• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tell me why: Yeah, please tell me why...

GrayChild

You know, if that game was released... like 10 years ago, maybe I wouldn't have hold anything against it.

But considering the cultural and historic revisionism the far-left tried to pull off with games like 'Kingdom Come: Deliverance', 'S.T.A.L.K.E.R', 'The Witcher' etc. and the overall backlash against anything that's even remotely conservative and traditionalist in gaming, I'd say that I'm actually happy with the hate this one is getting.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
You know, if that game was released... like 10 years ago, maybe I wouldn't have hold anything against it.

But considering the cultural and historic revisionism the far-left tried to pull off with games like 'Kingdom Come: Deliverance', 'S.T.A.L.K.E.R', 'The Witcher' etc. and the overall backlash against anything even remotely conservative in gaming, I'd say that I'm actually happy with the hate this one is getting.
As I've said I was in Kingdom Deliverance team and just the thought that we are unable to make game about Czech history, especially this well researched with actual historians is pretty crazy. And I don't think you can label those games as "Conservative", here there are no "Conservatives", all the party involved are post-communist* , yet most of them are left-leaning in a European sense.

*many of them was not in the Communistic party, but many of them was...but no one really like that, communism works this way. It's much more question of the self preservation, rather than political compass. My parents was not in the party and well, obviously they were fucked over hard. Sharing house? Why not. "Comrade you have such a nice 3 generations house, would shame if you have it just for yourself", etc...

Last edited:

PresetError

Neophyte
Uh. I don't think that's what hes saying though?

From what I understand, playing the game and seeing the story unfold it would seem that the game was actually likely to be more depressing for a trans person than it is to elevate or lift up their spirits.

And therefore, he believes the game is awful as it basically says "straight people bad, and everyone who isn't like you is going to hate you no matter what" which is completely flabbergasting to him.

I could be wrong, but that's what I understood.

Well, he said he played the game so we don't have to but... Sure. Maybe I was ranting.

You know what's the real drama? The real drama is a super interesting game like The Last Night almost got cancelled because of the "dangerous" ideas it contains and was blacklisted and 3 years in development hell because its director, Tim Soret, dared to express his political views about excessive progressivism on Twitter.

This trailer still gives me goosebumps.

So another station on the track was wrecked by woke train, Tell me why by DOTNOD and MS came out yesterday. I am not sure why I even played it after that trainwreck called Life is Strange 2. But well I did. Begining was kind of nice with the music and shit, however a lot of object were to just stare at it, with some text, which was immediatelly apparent that this will not really but that much fun. However after like an hour indetity politicy, fear mongering and "straight people bad" really ramped up and I was in disbelieve by amateur writing, on the nose storry telling, where there is not any kind of nuance it's just straight (*cough*) depression trip how everyone is againts you while being trans. Your crazy mom wanted you to kill you, you then killed her. After 1é years you find out that she at least study your condition and it changed everything and well so far one episode, so I am not sure how that ends, however I am not putting myself to the this torture again.

Funny thing is that not only the main character, which is obviously that brave trangender soul does not look particulary well within story and what he represents. And since my empathy kind of kicks in, due to a reason for who is this shit for, this fucking fear mongering, that everyone is going to be againts you, nobody will truly understand you and your only companion is your anti-social sister is pretty fucking ridiculous. I don't expect, aside from the GamePass and fans of DONTNOD (*cough*), to just go out and buy this..so who is this really for, aside from people dealing with the same stuff in their lives. And that's not healthy. If I would be coping with same condition it would make me feel more down than anything else.

But than again same shit was pulled out with LiS II, so why I am surprised...

So maybe my naivity made me launch this game, because you know, you still can makes storie while being while being any type of person, but DONTNOD choose not to and tell story about how bad is that while you are being trans person and nothing else. And some game mechanic are just cringy as fuck, some neural link, (which people sometimes bullshit themselfs about while in love), but not into this degree and not with his/her/their/atack helicopter's sibling, especially after 10 years of long time no see.

So basically:
- straight people bad
- zero tolerance if you misgender me
- old people bad
- parents bad

And most importantly
- alcoholic bad Yeah fuck you too Tyler...I mean Tyler as a Tyler, not Tyler as a Tyler, just so we are clear.

I played it just so you don't have to. And with that said LiS 1 and BTS is the shit. Also Remeber Me. Etc..

Basically this is all you have to see, to understand if you want to play it or not, because there is not much else:

DpXqZsX.jpg

"Developers made a game that was open about it's content buy im irrationally angry because it wasn't made the way I want it to be made" ----- the thread

M1chl

"Developers made a game that was open about it's content buy im irrationally angry because it wasn't made the way I want it to be made" ----- the thread
Who is angry? And who said that story cannot be told in some sophisticated manner?

I'm gonna be surprised if this studio is still open after this. I can't imagine Life is Strange 2 sold well, never heard anyone talking about it and I don't see this selling.

rob305

I loved LiS 1. Before the storm was decent too.
LiS 2 was a joke, still finished it but it was more like ridiculous comedy
Not touching this one though, hope there are a lot of people in their statistics who finished LiS1 and then decided not to touch this stuff

Roberts

Hmm, as a straight, white male I never felt like the game holds some sort of angst against people like me. Tyler is full of frustration (and it's totally understandable why) and his reaction towards certain characters is neither glorified nor condemned. People tend to act like that when they feel misunderstood. It's natural.

Was never interested in games like this. Tried few of them and abandoned soon after. This one is no different really, but something fascinated me about the setting. I think I'm halfway through and maybe, just maybe will see how it ends.

iorek21

This kind of games is a massive red flag for me, no desire to play them.

I wonder how successful this games are, seeing that they seem to appeal to a very niche target audience, or even a target audience that mostly doesn't even like games at all.

Huh...

Well, he said he played the game so we don't have to but... Sure. Maybe I was ranting.

You know what's the real drama? The real drama is a super interesting game like The Last Night almost got cancelled because of the "dangerous" ideas it contains and was blacklisted and 3 years in development hell because its director, Tim Soret, dared to express his political views about excessive progressivism on Twitter.

This trailer still gives me goosebumps.

Wait wait wait wait wait WHAT?!

Oh thank God it's still in development then, because I recall a new trailer (?) coming out recently and was super excited to see it finally come back out into the limelight.

This game deserves to come out :/

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Obviously, despite that I gave it my honest look, which obviously does not even imply that those games should not exist. That thread name was some word play only, they played themselves.

What are you trying to see with that screenshot in your OP? That the game is a "Trans training manual for parents" or something?

M1chl

Hmm, as a straight, white male I never felt like the game holds some sort of angst against people like me. Tyler is full of frustration (and it's totally understandable why) and his reaction towards certain characters is neither glorified nor condemned. People tend to act like that when they feel misunderstood. It's natural.

Was never interested in games like this. Tried few of them and abandoned soon after. This one is no different really, but something fascinated me about the setting. I think I'm halfway through and maybe, just maybe will see how it ends.
Fair enough, obviously my impression is slightly different.

These types of games require me to think way too much. Who plays these after a legit working day?
This one is exception, it's really straight forward. Actually I am way more exhausted by some precision shooting.

What are you trying to see with that screenshot in your OP? That the game is a "Trans training manual for parents" or something?
No, that basically all it revolves around being trans, having shitty parent, who possibly have read the book, nothing much more than that.

NullZ3r0

Banned
I loved LIS 2 and stomached the SJW bullshit. But if they're doubling down on this BS I won't bother with it.

No political issue is black and white and I hate people that try to make it seem so.

M1chl

I loved LIS 2 and stomached the SJW bullshit. But if they're doubling down on this BS I won't bother with it.

No political issue is black and white and I hate people that try to make it seem so.
The problem is, that this does not reflect trans issue in the political sense, rather than personal story which reflect of what you hear on twitter. With same level writing.

nowhat

They should just make a sequel to Vampyr but remove the stupid soulsborne combat repetition prominent in the game.

I was super in love with the opening 10 hours of the game.

But I got really sick of respawning enemies every time I leave an area for all of 5 minutes and come back being swarmed by the same enemies and placement over and over.

It's weird how I can accept that in soulsborne games, but when other games do it, I just can't stand it.
While I didn't enjoy the "Soulsborne" aspects of the game (as I didn't enjoy the combat that much - but for the record, I don't care for "Soulsborne" games either), I think the more major mishap was with the navigation. Like, at times you're able to "vampire warp" onto various ledges. That's all fine and good, thematically fitting and all. But most of the time, you are not. So you'll spend time trying to peek at ledges, which you cannot reach - until you can, because reasons. This kind of "mystery meat navigation" is terrible from a game design POV. And also that of the player's.

indetity politicy lol

I don't think English is his first language, if I recall from other threads.

On topic, yeah, I played LiS2 and liked it overall, but didn't like the direction it was taking. I might play this one, but I might skip it based on that picture in the OP. Yikes!

M1chl

I don't think English is his first language, if I recall from other threads.

On topic, yeah, I played LiS2 and liked it overall, but didn't like the direction it was taking. I might play this one, but I might skip it based on that picture in the OP. Yikes!
I also did not catch it even when he wrote, I am riddled with dyslexia, which makes me unable to properly proof read. Anyway, if it's that significant, that you can tell right away, then I am leaving defeated : D

mckmas8808

No, that basically all it revolves around being trans, having shitty parent, who possibly have read the book, nothing much more than that.

Are you saying the mainly the game basically all revolves around being trans and crappy parenting?

I also did not catch it even when he wrote, I am riddled with dyslexia, which makes me unable to properly proof read. Anyway, if it's that significant, that you can tell right away, then I am leaving defeated : D

Nah, your post is 99% grammatically fine.

Maybe get a copy of Nick Adam's book Raising Your Transgender Child if you want to improve your English.

M1chl

Are you saying the mainly the game basically all revolves around being trans and crappy parenting?
Yeah, I cannot tell that with certaintly, however I watched IGN and that review clearly showed that not much more that happens. They reviewed whole game.

Strongly disagree with the take in the OP, to the point where it feels like you played a different game entirely. This is coming from someone who was massively disappointing in Life Is Strange 2 and criticized it specifically for its cringe worthy political commentary and non-stop straw conservative caricatures. Tell Me Why handles its issues FAR more adeptly than Life is Strange 2.

However after like an hour indetity politicy, fear mongering and "straight people bad" really ramped up and I was in disbelieve by amateur writing, on the nose storry telling, where there is not any kind of nuance...

When is there ever a political position advocated on the basis of Tyler's gender identity? Unless by identity politics you just mean "having a trans character at all."

Also, there are numerous straight characters who are presented as decent people. Even the ones who are insensitive towards Tyler are still humanized with sympathetic aspects. Eddy Brown is affectionately praised by Alyson and is shown to be accepting of Tyler despite their issues, Tom Vecchi is portrayed as a perfectly pleasant normal dude, Alyson is straight so far as I could tell (mentions having an ex boyfriend) and she, of course, is portrayed positively. Hell, even Sam, the person who comes off really badly in regards to Tyler's trans identity is still shown to be a caring dude who took care of the Twins' house and cared after their mother. He's not portrayed as some monstrous bigot, just a guy who is down on his luck, behind the times and winds up saying some insensitive shit. Tyler can choose to lay into him or be more cordial depending on the option the player chooses, so you can even opt to try and meet him half way.

So where are you getting this "all straight people are bad" thing? It's seriously not in the game.

... it's just straight (*cough*) depression trip how everyone is againts you while being trans.

...Except for all the characters that are accepting of it?

this fucking fear mongering, that everyone is going to be againts you, nobody will truly understand you and your only companion is your anti-social sister is pretty fucking ridiculous.

What are you talking about? Thats in no way portrayed in the game. Tyler explicitly mentions all the people who accepted him while he was a mentor. He mentions that they helped him feel like he had a home. Within two seconds of meeting Micheal they're bonding over their mutual love of fishing. In no way does the game portray that "everyone is against you, nobody will understand you" if you're trans. This is in your head.

Your crazy mom wanted you to kill you, you then killed her. After 10 years you find out that she at least study your condition and it changed everything and well so far one episode, so I am not sure how that ends, however I am not putting myself to the this torture again.

At least study? You legit find out that she was accepting of Tyler's gender identity the whole time. You confirm it if you successfully solve the dialogue puzzle with Tessa. Which makes it really funny that you bring up the mother as an example of there being no nuance to anyone in the game. The whole story of their mom is that she may not have been the terrible person they assumed she was. Legit the most overtly transphobic character in the game is given depth, nuance, and a potential redemption arc. How are you bending that into just another person against Tyler?

Last edited:

NullZ3r0

Banned
The problem is, that this does not reflect trans issue in the political sense, rather than personal story which reflect of what you hear on twitter. With same level writing.
They went overboard with the "Go back to Mexico" white redneck stereotype in LiS2, so that's why I'm wary.

Azurro

Banned
I mean, aren't these Life Is Strange games basically a woke series (this Tell Me Why game is part of it, right?)? I would be surprised if it didn't have woke propaganda all over the place. I mean, the devs were very open about what it was.

The propaganda itself is a bit sad, but it didn't take over any existing IP and was made for a woke audience, so I don't really think there's any controversy there. As to whether it will be a financial success by only trying to target the woke religion, that's another story.

What a pointless thread. Basically farming likes from the resident TLOU2-haters with that screenshot at the end. Boiling the game down to this one picture tells me more about you than the game. So OP is an ignorant bigot, good to know. Like others have said, this game never tried to hide what it was about. The game looks good to me. I see it currently has 94% positive reviews on steam and a lot of good reviews from critics. Think I'll buy it at the steam fall or holiday sale later this year as I'm not really looking for something new to play right now.

Geki-D

Banned
...? I haven't played the game but isn't it meant to be a personal story? What exactly is the problem with a game telling a personal story? Loads of games do that.

Kadayi

Banned

Off topic:

👋 Mild dyslexic here I use the free version of Grammarly as a browser plugin which alleviates a lot of problems I find. I still do make mistakes now and then (which is why my posts are often edited) but it does a pretty good job of picking up a lot of them. I'd give it a recommend.

Kadayi

Banned
I mean, aren't these Life Is Strange games basically a woke series (this Tell Me Why game is part of it, right?)? I would be surprised if it didn't have woke propaganda all over the place. I mean, the devs were very open about what it was.

The first game is still worth playing. It's a little rough during the first episode (deliberately so) but is totally worth pushing through and it still holds up really well (replayed it again last year to 100% it), and is a really good game that does a lot with the whole choice and consequences thing.

Dolomite

We need a thread for this? You don't like the game story/ mechanics because it "makes" you look at life differently through narrative story telling? This is TLOU all over again🤦🏾‍♂️

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
The first game is still worth playing. It's a little rough during the first episode (deliberately so) but is totally worth pushing through and it still holds up really well (replayed it again last year to 100% it), and is a really good game that does a lot with the whole choice and consequences thing.

Really? I'd give it a shot, but I've seen spoilers about the story on outsideXbox and other channels on YouTube, so probably there's no point.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter

The propaganda itself is a bit sad, but it didn't take over any existing IP and was made for a woke audience, so I don't really think there's any controversy there. As to whether it will be a financial success by only trying to target the woke religion, that's another story.
"Propoganda" is a weird term to apply to a fictional story. These games aren't misleading anyone, they're fantasy. They do, however, prominently feature characters that are minorities (bisexual, Latino, trans). In TMW and LiS1/BtS this feels pretty incidental, though.

LiS2 is the only one of them that feels overtly political. They avoid mentioning Trump by name, but it's set against the backdrop of the 2016 election, features a wrongful police shooting, and a lot of rednecks who don't like Mexicans, so it's pretty fucking hard to miss.

SF Kosmo

61qWZ87gG7L.jpg

51v3C5LCgvL.jpg

You have lost 13 woke points right now for this unexcusable ignorance regarding trans childs rights literature, SF Kosmo SF Kosmo .

You are now basically as bad as a white person.
That's a different book. I haven't read that one either, but not for the same reason.

My take on this subject is not especially woke, I am in favor of being supportive of kids exploring alternative gender expression, but against labeling them as anything specific until they're mature enough to have a grasp on their sexuality. I don't think "trans" and gender transition is a good one-size-fits-all if your kid is queer and some parents are too quick to jump on that.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

They went overboard with the "Go back to Mexico" white redneck stereotype in LiS2, so that's why I'm wary.

Did they go overboard with it? I didn't play it, but many in America feel that way about Latinos.

Transgender game. I'm shocked it didn't get all 10/10s based off that alone.

So maybe this should change your outlook on if games like this get unfair high scores.

SF Kosmo

Did they go overboard with it? I didn't play it, but many in America feel that way about Latinos.
They definitely could have used a lighter touch, and I say that as someone who very much enjoyed the game. Racist characters feel one dimensional and dialed up to 11, which is often how white people write about racism, because they're less tuned into the more subtle ways racism manifests.

Nickolaidas

So another station on the track was wrecked by woke train, Tell me why by DOTNOD and MS came out yesterday. I am not sure why I even played it after that trainwreck called Life is Strange 2. But well I did. Begining was kind of nice with the music and shit, however a lot of object were to just stare at it, with some text, which was immediatelly apparent that this will not really but that much fun. However after like an hour indetity politicy, fear mongering and "straight people bad" really ramped up and I was in disbelieve by amateur writing, on the nose storry telling, where there is not any kind of nuance it's just straight (*cough*) depression trip how everyone is againts you while being trans. Your crazy mom wanted you to kill you, you then killed her. After 1é years you find out that she at least study your condition and it changed everything and well so far one episode, so I am not sure how that ends, however I am not putting myself to the this torture again.

Funny thing is that not only the main character, which is obviously that brave trangender soul does not look particulary well within story and what he represents. And since my empathy kind of kicks in, due to a reason for who is this shit for, this fucking fear mongering, that everyone is going to be againts you, nobody will truly understand you and your only companion is your anti-social sister is pretty fucking ridiculous. I don't expect, aside from the GamePass and fans of DONTNOD (*cough*), to just go out and buy this..so who is this really for, aside from people dealing with the same stuff in their lives. And that's not healthy. If I would be coping with same condition it would make me feel more down than anything else.

But than again same shit was pulled out with LiS II, so why I am surprised...

So maybe my naivity made me launch this game, because you know, you still can makes storie while being while being any type of person, but DONTNOD choose not to and tell story about how bad is that while you are being trans person and nothing else. And some game mechanic are just cringy as fuck, some neural link, (which people sometimes bullshit themselfs about while in love), but not into this degree and not with his/her/their/atack helicopter's sibling, especially after 10 years of long time no see.

So basically:
- straight people bad
- zero tolerance if you misgender me
- old people bad
- parents bad

And most importantly
- alcoholic bad Yeah fuck you too Tyler...I mean Tyler as a Tyler, not Tyler as a Tyler, just so we are clear.

I played it just so you don't have to. And with that said LiS 1 and BTS is the shit. Also Remeber Me. Etc..

Basically this is all you have to see, to understand if you want to play it or not, because there is not much else:

DpXqZsX.jpg
But ... it was X-Box's Game of the Year.

So this thread is funny cause on REEEE ERA. They are literally screaming (and VICE review ) that this is not progressive enough and that it is not correct way to show a trans-character because the character is not being abused 24/7.

Fuck it I'll give this game a go, since REEE is now spiraling out of control

GHG

Gold Member
61qWZ87gG7L.jpg

51v3C5LCgvL.jpg

You have lost 13 woke points right now for this unexcusable ignorance regarding trans childs rights literature, SF Kosmo SF Kosmo .

You are now basically as bad as a white person.

The whole concept of this book boggles my mind. How is it even a thing?

When I was a kid we didn't even know about the concept of being transgender.

If it's something somebody wants to do it should only undertaken once they are an adult and mature enough to make their own decisions.

mckmas8808

They definitely could have used a lighter touch, and I say that as someone who very much enjoyed the game. Racist characters feel one dimensional and dialed up to 11, which is often how white people write about racism, because they're less tuned into the more subtle ways racism manifests.

Great point! Gotcha.

If it's something somebody wants to do it should only undertaken once they are an adult and mature enough to make their own decisions.

Because you can be Trans "AND" under the age 18.

Last edited:

The book could very well be about raising a child with gender dysphoria. Medically transitioning children is whole other issue. It's not uncommon for people with gender dysphoria to develop it at a young age. In fact IIRC that's what is most likely to happen with some peoples dysphoria alleviating naturally during puberty.

SF Kosmo

In the modern use, being "trans" is not something that happens at the moment you medically transition. Even if you wait until you're 30 to take hormones and get surgery, you are still understood to have been trans as a child.

So trans children exist. But I'm inclined to agree that decisions about transition, or even labeling the kid, are best left for when they're older, because it can be too hard to tell if a kid is truly trans, or just gender non-conforming, gay, or something else. Kids will often see the world in binary terms, and when they don't fit in one side of that binary, they try to fit in the other, when neither may be entirely right. If it was my kid, I would respect whatever name/pronoun/expression choices they wanted to make, but encourage them to consider the full range of expression before making a decision.

I am not sure how the book addresses this though. I have no issue with the concept of the book in theory.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Really? I'd give it a shot, but I've seen spoilers about the story on outsideXbox and other channels on YouTube, so probably there's no point.

I would say it's worth it. I think if you are big on narrative in games LIS 1 is a must-play just in terms of some of the things it pulls off. With that said, it's not an out and out 10/10 Masterpiece and it does get a little clunky and a bit groanworthy in places but for the most part it's an engaging story that takes some interesting turns that will definitely have you going: -

tenor.gif

Throughout, though as I said earlier on that first chapter can be a bit rough and you've gotta push through.

Personally I'd like to see a full remaster come next-gen using the more advanced tech of the later games.

Also dope soundtrack

I liked Life is Strange quite a bit. I didn't enjoy BtS that much but I still managed to play it to completion. Captain Autism or whatever that was called left me absolutely indifferent. I wouldn't touch LiS2 with a ten foot pole. Now I'm actively angry at the existence of this pandering piece of shit.

It's funny how every new DONTNOD game gets a worse reaction from the than the previous one. I fully expect their next game to make me spontaneously burst in flames or something.

Top Bottom