• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tell Me Why is free to own throughout Pride Month

And thats the problem with the current world, worrying about what certain people think, or offending people. They are employees, fuck em.
I‘d be offended if my employer would make an issue out of who or what I‘m fucking, period. Don‘t need a pad on my back for what I‘m doing in my private time.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Free game is free game so ima gonna check it out as i just finished God of War last night, is this similar in style to What remains of Edith Finch? Cause i thought that game absolutely brilliant (would make an amazing PSVR game tbf) also state of some posters on this thread.. its the fucking 21st century lads/lassies... just saying like

Kikorin

I loved Life is Strange and it's prequel, so I'm more than happy to take this one for free. If the story is good, I can't care less if the main character is gay, lesbian or everything.

GymWolf

There's a lot of push for this stuff. Strange other issues don't get pushed this way.

It's also a bad game, no one played it the first time and I don't think many people played LiS2 either.

I'm not even sure why people liked LiS1.
People love hipsters, timeloops and theCW tier serial tv.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Again you're conflating a bunch of LGBT (mostly T) agenda pushing institutions like Mermaids, Stonewall (now separated from LBG Alliance btw) and the like with the actual current or reality of the LGB community. Some deer-identified person on Twitch or the hordes of blue-haired demikin on Twitter absolutely do not represent the LGBT community as a whole and to think that they do or that the entirety of that community exists on social media, Kotaku forums, and nowhere else is myopic and just dense.

There is a huge silent majority of lesbians, bisexuals and gay men who want nothing, absolutely nothing, to do with the current ideology and movement. Most of us, especially women, fought for centuries for a level of cultural acceptance founded on sex-based rights and spaces that is now being rolled back wholesale under the insidious guise of compassion. Aside from the game containing that exact toxic messaging, it's also just not very good: looking, playing, take your pick. Most of the reviews, of course, weren't focused on the game, but the politics, anyway, which is a piss poor way to review, you know, a video game.

this isnt about you ok?! Just being gay doesnt cut it anymore.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
jimmy fallon performance GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Duchess

That sounds incredibly frustrating, hope you got it refunded!
Well, lucky for me I was playing it on PS Now, but I was soon to buy the physical release. I probably would've mailed it back to the publisher and asked them for a refund..!

Edit: I meant PS Now.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

Oh my goodness why even respond just to spew garbage.

First I’ve flat out stated I’ve never played it and it’s not my type of game. If anyone finds themselves “pushed” to download this game based on anything I’ve said they are morons. I never recommended the game.

Secondly, I’m not defending their honor lmao. I’m making the point of when enough is enough. I completely get shitting on companies that do what Bethesda did for example, change a couple profile picks while even leaving the Middle East one unchanged. That’s garbage. But this studio made a game that it seems at least tried to be respectful to the lgbt community and offered it free for pride month. What’s worth all the bitching? And also, how much else do we exactly expect companies to do? Go to the Middle East and have your same sex employees make out with each other? I’m sorry for being a party pooper on people coming to post their cute little edgy memes of one of the most over used jokes of the year.

And finally, because the golden age of this forum in particular was when we had leakers and developers alike posting here. Just like the point you made about lgbt people not all being the same hive mind, there are plenty of genuinely passionate devs that would love to come and interact and explain stuff from behind the scenes with the gaming community that have flat out decided to steer clear due to nothing but toxicity. Endless whining and memes about a literal free game is an absolutely perfect example of that. Not even free like ps plus “free” where you are technically paying, but literally just free. It’s just a tad bit too much.
You aren’t pushing it? But you felt the need to browbeat a poster about the “great reviews” and word of mouth it has gotten. Sounds like pushing it to me, but whatever.

no one is saying the game shouldn’t exist. They just don’t care about a pandering marketing move, which this is. Again, why is that not enough for you?

lastly, developers would rather post in their bubbles on Twitter, where they can mute or bIock anything they don’t want to see. No one is competing with. I would rather people be honest than walk on eggshells because they might offend a holier than thou dev

DaGwaphics

LiS was the best story driven choice based game I‘ve ever played (and I played all david cage games, until dawn and left for dead games and a few more). Enjoy it :)

Because I liked LiS that much I‘ll try Tell me why. Hope it doesn‘t slap me with wokeism in the face.

You should give it a go. The story is much more about the consequences of judging situations/others entirely from your own lens, more than anything else.

Renozokii

You aren’t pushing it? But you felt the need to browbeat a poster about the “great reviews” and word of mouth it has gotten. Sounds like pushing it to me, but whatever.

no one is saying the game shouldn’t exist. They just don’t care about a pandering marketing move, which this is. Again, why is that not enough for you?

lastly, developers would rather post in their bubbles on Twitter, where they can mute or bIock anything they don’t want to see. No one is competing with. I would rather people be honest than walk on eggshells because they might offend a holier than thou dev
>You aren’t pushing it? But you felt the need to browbeat a poster about the “great reviews” and word of mouth it has gotten. Sounds like pushing it to me, but whatever.

I was defending my point about the game being well regarded. I never said anything about my view on the quality of the game. I never said to download it and I never said it’s a great game. Fail to see how I’m pushing it.

>no one is saying the game shouldn’t exist. They just don’t care about a pandering marketing move, which this is. Again, why is that not enough for you?

Pandering is subjective first of all. Beyond that if marketing moves start involving totally free games more often sign me up.

>lastly, developers would rather post in their bubbles on Twitter, where they can mute or bIock anything they don’t want to see. No one is competing with. I would rather people be honest than walk on eggshells because they might offend a holier than thou dev

Just because mods here will let differing opinions stay up longer don’t mistake this for anything but a bubble. Anyone that disagrees with the general viewpoints of this place are long gone.

If you're a fan of narrative adventure games, it's a solid title. The game actually handles the trans topic with a deft touch, it's a big part of Tyler's character but far from the sole focus of the story and not the main thrust of the mystery (although it seems like it is at first). There is some cringe for sure, the worst of it is optional and can be avoided by nope-ing out of the romance subplot in the few scenes they bothered devoting to it.

It's a much better title than LiS 2, doesn't measure up to LiS 1 imo but the story its trying to tell is a more modest/grounded one. Had no faith in DontNod to make a game I enjoyed after the debacle of Life is Strange 2 but I was pleasantly surprised by Tell Me Why. Of course, my hopes were only raised so high before going subterranean after playing the horrendous Twin Mirror... but that's a story for another day.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Ok. I played LiS1 and it was fine I guess. Oh and which month is straight pride month btw, I keep forgetting. And which games are free then.

Last edited:

Renozokii

You dont need to feel sorry for anyone. Different people having different views on life is a good thing, and what a boring world it would be if we were all a hive mind with no free thinking allowed. :messenger_smiling:

The thing is not much of what I’m saying is really my view, right. Pride month will happen again next year, and the year after, and the year after that. Probably till we’re both dead. These massive corporations have immense firms that calculate everything possible surrounding pr and marketing and pride month is an obvious huge win considering how hard they all go for it. Not to mention companies like Apple that are literally led by a member of the lgbt community that will push them to do something for it. You can continue getting your panties in a knot every time you see a company change their Twitter pic to pride colors or you can realize that in reality not only is what, only 5% of this country lgbt, but of that 5% an even far, far smaller are the blue haired deer folk you see on Twitter. And understand that the vast majority of the lgbt community is literally just people that live as you and I do that simply enjoy having a period of recognition and celebration considering there is still a reality two dudes holding hands can lead to a beating in many parts of the country. And death in other parts of the world. Yea it’s free thinking to say cooperations shouldn’t give a shit what their employees think or feel, and it’s also free thinking to say you think we should allow child labor again so cooperations can get cheaper labor. In both cases I can point out the stupidity of that statement. The ole freedom of speech but not freedom of critique or consequences thing. So busy hating on “that other forum” and the super evil sjws that you literally lose touch with reality. And for that I do feel sorry for you.

Umbral

So I went through your post history (can’t since you hid it)
That’s weird. I’ve never gone through someone’s post history. You can just ask what I think.

I’d find 0 examples of you saying any general statements about Xbox fans, PlayStation fans, console, pc, game developers, the gaming industry, any website, and basically any group of people ever?
That’s an absurd question and you know the answer, so why ask it? Generalizations are necessary in certain contexts to have a conversation, what I have an issue with is the collectivist mindset of putting people into ”communities.” Nobody, without being elected, and not even then in my view, can speak for a group of people. There are no “communities.”

Umbral

I think it makes a lot of sense to do it this way because the country in the middle doesn't like the pride flag.
That’s the joke.

They don’t care about gay people and standing up for them, they care about cynically using a gay person’s identity to siphon money from them through corporate virtue marketing. The people who make this sort of decision are cowardly slime of the lowest grade.

Goalus

That’s the joke.

They don’t care about gay people and standing up for them, they care about cynically using a gay person’s identity to siphon money from them through corporate virtue marketing. The people who make this sort of decision are cowardly slime of the lowest grade.
I know that's the "joke", but I'd say maybe they care about gay people, but also don't want to hurt the feelings of this particular country's administration because they also deeply care about them, so they opted for a solution where everyone can be happy.

That’s the joke.

That I totally agree with. In this case, they’re actually giving away a game for free with good representation which I don’t think is quite the same thing, but I don’t even care about what anyone’s opinion is on that.

What I dislike is people coming into the thread and using it as a way to express their homophobia (whether mild/‘just joking’ or more severe) by posting stupid, unfunny gay ‘jokes’ and complaining about ‘gay propaganda’, that’s fucking annoying. And I’m not talking about cancelling everything, banning even the tiniest ‘offensive’ things or anything like ResetEra do, but apparently you can’t be a normal person in the middle here. It’s either, extreme right wing, anti gay shit, or those people will tell you that you belong on Ree with the SJWs.

As a gay man, I just want an open platform to discuss games where things aren’t cancelled and you aren’t banned for disagreeing slightly with the consensus, but also without the dumb, childish gay jokes I had to listen to every day of my teenage years and without the homophobia of an LGBT game character being called “gay propaganda”, like my sexuality is some fucking brainwashing regime.

Last edited:

Umbral

I know that's the "joke", but I'd say maybe they care about gay people, but also don't want to hurt the feelings of this particular country's administration because they also deeply care about them, so they opted for a solution where everyone can be happy.
If it is ok for them to acquiesce to the culture of the middle east when it comes to homosexuality, then why would it be wrong were they to acquiesce to supposed “right-wing” or “conservative” culture in the U.S. in the same way?

This is a problem with cultural relativism. “It’s their culture. Who are we to tell them how to live?” is applied selectively. It’s logically inconsistent.

An American company would say “Tough shit. We support gay people. If you don’t like it, that’s ok.” Instead, they speak out of two different mouths depending on their audience.

If it is ok for them to acquiesce to the culture of the middle east when it comes to homosexuality, then why would it be wrong were they to acquiesce to supposed “right-wing” or “conservative” culture in the U.S. in the same way?

This is a problem with cultural relativism. “It’s their culture. Who are we to tell them how to live?” is applied selectively. It’s logically inconsistent.

An American company would say “Tough shit. We support gay people. If you don’t like it, that’s ok.” Instead, they speak out of two different mouths depending on their audience.

You are 100% spot on!

spons

Gold Member
People who throw gays off of buildings, stone them to death or just plain torture them are potential customers indeed.

Goalus

People who throw gays off of buildings, stone them to death or just plain torture them are potential customers indeed.
It's highly likely that this is a big part of the reason why lots of companies try not to hurt their feelings.

mcjmetroid

Nobody said anything about cheering it on. In fact, most of this thread to which my comment was referencing has absolutely nothing to do with the thread topic of the free game, just childish gay jokes that aren't even in the slightest bit funny unless you're a 12 year old, they're just embarrassing.

But sure, carry on deflecting with your straw man argument.
oh get over yourself and get a sense of humour.

I say this as a gay fella and I also say this as someone who sees through companies embarassing PR stunts during pride.
It's embarassing and deserves to be made fun of.

tell me why there must be so much gay propaganda
and then on the other side we have posters like this.

"progaganda"
Jesus dude grow up

Last edited:
Oh man, I had wanted to play this game for yonks, but the constant random crashes made it completely unplayable. It would crash on my PS4 at least once an hour, sometimes 2 or 3 times.

The atmosphere was great, even if the combat was merely serviceable. Real shame.

How long ago did you try playing it? I played it a few months back and didn't experience problems like that. They probably patched it since you played.

oh get over yourself and get a sense of humour.

I say this as a gay fella and I also say this as someone who sees through companies embarassing PR stunts during pride.
It's embarassing and deserves to be made fun of.

and then on the other side we have posters like this.

"progaganda"
Jesus dude grow up

The propaganda/other actual subtle anti-gay comments and then just dumb comments like “sounds gay” were my issue, not people joking about companies pandering to gay people, I’m not a fan of companies doing that either, but I do think offering a game with some representation for free is better than just changing a profile pic for example, but that’s neither here nor there as it wasn’t my point.

In fact, that’s literally what my comment that you replied to said. Someone else accused me of being stuck up a corporations ass over their gay pandering (with intent to profit) and I said that that was nothing to do with my comment, I wasn’t talking about those people.

Last edited:

Renozokii

That’s weird. I’ve never gone through someone’s post history. You can just ask what I think.

That’s an absurd question and you know the answer, so why ask it? Generalizations are necessary in certain contexts to have a conversation, what I have an issue with is the collectivist mindset of putting people into ”communities.” Nobody, without being elected, and not even then in my view, can speak for a group of people. There are no “communities.”
>That’s weird. I’ve never gone through someone’s post history. You can just ask what I think.

Well if we hold people to ridiculous standard, like not being able to generalize anything, we should be upheld to that, no?

>That’s an absurd question and you know the answer, so why ask it? Generalizations are necessary in certain contexts to have a conversation

No need to bs please. Generalizations are just used in certain contexts where they are necessary, they are broad, core parts of today’s vernacular, and more often than not they are common sense,

>what I have an issue with is the collectivist mindset of putting people into ”communities.” Nobody, without being elected, and not even then in my view, can speak for a group of people. There are no “communities.”

Revelations happening here from the greatest mind at gaf. You are right, there is no king or parliament of lgbt people. Due to that, I went with the next best thing, a collection of user, critical, and award ceremony reception from the game to gauge the level of like the game in general got from the community it was aimed at. I didn’t say literally all gay or trans people love the game.

Umbral

>That’s weird. I’ve never gone through someone’s post history. You can just ask what I think.

Well if we hold people to ridiculous standard, like not being able to generalize anything, we should be upheld to that, no?
I never claimed you couldn’t make generalizations. I was reinforcing CAB_Life CAB_Life ’s point.
>That’s an absurd question and you know the answer, so why ask it? Generalizations are necessary in certain contexts to have a conversation

No need to bs please. Generalizations are just used in certain contexts where they are necessary, they are broad, core parts of today’s vernacular, and more often than not they are common sense,
That’s what I said.
>what I have an issue with is the collectivist mindset of putting people into ”communities.” Nobody, without being elected, and not even then in my view, can speak for a group of people. There are no “communities.”

Revelations happening here from the greatest mind at gaf. You are right, there is no king or parliament of lgbt people. Due to that, I went with the next best thing, a collection of user, critical, and award ceremony reception from the game to gauge the level of like the game in general got from the community it was aimed at. I didn’t say literally all gay or trans people love the game.
Hardly the greatest mind, but I’m no idiot. I truthfully don’t care about this game or its reception or the developer that made it. I only posted to strike a blow at this “[insert ’marginalized’ group] community” concept that people keep using.

Duchess

How long ago did you try playing it? I played it a few months back and didn't experience problems like that. They probably patched it since you played.
Around October last year. I got as far as the beginning of Chapter 4 before quitting due to the constant crashing.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
If you enjoyed Life is Strange I would definitely give it a go. They could have easily named this a Life is Strange game and I wouldn't have thought twice about it. It's a little shorter and smaller than LiS 1 and 2, more like Before the Storm, but what's there is good. I enjoyed it.

There literally no reason to be offended by this game other than a trans person existing in it, like it's not even really about trans issues or anything it's more of a family story than anything.

No thank you. There's too much propaganda about that shit elsewhere already.
Is it propoganda just to have a trans person being alive in a game?

This isn't Boys Don't Cry, it's not even about like dealing with violence or bigotry, being trans is fairly incidental to the story in the end.

Last edited:

junguler

Banned
i watched a stream of this game by that kiwi farms guy, josh moon. game seems awful, even if it's free, you still have to waste bandwidth, hard drive space and time to play it.

dottme

I've tried it a little. But it looks extremely slow to start and nothing is going on. I've played few scene and it looks like I just know they are brother and sister and we are in Alaska.
I'll push further but the start is really slow.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I've tried it a little. But it looks extremely slow to start and nothing is going on. I've played few scene and it looks like I just know they are brother and sister and we are in Alaska.
I'll push further but the start is really slow.

It's a DONTNOD adventure game. That's the game.

Top Bottom