• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tell me about a feature you love that people don't know about/use?

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
I was recently playing Dark Souls 3 on PS5 with a couple of friends and was showing one of them (a new to PS4 player) Share Play and how you can play "locally" over the internet, pass the controls back and forth, and stream your gameplay directly to each other. They thought this was cool, which it is if you both have decent internet, but my mind was blown when I did the same with another PS5 user and we both discovered picture in picture share screen streaming.

9BZYqHE.jpg

In the above picture my friend's screen is in the little panel on the right. That panel is placable as well so you can move it if you don't want it there. It doesn't capture their footage when you take screenshots or video while using this so I had to capture off screen.

It was so nice to be able to see what my friend was looking at and be able to coordinate while playing PvP or tracking progress when we were in solo zones. I have yet to try this much with other games, but it really just had me floored at how far we've come since the early days of online multiplayer.

The other feature that I would recommend checking out if you haven't is Steam's family sharing: https://store.steampowered.com/promotion/familysharing
It's a great way to boost your library and share with others.

Finally I would like to call out the PS App, which has improved significantly in the last year. You can easily purchase and download content to your PS4 and PS5, and I now use it more than my console to manage downloads and storage on my PS5.

With all the platforms out there I figure there are other amazing features that I am unaware of, so tell me...

What are some of your favorite unknown or underappreciated features and capabilities you like to game with?

Remote play on steam is also amazing. It would be like the Demon souls example, but natively with thousands of games. I played outward for the first time this way, through a friend's account, and immediately bought the game afterwards.

Also, deleting system32 folder will give you unlimited frames jp

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

Same as OP. Shareplay is a feature underused but extremely helpful. You can even use someone else game as a demo to see if it's for you.

Same with mobile app. Use it for shopping, downloading games, storage space on PS5.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
Voice activated command program (like Voice Attack). So say you have a complex series of keybinds or motions to execute. You just use a simple word command to trigger the macro action. I would often use it for newtonian-physics space sims where I want my thrusters to fire off in evasive maneuvers so I can spend all my focus on aiming and firing when heavily outnumbered. There have been many applications ive found it to be useful on though; mostly plane flying and space ship flying. A lot of simulators benefit from such systems.

Banned
A little known PS5 trick is you can watch YT videos while playing a game. I used this the other day while platting Sackboy.

very unpopular feature, so unpopular that they patched it out of the Xbox One OS a long time ago... I kinda like the idea of having that option, but I kinda get why 99% of people don't use it

S0ULZB0URNE

In party chat with Xbox Series X and PS5 you can click on a member of the party and turn the volume of there voice up or down.

Might sound cheesy to most but I appreciate this.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
People probably know the fuck out of this (those that like the game enough to bother) but this last playthrough was the first time I realized Chocobos could swim in FFXV.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If you didn't have an intellivision, you might not know this, but you could actually pause the game/system right there in the moment. If you pressed 1+9 or 3 +7, the screen would black out. Then you press a button or the disc to resume.

So in a way it's a legacy version of quick resume, but of course you couldnt turn your system off.

Last edited:
I regularly use the Xbox Game Bar on Windows... even tho most people hate it for some reason

xbox-game-bar-yeni-araclarla-guncellendi.jpg
I use it a lot too but I wish MS would include a browser that isn't shit and that the Spotify widget would have more features. Steam overlay is ok but Game Bar works with all launchers (or it should. Some games don't seem to play nice with it).

Guilty_AI

Don't know how many people know these ones, but here's a bunch i remember:
-Family sharing and remote play on steam, as already mentioned by some
-You can sell the trading cards you gain when playing games on steam. It doesn't really give much but its free money. They're on your inventory.
-In Steam>Settings>Library, theres a bunch of checkboxes that might help improving Steam's performance and bandwidth consumption if you're ever having trouble with those things.
-Install GOG games in multiple machines in your house to play LAN with your family or coming friends (assuming the game supports it), and yes GOG is perfectly ok with it.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
I can't think of any secret or little-known features.

I do like that I can just plug my controller into the console with a usb cable and never have to think about batteries or charging.
Been going through some latency issues with my BT adapter (srsly... idk how else to fix them, any suggestion?) and the cable have been my salvation for gaming!

Top Bottom