• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
The only thing I dont like from having multiple OLED televisions is the fact that you always have to babysit it. Can't keep HUD in games on, which is annoying after a while.
You don't have to babysit it. You should vary the content, such as play different games, watch youtube, movies etc. I put in 40+ hours of Dark Souls 1, 3, Borderlands 1, Borderlands 2 and now Borderlands 3 to name a select few games with static HUD elements and haven't had any issues whatsoever. I've also watched sports with static elements. I also watch youtube, Netflix etc.
Only if you're a gamer that is only going to play one game on it and use it for nothing else, it could be an issue over time. But if you do even a little bit of content variation, like watching regular TV, Netflix, youtube it shouldn't be an issue.

Last edited:

Achillias

You don't have to babysit it. You should vary the content, such as play different games, watch youtube, movies etc. I put in 40+ hours of Dark Souls 1, 3, Borderlands 1, Borderlands 2 and now Borderlands 3 to name a select few games with static HUD elements and haven't had any issues whatsoever. I've also watched sports with static elements. I also watch youtube, Netflix etc.
Only if you're a gamer that is only going to play one game on it and use it for nothing else, it could be an issue over time. But if you do even a little bit of content variation, like watching regular TV, Netflix, youtube it shouldn't be an issue.
This is just not true, OLED wear doesn't work like that. It's cumulative. Every minute/hour you got a HUD on it degrade the individual pixels. With OLED it doesn't matter if you play 30 minutes every day or 140 minutes in just one play session. It also doesn't matter if you only watch YouTube or movies. A pixel doesn't see the difference between a YouTube video, a movie or playing games. It's the variation in static content that matters.

Siri

Banned
I am shocked that this didn’t get more press since Nvidia taking advantage of HDMI 2.1 is a big deal and makes the LG OLEDs potentially the best monitors.

However I look forward to testing results and would like to know to know if it’s full bandwidth.

Someone at another forum confirmed that the 2019 LG OLED displays will not go above 60Hz at 4K when connected to an RTX 2080TI via HDMI - but that at least one company is working on an HDMI to Display Port converter, which theoretically will allow the LG display to run upwards of 120Hz at 4K.

Also, what are the odds that the RTX 3080s will have HDMI 2.1? - that would be the best solution right there.

I was actually considering the new 55 inch Alienware OLED display (with Freesync) - but with this recent announcement from Nvidia only a fool would spend CAD $5,500 on such a display when virtually the same tech can be purchased for a whopping 50% less.

I think that within the next 12 months we’ll be able to connect these vrr OLED displays to our monitors and experience 40-120Hz gaming at 4K, with HDR to boot - a massive, massive upgrade for any pc gamer.

These LG displays are reasonably priced too. Pretty exciting, actually.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Those of you with Samsung tvs, have you used the built in free sync support? And if you have is there a way to get nvidia gpu's to utilize it?

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
This is just not true, OLED wear doesn't work like that. It's cumulative. Every minute/hour you got a HUD on it degrade the individual pixels. With OLED it doesn't matter if you play 30 minutes every day or 140 minutes in just one play session. It also doesn't matter if you only watch YouTube or movies. A pixel doesn't see the difference between a YouTube video, a movie or playing games. It's the variation in static content that matters.
Over time it will degrade yes, but it takes many years.
Those of you with Samsung tvs, have you used the built in free sync support? And if you have is there a way to get nvidia gpu's to utilize it?
as of right now it’s not happening since it’s HDMI.

CyberPanda

Banned
Not really. I got my panel replaced after almost 2 years of usage. And the engineer who did the panel replaced told me that he had many OLED customers from LG recently.
Just wait till Micro LED becomes more popular. I might get a new TV then.

Last edited:

Trimesh

Banned
Then why does my tv even have freesync options?

The short answer is that "Freesync" is just AMD's name for their implementation of the VESA adaptive frame rate protocol, so any display that supports VESA AFR can say it supports Freesync. The reason it's badly supported by nVidia cards is that they have their own AFR protocol that requires licensing and payment of fees and they would much rather people use that. Hence, although they have grudgingly started supporting VESA AFR, they have crippled the support as much as possible.

Recently added a 65 C8 to the collection (55 B7 in the bedroom now and my mom has my 65 E6). Looking forward to hopefully adding the 77 C9 next when they go on clearance. Really wanted the new HDMI spec on the C9, but the deal on got on the 8 was too good to pass.

Siri

Banned
The more I think about this, the more I’m starting to realize that we PC gamers are about to see an OLED revolution occur - vastly bigger monitors with deep dark blacks. The days of crappy little displays with backlight bleed are finally coming to an end.

(On a personal note, I hadn’t understood the significance of HDMI 2.1. Now that Nvidia’s jumping onto this vrr thing it really opens the door to great new monitor tech.)

Last edited:

DarkBatman

Not really. I got my panel replaced after almost 2 years of usage. And the engineer who did the panel replaced told me that he had many OLED customers from LG recently.

It actually depends on your setting (OLED at 100 or 70 can be a huge difference) and what kind of HUD you're having.
Strong red and yellow colors could be a problem after 100+ hours. They don't have to be, but there's a slight chance.
So it's not really dangerous, if you want to play one game for 90-100 hours overall. Playing ONE game for some years (for example Overwatch) could be problematic.

That being said, I used my OLED B6 many games in the last two years, with 100+ hours of SKYRIM, RDR2 and PERSONA 5.
Yesterday I started a burn-in test video on Youtube and saw nothing, not even the slightest hint of burn-in.
All burn-in protection are activated, the OLED light is on 74.
I don't have to babysit it. I just had to find the right configuration and am really with it now.

Achillias

It actually depends on your setting (OLED at 100 or 70 can be a huge difference) and what kind of HUD you're having.
Strong red and yellow colors could be a problem after 100+ hours. They don't have to be, but there's a slight chance.
So it's not really dangerous, if you want to play one game for 90-100 hours overall. Playing ONE game for some years (for example Overwatch) could be problematic.

That being said, I used my OLED B6 many games in the last two years, with 100+ hours of SKYRIM, RDR2 and PERSONA 5.
Yesterday I started a burn-in test video on Youtube and saw nothing, not even the slightest hint of burn-in.
All burn-in protection are activated, the OLED light is on 74.
I don't have to babysit it. I just had to find the right configuration and am really with it now.
OLED light does matter but not many people with an OLED from 2017 or earlier did know the effects of OLED light and how much it could degrade a panel when the light output is set to high (no warning from LG either on that matter). I got the FIFA HUD and YouTube logo burned in on my old panel. But that panel got replaced with a brand new one. What are your settings by the way.

Last edited:

dave_d

I am shocked that this didn’t get more press since Nvidia taking advantage of HDMI 2.1 is a big deal and makes the LG OLEDs potentially the best monitors.

However I look forward to testing results and would like to know to know if it’s full bandwidth.
Last I've heard it's going to require an updated Geforce driver and LG firmware and I don't think either are out yet. Hopefully they'll have support for the 970 so I can try it out.

Siri

Banned
My present monitor (for my PC) is the X34 from Acer - my first 21:9 Gsync panel.

I’m now ready to game on a huge OLED display on my PC. I’ll give up 21:9, but I won’t give up variable refresh rates. So I’m waiting for three things.

1) LG to release a firmware update to its C9 displays, thus allowing VRR to function with my 2080 Ti.
2) Nvidia to release a driver that will support VRR with the C9 display.
3) Realtek to release an HDMI 2.1 to Display Port 1.4 converter, thus allowing for refresh rates higher than 60Hz.

When is all of this going to happen? Nvidia and LG said ‘later this year’. They need to be more precise.

Siri

Banned
Nvidia has just released 441.08 which adds Gsync compatibility to the 2019 LG OLED tv displays.

Can anyone here with an LG C9 confirm that a firmware update has been released allowing for variable refresh rates when connected to an RTX card from NVIDIA?

(I’m tempted to go out and buy a 55 inch C9 as soon as I’m finished work today. I can’t wait to advance beyond these crappy backlit displays which have haunted us for almost two decades now.)

Last edited:

Durask

I play PC games on either Gsync 144Hz 1440p monitor or my plasma TV.

Plasma to me is better because it has barely any motion blur. No matter what I do with my PC monitor I still have motion blur to some degree.

So I'd rather keep playing plasma at 1060/60 than my LCD monitor at 1440/144.

I think I will definitely keep the plasma even when PS5 comes out.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch

Plasma to me is better because it has barely any motion blur. No matter what I do with my PC monitor I still have motion blur to some degree.

Understandable. I hate motion blur. It's the only downside to Lg C7 oled. I miss my plasma. What plasma do you have?

Durask

Understandable. I hate motion blur. It's the only downside to Lg C7 oled. I miss my plasma. What plasma do you have?

Panasonic VIERA TC-P65GT50 65-Inch.
Used to be my living room TV but now repurposed for games (Steam and PS4).

Before that I used Panasonic Viera TH-42PZ80U 42-Inch for gaming for years - it is 10 years old and still works great, now I just use it as a bedroom TV (also attached my Switch to it).

I'll just keep them until they die. I see absolutely no reason to upgrade.

Siri

Banned
Can anyone out there confirm that their LG C9 panel, either today (or sometime recently), received a firmware update allowing for Gsync compatibility?

I’m surprised I’m not seeing anyone on the net communicating about this. If you’re a hard-core pc gamer then today’s Nvidia driver release is obviously a major thing.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

OLED is even better!

Anyone have any impressions on the Q90 R? People keep telling me to get that one and I loved the look in the store. Also I have a bright living room. But I want that OLED... But also don't want screen burn in.

Help!

pesaddict

Banned
65" E9 for me please need that drop to at least £2,500

Also cant wait till the injket oleds hit the market but methinks thats gonna be a while off yet

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Some oleds though do have motion blur.
Heck, phone OLED screens all have motion blur.
They do indeed. My C7 does. It's really the only downside compared to the plasma I had. Everything else is superior but damn I wish oleds had better motion resolution. Such a pretty picture goes to waste in fast scenes.

TheBoss1

Anyone have any impressions on the Q90 R? People keep telling me to get that one and I loved the look in the store. Also I have a bright living room. But I want that OLED... But also don't want screen burn in.

Help!
Do you only play one game for extended periods of time, like 12+ hours? If yes, then maybe you should go LCD to avoid having to worry too much about burn-in. The HUD is what you need to worry about but if you play games without much static clutter on the screen, like HZD or Days Gone, then you should be fine. Same idea with TV content like news feeds and channel logos.

I have an LG E8 but rotate between 2-3 games all the time so I've never even seen retention on my screen. I have burn-in on my OLED phone but that's with me turning off the screen timer off so I'm not surprised it happened. Plus those screens don't have the safety features that the TVs have to reduce burn-in risk.

thatdarkeevee

Neo Member
Hello! The wife and I recently moved and needed a new, larger tv for our living room but we were working on a tighter budget. Ended up with a Samsung RU8000. Coming from an old 2013 crappy set its a decent upgrade even if it's not high end. However I've noticed one odd thing. I like a decently accurate image (or as close as I can get without any calibration tools lol) so I set it to movie mode and kept most settings default as everything looked over all pretty good. I set color space to auto and color temp to warm 2 as that looked the most natural. I turned off all post processing. My current settings are as follows for SDR content:

Movie mode ( & game mode only difference is backlight settings)
Backlight : 10 (Game mode 20)
brightness: 0
contrast: 45
sharpness: 0
color: 25
tint: 0
color tone: warm 2
color space: auto
digital clean view, contrast enhancer, and auto motion plus all off
gamma: bt 1886 slider at 0

Now the problem comes in that no matter what I set the backlight to something seems dim about the image. I couldn't place it at first but I looked for the settings that are on this set that weren't on my previous tv and the one that makes the difference is the gamma. BT 1886 was new to me as the default. My previous set simply says gamma with a slider that goes from -3 to +3 but was set at a default of 0. This new set has the same slider on bt 1886 that goes from -3 to +3 with a default of 0. It also has an another preset of 2.2. if I change the slider up the image looks better, same if I change it to 2.2 it looks brighter. So this must be where the issue is. However as I don't have any calibration tools I'm looking for some input as I know sometimes if you see a more accurate image it can take a while for your eyes to adjust. Is there any recommendation for leaving this at BT 1886 with the slider at 0 (default) or would it be best to adjust this slider or instead set the set to 2.2
I'm at a loss as to what should be the most accurate.

Just bought 55 b9 oled. 800 dollars off on Amazon.ca.

Problem/worry: my b6 suffered severe burn in. It's all green and shitty in the middle. It's as if every image ever displayed on the tv has been etched in. It seemed to happen almost overnight too. Maybe a ball or something hit from the kids and my wife wont tell me. Because of this I'm worried about the b9 but oled is just too good in terms of picture quality.

Before my OLEDs I had the lg z9600. Not sold in north America. It was amazing with 244 dimmable zones in full array backlighting.

Anyone know how many zones are in the q80? The vizio p series has a ton too but I'm just not into vizio quality. Though its improved a great deal.

dotnotbot

Just bought 55 b9 oled. 800 dollars off on Amazon.ca.

Problem/worry: my b6 suffered severe burn in. It's all green and shitty in the middle. It's as if every image ever displayed on the tv has been etched in. It seemed to happen almost overnight too. Maybe a ball or something hit from the kids and my wife wont tell me. Because of this I'm worried about the b9 but oled is just too good in terms of picture quality.

Before my OLEDs I had the lg z9600. Not sold in north America. It was amazing with 244 dimmable zones in full array backlighting.

Anyone know how many zones are in the q80? The vizio p series has a ton too but I'm just not into vizio quality. Though its improved a great deal.

Only 96: https://www.avforums.com/threads/up...5r-q80r-q70r-q60r-4k-qled-tvs.2216051/page-15

Also, due to wide viewing angle feature native contrast ratio is limited to around 3500:1 instead of usual 5000-6000:1 for VA. https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q80-q80r-qled

Last edited:
Only 96: https://www.avforums.com/threads/up...5r-q80r-q70r-q60r-4k-qled-tvs.2216051/page-15

Also, due to wide viewing angle feature native contrast ratio is limited to around 3500:1 instead of usual 5000-6000:1 for VA. https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q80-q80r-qled
Thanks. Yeah I know people are praising these but trust me I know side by side in a dark room the oled would smoke it. A really bright tv just wouldn't matter and I dont understand the selling point. A dim tv I can understand (like oled. But not that big of a deal. I watch mine just fine in my bright room). Still, just because a less bright tv is smoking all other tvs they use peak brightness as a selling point. Not stated that well but I think you can catch my drift.

Slow pan shots on oled suck though. I thought they'd've rectified that by now. Hopefully so.

Early Lgs had a problem with this C7 and onward not so much (and I honestly don't even notice it anymore on my B6). The Sony OLEDs have very good motion handling so if you just do your research and buy the right model, I don't think this is a problem anymore.

There have been tons of good closeout deals on Sony '18 models lately and there are regularly C9 55 inch sales in the neighborhood of ~$1k on eBay through reputable sellers. For the huge increase in PQ over other techs at a similar price, I don't think there's anything left to complain about in the motion department for the price you're paying.

Early Lgs had a problem with this C7 and onward not so much (and I honestly don't even notice it anymore on my B6). The Sony OLEDs have very good motion handling so if you just do your research and buy the right model, I don't think this is a problem anymore.

There have been tons of good closeout deals on Sony '18 models lately and there are regularly C9 55 inch sales in the neighborhood of ~$1k on eBay through reputable sellers. For the huge increase in PQ over other techs at a similar price, I don't think there's anything left to complain about in the motion department for the price you're paying.
Not complaining. Love oled. Smokes everything. Easily. It's just a minor drawback.

Got my LG 55E9 this weekend.

it stunning :-o

anyone knows how to turn off TruMotion in non-gaming modes? (edit: nevermind. tv updated itself in the meantime and settings are now available under picture settings)

anyone tried adpative sync on the 2009 OLED series yet?

Last edited:

LostDonkey

Hey guys. Just a quick one really. Does 4K resolution have a direct correlation to blacks and colour depth/accuracy. I remember when I got my first 4K TV and even though my rig wasnt good enough and I was playing at 1080p it still looked nice. Then when I finally had the power to run full 4K i recall the colours and blacks being a lot better. This is not a HDR screen fwiw just an entry level 4K TV.

Ive got people telling me I dont know what Im talking about and my eyes are lying to me even though I can see it now even on my newest set up that higher resolutions display much better colours and blacks. Am I Mad?

Top Bottom