• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken 7, Soulcalibur VI, and Pac-Man 99 producer Motohiro Okubo leaves Bandai Namco, joins unspecified game company in Shibuya

Motohiro-Okubo_08-31-21.jpg

Tekken 7, Soulcalibur VI, and Pac-Man 99 producer Motohiro Okubo has left Bandai Namco, he announced.

“It’s been a while, but I will leave Bandai Namco Entertainment on August 31,” Okubo said in a tweet. “From tomorrow, I will be working at a game company located in Shibuya.”

Okubo did not specify which game company in Shibuya he would be working at, but did express his gratitude to Bandai Namco and the fans that supported him.

He continued, “25 years ago, I joined the former Namco and met various people. I am grateful to all the people I met. Especially through Soulcalibur VI, I received enormous power from players all over the world. Thank you very much. I’d like to show the various goods I received from everyone, but there are too many! Allow me to show my nine million units cushion, which I received last week from the development team of Tekken and Soulcalibur! Once again, thank you, thank you, and thank you!”

E-IErjaWUAo3_7_
E-IEr-GXsAoLBk7

Last edited:

yurinka

What companies are in Shibuya? Capcom and SNK are in Osaka, Koei Tecmo and ARC System Works are in Yokohama, Nintendo in Kyoto. Sega in Shinagawa (Tokyo, not close to Shibuya). So I don't think he leaves to make fighting gamese somewhere else.

Doing some reserach, I found CyGames (Granblue Fantasy, Project Awakening, the 3rd company in the Kadokawa+Sony deal) is in Shibuya.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
wait tekken 7 can get even more of a MTX shitfest without this dude?
You know I really don't mind purchasing characters in fighting games right now. You don't have to buy em, and you can decide if you want to play em or not. that being said, something that is very shady is when they make new characters OP before the inevitable nerf (lookin' at you Leroy and Fahk). Guilty Gear, by comparison, is much more honest about their patches and introducing new characters.

I like to support the fighting games. As long as it's not pay to win and you don't feel forced to buy characters I'm not really upset about it.

ReBurn

Gold Member
wait tekken 7 can get even more of a MTX shitfest without this dude?
What MTX are in Tekken 7? The only questionable thing I saw from a content perspective was making you pay for season 3 DLC to get frame data, but outside of season DLC's what Do you have to buy?

You know I really don't mind purchasing characters in fighting games right now. You don't have to buy em, and you can decide if you want to play em or not. that being said, something that is very shady is when they make new characters OP before the inevitable nerf (lookin' at you Leroy and Fahk). Guilty Gear, by comparison, is much more honest about their patches and introducing new characters.

I like to support the fighting games. As long as it's not pay to win and you don't feel forced to buy characters I'm not really upset about it.
True. You don’t have to buy them, but fighting against characters you don’t own can be very difficult and even frustrating because you probably won’t know the match ups well. Not helping that Tekken has thousands of moves as well and the roster is enormous.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
True. You don’t have to buy them, but fighting against characters you don’t own can be very difficult and even frustrating because you probably won’t know the match ups we’ll. Not helping that Tekken has thousands of moves as well.
Yea definitely tough when you can't lab certain moves or block strings. I usually just watch youtube videos about the matchups in those cases. I just think about the idea that if they don't find additional ways to monetize we may never advance the fighting game genre. Fighting games don't really sell a whole bunch compared to Sports games or FPS titles so you may not see larger budgets for these type of games. I love what Arc Sys has done with Guilty Gear and I just hope to see even more super high quality fighting games in the future. If development cost has gone up to the point that they need to put some characters behind paywalls then I'm ok with that.

It does suck initially for those who play without the other characters, but I guess I try to see the big picture. As long as Bandai and Arc Sys continue to improve I'll keep supporting practices like this.

Pejo

Hope that if Soul Calibur gets another entry, they do away with the create-a-character mode. It just caused the game to devolve into create-a-penis memes and ruined one of the best fighting series in regards to single player and story modes.

That said, I'm sure it made them a ton of money selling bikinis and shit, so it's probably in for good if we ever get another game.

Top Bottom