• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teens assault family at Six Flags Great America after being asked to stop swearing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, fuck those assholes for not putting their own safety at risk to try to step in and break up a violent beating. Making a 9-on-3 into a 9-on-4 would have made all the difference.

I could take out a couple teenagers easily enough. You can't just stand by and let people beat up a little kid and a 50 year old woman.

M52B28

Banned
I could take out a couple teenagers easily enough. You can't just stand by and let people beat up a little kid and a 50 year old woman.
For real. When I hear of situations like this and apply it to how I'd feel if I were getting my ass kicked and no one came in to help.

Get a broken nose? A few scratches and a bruise? Better than that woman being served a haymaker.

Flo_Evans

Man, they might be able to eventually overwhelm me with numbers but some punk that sucker punches my kid is going to be in the hospital next to me.

lenovox1

It sounds like it was over and done with quickly. I'm just happy multiple witnesses called 911 and people were of the mind to contact and find park security.

lenovox1

For real. When I hear of situations like this and apply it to how I'd feel if I were getting my ass kicked and no one came in to help.

Get a broken nose? A few scratches and a bruise? Better than that woman being served a haymaker.

Not everyone is you guys. Not everyone is physically capable of contending with 9 adolescents. Not everyone would even be aware of what was going on in the situation.

ViciousDS

Banned
holy shit....that's my six flags......WOW.......fuck gurnee area though, too many teens at that mall and they all looking to start shit these days.

How the fuck can you sucker punch a 12 year old......dear lord, no fucking decency. At this point if you under 18 you should be accompanied by a guardian in big parks such as this.

RS4-

Eight other juvenile suspects, ages 15-17, were named in juvenile petitions for mob action and taken to the nearby Depke Juvenile Complex Center in Vernon Hills, the Tribune reported. Smith said it is possible that some attackers got away.

Fuck em all, don't wipe their records.

Late Flag

Then THIS should be one of those exceptions.

I wasn't there and I don't know the people involved, but I'm inclined to say no, this should not be an exception. When I think of the kind of crime that involves treating a minor as an adult, I'm thinking of premeditated murder, and stuff like that.

Minors are still developing intellectually, and they tend to do stupid things. They especially behave stupidly when you put them in a group. I'm all for punishment here, of course, but it should probably be the kind of punishment that gets expunged when they hit 18.

It's really something that should be handled on an individual basis. Some of those 17 year olds could be turning 18 in a month or two.

I agree with this. These sorts of things are often going to be case-by-case decisions.

glow

Banned
Yup this incident has been being posted all over local social media lately by Trump supporters and their types

"Gee, I wonder what race the offenders are?" "Oh they're from Waukegan? What a shocker." Etc. 🙄

Thanks for posting it on GAF though....

Zoe

I wasn't there and I don't know the people involved, but I'm inclined to say no, this should not be an exception. When I think of the kind of crime that involves treating a minor as an adult, I'm thinking of premeditated murder, and stuff like that.

Minors are still developing intellectually, and they tend to do stupid things. They especially behave stupidly when you put them in a group. I'm all for punishment here, of course, but it should probably be the kind of punishment that gets expunged when they hit 18.

It's really something that should be handled on an individual basis. Some of those 17 year olds could be turning 18 in a month or two.

That's why kids are so fucking frightening. They know until they're 18, they're free to terrorize and maim whoever they want. As long as you don't kill someone you're generally okay.

Gangs employ kids to commit violent crimes all the time for this reason. All over the world. In Brazil, there are two reasons people don't fight back against those child muggers. There are criminal children accomplices waiting in out of sight to help if needed. But the laws. If you beat the shit out of a child, even if he is trying to mug you, you're the one that will go to jail.

A kid, a teen, without a conscience is the most terrifying thing possible. There is something weird about group psychology, mob psychology that lowers the threshold for the possibility of this behavior, that's for certain.

Not everyone is you guys. Not everyone is physically capable of contending with 9 adolescents. Not everyone would even be aware of what was going on in the situation.

All valid points, I was only speaking for myself.

It sounds like it was over and done with quickly. I'm just happy multiple witnesses called 911 and people were of the mind to contact and find park security.

Probably right, merely responding to the point that you should put yourself above others that are weaker than you and in need.

Beartruck

Yup this incident has been being posted all over local social media lately by Trump supporters and their types

"Gee, I wonder what race the offenders are?" "Oh they're from Waukegan? What a shocker." Etc. 🙄

Thanks for posting it on GAF though....
TBF, Waukegan is a run down shadow of its former self (although its on the mend). I can't tell you how many homeless dudes have tried to sell a sandwich to me for booze money there. The race comments are scummy though.

tbm24

If that were my son that got punched... I wouldn't know what to do. I'd be apprehensive to act with retaliative violence, but it would have likely ended with some of them sipping liquid meals.

Considering the parents got attacked and one of the attackers is 18 and old enough to know not to lay hands on a stranger, it would have been gloves off. I know it sounds harsh, but there is no defending his actions despite the fact that he's technically still a teenager.

Also, it's dangerous to interfere in fights like this due to their unpredictability, but sometimes someone has to step in. Fucking shame.
Sucker punch my child and I wouldn’t have time to think about hesitating.

I have wondered about this. I’ve been to baseball games with a friend and his extended group of friends sat with us. Family infront of us with 2 children who couldn’t be more the 8-10 year olds. His group couldn’t help themselves but shout expletives every other second and spend all their time talking about “bitches” they’ve been with or want to be with. Among a bunch of other random topics that you wouldn’t want your kid to hear. Naturally I’m never having my kid around them, I just don’t really know what I’d do if I was in those parents position with a bunch of late 20s dudes all behind me shouting this stuff.

It's not fine just because nobody died, any one of those victims could be crippled or trauma.

This was serious violence done against a helpless family, this is not some "boys will be boys" stupid things.

Wild Card

Then are you saying there was nobody in the area capable? Kind of a stretch, also hopefully your own action motivates others.

muu

Then are you saying there was nobody in the area capable? Kind of a stretch, also hopefully your own action motivates others.

I'm sure someone would have tried to help if it was one rowdy teenager. A group of 9 adolescents, I don't think there's much you can do short of getting security/cops there which is what happened.

Danneee

I agree with this. These sorts of things are often going to be case-by-case decisions.

Minors abusing the fact that they can’t get convicted like adults is just such bullshit. They absolutely should have the threat of real jail time as that is a pretty god tool to deter kids to do shit like this.

lenovox1

Yes, security. I'm sure that's why people were running to get security.

And turning the whole situation into a massive gang fight would not have been a good option, as an aside.

Drek

I'm sure someone would have tried to help if it was one rowdy teenager. A group of 9 adolescents, I don't think there's much you can do short of getting security/cops there which is what happened.

Step 1: wrap your keys in your fingers, edges pointing out.

Step 2: Knock the FUCK out of the first one you come up on square in his goddamn face.

Step 3: Ask which one of those 9 fuckers wants to lose an eye next.

Fight over and someone needs an eyepatch for a few months as a long term lesson not to be a shithead. You need to wash your keys afterwards. Sounds like a workable solution to me.

lenovox1

Step 2: Knock the FUCK out of the first one you come up on square in his goddamn face.

Fight over and someone needs an eyepatch for a few months as a long term lesson not to be a shithead. You need to wash your keys afterwards. Sounds like a workable solution to me.

You would go to prison for assault.

Oh come the fuck on

No one tried to help a little kid and his elderly parents getting jumped?
As somebody in his mid-40s, let's not start referring to 50 as "elderly." Jesus.
That's fairly past middle age I'd say, but just to be accurate, I'll say his older parents.
I'm 50 and I almost referred to myself as "middle-aged" in a thread today, then I realized I wasn't actually going to live to be 100, and then I further realized I was just "yelling at clouds," so I closed the thread. I was only going to reply to this thread because I thought I too used to work at this amusement park, then I saw it was a different one. Where are my pills?

lenovox1

I'm 50 and I almost referred to myself as "middle-aged" in a thread today, then I realized I wasn't actually going to live to be 100, and then I further realized I was just "yelling at clouds," so I closed the thread. I was only going to reply to this thread because I thought I too used to work at this amusement park, then I saw it was a different one. Where are my pills?

50 is middle aged. That term refers to your stage in adulthood, not to your stage in your entire life. (And if you live to 70, I wouldn't be surprised if most gen X lived triple digits.)

Hazmat

664229.jpg

First thing I thought of.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

Ummm
You would go to prison for assault.
Yup. Assault with a deadly weapon too.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF

Doesn't this just push your keys straight into your palms?

Oh come the fuck on

No one tried to help a little kid and his elderly parents getting jumped?
50 & 51 is "elderly" now? I mean, I know it's old, but elderly?

Then again, who am I to talk, I'm going to a friend's 50th birthday party tonight and the card my wife got her says, "Turning 50? Don't sweat it!" and on the inside, "Nobody likes to see sweaty senior citizens."

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Jail. For. Decades.

Petrae

Hope the family sue the teens parents too.

Yup. Someone should be financially liable for the medical bills, and there should be some pain and suffering in there, too. If the minors can’t pay, then the parents should bear the financial responsibility.

As for the 18 year-old? Better get a job. Quickly.

No records should be expunged, either. Live with the consequences of your barbaric actions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom