• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Cowabunga Collection Releases on August 30

Krathoon

I read somewhere that they also changed the the theme song in TMNT Arcade. Instead of the original theme they instead use the cover made for Shredder's Revenge. Can you confirm this is the case.
Oh. I forgot about that. I will check into it. They should have just used the 1up version.

93xfan

Banned
It’s a good effort. Some of the games have not aged well , some are still fun like Turtles in Time. It has accessibility options and the extras are excellent. I’m someone who grew up with these games so its good to have this in my collection.

I’m excited to see what digital Eclipse will do with the Atari 50 anniversary collection later this year.
Thanks. Grew up with them as well, so I know what I’m getting into. Input delay seems good though?

Krathoon

I just watched a video that had the arcade TMNT intro. It uses the theme song from the 1up version. Konami probably had a deal with them.

ManaByte

I just watched a video that had the arcade TMNT intro. It uses the theme song from the 1up version. Konami probably had a deal with them.

Fred Wolf owns the original TV series theme. Konami and Dotemu probably couldn't afford what he'd demand to use it.

amigastar

I know that SNES Turtles in time is good, but what about the NES Turtles game, is it any good? Or what games in that collection are worth playing?

SkylineRKR

I know that SNES Turtles in time is good, but what about the NES Turtles game, is it any good? Or what games in that collection are worth playing?

I'm looking forward to Radical Rescue, which didn't buy back in 1993 despite being on the fence for it. Its a metroidvania. I had the other 2 GB games.

I believe Manhattan is a legit good NES game, it never released in Europe for some reason. Arcade game on the NES was fun back in 1991 or so, but its far less good than the actual arcade version though it had extra levels and bosses.

MacReady13

Arcade game on the NES was fun back in 1991 or so, but its far less good than the actual arcade version though it had extra levels and bosses.
That and the fact it is as tough as fuck to beat! People bang on about the original Turtles game on NES being tough but the arcade game on NES was real tough as well.

Crew511A

The NES original was a product of its time. Take that for what it's worth. The nostalgia is strong for people like me. Not sure how someone playing it today for the first time would feel about it.

The second NES game was a no brainer for Konami, because the arcade game was a money machine. It was better than it had any right to be, considering the limitations of the machine...but it didn't feel right. Was amazing back then though.

Hyperstone Heist and the original arcade game are worth your time along with Turtles in Time.

Rayderism

So it looks like the game won't unlock tonight at midnight on PSN, but 1PM tomorrow. That sucks because I'm pulling in to my work parking lot at 1PM.

ManaByte

So it looks like the game won't unlock tonight at midnight on PSN, but 1PM tomorrow. That sucks because I'm pulling in to my work parking lot at 1PM.
No Way Reaction GIF by Originals

Krathoon

Ahhh... I see this on Steam.
This game is not yet available on Steam

Planned Release Date: August 30​

This game plans to unlock in approximately 13 hours

93xfan

Banned
This is a rough wait. Watched gamexplain give a ton of in depth gameplay and it seems the collection is pretty much perfect.

Love how it says “insert coins” instead of “press start.” As a kid I never played in free play mode, so I like this much better.

fart town usa

Gold Member
This collection is so sick. I'm honestly really surprised at some of the people saying it's overpriced and just a ROM dump.

I mean come on, are some of you really that jaded? It's a borderline miracle that Nickelodeon and Konami managed to agree to this being released and all the games are there. No Volume 1, 2, 3 type nonsense. Just all the games from back in the day with extras (and all the japanese releases)

I'm so hyped to play Manhattan Project again, such an underrated game. I'd even go so far to say it's easily better than the NES version of TMNT 2.

Been humming this tune all morning in anticipation, lol.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
This collection is so sick. I'm honestly really surprised at some of the people saying it's overpriced and just a ROM dump.

I mean come on, are some of you really that jaded? It's a borderline miracle that Nickelodeon and Konami managed to agree to this being released and all the games are there. No Volume 1, 2, 3 type nonsense. Just all the games from back in the day with extras (and all the japanese releases)

I'm so hyped to play Manhattan Project again, such an underrated game. I'd even go so far to say it's easily better than the NES version of TMNT 2.

Been humming this tune all morning in anticipation, lol.
What version do you have?

TheMan

Excited for this. My son is kind of over side scrolling beat em ups though, he didn’t enjoy the last turtles game and he played Sengoku 3 for about 20 mins with me before calling it quits. I’ll just go it alone if needsd lol

RAIDEN1

Two questions arise from this collection: 1 - Why choose to develop an inferior version for the Genesis of Tournament fighters when compared to the other 2 releases? Same goes with Hyperstone Heist...
2- Radical Rescue from the sounds of it needs a modern make-over- a.s.a.p! To free it from the constraints of what the Gameboy could do in terms of looks and sound....of all the systems to put it on why couldn't they put it on the 16 bit systems?

Last edited:

ManaByte

Two questions arise from this collection: 1 - Why choose to develop an inferior version for the Genesis of Tournament fighters when compared to the other 2 releases? Same goes with Hyperstone Heist...

Konami seemed reluctant to even support the Genesis in that era. They were primarily a Nintendo dev. They only started making Genesis games after the success of it in North America.

TexMex

Anyone know if the cheats work and if so, where to enter them? I see them in the “strategy guide” and it says to enter them in the options menu but I think I’m doing it wrong.

Top Bottom