• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Cowabunga Collection Releases on August 30

Ulysses 31

Not looking forward to TMNT NES tbh
Ariana Grande Pain GIF by NETFLIX
It will probably have save states... :lollipop_grinning:

MacReady13

Possibly just my state of mind with gaming today but, this is easily my most wanted game for the foreseeable future. So many amazing games in 1 package! I will be triple dipping on the physical collection on PS5, Switch and Series X. These games need to sell so we get more of the same!

Last edited:

Krathoon

It is taking forever for them to release this. The physical edition has stickers and a Pizza Hut coupon. Limited Run did good and they are releasing it on time.

Edit: Whoops. That was wrong. That was with Shredder's Revenge. This one is released by Konami. So, probably no inserts.

I will probably get this on Switch and PC. I want a PC copy to preserve it.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned

Excellent video, very watchable, the 'tuber is not annoying at all.

Poor old TMNT has had so many awful games, it's truly a test of how amazing the base material is that it hasn't been completely ruined by all these bad games. I think the only other IP's that have suffered this abuse from the 80s-90s is Robocop, Terminator, and Jurassic Park.

I really tried hard to enjoy that Platinum game but I dunno it was a hot mess of button mashing and not all that fun overall.

Last edited:

Krathoon

I keep forgetting about the Platinum game. It seemed like a solid Turtle game.

...and you can't get it digitally anymore. Only physical. Might snag a XBox One copy.

Last edited:
It looks like they made enough copies where it is on crazy expensive on eBay.

It’s wasted potential. The game could of been fun but let down by repetitiveness such as mission structure and even things like the Turtles repeating the same catchphrases. The visuals are not too clever either.

It’s a shame as I loved Transformers Devastation by Platinum and I hoped they would do a similar job with the Turtles.

You can’t even buy Turtles or Transformers digitally due to licensing.

The aspect ratio is is a bummer. The Hampster Neo Geo ports have a "full" setting which makes the screen wider without stretching the image so it makes those feel better but this looks so tiny on the Switch. I dunno. Obviously it's still playable and there's nothing we can do about it.

Dthomp

I have never played the TMNT Nes games. I wonder why some people hate it.

TMNT 1 was nasty hard at parts, the second level if I recall is a terrible underwater stage that tended to leave you without most of your health on all turtles going into other really difficult stages. 2 and 3 were fantastic.

Krathoon

The underwater maze totally screws up NES TMNT.
It is a very Konami game. It think Konami uses a different brand on that one, but it is Konami.

Last edited:

alf717

Don't want to put down the collection but I read the games have input delay but I have no idea how bad it is. Maybe some reviews will start popping up tomorrow. Looking forward to grabbing this collection.

93xfan

Banned
Don't want to put down the collection but I read the games have input delay but I have no idea how bad it is. Maybe some reviews will start popping up tomorrow. Looking forward to grabbing this collection.
You read that where? About this collection?

I’ve searched it and found nothing to back up what you’re saying. Please clarify if that’s what you meant

Last edited:
You read that where? About this collection?

I’ve searched it and found nothing to back up what you’re saying. Please clarify if that’s what you meant

Collections by Digital Eclipse have had bad input lag for 8-bit and 16-bit games, so it’s not unreasonable to assume that the problems will persist in this collection. Hopefully it’s not the case, but since game reviewers rarely talk about the quality of the collections themselves, it’s probably not something Digital Eclipse thinks is worth addressing.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
NES TMNT isn’t really harder than the average NES game. It’s on par with the earlier Megaman games. Nothing in TMNT is as bloody cheap as the bosses in Castlevania. I guess everyone had their hair-pulling spot in this game - the dam, the sewer jump, the sewer maze and the spike trap, the search for the Technodrome, and the Corridor of Death must have got anyone stumped at one point - but seriously, Dr. Wily’s castle in Megaman was way harder than this if you didn’t use the pause glitch. I finished this game multiple times as a kid, while games like Robocop I could only finish much later with savestates.

RAIDEN1

Waiting for definitive reviews on this, hopefully it isn't a case of GTA Definitive collection -level of quality-

Krathoon

It looks like the only change they made was to remove Pizza Hut references in TMNT Arcade NES.
It looks like this this a great collection. Even has the box art and instructions. It also has comic book covers and pics of the TV shows.
It it like Konami released all their TMNT stuff.

93xfan

Banned
It looks like the only change they made was to remove Pizza Hut references in TMNT Arcade NES.
It looks like this this a great collection. Even has the box art and instructions. It also has comic book covers and pics of the TV shows.
Was hoping to hear this!! Thanks for the summary!

Let us know how it is

It’s a good effort. Some of the games have not aged well , some are still fun like Turtles in Time. It has accessibility options and the extras are excellent. I’m someone who grew up with these games so its good to have this in my collection.

I’m excited to see what digital Eclipse will do with the Atari 50 anniversary collection later this year.

Andyliini

I read somewhere that they also changed the the theme song in TMNT Arcade. Instead of the original theme they instead use the cover made for Shredder's Revenge. Can you confirm this is the case.

Top Bottom