• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge | Review Thread

PhaseJump

Banned
There's something off about it compared to the old games.

The lack of impact the different characters have, the size and scale difference between the enemy bosses and the Turtles themselves, the grind in story mode and the challenges being stupid easy or stupid hard to pull off ultimately due to the balance around enemy placement, their downtime, etc.

I see everybody all hyped up and liking it. I played it, picked Leo, and immediately picked up on all the boring bullshit this game's giving with how it plays. It's almost awesome, but not there.
This game is textbook "overrated" to me, when you get beyond all the Konami game throwback/worship.

There's something off about it compared to the old games.

The lack of impact the different characters have, the size and scale difference between the enemy bosses and the Turtles themselves, the grind in story mode and the challenges being stupid easy or stupid hard to pull off ultimately due to the balance around enemy placement, their downtime, etc.

I see everybody all hyped up and liking it. I played it, picked Leo, and immediately picked up on all the boring bullshit this game's giving with how it plays. It's almost awesome, but not there.
This game is textbook "overrated" to me, when you get beyond all the Konami game throwback/worship.
I'm trying to figure out where you're coming from with some of these complaints. What do you mean by "impact"? If it's about the characters being too similar, then I can't recall the Konami brawlers changing them up in any major way - heck, the NES games and the first arcade game basically headswapped them like Ryu and Ken. The second, even in my best attempt to make sense at what you're trying to articulate (Are the bosses too large or too small to you?) , sounds more like a nitpick than a legitimate gameplay concern (And this is coming from a guy who actually CAN think of critiques about the boss design), and then the next are all about extra modes that aren't even in the "old games" to begin with. If you don't like those modes, just play Arcade mode - heck, if you're such an avid fan of the old games, why weren't you playing Arcade Mode from the start?

Really, if this was that "off" compared to the older games, you would not be stretching so much here. We've had literal Turtles in Time remakes that fumbled it worse compared to this.

PhaseJump

Banned
I'm trying to figure out where you're coming from with some of these complaints. What do you mean by "impact"? If it's about the characters being too similar, then I can't recall the Konami brawlers changing them up in any major way - heck, the NES games and the first arcade game basically headswapped them like Ryu and Ken. The second, even in my best attempt to make sense at what you're trying to articulate (Are the bosses too large or too small to you?) , sounds more like a nitpick than a legitimate gameplay concern (And this is coming from a guy who actually CAN think of critiques about the boss design), and then the next are all about extra modes that aren't even in the "old games" to begin with. If you don't like those modes, just play Arcade mode - heck, if you're such an avid fan of the old games, why weren't you playing Arcade Mode from the start?

Really, if this was that "off" compared to the older games, you would not be stretching so much here. We've had literal Turtles in Time remakes that fumbled it worse compared to this.

"Legitimate gameplay concern" is a nonstarter.

I'm "stretching" to point out that something is off about the game for me. Something is wrong here and it's hard to nail down. The impact is the gravity, responsiveness, or general feedback of the basic and strong attack differences, the downtime and recovery from attacks that characters and enemies have. Konami games were shallow, so still is this game, and that's all fine; but it's missing some refinement found in countless other games. This game is a heavy throwback, and even still it's bested by old shit like Streets of Rage 2 for how it feels when beating the shit out of enemies. I've said before, the stages also feel empty and too long. Arcade mode is tedious in it's length with how the game plays. It also feels like the boss characters are slightly too big compared to the old games or some of the show.

The biggest problem in how it feels, is how fast the enemies can break your attacks.

kubricks

Great game but man, I dont want the overworld/story mode and arcade mode didn't let me save.

I spent 2 hours playing through the game since the arcade mode wouldnt let me save my progress. Im all for limited lives and continues, but this is a very long game.

The other entries are less than half the length of this game, so their lack of saving had never been an issue.

Also I feel it can be really hard to do some of the double tap inputs or throws (Switch with Switch Pro Controller).

My hands are very sore now.
They need stage select or saves on Arcade mode like SOR4. The game as a beat'em up is too long,.
I am ok with double taps but rising attack needs a dedicated button.
Also, throw NEEDS invincibility frames!

The game also need some form of alternative costume, in multiplayer games the hardest thing isn't killing the enemy, it's keeping track on your own character!

Last edited:

sCHOCOLATE

I'm "stretching" to point out that something is off about the game for me. Something is wrong here and it's hard to nail down. The impact is the gravity, responsiveness, or general feedback of the basic and strong attack differences, the downtime and recovery from attacks that characters and enemies have. Konami games were shallow, so still is this game, and that's all fine; but it's missing some refinement found in countless other games. This game is a heavy throwback, and even still it's bested by old shit like Streets of Rage 2 for how it feels when beating the shit out of enemies. I've said before, the stages also feel empty and too long. Arcade mode is tedious in it's length with how the game plays. It also feels like the boss characters are slightly too big compared to the old games or some of the show.

The biggest problem in how it feels, is how fast the enemies can break your attacks.
I share your sentiment. This game has a handful of quirks that aren't showstoppers, but they are puzzling, given the game's pedigree.

Overall, Dotemu delivered the goods, but where they cribbed features, gameplay and movesets from predecessors, they just slightly missed the mark.

You're comparing the game to Streets of Rage 2. That is your problem. Konami's TMNT games never felt like a Streets of Rage.
You probably don't actually remember just how unpolished the fighting mechanics actually were in the original arcade games, where hitstun didn't guarantee a combo and throws had RNG elements to their activation, or how long the "Extended" stages were in the NES games (Made even more plodding by how slowly the Turtles move in that version).

And I'm calling it out right here, the whole thing about enemy sizes is absolute nonsense.
Xg5Ssa2.jpg

In the original arcade game, the only boss that didn't outright tower over the Turtles in height was Shredder himself.

fyjhafJ.jpg

As can be seen here, this trend continued in Turtles in Time's arcade. Heck, "Super Krang" and Shredder (along with his tweaked SNES version, Super Shredder) are arguably larger than their counterparts in Shredder's Revenge.
Aft46Zb.jpg

You could maybe make a case about the consistency and continuity of boss sizes, but it's clear Konami wasn't innocent in that regard either.

Yamisan

They need stage select or saves on Arcade mode like SOR4. The game as a beat'em up is too long,.
I am ok with double taps but rising attack needs a dedicated button.
Also, throw NEEDS invincibility frames!

The game also need some form of alternative costume, in multiplayer games the hardest thing isn't killing the enemy, it's keeping track on your own character!
So, the game is too hard for you.

PhaseJump

Banned
You're comparing the game to Streets of Rage 2. That is your problem. Konami's TMNT games never felt like a Streets of Rage.
You probably don't actually remember just how unpolished the fighting mechanics actually were in the original arcade games, where hitstun didn't guarantee a combo and throws had RNG elements to their activation, or how long the "Extended" stages were in the NES games (Made even more plodding by how slowly the Turtles move in that version).

And I'm calling it out right here, the whole thing about enemy sizes is absolute nonsense.
Xg5Ssa2.jpg

In the original arcade game, the only boss that didn't outright tower over the Turtles in height was Shredder himself.

fyjhafJ.jpg

As can be seen here, this trend continued in Turtles in Time's arcade. Heck, "Super Krang" and Shredder (along with his tweaked SNES version, Super Shredder) are arguably larger than their counterparts in Shredder's Revenge.
Aft46Zb.jpg

You could maybe make a case about the consistency and continuity of boss sizes, but it's clear Konami wasn't innocent in that regard either.

Retro-Ninja-Turtles-Beebop-Rocksteady-Gametyrant.jpg

TMNT-Shredders-Revenge-Verne-and-Bebop-IGn-footage-screenshot.jpg

"AbSoLuTe NoNsEnSe"

Fuck off. I'm not making a case about anything. The sizes feel off. You could blame it just on the action figures from the era being all the same sizes. I don't give a fuck.
The old games played like janky shit, this new one gets no pass because of it being another part of the throwback. The game feels off, and you're having a sperg tantrum over somebody on the internet not liking it.

NahaNago

The lack of impact when fighting bothered me as well. The game had a few things I didn't like but for the most part it was an enjoyable experience.

Retro-Ninja-Turtles-Beebop-Rocksteady-Gametyrant.jpg

TMNT-Shredders-Revenge-Verne-and-Bebop-IGn-footage-screenshot.jpg

"AbSoLuTe NoNsEnSe"

Fuck off. I'm not making a case about anything. The sizes feel off. You could blame it just on the action figures from the era being all the same sizes. I don't give a fuck.
The old games played like janky shit, this new one gets no pass because of it being another part of the throwback. The game feels off, and you're having a sperg tantrum over somebody on the internet not liking it.
Dude, what are you even showing here?

1) You're using the SNES Turtles in Time, where characters are already generally downscaled compared to their arcade counterparts and larger mooks were outright removed due to the limitations of the SNES hardware, combined with a version of Bebop and Rocksteady done outside the game's general art style shoehorned in for console exclusive content. This is literally the absolute BIGGEST stretch you can make, and yet...
2) Regardless of point #1, Bebop and Rocksteady are still at minimum a whole head taller than the Turtles on BOTH SCREENS.
3) There's so many things wrong with the "no pass" statement it's not even funny, from the way the sentence is phrased all but admitting you didn't like the old games in the first place to the implication that dumb nitpicks like "bosses are too big" are somehow worse than the worst of the old game's flaws. You've also just escalated from saying the game is "far from perfect" to effectively calling it's problems "janky shit". You've been exposed as a shitposting hater, dude.
4) You've never actually explained why you think having big bosses is somehow bad. Especially in a game where six players are meant to be able to hit a boss at the same time and the game screen is highly chaotic.
5) You're project me having a "sperg tantrum" when it is in fact you throwing a tantrum on having facts and evidence thrown at your face disproving your sperg about bosses being "too big".

Go ahead, throw more tantrums at me. It's funny!

reezoo

Honestly there isn’t much depth in gameplay of this game. I was planning to buy bare knuckles as older versions of BK have surprisingly good depth but now after finishing this game I am not sure if the new one is any good or same as TMNT:SR

Last edited:

PhaseJump

Banned
It's the best oldschool TMNT game, but I say the game feels off due to how it plays compared to most of the other, better games in the genre. I point out that little things feel weird or broken, and I get quote spammed by a sperg lord who right off the bat says my arguments are not legitimate, and are nitpicking nonsense. Should I even try to justify my points further here? At what point of worshiping nostalgia driven, janky beatemups is deemed acceptable/unacceptable. Where did the extra-special olympics set their goal posts here?

0neAnd0nly

Gold Member
The mostly positive reception here caused me to pre-order the classic edition from limitedrun! I’m a physical game dude, so it’s sucks I’ll have to wait until September to play but I think this game looks good for a controller grabbing family game. I like that. Thanks GAF!

I beat it once. Game was definitely slightly longer than I expected, which is nice. It's lovingly made and a great sequel to the classic arcade.

I don't see myself beating it nonstop over and over though like Streets of Rage 4. The gameplay is just more casual and doesn't have as high of a skill ceiling. Still an amazing game though for what it is.

nkarafo

The game is good but still not a match for TMNT IV on SNES.

SNES TMNT IV is tighter, you have more control and the music is way better. The music in the new one is somewhat disappointing. I only liked 2 or 3 songs. I wish there were some remixes from the SNES game.

The grind in Story mode is weak. There should be a way to earn more points, for instance, in TMNT IV you get 3 points when you throw an enemy on screen.

SLoco

Neo Member
Lol was kinda sad when I find out it was only 3 hours long ,but it took me like 10 days/attempts and like 4 hours to pass first level on highest difficulty,
Recommended its great

Last edited:
Top Bottom