• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge |OT| Now With April's Big Apple

YCoCg

You're obviously uncapable of discerning humour, little angry kid. Get tested.
You call that humour? You need more training, let the rest of us enjoy the game and go bother some other thread with your fake outrage. 🙄

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Finished first level. Liked it a lot. There's some depth in think to the combat. Looks beautiful. Also lol'd at those goot soldiers behind a computer. (Gamepass btw)

Goot soldiers.... Thanks thumbs

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I would not mind reading the original comic to see how it all started. Really, the cartoon polished the comic. It improved on the formula.
Quite different versions, really.

I much prefer the comic. It’s aimed at an older audience, so eventually starts to touch on more adult themes and doesn’t have to pull any punches.

But the cartoon is the more popular version, easily. Those are the versions most people think of and it popularized the idea of them being pizza-loving party dudes.
The first movie also left a huge impact, and that version is a near-perfect blend of the comic and the cartoon, making it a pretty happy medium, imo.

We need a fan patch. Find a pixel artist.
Hava5nt.png

Can't change the artstyle but did a quick and dirty "fix" :messenger_winking_tongue:

Bought it but am slightly disappointed. It's not as good as streets of rage 4 or turtles in time . There are fundamental design flaws relating to movement, throws, combos etc Feels like a team less experienced made this than SoR4

Can you imagine being April O'Neal and what it would be like hanging out with the Turtles in a sewer? You got four horny under socialized teenagers who have never been within 5 feet of a woman and your standing there in a skin tight jump suit with your boobs popping out. You know darn well they constantly act in such a way that April threatens to never come around again (and the whole place smells like sh**) .

Someone should do a parody where the turtles are just being unbearably, embarrassingly horny for April and everyone gets pissed at them. Like make it both sad and really freaking awkward. So awkward that you begin to REALLY hate them. Really play up that undersocialized bit. Then drag out the unbearable crap for far too long. That would be great.

Last edited:

dcx4610

Having fun with it but it's very basic which isn't a bad thing. The animation, music and controls are all top notch but it's not reinventing the wheel or doing anything special. It's just a straight arcade/16-bit era beat em up.

I do think I enjoyed Streets of Rage 4 better. It just had a bit more substance as far as gameplay goes but TMNT will probably have more replay value with the collectables. Another honorable mention is River City Girls. It's a bit rough around the edges but has a ton of replay value, variety, tons of gameplay/combo options and an upgrade system. Coming from that to TMNT feels a little basic.

Still, easily worth the $20 for sure but probably not much more than that.

Last edited:

dcx4610

Can't we just agree it's Donatello? (movies being taken into consideration as well

What's funny is I was thinking about this recently objectively. As a kid it was Mike because he was funny and a goof ball. When the movies came out and you got older, it turned into Raph. As an adult, who would you actually want to hang out with though? Mike would get on your nerves, Leo would be a prude, Ralph would be an asshole. Don? He's cool. You can talk tech, have a nice conversation and he would be easy to get along with. The answer is Donnie...

kubricks

Having fun with it but it's very basic which isn't a bad thing. The animation, music and controls are all top notch but it's not reinventing the wheel or doing anything special. It's just a straight arcade/16-bit era beat em up.

I do think I enjoyed Streets of Rage 4 better. It just had a bit more substance as far as gameplay goes but TMNT will probably have more replay value with the collectables. Another honorable mention is River City Girls. It's a bit rough around the edges but has a ton of replay value, variety, tons of gameplay/combo options and an upgrade system. Coming from that to TMNT feels a little basic.

Still, easily worth the $20 for sure but probably not much more than that.

Have you tried Fight 'n Rage? It is every bit as chaotic as tradition beat'em up like TMNT with a good combo system like SOR4. It is still the best beat'em up in recent years IMO.
RCG is good but I hate waiting around a downed enemy to get up, issue solved after the OTG attack from extra characters... which comes too late.

TMNT definitely need some alternative costume, it's so hard to tell who's who when there are 4 turtles on screen!

Last edited:

MacReady13

Love that some of us oldies who constantly complain about the state of gaming today are playing and loving this game, which is a loving throwback to a time when video games were so much better- cause they were about pure fun! Anyway, so far this is easily my game of the year. Had a ball playing online with my brother and love playing 4 player co-op with my kids. Game is fantastic! Easily matches and in some cases betters the old Konami TMNT arcade brawlers. Love it!

Anyone able to get the final boss without taking a hit? Driving me nuts, the flames always clip me at least once.
Yeah, I got it done.

Finding spots to stand to avoid his dash was the hardest part, try to stay above or below him so the first dash can't be aimed at you. His ground flame waves can sometimes be avoided just by standing in a corner if you get good RNG on his positioning, which lets you taunt for meter. You also have enough time to taunt when he's expelling energy right before you can attack him. Try to 4 cycle him, and make sure you keep his health barely above 50% after cycle 2 to avoid going to phase 2. His ground flame wave becomes much harder to jump over in phase 2, so you want to kill him first thing after his phase 2 clone attack. As you see dive super into normal super is a sure 4 cycle, of course on cycle 2 don't do the second super, just a normal combo after the dive super so you can stop before hitting 50% damage threshold.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Just finished the story mode with my youngest son and unlocked Casey. Really love the game. It would be cool to play on an arcade cabinet, or even just with an arcade stick for that throwback feel.

Last edited:

TexMex

Yeah, I got it done.

Finding spots to stand to avoid his dash was the hardest part, try to stay above or below him so the first dash can't be aimed at you. His ground flame waves can sometimes be avoided just by standing in a corner if you get good RNG on his positioning, which lets you taunt for meter. You also have enough time to taunt when he's expelling energy right before you can attack him. Try to 4 cycle him, and make sure you keep his health barely above 50% after cycle 2 to avoid going to phase 2. His ground flame wave becomes much harder to jump over in phase 2, so you want to kill him first thing after his phase 2 clone attack. As you see dive super into normal super is a sure 4 cycle, of course on cycle 2 don't do the second super, just a normal combo after the dive super so you can stop before hitting 50% damage threshold.

Thanks, got it done tonight. Here’s my run. Just 4 characters to max out and platinum!

kubricks

How's the online 6p on Switch? Is it easy to get a party going?
Never thought of joining the Switch online but TMNT sort of push me over the edge, thus I could play SOR4 online too.

Son of a bitch.

By the way, honest question, did the Turtles cartoon not had any female fighters? I don't really remember... but April was never a fighter and including her is just stupid pandering.
LOL. I mean the new April fits the artistic change they made to the rest of the cast, I am ok with it.
I'd say she's a welcome addition in this game since it add some variety to other weapon wielder, it's also tastefully done so the it's the kind of pandering I can get by.

Last edited:

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
Anyone able to get the final boss without taking a hit? Driving me nuts, the flames always clip me at least once.

Yeah, I got it done.

When Super Shredder does the 3 circular energy waves outward, you can completely avoid damage from them without even needing to jump if you line yourself up horizontally with the boss. It helped greatly in me getting the achievement. :)

BlackTron

Can you imagine being April O'Neal and what it would be like hanging out with the Turtles in a sewer? You got four horny under socialized teenagers who have never been within 5 feet of a woman and your standing there in a skin tight jump suit with your boobs popping out. You know darn well they constantly act in such a way that April threatens to never come around again (and the whole place smells like sh**) .

Someone should do a parody where the turtles are just being unbearably, embarrassingly horny for April and everyone gets pissed at them. Like make it both sad and really freaking awkward. So awkward that you begin to REALLY hate them. Really play up that undersocialized bit. Then drag out the unbearable crap for far too long. That would be great.

They sort of did this in the 2014 movie where Mikey could not leave April alone. It was like almost all of his lines was some bizarre interspecies obsession. It was the tip of the iceberg of things I hated about the movie.

When Super Shredder does the 3 circular energy waves outward, you can completely avoid damage from them without even needing to jump if you line yourself up horizontally with the boss. It helped greatly in me getting the achievement. :)
Yeah, I caught that at the end of Tex's video. Really useful note for dodging the phase 2 version.

ManaByte

That one movie did it where the turtles were actually April's pets which was a neat idea.
That was the first Michael Bay you just said was terrible.

The Bay movies are fine, but the second is basically a live action version of the original animated series which makes it the best of the two.

TexMex

I tried this, but could never get it down 100% of the time. My line up would always be slightly off and I’d end up being just out of line time and time again so I went back to jumping.

Isa

Gold Member
Did a playthrough with my gf yesterday. I think it manages to carry on the og game's legacy well, especially in being an approachable game newcomers can jump in and enjoy. Its got depth, maybe not as much as seasoned vets want, but to me some people seem to forget that a lot of people aren't as experienced or capable as them. Being able to hop in and have a good time is much appreciated. She definitely struggled with moves and remembering them, plus figuring out how they work with certain enemy types and attacks, as well as boss patterns and learning when they are vulnerable. Reminds me of when I was a kid and struggled to memorize moves in fighting games. Eventually I figured it out, but spare a thought for those who are new to games with more than just an attack and jump button.

In the end we had a great time, enough to carry on in one sitting. The details in the environment are great, plenty of humor and great art throughout. Some of the music is alright as well. I much prefer this art over what they did with SoR4, which I wish was this style. SoR4 was too dark and different in style for my tastes which leaves us reaching for the og's over SoR4 when the fancy catches us. I'm also really happy with the roster of characters, I usually main the ladies so April for me.

So many memories man, I'll never forget the day before school my Dad was shipping out for another deployment, and my parents surprised me with the figures for all the turtles, Casey, April, hell all of the main cast. No vehicles but no biggie. We were poor so it was a huge moment. Later that year my Dad made my Raphael costume for Halloween. Later on Donatello would be my fave Toitle but I love 'em all. Can't wait for the Cowabunga collection from Konami, I knew a TMNT beat 'em up was on Genesis, but never found it. So looking forward to playing it with my girl.

RAIDEN1

Tried it for the first time yesterday and got upto Stage 3, the previous two stages I barely got out alive with like one-bar left on my energy meter..I think there are pros and cons when teaming up with others, ie the more the merrier, but you can get lost in the carnage in terms of who is beating up who, also encountered two graphic glitches yesterday with the foot-soldiers on level 3, first was the moment the foot solider faces the screen as he's about to get launched into the screen, he just froze on that animation frame for a good while, then another one who just laid dead on this hover-board, all the while the stage was scrolling along and we were waiting for the next encounter... :messenger_grinning_smiling:

dcx4610

Almost at the end. I will say I appreciate how authentic it feels to a SNES/Genesis era game. With some compression and removing the intro, I bet you could fit the game on an actual cart.

If I'm nitpicking, I'm not in love with the design of the characters but the animation, colors and tone all fit with the cartoon. I just wish the actual sprites looked closer to the cartoon instead of the cutesy/kawaii style. I think TMNT the Arcade Game actually looked visually better at least as far as sprite design and that game is 33 years old.

I do wish there was more variety in the gameplay. Each Turtle basically feels the same outside of their weapon. My big pet peeve though is the sound quality. I thought I was having speaker problems at first but they went for this really shrill, low-fi, mono-sounding design which I hate. If you are going to do that, I think you make an option of "Arcade Sound" or "Retro Sound" instead of it just being how it is.

Still, a really fun game would have have been an all time great beat up in the 16-bit days and is a fun throwback to simpler times. It's also quite a bit longer than I thought it would be and seems like it'll have decent replay value.

Ran the first few missions with my daughter on the weekend. Cool fun and enjoy the combo control as well as team up aspects to the gameplay. Definitely revisiting a number of times for this one.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I had to RMA my Steam Deck, so I’ve been using my phone with a razer kishi and xCloud. This is the perfect type of game to use on xCloud to get a quick session in before bed or while watching tv with the family. Only an occasional hiccup here and there despite playing on Wi-Fi. Now I have something to help with the wait until I get my Deck back.
OKGQ0QQ.jpg

I got what i expected! Fun game, juggles and nothing technical like Sor4 or Fight'n Rage.

I love the game for what it is! Excellent beat' em up!

Im now learning some good combos and trying to Platinum!

Calverz

Anyone else getting crashes on series consoles? I am getting them almost every level on series x and series s. Sometimes it locks for a good 5-10 seconds. Other times it completely locks up resulting in me closing the game down. Also constant issues in online connectivity. I saw someone online saying it might be something to do with achievements unlocking but I’m clueless and frustrated as I love it!!

A.Romero

Had fun playing this last night with my brother (online co-op). There was only a couple of times the game behaved weird because of the connection and according to the game the ping was over 200 but it didn't show. The game doesn't seem to be really cross platform in the sense that my bro was playing on steam and I on GP but couldn't join each other's games. He had to install it on gamepass for it to work.

I found it to be fun and deep enough so it doesn't just become a mindless button smasher. I also appreciate the new skills obtained through experience.

Cool all around and best price possible with (included with gamepass).

By the way, honest question, did the Turtles cartoon not had any female fighters? I don't really remember... but April was never a fighter and including her is just stupid pandering.
Lotus Blossom is probably a shoe-in for player character DLC, especially as people are requesting Karai and she's basically her 87 cartoon expy.
Mona Lisa would work in this regard as well.
And while less likely, the time traveller duo, the male Landor and female Merrik, from the Red Sky seasons, were able to go toe-to-toe with the otherwise Gary-Stu-esque Carter, so Merrik may be viable candidate as well, though she and Landor are so closely tied together they'd almost have to both be included simultaneously.

If they extend to the Archie Comics which were based a good bit on the 87 cartoon, Ninjara is also a possibility.

If they consider The Next Mutation canon to the 87 cartoon, Venus De Milo may be a possibility. But considering Shredder's fate in that show would make his role here impossible, this is almost certainly not the case (And the fans probably prefer she be gone).

Reactions: Fuz
Top Bottom