• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[TechRadar] Xbox Series S is now a real threat to PS5

martino

Fair enough but as I said the article raised some good points. Just replying with a laughing gif is a little silly.
Opinion. I just adapted my reaction to level of content in mine.
But for you, any MS AstroTurf must be taken seriously i have little doubt about that.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
(see below)

In stock at all these places at time of posting this message.

Amazon UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08GD9MNZB/
Game UK: https://www.game.co.uk/en/hardware/...m_sp=XboxHardwarePage-_-espot-_-shopall#Page2
Argos UK: https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8448248?clickSR=slp:term:xbox series s:1:1:1
Curry's: https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/gamin...-ultimate-bundle-512-gb-ssd-10221027-pdt.html

Edit: if PS5 and XSX were as easy to buy right now, people would be declaring console gaming is dead, etc. However, the PS5 remains one of the most in-demand consumer devices of 2021 and will likely continue to be for the remainder of the year. Sony's already won. Mate.

Thanks, grabbing one now.

I think your last paragraph should say the ps5 and series x are some of the most in demand devices of 2021.

I worked in game and we would have second hand consoles and more freely available consoles by March 2014 of the last gen. The fact that both the big boys are sold out is pretty darn crazy.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
XSS has a potential to become a popular Game Pass console, that's for sure. But for it to become a real threat to PS5? Nah. Sony have millions of loyal fans who will gladly buy a console that's a continuation of what they've been doing so far.

Personally I wouldn't consider it even as a second console to play Microsoft's exclusives. It's either XSX or nothing. I mean even if you're a person cautious about spending money it's still better to save up more and buy an XSX which will last longer and won't have next-gen games looking more and more like trash.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Microsoft should cease making Series S until the Series X thirst is quenched. Wasted resources is the biggest threat to MS at the moment, the fact the Series S is not selling out quickly when the Series X is goldust is hampering their rollout.

Also "journalists" will stop the clickbait shit when you stop falling for it.

ZywyPL

Banned
The fate of Series S is as unpredictable as it was with Switch few years ago, it can be either a huge success or a huge flop, there are a lot of arguments behind either of the two scenarios, so first and foremost we need get back to pre-Covid situation and get enough PS5/XSS/XSX supplies on the market so people can actually get their hands on the consoles and decide which console/platform they prefer, which price point if more attractive etc. Because the market can't verify if there is no market to begin with. Same deal with PS5 DE if we're at it.

or you're blind to yours.
Like I said your first reaction speaks volumes, you've created an emotional attachment to a electronic device and that's not a good thing. I merely pointed out to you the article had some valid points but you came straight in like a bull in a China shop with a juvenile response. I appreciate everyone has a preference (as do I) but there's no need to incite trolling if you disagree with a topic, put your points across a little better next time.

Tomeru

Well shit, author has seen several people pick up that ass for their B fix. If that is not proof enough, I don't know what is.

Also, in a world where xsx and ps5 exit, ss will get real old real fast. They can't possibly ride on that hardware performance for the whole of next gen.

Last edited:

martino

Like I said your first reaction speaks volumes, you've created an emotional attachment to a electronic device and that's not a good thing. I merely pointed out to you the article had some valid points but you came straight in like a bull in a China shop with a juvenile response. I appreciate everyone has a preference (as do I) but there's no need to incite trolling if you disagree with a topic, put your points across a little better next time.
source.gif

it's you ignoring the bad AstroTurf content in this article trying to see only anything interesting in it.
When a content is funnily bad , mocking it is a possible and valid reaction. You could see it and accept reactions in this thread if you were the adult without too much feeling attached you pretend to be.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
While no official numbers exist, all evidence points to only a few Series S units sold (in comparison to Series X), with that in mind I am wondering how good future games will run on it, considering that the developer probably don't waste too much time with optimizations for it. I mean we see already in the current games, that instead of optimizing titles on Series S, they were ported with low effort. So I wouldn't say this is a good investment to play Bethesda games. People who are very concerned about Bethesda going to be exclusive are core gamers and will invest rather in a better PC or a Series X.
I think this is the million dollar question.

Since the PS5 and PS5 DE are the exact same specs, there is no need to do this for PS5.

And ppl talking about price for the Series S, the PS5 DE does exist.

While the Series S can be a threat by being a mass market price, you can get a PS5 for the same price the PS4 launched at; get a console thats $100 cheaper that performs as good as, at times better than the competition. The PS5DE is a threat to the Series X if thats the case.

I dont think ppl give Sony credit for the position they are in.

Microsoft should cease making Series S until the Series X thirst is quenched. Wasted resources is the biggest threat to MS at the moment, the fact the Series S is not selling out quickly when the Series X is goldust is hampering their rollout.

Also "journalists" will stop the clickbait shit when you stop falling for it.
Agree with this, MS might have to focus even more one one of their consoles right now. Ppl made good points about the supplies needed to manufacture each Series console. Sonly only needs 1 shell and a disc drive to switch back n forth. MS needs more than that.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
tbh i can see me picking an S up for playing the new Elder Scrolls game if it turns out to be a masterpiece.. probably right around the time actual PS5's will be on the fucking shelves!!!!

SkylineRKR

Its the only new system thats readily available since launch over here. They either make a fuck ton or it doesn't sell well. A PS5 DE curb stomps it by the way, its a fully powered next-gen system for only 100 bucks more. And Plus also gives a reasonable amount of content right now.

source.gif

it's you ignoring the bad AstroTurf content in this article trying to see only anything interesting in it.
When a content is funnily bad , mocking it is a possible and valid reaction. You could see it and accept those reactions in this thread if you were the adult without too much feeling attached you pretend to be.
I understand now that English is not your first language.

Maybe we disagree on what a garbage PC (fished out of a dumpster) is. If you wanted to build a PC equivalent to the XSS today, it would be something like 700+ dollars (if you are able to buy a graphics card, that is). Certainly not a garbage PC imo. To me garbage is something like an average laptop from 2014.

Well that's because your assuming that everyone will buy a laptop for their gaming. Laptop in general are a terrible value for what they offer. By going with a desktop that's pre built or building your own you can get a lot better specs for the money. I already own both so I know what I'm talking about (Gaming laptop + desktop ).

Three

You think masses of casual gamers are sitting on the fence waiting for true next gen titles to arrive to play on a cheap box that can barely run them?
Doesn’t add up for me. I just think MS missed the mark here. If people wanted a cheap nextgen console they would’ve already bought it. There are games, too many games, Game Pass will make that puny SSD feel like a cruel joke.
Casuals actually don't care about moving to next gen and neither does MS. They are on an xbox one and paying every month for games, live, and gamepass. The Series S replaces the One S/X without a price change for a new console, without a huge change in spec even. It's a way for MS to continue to sell cheap consoles for gamepass but be part of "next gen".

Last edited:
Optimization is different. SS has good cpu and a SSD and newcNavi GPU.

Garbage PCs on old technology will not get same level optimisation like consoles get.

But it's not like a PC that can play 1080P 30FPs games is going to cost gamers an arm and a leg to obtain. Also if they can afford a 299$ console they can probably afford a 399$ one.

Just saying that matching the XSS with a PC or surpassing with a console isn't that much more expensive.

Now if you're talking about matching a PC with a PS5 or the XSX I can see how it can be very expensive to do.

Last edited:
Hi Chaps

As we're chatting about how Bethesda may affect Microsoft and Sony going forward, I have some interesting data to share

This is from gamestat the dude that recorded PlayStation trophy data.

I did this back in October was considering doing a video but never got round to it however the site has not been updated since Nov 19th 2020 so is this is probably as up to date as it's going to get.

So, you know what you are looking at this is total players that have got the first trophy on each game. IT IS NOT SALES it includes everyone that has bought it new, used, burrowed, downloaded on PS now, and plus and had a different account on the same PS4 and got to the first trophy. Therefore, these numbers are much higher than the real-world sales of each game how much bigger they are I have no idea. I was interested to see how big Bethesda’s games were on Sony's consoles I think this includes every major release on PS4 from them.

Wolfenstein Youngblood 290,000
Rage 2 690,000
Doom Eternal- 1,300,000
Wolfenstein Old Blood 1,400,000
Prey 1,700,000
Evil Within 2,000,000
Wolfenstein New Colossus 2,400,000
Dishonoured 2 2,400,000.
Rage 2,800,000 PS3 release
Fallout 76 3,000,000
Dishonoured 4,300,000 includes PS3 numbers.
Wolfenstein New Order 4,400,000
Evil Within 5,700,000 includes PS3 numbers.
Doom 2016 6,400,000
Fallout 4 15,400,000
Skyrim 18,200,000 includes PS3 numbers.

Total Bethesda Player count 72,540 million
Skyrim and Fallout 4 38,690 million

Comparison to other big multiplatform games on PS4. (Sony's first party games do huge numbers however I feel it's unfair to compare exclusive games to multiplatform in this data)

Assassins Creed Origins 10,200,000
Witcher 3 14,600,000
Destiny 17,800,000
Battlefield 4 25,900,000
Rainbow Six Siege 28,500,000
Red dead Redemption 2 29,000,000
FIFA 20 36,000,000
Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2019 60,000,000
Grand Theft Auto 5 135,000,000.

Anyway, feel free to share if you like, I have my opinion on it, but I will leave that to the more combative among you lol. I wanted to share it because I don't think anyone else has done this.

If there is any error in the data please let me know

PS5 user buys Series S. Game Pass takes up more time than 2-3 good exclusives a year. More time on Game Pass equals less overall software sales for Sony. Hmm, try a game for $60-70 bucks or wait for it on Game Pass? It's a threat to their overall revenue. Casuals make up the vast majority of sales, Game Pass is perfect for casuals even more so than the hardcore. It's logic, anyone who can't see this and wants to do a laughing react to this fail to see the simple logic. Outriders is a perfect example. If you owned both consoles, where are you playing it?
I agree. The Sony die hards will continue to use their laughing gifs but its a great point.

Ps5 will continue to sell extremely well (and will beat xbox so don't worry) but gamepass will hurt Sonys revenues. I've heard a few times from core gamers who have both consoles say "oh I was going to buy that game on Ps5 but it comes on gamepass next week so I'll just wait).

No doubt this will be replicated across the casuals...." ill get an xbox with gamepass as it includes the games I wanted instead of having to pay $/£70 per game.

To admit gamepass will have absoloubtly no affect sonys revenue is naiive. Not saying it will topple way way down as I'm not into that fanboy crap.... But I'm sure it'll have an effect

Haggard

Banned
The only one that this thing actually "threatens" is developers who have to live with a ridiculously low development baseline while still having to present an attractive state of the art game on the actual next gen xbox, SX.....

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
gamepass will hurt Sonys revenues. I've heard a few times from core gamers who have both consoles say "oh I was going to buy that game on Ps5 but it comes on gamepass next week so I'll just wait).

No doubt this will be replicated across the casuals...." ill get an xbox with gamepass as it includes the games I wanted instead of having to pay $/£70 per game.
Please save this GamePass hating take about GamePass killing game sales / helping destroy games’ perceived value for a different thread... ;).

(This kind of assumes all games launch almost day and date on GamePass)

Last edited:

John Wick

I agree. The Sony die hards will continue to use their laughing gifs but its a great point.

Ps5 will continue to sell extremely well (and will beat xbox so don't worry) but gamepass will hurt Sonys revenues. I've heard a few times from core gamers who have both consoles say "oh I was going to buy that game on Ps5 but it comes on gamepass next week so I'll just wait).

To admit gamepass will have absoloubtly no affect sonys revenue is naiive. Not saying it will topple way way down as I'm not into that fanboy crap.... But I'm sure it'll have an effect
It's not too difficult for Sony to quickly launch their own subscription service. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if Sony had one being readied in the background right now. Put all released titles on there and put new titles on after 6 months etc

Xbox Series S is an easy sell to a parent or casual, but for a semi-educated gamer it makes a great case for a digital PS5. For a mere $100 more you get double the memory and true next gen specs.

If a parent sees PS5 Digital game prices they'll be like...

team america vomit GIF

Meanwhile, on Xbox Microsoft offers value like Game Pass.

You're right. Xbox Series S will out sell PS5 Digital Edition since there's more casuals than Educated gamers

Last edited:

Zog

Banned
It is entirely possible that it might undercut Sony's revenue. And with we backwards compatibility approach of MS people feel more secure in MS ecosystem and some already prefer buying multiplats on Xbox due to that like "I will purchase strong PC in the future, can play that game on XSS or later on my new PC" and so on. Then again Game Pass TV app might also undercut Sony's revenue stream due to that. MS is pivoting away from just third party 30% revenue anyway.

True. The regular motto is it doesn't matter until Sony does that.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
PS5 user buys Series S. Game Pass takes up more time than 2-3 good exclusives a year. More time on Game Pass equals less overall software sales for Sony. Hmm, try a game for $60-70 bucks or wait for it on Game Pass? It's a threat to their overall revenue. Casuals make up the vast majority of sales, Game Pass is perfect for casuals even more so than the hardcore. It's logic, anyone who can't see this and wants to do a laughing react to this fail to see the simple logic. Outriders is a perfect example. If you owned both consoles, where are you playing it?

You might be onto something here. A PS5+XSS combo potentially wouldn't differ from a PS5+PC combo, where the PS5 serves solely for playing the exclusives, while all the rest/majority of player's expenses goes elsewhere.

John Wick

The fate of Series S is as unpredictable as it was with Switch few years ago, it can be either a huge success or a huge flop, there are a lot of arguments behind either of the two scenarios, so first and foremost we need get back to pre-Covid situation and get enough PS5/XSS/XSX supplies on the market so people can actually get their hands on the consoles and decide which console/platform they prefer, which price point if more attractive etc. Because the market can't verify if there is no market to begin with. Same deal with PS5 DE if we're at it.
It will be nothing like the Switch. You can't even compare the two. The SX will outsell the frankly rubbish SS. MS have already downgraded it from 1440P to 1080P. In a few years it will be well outdated

R6Rider

Gold Member
I'm not sure what's funnier, the article, or the usual suspects liking it.

It's like they see anything remotely Xbox>PlayStation not matter what and react the same way. "Aww yeah, gotta slap this post with a thumbs up, that'll show em!"

Last edited:

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Article basically calls for it being a PS5 companion box and a threat to it at the same time :LOL:. Sponsored articles are funny :).
It can be both and the author clearly explains how. $299 makes it an affordable companion box and Game Pass steals 3rd party game sales away from Sony so they don't get their cut.

pasterpl

I'm not sure what's funnier, the article, or the usual suspects liking it.

It's like they see anything remotely Xbox>PlayStation not matter what and react the same way. "Aww yeah, gotta slap this post with a thumbs up, that'll show em!"

I'm not sure what's funnier, the article, or the usual suspects lol’ing it.

It's like they see anything remotely Xbox>PlayStation not matter what and react the same way. "Aww yeah, gotta slap this post with a lol, that'll show em!" and call the writer a paid shill.

Am I doing it right?

R6Rider

Gold Member
I'm not sure what's funnier, the article, or the usual suspects lol’ing it.

It's like they see anything remotely Xbox>PlayStation not matter what and react the same way. "Aww yeah, gotta slap this post with a lol, that'll show em!" and call the writer a paid shill.

Am I doing it right?

You fail to see the contempt displayed by certain users, but that's okay.

Last edited:

sainraja

XSS has a potential to become a popular Game Pass console, that's for sure. But for it to become a real threat to PS5? Nah. Sony have millions of loyal fans who will gladly buy a console that's a continuation of what they've been doing so far.

Personally I wouldn't consider it even as a second console to play Microsoft's exclusives. It's either XSX or nothing. I mean even if you're a person cautious about spending money it's still better to save up more and buy an XSX which will last longer and won't have next-gen games looking more and more like trash.

I almost considered an XSS due to the thread that was talking about emulation but that's also when I ran into both consoles in stock and then I just couldn't pick the XSS over the XSX.

It's not too difficult for Sony to quickly launch their own subscription service. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if Sony had one being readied in the background right now. Put all released titles on there and put new titles on after 6 months etc
But I've heard from one side consistently that "gamepass isn't good as I don't want to rent games", "I don't want someone to curate games for me" and "gamepass is not sustainable".

If all those are true for MS why wouldn't it not be true for Sony. If gamepass is legititably bad (and not profitable) as playstation gamers make it out to be, then surely a PlayStation equivilent won't and can't be a success? Could even Sony afford to do a gamepass equivalent if its such a 'money pit'?

Is this article calling Microsoft a side hoe? Because nobody really wants to fuck. With them side hoes and they do that on the down low. I guess microsoft still be sucking them toes.

R6Rider

Gold Member
But I've heard from one side consistently that "gamepass isn't good as I don't want to rent games", "I don't want someone to curate games for me" and "gamepass is not sustainable".
No, you've heard it from select users.

There's also been plenty of discussion of PS Now changing or combining into a service that would compare to GamePass in a more competitive sense.

Top Bottom