• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[TechRadar] Xbox Series S is now a real threat to PS5

Varteras

Gold Member
schitts creek comedy GIF by CBC

cormack12

Gold Member
Nintendo have shown the second console market is massive. I think they are saying:

Xbox hardcores will buy the XSX
Sony hardcores will buy the PS5
A number of Sony PS5 owners will pick up a cheap XSS to play those games like Halo or Gears.

Its not rocket science but the quality of headlines and general articles for click bait are shocking so the actual discussion will never take place.

Kokoloko85

PC + Switch is the only combo anyone ever needs
But you’ll miss out on those delicious Playstation exclusives.

You’ll get more worth while exclusives with Switch and Playstation combo.

Zelda - Mario - Fire Emblem - Animal crossing - Luigi’s Mansion - Pikmin - Mario Kart - Smash

Ghost of Tsushima - Spiderman - Uncharted - Demon Souls/Bloodborne - TLOU - Ratchet and Clank - Gran Turismo

+ 3rd party exclusives and you get most the big PC games on PS or Nintendo

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Lol at article.
If people really wanna Bethesda they can get gamepass for a month to play the game and then cancel.
Thats what I did with EA play or whatever its called to play Star Wars Fallen Order. Played for 3 weeks and then was done with it.

Its not gonna be sustainable to make loads of AAA games, otherwise AAA games would cost $10

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
One of the most idiotic Xbox paid article.

After more than a week, nobody wants to buy XSS with small slashed price and with 40% discount on 3 months of GamePass Ultimate

Well if it's not sold out in Germany, it must not be sold out everywhere else.....and the article must be paid for by MS. (Insert giant rolleyes here)

Also it's clearly a console for casuals, they aren't lined up at GameStop to buy one, they grab when when it's available, when they happen to have the money, or see one in a store, or happen to browse to check. In NA, they just filled channels with a large restock, its not sold out yet, but it will be.

Last edited:
Are they pointing to market share and revenue? If that is then Playstation is nearly 2 times higher than Xbox in revenue. Last quarter Xbox 5.0 Billion, Playstation 8.4 Billion.

dcmk7

Banned
Well if it's not sold out in Germany, it must not be sold out everywhere else.....and the article must be paid for by MS. (Insert giant rolleyes here)

Also it's clearly a console for casuals, they aren't lined up at GameStop to buy one, they grab when when it's available, when they happen to have the money, or see one in a store, or happen to browse to check. In NA, they just filled channels with a large restock, its not sold out yet, but it will be.
Easy to get hold of in the UK too.

Starting to see it bundled with add-ons to help shift.

(Insert gigantic rolleyes here). Amazon.de ships globally. It is not a Germany specific. Across EU you can get it without any taxes.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
A threat now. Attempted murder by the time Starfield and Halo release this year.
I'm wondering if this early hype will hurt Starfield

I'm also wondering how Halo Infinite will turn out given it didn't look too well last time we saw gameplay. I know they worked on the visuals but we have to wait and see it in action

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Now, I’m not saying that people will start trading in their PS5 consoles en masse, but what the Xbox Series S could become is the perfect companion console to Sony’s machine.

This does not match the title...

How is a companion console a threat....this line shouldnt be in there, it contradicts the entire article.

The console suddenly isn’t just a cheap entry point into next-gen and the Xbox ecosystem: it’s an avenue for PlayStation (and potentially Nintendo Switch) fans to ensure they can still play Bethesda’s upcoming games without making another sizable investment

Ok, so its a threat to Nintendo Switch too then, cool.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

I'm wondering if this early hype will hurt Starfield

I'm also wondering how Halo Infinite will turn out given it didn't look too well last time we saw gameplay. I know they worked on the visuals but we have to wait and see it in action

Todd Howard's last two directed games are critically acclaimed and high sellers.

Jokerevo

Banned
The S can't even hit it's target mark of 1440p so in what gen is 1080p useful to anyone but the casual?

If animal crossing released on S then yeah..it becomes a minor rash lmao. But the reality is the S is more a threat to the XsX as devs can't optimise for such a wide disparity of power. Hilarious considering how scalable things are supposed to be.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I don't see it as a threat to ps5 at all but I will 100% be getting a series s in a couple years exactly for the Bethesda games (and a few more too).

These threads always end up accomplishing what they intended to do from the beginning. And the same group of people are always in those threads fighting the good fight.

Reactions: TLZ
alligator attacking GIF

The headline and the article seem to be two different things. The Series S is no threat to the PS5 in any way, shape, or form. Might it make a good second console for those who want Gamepass? Yep, that is something I could see happening. I also see this being pretty popular with parents since its cheap, and plays Minecraft, Roblox, and Fortnite. But anyone who is trying to decide between a PS5 and Xbox is probably looking at the Series X.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
The ps5 is not going to be in trouble. Its going to sell more than xbox again. Microsoft will hopefully be successful too but I see them seeing huge success across pc and xbox. Sony will be more than fine.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Chip shortage and demand too high this time. Gamers really want to move on from last gen.

Havent seen this kind of demand since Wii. There is no way Xbox One and PS4 were this hard to get 5 months in.

Last edited:
I'm confused how can they say it's a threat while themselves call the series s a "companion" console ?... I think what they really mean is Sony should be afraid of gamepass, the £70 argument they make isnt taking into account not all new titles will be coming to gamepasss day one either though isn't the £70 increase on both platforms ?

Nintendo have shown the second console market is massive. I think they are saying:

Xbox hardcores will buy the XSX
Sony hardcores will buy the PS5
A number of Sony PS5 owners will pick up a cheap XSS to play those games like Halo or Gears.

Its not rocket science but the quality of headlines and general articles for click bait are shocking so the actual discussion will never take place.

You mean a number of Sony PS5 owners will pick up a cheap XSS to play those games like Starfield, next Elder Scrolls, Halo, Fable, Perfect Dark etc...

Microsoft walks away with....

bugs bunny money GIF by Looney Tunes

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I'm assuming the threat isn't that its going to make the PS5 suck, its just that exposing more people to the Xbox platform that would have never considered it before. They may end up liking the Xbox more because of GamePass. Hypothetical syllogism type stuff.
Pretty weird way to frame it from techradar, I mean baiting on console wars from "journalist perspective" is really low blow. Instead of writing "XSS is great commplentary device" which....would not even be false.

Duchess

Over here in the UK, the XSS is readily available from all major retailers, unlike the PS5 and XSX which always sell out in minutes. That either means that supply is exceeding demand, or (as I said in another thread) no fucker wants them.

And now I think about it, those two options are actually one in the same.

The thing about this is. PS gamers don't need to buy an xbox to play bethesda games. They can play them on PC, and if their pc isnt powerful enough, there is also cloud gaming. Honestly, with the series S basically sitting on shelves on Bestbuy, I wouldn't be surprised if one year from now it gets discontinued.

I think the way Sony responds to M$ Gamepass is the 1 million question of this generation and also the reason Xbox Series S is compelling in the first place so I understand where the article is coming from.

Not to say that I think the correlation is correct. XSS is not a threat to PS5 in any way, shape or form at this time, no.

If Sony doesn't respond to Gamepass, I think it'll be best for Microsoft to keep a sort of profitable niche all to themselves but I don't know how big that market will get by the end of the generation (but I imagine it'll be successful if they get momentum right). If Sony does answer, well, if they do try to make something similar but make a poor mans version of it, they would be creating awareness for what Microsoft is doing and handing a not discernible amount of costumers to Microsoft there and then seeing "the idea is apparently good after all, it's just that Sony didn't get it right", and if they manage to implement it successfully, well, that's bad for Microsoft and Xbox as they could sell a lot less units. Xbox Series S existence at a smaller pricepoint might be a godsend in that scenario, being cheapest (providing they have games) can be a safety net.

Microsoft's strategy is not bad at all, most of the risk is on Sony's side and down to how they respond to it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom