• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Techradar: There’s never been a worse time to buy a PS5

Topher

Gold Member
On Sony’s platform. Not MS or Nintendo

nzdepYV.png

Last edited:

Nydius

On Sony’s platform. Not MS or Nintendo
I guess you must live under a rock because Electronic Arts has already moved all their big name AAA multiplats to the $70 price point, Activision has followed suit, and Ubisoft announced they were going to make all their new AAA games $70 a couple months ago.

You can try and blame Sony for kicking off the price increase but publishers were already looking for excuses to raise prices anyway. If Sony hadn't, one of the other three certainly would have, and everyone else would have done so also.

I hear lots of people bitching and moaning about Sony somehow raising prices but never thanking Sony for pushing to normalize video game pricing when they launched their PlayStation brand back in the 1990s. If not for Sony wrestling the market 27 years ago, getting $49.99 as the norm, we would have been paying $100+ for games a long time ago. Those of us who are old enough to remember pre-PlayStation remember paying $69.99+ for SNES and Genesis games. Super Mario All Stars cost me $64.99 when it came out, Street Fighter II Turbo and FF2 (US) both were $74.99 at release, and FF3 (US) was $84.99.

[Edit: Math and grammar.]

Last edited:
Are you not human?
We al have our preferences and like something more than something else. It's completely normal and completely not normal to have full apathy towards something.
Mothers have their favorite child too even though they don't think so.
You think of a fan as some crazy person
Are you a fan of toasters? Ice cream vendors? Door makers? Toilets?

I like gaming. It doesn’t require wearing a flag.

Last edited:

Saiyan-Rox

Ragnarok is the only first party game I've bought new because it wasn't £70

So I get what they mean for software prices...I will never buy a standard version game for £70 let alone a remake and will just wait for a used copy instead.

Nydius

Are you a fan of toasters? Ice cream vendors? Door makers? Toilets?
Why yes, I do have preferences for each of those things (minus doors, because I'm not building a house).
Preferences is the word rofif used, not "fandom".

If I'm going out to buy any of those things, I have a series of brands I will look for first and foremost because those are my preferred options.
Cuisinart for toasters, Breyer's for ice cream, and Kohler or American Standard for toilets, if you're curious.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
With low resolution and mediocre games? I had GamePass for 3 months. Most overrated piece of crap I ever spent money on.
The S really targets the casual gamer and can almost guarantee someone brings home that S and hooks it up to their TV and plops down on their couch some 8-10 feet away they would never be able to tell what they are missing.

I bet the majority of casual console gamers are on 1080p TVs or even worse and anything above a Series S is useless to them anyhow.

sachos

"There's never been a worse time to buy a PS5! Sure, if you care about the amazing year they just had and the upcoming 2023 games then you are fine, but what about that optional pro crontroller though? Thats criminal! And don't get me started on the optional 550 state of the art VR headset with better features than 1k+ PC VR headsets, why doesnt it cost 300 like a mobile chip headset? Unacceptable! And last but not least i cant fanthom a 10% increase in price for a console that will most likely last 10 years, 5 euro a year extra is not worth it"

Sony refuses to make ps5 exclusive games, so may as well just stick with a ps4 :/, just salty about cross gen. For people saying it doesnt hold back games, the amount of loading hallways in god of war says otherwise
Yup but to be fair i dont get the logic of “might as well stick with ps4 since everythings cross gen”. There are still so many benefits to having a ps5 instead of ps4 or ps4 pro.

graywolf323

Gold Member
When it comes to Xbox and PlayStation the multiplats are priced the same if I'm not wrong. Pretty sure I've seen some 70$ games. You're
correct about Nintendo though but their 1st party titles never drop in price.
Nintendo did get their first $70 game this year courtesy of Microsoft through Bethesda

I guess you must live under a rock because Electronic Arts has already moved all their big name AAA multiplats to the $70 price point, Activision has followed suit, and Ubisoft announced they were going to make all their new AAA games $70 a couple months ago.

You can try and blame Sony for kicking off the price increase but publishers were already looking for excuses to raise prices anyway. If Sony hadn't, one of the other three certainly would have, and everyone else would have done so also.

I hear lots of people bitching and moaning about Sony somehow raising prices but never thanking Sony for pushing to normalize video game pricing when they launched their PlayStation brand back in the 1990s. If not for Sony wrestling the market 27 years ago, getting $49.99 as the norm, we would have been paying $100+ for games a long time ago. Those of us who are old enough to remember pre-PlayStation remember paying $69.99+ for SNES and Genesis games. Super Mario All Stars cost me $64.99 when it came out, Street Fighter II Turbo and FF2 (US) both were $74.99 at release, and FF3 (US) was $84.99.

Sony wasn't actually the first to announce $70 games anyway, it was 2k and I believe Activision both before Sony? 2K definitely was first

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned

Old Sony=/=current Sony. Let’s just be clear on that. Completely different leadership. Also, SNES sand Genesis games costs so much because cartridges were expensive. CDs were inexpensive, hence the pricing on PS1.

MS and Nintendo don’t charge $70 for their games. 3rd party publishers pay 30% to the console maker if I’m not mistaken. No reason Sony has to charge $70 for their own games.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
How do some of you not understand I’m talking about 1st party games?

Probably because you were referring to "platforms" and said nothing at all about first party games.

And I wouldn't cling to the idea that MS first party prices will not increase as Phil Spencer has already hinted that may be coming but not until 2023. If I had to guess, I'd say Starfield will be $70.

93xfan

Banned
What else would you care about?
Fair question. Games are the main draw for all of us, obviously. But part of that equation is the ecosystem. On Xbox I can play Soul Calibur 2, Lost Odyssey, Beyond Good and Evil, Perfect Dark, Metal Gear Solid 2,3,PW, Ninja Gaiden Black (superior to Sigma), Goldeneye, Mirror’s Edge, SSX3, every past Halo, etc.

And based on how they do BC, they’re in the best position to keep offering this. I don’t want to lose a lot of those treasured games.

That in combination with Halo MCC being my favorite online MP currently available (R.I.P. Socom 2), makes the Xbox a strong contender. Then years of Gamepass Ultimate remaining plus a love of Western RPGS and Forza.

People have valid reasons for wanting either system. I’m happy I won’t have to pay $60-$70 for Forza, Starfield, Avowed, etc. and will get great indies such as Silksong. Maybe I’ll get a PS5 slim when many of the big games have gone down in price.

FalsettoVibe

Gold Member
There is this thing called Game Pass though. Sony's 1st party games costing $70 wouldn't hurt if they had something similar.

Not the point. The poster I quoted stated that only Sony is doing $70 games. My point is MS will absolutely follow suit. Of course GP is an option....but outright prices will be $70.

As for Sony copying the GP model, that's not going to happen. They are successful doing what they are doing.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
https://www.techradar.com/features/theres-never-been-a-worse-time-to-buy-a-ps5

Mainly whining about prices, both hardware and subscription services, but not acknowledging enough that Sony's competitors are offering their hardware and services for exactly the same prices.

While most arguments are nothing but laughable ( and hence the lol reaction scores), the first party exclusive comparison is valid - XGP does have more values when it comes to launching their first party games day one on XGP. This does not seem much prominent right now as Microsoft still has much to prove in their talents for first party game developing.

But things are gonna change when MS finally bake out some universally acclaimed blockbusters and put in XGP for day one, the reception is gonna change. For myself as a hardcore PS fan (842 games in library according to PS5), will build a new PC and subscribe to XGP when Starfield drops. We will see how things pan out next holiday season.
I dunno bout the $70 thing being out of stricter budgets. If there was a time you can spend $60 then 10 dollars more is not the issue. Other variables are more likely to shift. Maybe you wait a bit more time to make the purchase as opposed to making it day one. Maybe you unsubscribe from Netflix for a month to make up for the difference. It's obvious from sales of recent PS5 games that $70 is not killing their numbers.

Once I read that I pretty much wrote off the whole article.

The only reason now is a bad time to buy a PS5 is if you are anticipating PS5 Pro, like me. I don't account for people who can't afford it, they aren't in the market to begin with. Sorry if that seems harsh.

Gamerguy84

Techradar is basically a large advertisement, Owned by Future plc.

They have many of the most popular brands under them including TR, PC Gamer, Tom's guide, EDGE, and many others.

Although this "article" would be true for many not just the people that want it to be. Brazil comes to mind.

PS offers good hardware for its price and a good service in PSN. On top they offer excellent gaming libraries for every system they put out except for Vita of course.

Their developers put out hi quality games worth the money spent. For a game like GoWR $70 is a bargain for the entertainment value received.

MrA

Banned
uh huh, that's some logic there I don't think 500 is astronomically high for something that will be supported for another decade and useful fore a long time

Topher

Gold Member
There is this thing called Game Pass though. Sony's 1st party games costing $70 wouldn't hurt if they had something similar.

Yeah, but I think most gamers who are looking to buy a console for first party games are looking at the actual games rather than the pricing options. If a Souls fan is going to buy a next gen console then he will probably opt for PS5 to play Demon Souls Remake. A Halo fan is going choose Xbox. These discussions, I think, focus too much on the win columns for each console and not nearly enough on the games themselves. In the case of the article, it barely touches on games at all. Somehow the cost of peripherals like PSVR2 and DualSense Edge need more attention than games even though the vast majority of gamers don't care about either.

pasterpl

I tend to agree with the subject of the article, maybe not all the points listed. I am buying playstation every generation couple years after pro model is released and they have enough exclusives to play, otherwise it would be unused as all 3rd party games I play on Xbox and/or my PC. There are only 2-3 exclusives each gen on playstation that I find appealing so it is not enough to justify buying a console (that will be collecting dust). Plus the recent price increase in the UK put me a bit off with the brand.

PS does well most years, even in a slower year we still had Returnal, Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart and Kena

That is a "slow year" for Sony.

Think About It Wow GIF by BuzzFeed

So 2x AA titles and 3rd party timed exclusive that I have tried on pc and found boring. Next you will list destruction all stars ;)

The fact Ragnarok is hitting #1 on the charts shows people are willing to pay the extra money and that Sony's strategy is working amazingly well for them though. It won't change. When was the last time an Xbox game got the hype Ragnarok got? Over a decade?

Expecting MS to keep their games at 60$ while production is getting more and more expensive is also unrealistic.

You could say 70$ is expensive but i'm playing Ragnarok and honestly? Everything is so premium and so polished...you got literally segments of sidequests that are more complete than a lot of paid DLCs i've paid during the years. I just opened up an entire map in there and i can't believe all of that is optional, lol. It'll probably take me hours to go through it all. And this on a game that's not even open world.

I'd rather get a 70$ game that's a fully realized experience than a 60$ game that will eventually make me spend more money on DLC or microtransations or whatever and ending up more expensive.
And if 70$ is expensive...wait for a price cut? People don't have to buy games day one...or the eventual PS Plus release.

pasterpl

Microsoft would love to have a "slow year" like that......right now. :messenger_beaming:

they'd probably take destruction all stars too.

Jimmy Fallon Idk GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
There are some A, AA ms games released on Xbox this year, plus multiple timed exclusives (just like kena eg. Scorn), they released HotWheels add on to fm5 which could be a separate game (like Sony did with Spider-Man mm- releasing it as a separate game), still do 1-2h/week on flight sim on my xbsx (it is my ‘therapy game’ when I want to chill)…regardless, I spend most of my time playing COD now, before it was Elden Ring, and lots of gamepass games in-between (eg. plague requiem etc), the only issue I have got is time, my backlog is increasing and ms is keep addding games to gamepass, 3rd parties are releasing new titles, seriously, if you have got Xbox with gamepass and you are buying big 3rd parties as I do, there is not enough time to even consider another console.

Topher

Gold Member
There are some A, AA ms games released on Xbox this year, plus multiple timed exclusives (just like kena eg. Scorn), they released HotWheels add on to fm5 which could be a separate game (like Sony did with Spider-Man mm- releasing it as a separate game), still do 1-2h/week on flight sim on my xbsx (it is my ‘therapy game’ when I want to chill)…regardless, I spend most of my time playing COD now, before it was Elden Ring, and lots of gamepass games in-between (eg. plague requiem etc), the only issue I have got is time, my backlog is increasing and ms is keep addding games to gamepass, 3rd parties are releasing new titles, seriously, if you have got Xbox with gamepass and you are buying big 3rd parties as I do, there is not enough time to even consider another console.

Eh....you can spin it however you want, but this just is a bad year for Microsoft. I'm not wanting for games either as I have Xbox, PC, PS5 and Switch but that doesn't make MS first party any better this year.

Awkward John Krasinski GIF by Saturday Night Live

Top Bottom