• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Techradar: There’s never been a worse time to buy a PS5

Buggy Loop

The Office What GIF

I don’t even own a PS5 and have no intention of, but that article is rubbish

adamosmaki

If you are in the UK you can get the God of War bundle from Argos for £539 (its been in stock all week), or from PlayStation Direct, or Smyths, or Amazon for £479 (by invitation which you can request)
Where can you get a series X for £200? I may get another XBox if that is true
No i'm not from UK but i used Amazon as a reference for most of EU. And since you mentioned Argos series X is 90 pounds less than Ps5 on Argos
The point i try to make is Xbox is more readily available and almost always at Msrp where as the Ps5 is either unavailable or well above MSRP. Its supposed to be 450 pounds and not 540 granted you get GOW but what if you dont want that game?

I'm not buying a PS5 because there are no games on it I want to play that I can't play anywhere else. HFW? PS4. GoW? PS4. GT7? PS4.

Also, have you seen the PS5 design? lol. I don't want to have to look at that thing. I'm waiting on a PS5 Slim.

The only game I'm looking forward to is FFVII Rebirth and even that I could just wait for the inevitable PC version but I don't want to wait so I guess I'll buy a PS5 Slim for Part 2 and store it away until Part 3 comes out. Unless there are any other games that come out I am interested in. All I can think of is any future From Software exclusive (like Demons Souls/Bloodborne) or Persona 6 but with the success of Elden Ring + Persona 5 across multiple platforms I wouldn't be surprised if FS/Atlus decide against PS exclusivity for their next games.

rofif

Banned
I'm not buying a PS5 because there are no games on it I want to play that I can't play anywhere else. HFW? PS4. GoW? PS4. GT7? PS4.

Also, have you seen the PS5 design? lol. I don't want to have to look at that thing. I'm waiting on a PS5 Slim.

The only game I'm looking forward to is FFVII Rebirth and even that I could just wait for the inevitable PC version but I don't want to wait so I guess I'll buy a PS5 Slim for Part 2 and store it away until Part 3 comes out. Unless there are any other games that come out I am interested in. All I can think of is any future From Software exclusive (like Demons Souls/Bloodborne) or Persona 6 but with the success of Elden Ring + Persona 5 across multiple platforms I wouldn't be surprised if FS/Atlus decide against PS exclusivity for their next games.
You can play these games on ps4 but you can play them on ps5 better. And there are some exclusives
And arguing about it's size is petty. The thing at least looks unique. And so what it's a bit big? at least it's silent

Last edited:

GhostOfTsu

Banned
It's funny too because TLOU 1, which required at least 15 threads talking about it's $70 price tag, is already on sale for $50.
Every game is on sale right now, even games that came out last month are 40% off. Not sure why you focus on TLOU only like it means something.

This post again. Keep fighting maybe the PS5 sales will finally come down 🤣

And the doll.
american_girl_xbox.jpg

This actually exists? GTFOH 🤣🤣🤣

Why are so many Sony fanboys so defensive? If you live outside US PS5 is a terrible purchase right now . Where i live local stores have no PS5 inventory while in other EU countries is not that much better. Amazon uk only has one PS5 bundle available and thats 700 pounds . Great deal right there
Meanwhile xbox series X is 300 euros cheaper and Pc parts are the cheapest they have been for quite a while

It's not only PS fanboys/fangirls giving a side-eye to articles like this. It's also gamers and folks in general who might game on a variety of different platforms, or may have a preference for one but not at the expense of hating another, just looking at these articles for the cheesy trash that they are. They always feel like propagandistic marketing for a rival console brand, whether that's intentional or not, and always mistake that gamers only care about price in absolute terms.

The truth is, even with PS5 price increase in several regions, sales have only gotten better with increased stock, not worst. So the people in those regions who are most affected, still see value in ways outside of absolute costs that simply outweighs the price for them. And that is a majority of the public buying these consoles, BTW. Maybe to authors like those who wrote this article, a system like Series S can only justify itself by appealing to the bargain-bin Dollar Tree-shopping type of sensibilities in people, but the majority of gaming customers don't shop with that mentality dominating their consciousness.

People don't buy a console simply because it's the cheapest available. They will buy a console IN SPITE of a potentially high price point, if they perceive the console brings enough value in other areas, such as library of games (including exclusive content), features, performance, or where the rest of their friends are likely at. The PS5 could cost $599 and still be selling extremely well IF it provided enough value aside from price point that the majority of buyers perceived as making the $599 worth the cost.

That is literally a part of how supply & demand works in economies: if the demand is there, people will buy as long as there's supply. It doesn't matter so much what the COST of that product is, there just has to be enough perceived value in the quality & quantity of uses & content it offers to create the demand that will drive the supply numbers. I've been of the mind for a while now that the Series S in particular simply is not creating enough demand for itself in any way outside of being a cheap product (for a current-gen games system), so that is maybe fueling articles like this one that want to try so desperately to force price-consciousness on its own (of either the hardware or software) as the most important factor in determining if a system's worth buying.

That has NEVER been the case.

Last edited:

midnightAI

No i'm not from UK but i used Amazon as a reference for most of EU. And since you mentioned Argos series X is 90 pounds less than Ps5 on Argos
The point i try to make is Xbox is more readily available and almost always at Msrp where as the Ps5 is either unavailable or well above MSRP. Its supposed to be 450 pounds and not 540 granted you get GOW but what if you dont want that game?
Well, no,the MSRP is £479.99 standalone and £539.99 bundled

XBox series X is £449.99 standalone, so is £30 different for the standalone console. Your £90 difference is comparing a bundled console to a standalone console, admittedly, PS5 is 'currently' out of stock if you want standalone from Argos but you can get it from Amazon for £479.99

But you said its 200 difference, were you comparing scalper price to MSRP?

adamosmaki

Well, no,the MSRP is £479.99 standalone and £539.99 bundled

XBox series X is £449.99 standalone, so is £30 different for the standalone console. Your £90 difference is comparing a bundled console to a standalone console, admittedly, PS5 is 'currently' out of stock if you want standalone from Argos but you can get it from Amazon for £479.99

But you said its 200 difference, were you comparing scalper price to MSRP?
On Amazon Uk there is only 1 PS5 bundle available for 780pounds. Same story in amazon De and FR.
Again point is much easier to find an xbox usually for much cheaper. On that aspect the article does have a point

SSfox

I though MS announced awesome games i didn't knew about. So it's that boring Gamepass argue over and over again... K

FrankWza

On Amazon Uk there is only 1 PS5 bundle available for 780pounds. Same story in amazon De and FR.
Again point is much easier to find an xbox usually for much cheaper. On that aspect the article does have a point
Those are retailer forced no? The console is available now by Sony for less even when the GoW or HFW bundles are sold. Makes the article even dumber really because the system is now available at retail and people have been paying scalpers $700+ for just the console for 2 years

NT80

I got every Playstation so far but with a fairly good PC have no motivation to get a PS5 especially with the price hike. Might as well wait to see if there's a pro model which will give me a performance boost over my PC. By then there might be more worthwhile current gen as well PS5 exclusives that push the boat out.

Generic

Why are so many Sony fanboys so defensive? If you live outside US PS5 is a terrible purchase right now . Where i live local stores have no PS5 inventory while in other EU countries is not that much better. Amazon uk only has one PS5 bundle available and thats 700 pounds . Great deal right there
Meanwhile xbox series X is 300 euros cheaper and Pc parts are the cheapest they have been for quite a while
"Why are so many Sony fanboys so defensive?"

They have to pay $70 for crossgen games.

There is nothing wrong with ps5 side. It looks great vertically. And it’s silent.
If you find it a problem to game because the console is slightly too big? Lol you are not a gamer. Just an ass
I think I have the right to deem that buying a console that has almost no exclusives that make it a must buy at current price and size... Is too big and I don't want to own it nor keep it in my small house already cramped by my huge game collection. Tell me how I should sell consoles and games that I like better and are smaller to experience the privilege of owning an oversized upside down white bucket because it's silent. Rocks are silent too... And I don't necessarily want the huge ones at home if I can avoid it.

Not saying I'm a gamer or anything because that line of reasoning sounds utterly dumb (who cares), but let's just say that judging from Instagram or from how many people are playing Call of Duty and Fifa on PS5's I'd wager that a lot of people buying them are not die-hard "gamers" either.

But yeah sure, I must be an ass then. Anti-Sony even.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

This actually exists? GTFOH 🤣🤣🤣

Xbox’s next exclusive is an American Girl doll set​

Live your childhood gamer girl dreams

:messenger_grinning_sweat::messenger_tears_of_joy:

midnightAI

Right, but you can get it from Argos for £539.99, why do you keep using Amazon when you can get the God of War bundle from Sony Direct, Argos etc. for £539.99?

The article is click bait, not even good click bait at that.

Seeing as it looks like Sony are manufacturing more consoles than XBox are Series X and probably Series S combined (or at least as many) and Sony are selling out at a higher price doesn't that tell you that the article is just full of FUD? (now there is an acronym I haven't used for years). If they weren't selling, stuck on store shelves and XBox was hard to find due to it selling out absolutely everywhere then the article would have some weight but the reality is (currently) the PS5 is still selling out despite the higher price. I know the article itself makes no mention of sales but they insinuate that the PS5 is a hard sell, when it is selling and selling very well, globally.

Last edited:
Ps5 is pointless. High price, low storage and few exclusives.

High price: It's $50 more at most in like two specific markets, and cost only went up due to increase in component costs. If $449/$549 is too much for a 7+ year gaming investment, either wait until there's a price cut or maybe find a cheaper hobby to spend your time in (or just stick to playing retro games).

Low storage: Yet PS5 file sizes for multiplats are continuously smaller than the Series X and S versions. BTW, Series S has even less storage both in physical and use-case terms (since the decompression is worst).

Few exclusives: At least it has some exclusives. Unlike a couple of other systems out there on the market, one of which articles like this want to imply are worth picking up instead, oddly enough (even if they don't outright say it, that is part of the implication).

:messenger_grinning_sweat::messenger_tears_of_joy:

The sad part is because the One S and Series S look so similar, I thought that was the latter and thought they were releasing this toy over the holidays.

Between this and the bean bag chair thingy, Microsoft are really bad at tying in appealing product marketing deals with Xbox, 90% of the time.

shiru

Banned
I remember when FIVE HUNDRED NINETY NINE US DOLLARS used to cause laughter and scorn, it's apparently perfectly acceptable now. People were simply being whiny.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
It's about getting the most for your money, nothing he said is wrong he's even made comparisons to how certain competition are doing it better. You people have some sort of unhealthy obsession with the PS brand, where it seems anything remotely negative (even when factually correct) is labelled as "shit".

I think its hilarious but I'm starting to get seriously worried about quite a few posters on here, common sense has left the building for most of you 😅

What about an "unhealthy obsession" defending the Xbox brand from warrior articles like these? You'll call that one "rubbish" but now chide others for calling this one shit?

Are we all seemingly forgetting all the games coming next year? Starfield, Redfall, Forza and that's without any further announcements specifically for 2023. That's 2 brand new IP and a reboot of one of the best racing games ever.

Also the notion that every PS first party game is a GOTY is nonsense. In fact before Ragnarok they've not had a 90+ metacritic rating since 2020 with Demon Souls (itself a remake of an old game). The making new original IP that apparently Sony encourages and Microsoft just make Halo, Gears and Forza nonsense is laughable. In fact PS have had more sequels or plain old remakes/remasters this generation than anyone 🤔

Anyhow Ragnarok is a fantastic game and this article should have been about that, rather than inciting the PS fanboys on here with this rubbish.

clown GIF

rofif

Banned
I remember when FIVE HUNDRED NINETY NINE US DOLLARS used to cause laughter and scorn, it's apparently perfectly acceptable now. People were simply being whiny.
yeah but that was in fucking 2006.
According to inflation calculator that would be $886.94 today... yet I feel like everything is so expensive today, we can easily round up to 900usd or even 1k.
Also, ps3 had bluray drive. That was big. it killed the hddvd.
And I am not fanboying. I had 360 that gen.

Besides, I remember ps3 on a media markt shelf back then.. It was 3000pln. Xbox 360 was about 1800pln if I remember more/less. Crazy prices. And for comparison, In 2007, I was earning maybe 1600pln monthly...

Last edited:
  • Empathy
Reactions: amc
Top Bottom