• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[TechPowerUp] AMD FSR 2.0 Quality & Performance Review - The DLSS Killer

So developers have to contact Sony every time they write a shader program?
Not sure what shaders have to do with FSR 2.0, but just read it from AMDs own mouth. Then you can contact AMD and explain to them why they have it wrong and you might be able to save them some time incorporating it into APIs when any two bit dev can just add it to their game whenever they want.

84HE2hR.jpg

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
It's only been confirmed with FSR 2.0 on the PC version as of now.
I have no idea why you are so sensitive about it.
The facts are.
1. FSR 2.0 is open source and could absolutely work with PS5 if Sony want it.
2. As of now Sony has not added FSR 2.0 to its API.
3. FSR needs to be added to the API for it to work.
4. Sony would need to incorporate it into their API.
5. Devs cannot use it on PS5 without those changes.
6. Sony may add it to its API tomorrow for all we know.
7. I think Sony will add it.
8. Just throwing out reasons as to why Sony didn't add it off the back like Microsoft did foe instance I just said maybe they have their own solution they have been working on.

If it doesn't come to PS5 it will solely be Sony's decision not to put it on the PS5.
I will just redirect you this thread https://www.neogaf.com/threads/fors...g-on-ps5-has-multiple-graphics-modes.1636641/

And I will quote it if it is still not clear to you
The PC and PS5 versions will also benefit from the AMD FSR 2.0 implementation. There are different modes available in the game including a Quality Mode and a Native 4K mode. These will offer better performance while sacrificing some visual fidelity.

FireFly

Not sure what shaders have to do with FSR 2.0, but just read it from AMDs own mouth. Then you can contact AMD and explain to them why they have it wrong and you might be able to save them some time incorporating it into APIs when any two bit dev can just add it to their game whenever they want.
FSR 2.0 is not part of the DirectX API. It's a program running floating point math (FP16 or FP32) that can be run on any hardware supporting such math. (See page 7 of the AMD presentation showing the formats https://gpuopen.com/gdc-presentations/2022/GDC_FidelityFX_Super_Resolution_2_0.pdf)

To make integration as easy as possible for developers, they have developed a sample running on DirectX 12. But if PS5 supports the required FP16/FP32 instructions, developers can simply create a shader program to do the same using the PS5 API, once the source code is available. Notice, that nowhere in the FSR 1.0 page does it list support for PS5:

Supports:
  • DirectX®12.
  • DirectX®11.
  • Vulkan®.

Nor as far as I can tell have Sony ever mentioning supporting it. Yet, we already have PS5 games shipping with FSR 1.0.

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
FSR 2.0 is not part of the DirectX API. It's a program running floating point math (FP16 or FP32) that can be run on any hardware supporting such math. (See page 7 of the AMD presentation showing the formats https://gpuopen.com/gdc-presentations/2022/GDC_FidelityFX_Super_Resolution_2_0.pdf)

To make integration as easy as possible for developers, they have developed a sample running on DirectX 12. But if PS5 supports the required FP16/FP32 instructions, developers can simply create a shader program to do the same using the PS5 API, once the source code is available. Notice, that nowhere in the FSR 1.0 page does it list support for PS5:

Supports:
  • DirectX®12.
  • DirectX®11.
  • Vulkan®.

Nor as far as I can tell have Sony ever mentioning supporting it. Yet, we already have PS5 games shipping with FSR 1.0.
For ps5 FSR 2.0 support see my post above yours.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

Supports:
  • DirectX®12.
  • DirectX®11.
  • Vulkan®.

Doesn't PS5 use Vulkan so that automatically counts as support for PS5?

DJ12

84HE2hR.jpg
I ask you this, what benefit is there to saying this works on ps5 for AMD.

Does gnmx have a pc version.

Tripolygon

Banned
They are shader programs that run on any GPU. FP16 is the fast path and FP32 is the slower path for older GPUs that do not have RPM, and FSR 2.0 just like FSR 1.0 is a C++ HLSL library that can be ported to any platform. AMD writes these programs for windows targeting DirectX HLSL, and makes it open-source for any 3rd party and developer to port and integrate into their engines.

This is the github page

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Not sure what shaders have to do with FSR 2.0
99% of the work it does is shader-code, that's what.

Also you have the API thing backwards. For the likes of GNM/Vulkan/Metal etc. - they operate below the likes of DLSS/FSR, so it's the other way around (you need to add API support to FSR, if it's not there already).

Converting Vulkan code to GNM is relatively trivial (especially for something small like these scalers), and shader-code can be auto-imported without any manual work (though likely there's optimization opportunities). So there's really not a lot to it with having open-source access.
Heck, it's entirely possible AMD have ported it themselves - it wouldn't be something publicly available, so you'd only see it in 'news' if you have PS dev account.

99% of the work it does is shader-code, that's what.

Also you have the API thing backwards. For the likes of GNM/Vulkan/Metal etc. - they operate below the likes of DLSS/FSR, so it's the other way around (you need to add API support to FSR, if it's not there already).

Converting Vulkan code to GNM is relatively trivial (especially for something small like these scalers), and shader-code can be auto-imported without any manual work (though likely there's optimization opportunities). So there's really not a lot to it with having open-source access.
Heck, it's entirely possible AMD have ported it themselves - it wouldn't be something publicly available, so you'd only see it in 'news' if you have PS dev account.
Either way it requires work with the API or to the API for it to work.
Point being that developers can't just add FSR to either the PS5 or XSX if MS and Sony didn't do what's required for it to work with the API. Sony's API isn't open source, so it would require Sony's intervention and there isn't a developer who can convert Vulkan to work with the PS5 APIs.
Then there is Sony's custom shader language to deal with.

I will just redirect you this thread https://www.neogaf.com/threads/fors...g-on-ps5-has-multiple-graphics-modes.1636641/

And I will quote it if it is still not clear to you
He may be assuming like myself that it will appear on PS5 by the time their game ships, not that it is already on PS5. As it stands its not on PS5.
I'm just not sure why it's so hard for Sony fans to understand a basic principle.
To admit that FSR isn't yet on PS5, for whatever reason Sony wants, does not mean the PS5 can't do FSR. It's not a slight on your console. It's a simple statement that as it stand now, on the 16th of May 2022, FSR 2.0 isn't yet compatible with the PS5.
It doesn't mean it won't be on the PS5 on the 20th May 2022.
You guys are sooo sensitive.

Deathloop is on PC and PS5. Deathloop has FSR 2.0 support and is already released on PC through a patch. There is no such FSR 2.0 patch for the PS5 version. If the PS5 could do it at this point, Deathloop would have also got the patch.

Anyway, this is just chasing shadows as we both agree that it most likely that the PS5 will use FSR 2.0 in the near future and that it will help both consoles.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
He may be assuming like myself that it will appear on PS5 by the time their game ships, not that it is already on PS5. As it stands its not on PS5.
I'm just not sure why it's so hard for Sony fans to understand a basic principle.
To admit that FSR isn't yet on PS5, for whatever reason Sony wants, does not mean the PS5 can't do FSR. It's not a slight on your console. It's a simple statement that as it stand now, on the 16th of May 2022, FSR 2.0 isn't yet compatible with the PS5.

Deathloop is on PC and PS5. Deathloop has FSR 2.0 support and is already released on PC through a patch. There is no such FSR 2.0 patch for the PS5 version. If the PS5 could do it at this point, Deathloop would have also got the patch.

Anyway, this is just chasing shadows as we both agree that it most likely that the PS5 will use FSR 2.0 in the near future and that it will help both consoles.
Wait wait , the amount of bulshit you spread is amazing...So to you the technical director of the luminous engine, that is working on the game is assuming things during his presentation at the GDC 2022?
It is not being sensitive but you are the one assuming things there, like for Deathloop, because it has never happenned that a pc version to have an update on tech earlier than console.
Based on your "reasonning" Xbox series X is not compatible with FSR 2.0 too since Flight sim has it on pc but not on Xbox yet...
Yet you are adamant that Xbox is compatible but doubtful about ps5?

FireFly

Either way it requires work with the API or to the API for it to work.
Point being that developers can't just add FSR to either the PS5 or XSX if MS and Sony didn't do what's required for it to work with the API. Sony's API isn't open source, so it would require Sony's intervention and there isn't a developer who can convert Vulkan to work with the PS5 APIs.
Then there is Sony's custom shader language to deal with.
The whole point of FSR sitting above the API is you don't need to modify the API to use it. Just like game developers don't need to contact Sony every time they write a shader.

Writing code using the API is literally the job of the game developer!

DJ12

Which previously banned account are you?

You've got a dev stating they are using it already and yet you don't believe it.

AMD made fsr2 work on direct X, which by proxy included xbox in the announcement.

There's no hidden agenda there, they made it easy for pc devs to use. AMD don't actually care about consoles, they've made their money for this gen.

Xyphie

It's just a shader, so you only really need a GPU+API with support for programmable shaders to support it (i.e. any modern platform). You get a Xbox version for free because DX12 and Xbox uses the same shader language (HLSL). Porting it to PS5 would just require porting it to Sony's shader language (PSSL), which is a relatively small task as PSSL is allegedly very HLSL-like.

Rudius

Regarding PS5 and FSR 2.0, apart from third parties only Horizon Forbidden West would really benefit from the technology. Other ex-clusives already have great native image quality or excellent upscalers. Even Returnal looks nice at an internal 1080p.

Really interested in seeing this in person! There are a lot of smart ppl out there, a lot of smart engineers and developers. I think A LOT of ppl shit on AMD a little too early on their decision to go this route, especially after seeing the 1.0 version... but come on, it was just their 1.0 version. The important thing was that they were trying and wanted to compete.

Also, I don't see any way this AMD technology that works on AMD gpu's, Nvidia gpu's, and even Intel gpu's would not work with a PS5... that is powered by an AMD gpu. Unless there's some kind of Teraflop minimum that the PS5 just does not meet, you know cause it's 9TF or something lol

Last edited:

YCoCg

Also, I don't see any way this AMD technology that works on AMD gpu's, Nvidia gpu's, and even Intel gpu's would not work with a PS5... that is powered by an AMD gpu. Unless there's some kind of Teraflop minimum that the PS5 just does not meet, you know cause it's 9TF or something lol
It's been confirmed it's being patched into games like GTAV, etc.

Really interested in seeing this in person! There are a lot of smart ppl out there, a lot of smart engineers and developers. I think A LOT of ppl shit on AMD a little too early on their decision to go this route, especially after seeing the 1.0 version... but come on, it was just their 1.0 version. The important thing was that they were trying and wanted to compete.

It will work fine on PS5 if Sony wants it to. It does scale well with tf though so expect Xbox to get a smidge better results.

Top Bottom