• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[TechPowerUp] AMD FSR 2.0 Quality & Performance Review - The DLSS Killer

Jose92

[Membe

buffers.jpg

AMD has achieved the unthinkable—the new FidelityFX Super Resolution FSR 2.0 looks amazing, just as good as DLSS 2.0, actually DLSS 2.3 (in Deathloop). Sometimes even slightly better, sometimes slightly worse, but overall this is a huge win for AMD. Take a look at our comparison images—there's a huge improvement when comparing FSR 1.0 to FSR 2.0. The comparison to "Native" or "Native+TAA" also always looks worse than FSR 2.0, which is somewhat expected. When comparing "DLSS Quality" against "FSR 2.0 Quality" it is possible to spot minor differences, but for every case that I found I'd say it's impossible to declare one output better than the other, it's pretty much just personal preference, or not even that.

Seems like the crazy bastards have done it.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
There are still some minimum recommendations (so don't pull out your GeForce Fermi yet just). For 4K (i.e. upscaling to 4K,), you'll need at least a Radeon RX 5700 or GeForce RTX 2070; for 1440p, you're recommended to use at least an RX 5600 or GTX 1080, and for 1080p, it's recommended that you at least have an RX 590 or GTX 1070. The technology itself supports all the way back to the RX 500 series "Polaris."

impressive. i wanna see it in action with my own eyes.

Jose92

[Membe
How is it a killer when in all of their comparisons DLSS has better performance gain. The word killer is just a clickbait shit. It's good, but doesnt kill anything. If anything DLSS is still ahead of it and fuck knows what nvidia are cooking up next.
It is a killer because it is open source, doesn't require propriety hardware cores, works on most modern gpus, and most importantly it could mean that it could be ported to consoles.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
Isn't it open source? That makes it good news for everyone. Including Nvidia.
I thought so but didn't want to make any unsubstantiated statements. I just actually got through reading the article. This can potentially be huge if the claims are true.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Whoa, is this good news for consoles?
Maybe. You just know that this will be the next frontier for fanboys to fight over after is PS5 true RDNA 2.0? Does PS5 truly have RDNA 2.0 ray tracing? Does PS5 truly have VRR? VRS? ML? VD?

And you just know Sony will let everyone get themselves banned for the next however long it takes for them to add FSR 2.0 support to their console.

Good news? Not for us. Not for the mods. At least not for a while.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
More frame and quality is always a great news.
That tech is amazing, best thing in gaming for years.

Killer8

ecJFN0k.png

This will be a major game changer on consoles. We could be seeing 30fps games become 60fps thanks to one software tool - no new PS5 Pro needed.

I don't expect it to be flawless, but when you also factor in VRR on both consoles, the experience should be mostly imperceptible from a native 4K 60fps.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
Maybe. You just know that this will be the next frontier for fanboys to fight over after is PS5 true RDNA 2.0? Does PS5 truly have RDNA 2.0 ray tracing? Does PS5 truly have VRR? VRS? ML? VD?

And you just know Sony will let everyone get themselves banned for the next however long it takes for them to add FSR 2.0 support to their console.

Hopefully the misinformation is squashed quickly in that case. Though I do imagine it won't stop some from trying.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
ecJFN0k.png

This will be a major game changer on consoles. We could be seeing 30fps games become 60fps thanks to one software tool - no new PS5 Pro needed.

I don't expect it to be flawless, but when you also factor in VRR on both consoles, the experience should be mostly imperceptible from a native 4K 60fps.
Yep dlss was the main reason I chose Nvidia for my GPU and now it seems that everybody will be doing it and it is awesome.Way more interesting than raytracing or anything(especially in their respective 2.0 iteration).

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Relax lol.

It's a good thing for everyone in theory, with appropriate hardware.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Temporal upscaling is already fairly prevalent on consoles. I mean Unreal Engine / Unity both have their own TAAU implementations even.

So it's gonna be down to how those compare to FSR 2.0, not how DLSS compares to it, whether it'll get much traction on consoles.

My guess is.. companies will still largely use their own techniques on consoles, but we'll see.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
To whom it may fucking concern,

Please add this to fucking Horizon FW.

Thanks,
SaltySnake

Lol, I knew you'd be here. Was playing HFW the other day and was wondering why a skilled dev team such as Guerrilla couldn't/ wouldn't take Insomniac and Bluepoint approach with temporal injection. Such a strange miss by an uber competent team.

Which part of comment do you disagree with and why?

IntentionalPun

Yet the XSS naysayers won't change they're boring tone.
XSS games are already heavily using temporal upscaling techniques.

We really will have to wait and see if FSR 2.0 outdoes those for this to matter.

If it does matter it's unlikely to be some huge difference.. the performance is from using lowered internal resolutions and games are already doing that.

IntentionalPun

Lol, I knew you'd be here. Was playing HFW the other day and was wondering why a skilled dev team such as Guerrilla couldn't/ wouldn't take Insomniac and Bluepoint approach with temporal injection. Such a strange miss by an uber competent team.

HFW uses a TAAU implementation.. which is what FSR 2.0 is...

Maybe.. you.. strange missed it.

I'm gonna have to do my broken record routine about FSR 2.0 but I have a feeling a year from now we'll still see endless posts of people saying "add it to this game that already has TAAU" even if FSR 2.0 isn't outdoing other TAAU implementations.

Last edited:
How is it a killer when in all of their comparisons DLSS has better performance gain. The word killer is just a clickbait shit. It's good, but doesnt kill anything. If anything DLSS is still ahead of it and fuck knows what nvidia are cooking up next.

I thought it looked pretty great in still images, but then he stated moving....

Im Fine GIF by MOODMAN

Well hopefully 'DLSS killer' will not be flicker galore by version 2,3.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
It's better than what I was expecting. It basically matches DLSS 2.3 in image quality.
It doesn't require tensor units, meaning it can run on a lot of GPUs from previous years, from all vendors. And that includes consoles.
Performance is a few fps slower than DLSS, but it still provides a big performance improvement.
AMD is a bit late to the party, but managed to make a good showing.

Banned
I will believe it when I see it. FSR1.0 was also hyped up by some outlets and was... beyond useless

it all comes down to how it looks in motion, that's where the issues will show and that's where DLSS so far was ahead of the pack, including TSR which also looked really close in still images but as soon as you see movement that quickly changed

edit: is this already out btw? if so I'll test it right away actually

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
It’ll work on it but it’s up to the developer to integrate it. It won’t be a system wide thing like fsr 1 and vrs recently introduced.
I'm not an expert on motion vectors, so I'll remain hopeful they can implement it. FSR also requires devs to implement it, but Valve gets around that because they're using a compatibility layer.

Side note: VRS on Deck really isn't VRS, it's just half-rate shading. Maybe it's lacking the pertinent info to do actual VRS and that's what will prohibit proper FSR 2 as well? I'm not even sure Deck can do VRS *edit* without using Windows. I tried it in Riftbreaker and it didn't work.

Last edited:
Top Bottom