• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tears of the Kingdom was complete in March 2022 when delay was announced, the entire year after that was spent just on polish

lachesis

The level of "craftsmanship" really shined on this game.
It is regretful that there are not many games these days with this much polish at release... and dare I say it's something I appreciate about Nintendo game that they carry that Kyoto craftmanship feel in their games.

So the copies that were being emulated were the ones reporting bugs that were never reported in the actual final build?

I wonder why
I heard there was going to be a patch for it for the official version. I'm not saying what I heard is true just that I remember reading about it.

But like I said it's still weird it has frame rate issues if it's been completed for over a year. They've had close to a year to fix that issue it would seem.

Noxxera

Doesn't the game still require a day one patch? I thought I heard some ground becomes transparent or something if you don't patch it?

If that's the case, you would think such a bug would be caught if it was finished way back then.
I think the patch was improving framerate. But hey you're clearly just looking for excuses rn.

I think the patch was improving framerate. But hey you're clearly just looking for excuses rn.
So why does it have frame rate issues if it's been completed for over a year? Shouldn't that happen fixed?

I'm not looking for excuses. I like Zelda and I love my Nintendo Switch.

Last edited:

Noxxera

I heard there was going to be a patch for it for the official version. I'm not saying what I heard is true just that I remember reading about it.

But like I said it's still weird it has frame rate issues if it's been completed for over a year. They've had close to a year to fix that issue it would seem.

IT WAS FIXED ON LAUNCH DAY. WHY ARE YOU BITCHING? Holy shit you guys.

Noxxera

So why does it have frame rate issues if it's been completed for over a year? Shouldn't that happen fixed?

It was fixed. By launch day. Sure they can do better not having day 1 patches but it was still fixed anyway.

IT WAS FIXED ON LAUNCH DAY. WHY ARE YOU BITCHING? Holy shit you guys.
The game was completed over a year ago meaning they probably already knew they had frame rate issues back in March of 2022. Instead of requiring a day one patch they could have just fixed it before putting it on the cartridge. I would think they had at least a few months to do that.

I'm just questioning something. There's no need to get really pissed off at me like this.

Kaleinc

Banned
"There is no shit in your soup"

Oh wow cool, what a nice restaurant; can you believe in X restaurant there was no shit in my soup. Awesome unbelievable, how is this even possible wow

Noxxera

The game was completed over a year ago meaning they probably already knew they had frame rate issues back in March of 2022. Instead of requiring a day one patch they could have just fixed it before putting it on the cartridge. I would think they had at least a few months to do that.

I'm just questioning something. There's no need to get really pissed off at me like this.

You're goddamn right I'm pissed. Is a patch too much to whine about? LOL.

LakeOf9

You're talking about a bug that never existed (I specifically asked you to share sources), that you can provide no links for, and "just asking questions", it's hard to take you seriously right now

You're goddamn right I'm pissed. Is a patch too much to whine about? LOL.
Yes because we get too many unfinished games today that practically require a day one patch. I'm sick of people defending this shit to be honest especially a game that's been completed for over a year where it could have been fixed without requiring a download to fix it.

If you're defending practices like this you're part of the problem.

Noxxera

Yes because we get too many unfinished games today that practically require a day one patch. I'm sick of people defending this shit to be honest especially a game that's been completed for over a year where it could have been fixed without requiring a download to fix it.

Don't get me wrong I'm not defending it, they can do better. But yeah. Go ahead throw a fit over it.

You're talking about a bug that never existed (I specifically asked you to share sources), that you can provide no links for, and "just asking questions", it's hard to take you seriously right now
To be fair, someone corrected me regarding the emulation and it might have just been affecting that. But now I moved on to talking about why the frame rate wasn't fixed almost a year ago. I even said I don't remember where I read it or saw it so I can't provide a details and again the person who said it might have just been the emulation build was probably right and I'll stand corrected on that.

BlackTron

Note that ToTK isn't immune to that either since the framerate is not consistent.
I think this is clearly a hardware limitation issue, not a software one. When your tablet is running a massive open world game with crazy draw distance and real time physics calculations, it's a bad moment to pan development chops due to inconsistent framerate.

I mean, maybe be amazed it works at all with a FPS higher than 3

Sakura

To be fair, someone corrected me regarding the emulation and it might have just been affecting that. But now I moved on to talking about why the frame rate wasn't fixed almost a year ago. I even said I don't remember where I read it or saw it so I can't provide a details and again the person who said it might have just been the emulation build was probably right and I'll stand corrected on that.
I'm sure they were working on more than just framerate for a year.
Besides, if it is working launch day, what does it matter?

I'm sure they were working on more than just framerate for a year.
Besides, if it is working launch day, what does it matter?
I'm just asking why if the frame rate was bad why they didn't fix it earlier?

I mean is the frame rate that bad at all or is it something extremely minor that maybe they didn't notice before they printed it on cartridge?

I guess I should mention where I'm coming from here. What it is is I have an issue with so many games requiring to be patched on day one because of issues. I would just like to see more games in complete working condition upon release and not requiring a download. This is especially true for maybe people who don't have the ability to go online and download a patch but it's become somewhat of a norm today.

If it's just something like very minor issues, then I can understand and it's completely playable and without frustration without a patch.

I don't want to argue with anyone here but I think some people are missing my point.

Last edited:

Moses85

I dont belive this shit.

It was delayed because they knew, they will sell more consoles in 2022 and so they can maximize the TotK Sales.

This and the combination of Special Editon Consoles, Games and Millions of Controllers. In 2022 when Covid was still present, they werent able to produce this mass of consoles and Special Editons.

Its all about the money.

K' Dash

Creating the test sets to make sure there’s nothing that can break the game must’ve been a monumental task, there’s so many things that could go wrong, also imagine all the edge use cases, it’s just amazing that the game runs and doesn’t break when players experiment with all the shit given to them.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I think people here may misunderstand what he's saying. He's not saying the game was done, he's saying all the features, the shrines, the art, the quests, everything was done, and now they had to polish it, find bugs, fix stuff, etc. It's not that they could have shipped it then.

Clearly this game had a lengthy QA process.

Last edited:

K' Dash

Do you have any idea about how software development works?

It’s a rhetorical question, no need to answer.

Do you have any idea about how software development works?

It’s a rhetorical question, no need to answer.
To be fair I figure it gets printed on disc and cartridge a few months before release date. Which is why I figured if the frame rate is such a noticeable problem they could have fixed it before printing it to the cartridge.

There was a time when games were fully functional without day one patches even with consoles that had internet access. There was still quite a few PlayStation 3 games and Xbox 360 games that were completely workable right outside the box so I'm just wondering why they couldn't have seen such a noticeable issue and fixed it in time before printing it to media?

Maybe perhaps you can explain it to me why they were unable to do this?

Last edited:

Sakura

I'm just asking why if the frame rate was bad why they didn't fix it earlier?

I mean is the frame rate that bad at all or is it something extremely minor that maybe they didn't notice before they printed it on cartridge?

I guess I should mention where I'm coming from here. What it is is I have an issue with so many games requiring to be patched on day one because of issues. I would just like to see more games in complete working condition upon release and not requiring a download. This is especially true for maybe people who don't have the ability to go online and download a patch but it's become somewhat of a norm today.

If it's just something like very minor issues, then I can understand and it's completely playable and without frustration without a patch.

I don't want to argue with anyone here but I think some people are missing my point.
The game is entirely playable without the day 1 patch. It just plays better with it.
You're making it sound like they could've just flipped a switch to "fix" the framerate, but instead decided to make a day 1 patch. Performance improvements, bug fixes, etc is a lengthy process, especially with a game like this.
There is a period of time between when the build for the physical release goes out, and when the game actually releases. They decided to continue to work on the game in this time in order to provide a better experience when it launched in way of a day 1 patch. I honestly don't know what you are going on about.
There was a time when games were fully functional without day one patches even with consoles that had internet access. There was still quite a few PlayStation 3 games and Xbox 360 games that were completely workable right outside the box so I'm just wondering why they couldn't have seen such a noticeable issue and fixed it in time before printing it to media?

Maybe perhaps you can explain it to me why they were unable to do this?
The game is fully functional without a day 1 patch, so again, what are you talking about?

And if you are going to talk about games back in the good old days, remember that something like Ocarina of Time ran at 20fps. Even without the day 1 patch TotK still runs better than that.

phant0m

it takes other devs six years to make a janky mess, at that rate if they spent the time they need for polish they'd release a game every couple of decades
I mean it’s already been 12 years since the last Elder Scrolls game. It was only 5 from Oblivion to Skyrim.

The game is entirely playable without the day 1 patch. It just plays better with it.
You're making it sound like they could've just flipped a switch to "fix" the framerate, but instead decided to make a day 1 patch. Performance improvements, bug fixes, etc is a lengthy process, especially with a game like this.
There is a period of time between when the build for the physical release goes out, and when the game actually releases. They decided to continue to work on the game in this time in order to provide a better experience when it launched in way of a day 1 patch. I honestly don't know what you are going on about.

The game is fully functional without a day 1 patch, so again, what are you talking about?

And if you are going to talk about games back in the good old days, remember that something like Ocarina of Time ran at 20fps. Even without the day 1 patch TotK still runs better than that.
If it's just a minor issue, then that's fine.

I think people are missing my point though and I don't want to argue with people or go into back and forth with people. I try to be friendly with everyone here.

I'm just saying that if the game was actually completed in March of 2022 and the frame rate was that apparent, they could have fixed it then, that's avoiding any day one patch at all.

Like I said above I just have issues with unfinished games and day one patches. Obviously this one is not unfinished and I don't know how bad the frame rate actually is but from what it sounds like from you, it's not that bad and can be played without the patch which is awesome.

Hell, we had a recent thread here where plenty of people were saying they were getting sick of games needing patches on day one but here I'm getting kind of piled on for it. I guess for that I'm just going to stop here. I really think people are missing my point but that's fine and I don't really feel like arguing it anymore.

Last edited:
This, and the fact that Nintendo games retain their value far longer than others, is the reason why I bought Tears of the Kingdom at launch but still haven’t picked up others, like Jedi Survivor. By the time most Xbox and PS5 games hit their first sale, the game is patched enough to make it a great experience.
It is funny. Nintendo games are worth $60-$70 at launch, and remain at that price for years, if not forever.

Most AAA games launch at $70, but in their launch condition, they feel worth about $20. Several months, or more, later, they are running well and finally feel worth $70, but, by then, they are $20.

Tams

Got a game as polished as this, back in the day it would have shipped with the bug and it would never have been patched.

Got a game as polished as this, back in the day it would have shipped with the bug and it would never have been patched.
Zelda games in the past have been pretty polished without requiring online patches especially the Zelda games that came out before online connectivity.

I think I remember reading Skyward Sword had a pretty game breaking bug on the Wii. If I remember correctly, you could send your disc back to Nintendo and they would give you a disc with a version without the bug.

I do agree with people here that saying Nintendo is pretty good about their game releases. Especially when you compare them to the likes of Bethesda, for instance.

Last edited:

Schmendrick

1 year for polish and yet the review copies ran like arse until the day 1 patch came....

Something doesn´t fit together here.

Last edited:
Reactions: TLZ

TLZ

Banned
Big video games these days have been launching with bugs and poor graphical performance, while “Tears” was released with no issues

No Way Thinking GIF

Nowhere in that article does it say the game was complete on March 2022 and a year was spent on polish

Last edited:
Top Bottom