• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teardown is the most "next gen" i've seen yet

Guilty_AI

Honestly, there has been nothing that impressed me in the next gen games we've been shown so far.
While ray tracing and use of better assets with SSDs can do for interesting analysis, the way they're being implemented in games so far has been merely for the sake of visual improvements.

Onto the game:

I was impressed with Teardown when i'd first seen it, however its only after playing the game that i stopped and thought "wow".
I could explain all the things that makes this game impressive, but DF did a video breaking that stuff down already so you can watch it for that.

It has been a long time since i just stopped to appreciate a game like this. I would just go inside a house, start a small fire and watch it as it slowly spreads. Considering the game not only uses physical simulation of materials but also voxel ray tracing and even fluid physiscs for the smoke, you're in for one of the most satisfying visual treats you can get in a game.

You don't have to take my word for it, just watch:

While the physics aren't perfect by any means, i haven't seen another game that goes that far dynamically yet.

Another aspect i'd like to adress is the gameplay. I was expecting more of a tech demo with some excuse for gameplay like Beamng drive, but gameplay here can be surprisingly engaging, playing a lot like a physics based puzzle game.
Even driving cars felt way more enjoyable here than it had any place being.

Either way, game is still in Early Access and still updating, so i fully expect it get even better in the future.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

I'm going to jump in once the buildings crumble under their own weight a bit more realistically, like RF: Guerilla (well, when it works lol) but it looks fantastic in so many ways yeah.
Yeah, thats the only aspect that still needs to improved imo. Its weird since the game does seem have some sort of soft body physics in play considering certain types of constructions (like pipes, or a bridge map i've seen) do collapse like that. I think its a problem with how the game handles certain types of materials

Last edited:

Kilau

Gold Member
I really enjoy it, very fun to mess about. Also on discount for another hour on steam.

GHG

Gold Member
The concept is good, but there is no game there.
But it's the same with Minecraft and BeamNG.

Literally in the main menu:

Dh0SA5u.jpg

For an early access game there's already a decent sized campaign which is great fun.

Guilty_AI Guilty_AI Have you also checked out the stuff in the workshop?

iHaunter

How does this have more impressive building destruction and Crackdown?

Not my style of game, but looks fun for an EA.

Last edited:

Hugare

Sadly, I dont have a PC powerful enough to run it

It looks very, very impressive

Not only the physics, the lighting is just superb. I would spend dozens of hours just messing around.

Guilty_AI

Sadly, I dont have a PC powerful enough to run it

It looks very, very impressive

Not only the physics, the lighting is just superb. I would spend dozens of hours just messing around.
I've seen someone running on a gtx 1050 and a i3 9300 on the lowest settings, but naturally it still gets laggy pretty quick with the amount of chaos in the map. Developer recommends using a gtx 1070 or equivalent along with i7 for a good experience.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
I've seen someone running on a gtx 1050 and a i3 9300 on the lowest settings, but naturally it still gets laggy pretty quick with the amount of chaos in the map. Developer recommends using a gtx 1070 or similar along with i7 for a good experience.
Pretty much, and the sad thing is i'll have to use my lads PC as i've let mine slide, for a few years.. :p

Codes 208

As a Snowrunner fan this makes me hard in all the right places.

Consoles when?(if ever?).
Who knows, it’s been in early access for awhile now and it runs like shit on anything below an RTX 2060 (and they haven’t optimized it for amd fully yet so even on a 5700 xt it can dip very badly)

so in its current state it would likely run like shit even on the SX and PS5

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Who knows, it’s been in early access for awhile now and it runs like shit on anything below an RTX 2060 (and they haven’t optimized it for amd fully yet so even on a 5700 xt it can dip very badly)

so in its current state it would likely run like shit even on the SX and PS5
Runs fine on my GTX 1660 super, as long as i'm not using some insane mod.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I appreciate what's going on and I have looked at it several times but haven't pulled the trigger. I'm not sure if there's enough yet to really get me to commit but if the price is still low I may look into it a little bit more. It needs to have this sort of Gary's mod online component for me to really kind of have some sort of long-term interest. I hate the kind of narrow down like that because it's just probably as narrow as just wanting to have this game for the physics and things that this video is touting. Given it's an early access I have no doubt that the game will continue to grow in the ways that will address all the main criticisms.

theHFIC

This is the first game I played to make me realize how out of date my CPU/GPU combo is. Up to this I was living the 1080p 60 ultra-quality life in just about every game outside of PUBG.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

I appreciate what's going on and I have looked at it several times but haven't pulled the trigger. I'm not sure if there's enough yet to really get me to commit but if the price is still low I may look into it a little bit more. It needs to have this sort of Gary's mod online component for me to really kind of have some sort of long-term interest. I hate the kind of narrow down like that because it's just probably as narrow as just wanting to have this game for the physics and things that this video is touting. Given it's an early access I have no doubt that the game will continue to grow in the ways that will address all the main criticisms.
It does support workshop/mods and has a decent collections of those already.
That said, a multiplayer mode could indeed do wonders for this game.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
It does support workshop/mods and has a decent collections of those already.
That said, a multiplayer mode could indeed do wonders for this game.
Yeah I watched the video and given the premise of the game it does seem like fun. And of course probably my main thing is wanting some form of online for the future.

But I do see this as one of those games that has a large upside and if they manage to add hardware accelerated Ray tracing I think that would help a lot.

I have absolutely no problem running the way it was suggested in the video but I would imagine with some Ray tracing powered by the tensor cores on top of probably some DLSS support, it would do wonders for performance.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
I really like what I've seen with it. Though I heard it def. runs like garbage on 10xx series and below cards, which leaves my 1080ti not feeling too confident. If/when I can get my hands on a 30xx series cards it's a game I def. want to check out. I love the voxel work that's been done.

Guilty_AI

I really like what I've seen with it. Though I heard it def. runs like garbage on 10xx series and below cards, which leaves my 1080ti not feeling too confident. If/when I can get my hands on a 30xx series cards it's a game I def. want to check out. I love the voxel work that's been done.
I played it on a GTX 1660 super + i5 and the game runs pretty well at 60 fps with some drops.

Performance will only drastically reduce when you start using certain mods (Mjölner hammer on a cityscape community map ☠️), but for the main game it does just fine.

Guilty_AI

I have absolutely no problem running the way it was suggested in the video but I would imagine with some Ray tracing powered by the tensor cores on top of probably some DLSS support, it would do wonders for performance.
I don't know if it would be possible using tensor cores. Ray tracing here seems to work differently from the ones being used in "normal" games.

Great Hair

Banned
What does a gamer gain from destroying a city to the ground (like Saints Row)? Gets repetitive, boring pretty fast. I don´t see conceptually any use for it. Have the player blow up a wall to progress in the next Call of Duty, but the whole level? a building?

Unless you turn this into a Red Faction Guerilla like game, i don´t see the use for this at all. Half Life 2 had great physics, yet somehow every company gave up on implementing them (too much work?).

Star Wars Unleashed, Battlefield Company 2 among others have done it decades ago.

Knowing Gi Joe GIF by MOODMAN

Im Right Told You So GIF by DeRay Davis

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Definitely the kind of thing I'd rather see than just crazy detailed games that aren't otherwise advancing world simulation.

(not that those aren't cool, but it's just prettier games... i prefer advancements in playing not just looking at games)

Dream-Knife

Banned
Honestly, there has been nothing that impressed me in the next gen games we've been shown so far.
While ray tracing and use of better assets with SSDs can do for interesting analysis, the way they're being implemented in games so far has been merely for the sake of visual improvements.
Thats because generations don't really exist anymore. This gen is just an improvement on last, like any PC upgrade. Now you wait for a game to set a bar.

If you've lived through any generation previously, I don't think there's anything outside of VR that will impress you.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Been playing it and there's plenty fun for a while. The campaign is a bit annoying at times especially when it's timer-based (which is rarely a good thing in games IMO..), but it's an early access game, so..

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

What does a gamer gain from destroying a city to the ground (like Saints Row)? Gets repetitive, boring pretty fast. I don´t see conceptually any use for it. Have the player blow up a wall to progress in the next Call of Duty, but the whole level? a building?

Unless you turn this into a Red Faction Guerilla like game, i don´t see the use for this at all. Half Life 2 had great physics, yet somehow every company gave up on implementing them (too much work?).

Star Wars Unleashed, Battlefield Company 2 among others have done it decades ago.

Knowing Gi Joe GIF by MOODMAN
Destructible enviroments fundamentally change how you approach and play the game. In fact, some of the games you mentioned showed that very well (Gravity gun on Half Life 2 is easily one of the most fun and memorable weapons in gaming). Other more recent games you can clearly see that are Noita and Starbase.
And while destruction physics isn't new, its the first time i've seen done to this level. None of the games you mentioned have proper fire simulation for example, nor fully persistent debris, and their enviroments aren't destructible to the tiniest detail.

Also, the reason they "abandoned" it (This is only true for big companies and they didn't really abandoned it) is probably because big publishers slowly started to realize its easier to sell games with pretty E3 trailers and cinematic interactive cutscenes. After all most marketing is done through images and videos, and in that case the one that looks best will almost always come out on top, and in that case it gets harder to give focus for other aspects of the game.
I mean, think about it. Most people will look at this and say "ew cubes", despite the fact it has a lot more going on under the hood and far more emergent gameplay potential than a RDR2, TLoU2 or The Witcher 3.

a65d64b12db7c54bbd77f93d958c62d5.jpg

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Been playing it and there's plenty fun for a while. The campaign is a bit annoying at times especially when it's timer-based (which is rarely a good thing in games IMO..), but it's an early access game, so..
I quite enjoy the campaign actually. Though thats because i tend to enjoy puzzle games a lot, time based included.

Kilau

Gold Member
It runs pretty great on my laptop, I thought it would be terrible on it.

Onto the game:

I was impressed with Teardown when i'd first seen it, however its only after playing the game that i stopped and thought "wow".
I could explain all the things that makes this game impressive, but DF did a video breaking that stuff down already so you can watch it for that.

It has been a long time since i just stopped to appreciate a game like this. I would just go inside a house, start a small fire and watch it as it slowly spreads. Considering the game not only uses physical simulation of materials but also voxel ray tracing and even fluid physiscs for the smoke, you're in for one of the most satisfying visual treats you can get in a game.

While the physics aren't perfect by any means, i haven't seen another game that goes that far dynamically yet.

Another aspect i'd like to adress is the gameplay. I was expecting more of a tech demo with some excuse for gameplay like Beamng drive, but gameplay here can be surprisingly engaging, playing a lot like a physics based puzzle game.

Either way, game is still in Early Access and still updating, so i fully expect it get even better in the future.

Nope id say dreams on ps4.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
I played it on a GTX 1660 super + i5 and the game runs pretty well at 60 fps with some drops.

Performance will only drastically reduce when you start using certain mods (Mjölner hammer on a cityscape community map ☠️), but for the main game it does just fine.

It runs pretty great on my laptop, I thought it would be terrible on it.

Good to know. I know I saw a video saying that performance was bad, but maybe I'm misremembering and they were talking about raytracing or something.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Onto the game:

puke GIF

Paaaaaassss....

Top Bottom