• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Xbox is Back to the 360 Era

Godot25

Banned
Hello Everyone,

Xbox's E3 has concluded. As we all know the internet has always created this myth of Xbox having no games. While that may have been true a few years ago, the last 2-3 years of studio purchases and new games/ip announcements have started to really showcase with what's happening over at Team Xbox. This thread is not being made to upset or piss anyone of, it's simply a thread too really sit down and take a look at a bigger picture of where Team Xbox is going and what is happening over the course of the next few years. I personally think the E3 show was quite solid considering what the developers were able to announce and show to the world after a horrible last year. While I didn't get too see all the games I truly wanted to see such as Everwild, Perfect Dark and Fable. I was still quite convinced that I liked where Xbox was going forward.

Game Pass continues to really impress and the amount of new games announced today also was content enough for me. For a show that had to deal with Coronavirus over the last year, I give the developers MASSIVE RESPECTS for their hard work and the will to keep going, props to the devs. Granted, if coronavirus did not happen, you could take everything in this thread and minus it by 1 or 1.5 years, but such is life. Looking over at this list here, makes me extremely happy. This generation of gaming already seems much more exciting than the start of 2013 with the PS4/X1. The lineup below really reminds me of the 360 era in some shape or form. You have a ton of RPGs coming out such as Elder Scrolls 6, Fable Starfield, Awoved and The Outer Worlds 2. Plenty of FPS games with Halo Infinite, Perfect Dark (assuming its FPS) and of course Redfall.

The release date windows are MY personal predictions. Let's take a peek.

Exclusive 1st Party Titles

1. Halo Infinite: Cross-gen Holiday 2021
  2. Forza Horizon 5: Cross-gen - November 9th, 2021
  3. Grounded: Cross-gen - July 28th, 2020
  4. Scorn: Next Gen Only Fall 2021 (MS Funded after Kickstarter, but NOT a 1st party studio)
  5. Flight Simulator Next Gen Only July 27th, 2021 (Out on PC)
  6. Psychonauts 2 Cross-Gen August 25th, 2021 (No PS5 Version, ONLY Series X but for Sony PS4 - not a true exclusive, but an exclusive in a different way, a black sheep)
  7. Age of Empires IV PC Only October 28th, 2021
  8. Starfield: Next Gen Only November 11th 2022
  9. Redfall: Next Gen Only Summer 2022
  10. State of Decay 3: Next Gen Only TBA 2023/2024
  11. Awoved: Next Gen Only TBA 2023/2024
  12. Fable: Next Gen Only TBA 2023/2024
  13. The Outer Worlds 2: Next Gen Only TBA 2024/2025
  14. Perfect Dark: Next Gen Only TBA 2023/2024
  15. Hellblade II: Next Gen Only TBA 2023/2024
  16. Everwild: Next Gen Only TBA 2024/2025
  17. Gears 6: Next Gen Only TBA 2024/2025
  18. Elder Scrolls 6: Next Gen Only TBA 2024/2025
  19. Contraband: Next Gen Only TBA 2023/2024
  20. Indiana Jones Next Gen Only TBA 2023/2024
  21. Forza Motorsport Next Gen Only TBA 2023/2024
Timed Exclusives

1. Warhammer 40K: Darktide: Next Gen Only 2021
  2. The Gunk: Cross-gen September 2021
  3. 12 Minutes: Cross-gen August 19th , 2021
  4. The Medium: Next Gen Only January 28th, 2021
  5. S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Next Gen Only April 28th, 2022
  6. The Ascent Next Gen Only July 28th, 200212
I am probably missing a few games, but these are top of my head. If I missed any timed exclusives or exclusives. Please let me know and I hope this gives people here a list too look forward too and see how the line up is shaping up. I think its quite diverse and has a lot of good and exciting games for many different kinds of people. I am quite happy!
And it really kicks you when you realize, that Microsoft didn't touch games/studios like id Software, Compulsion Games, Roundhouse, inXile (2 rumored projects), Zenimax Online (2 rumored projects), that new Coalition IP, Wolfenstein 3, IO Dragon game and other Xbox Game Publishing games, new Double Fine Project, game from Josh Sawyer @ Obsidian, Project Mara, rumored Kojima colaboration, and fact we will also get Deathloop and GhostWire after 1 year PS5 console exclusivity.

Yup. It would be great.

I mean. Hermen Hulst recently said, that PlayStation Studios had 25 games in development. So it doesn't look that bad for Microsoft to rival that.

Last edited:

sendit

God, I love the Xguys annual Microsoft is on a different level now after E3 boasting. No fanbase drinks the Kool-Aid with such zeal as these cats do.

I remember reading this gen was supposed to be different than the last before it got started. Nothing's changed, we have the same posters predicting shit they hope will happen. I guess we will find out next year, I suppose.
Agreed.

zedinen

PS2 / Xbox era
Which is why PlayStation shared its FY22 forecasts with the public

360 benefited from a perfect storm:
- Sony Corporation crisis in the mid 2000s

- Japan shunned home consoles and its industry fell behind curve

- PlayStation spread too thin after PSP launch

- PS3 hit Europe 18 months later at twice the price, lost $5Bn

- "PS3 has no games"

- Financial crisis in the late 2000s destroyed japanese exporters

- Sony Corp rating was degraded to junk status during the PS3/PS4 transition

- Sony Corp. sold its headquarters to survive

- At the end 360 couldn't stop PS3 Slim comeback, and , what's worse, PSN and PS Studios growth.

Microsoft blew its chance, unlike Apple and Samsung.
-Sony's gaming revenue is set to post Tencent-like growth for the next 5 years.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Yep, doing victory laps for finishing 3rd :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Only joking, I think comparing it to the 360 era is actually doing them a disservice. I think they have made better decisions this time around and have obviously grown their first party studios to create true first party console exclusives. In that generation (as the post above stated) they became competitive because of Sony's fuck ups at the start of that gen and all they had to do was be competent. I think now they are taking the fight to Sony more proactively. I think it is still a bit early to get too excited, we have seen very little of the actual games announced and nothing that suggests the hardware is any better than the competition (yet).

Brofist

PS2 / Xbox era
Which is why PlayStation shared its FY22 forecasts with the public

360 benefited from a perfect storm:
- Sony Corporation crisis in the mid 2000s

- Japan shunned home consoles and its industry fell behind curve

- PlayStation spread too thin after PSP launch

- PS3 hit Europe 18 months later at twice the price, lost $5Bn

- "PS3 has no games"

- Financial crisis in the late 2000s destroyed japanese exporters

- Sony Corp rating was degraded to junk status during the PS3/PS4 transition

- Sony Corp. sold its headquarters to survive

- At the end 360 couldn't stop PS3 Slim comeback, and , what's worse, PSN and PS Studios growth.

Microsoft blew its chance, unlike Apple and Samsung.
-Sony's gaming revenue is set to post Tencent-like growth for the next 5 years.
The whole Playstation brand came about in the same way. Peak arrogant cartridge Nintendo, and Sega collapse. They swooped in with a price undercutting the competition and with moneyhats galore.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Taking away the GamePass day#1 aspect, and simply looking at it as a catalogue of product, it seems better than the past few years offerings but objectively not overwhelmingly impressive.

Thirty7ven

Banned
I don’t think so, there doesn’t seem to be much parallel at all. Mass Effect, Gears of War, Halo 3, PGR3.

It looks like it will reach best form since the 360 era, that I agree with.

Griffon

2bd.png

Dr Bass

...you probably fell asleep in the last 12 months ... Xbox has twice the size of Sony's first party studios. and many of these are highly acclaimed studios. Sony is at a distinct disadvantage when it comes to first party studios. in addition ... unfortunately they are fixated on third person action games .... leaving out practically any other genre
None of this is true. Sony is more than fine in the first party situation. You think this stuff changes on a dime?

I hope Xbox puts out some great stuff, but results matter. We need to see what the results will be.

Playstation is doing just fine and will likely continue to “win” comfortably. This just isn’t going to change. The over the top rhetoric of the Xbox only gang continues to confuse and shows a distinct disconnect from reality.

Last edited:

Klayzer

None of this is true. Sony is more than fine in the first party situation. You think this stuff changes on a dime?

I hope Xbox puts out some great stuff, but results matter. We need to see what the results will be.

Playstation is doing just fine and will likely continue to “win” comfortably. This just isn’t going to change. The over the top rhetoric of the Xbox only gang continues to confuse and shows a distinct disconnect from reality.
Wish I could have some of the shit they be smoking. Alternate reality stuff.

PuffyCan

xbox will be at x360 era level when they bring back JRPGs and 2d party support, and they're not there yet. They closed the gap in studio with Sony which is a much better than before

Rickyiez

As much as I wanted the Xbox to return to 360 days glory ,

But no I don't think so ........ yet

Until most of the games are released , as of now calm your tits .

There is only Forza with release date so far . And also Scorn , really ?

Top Bottom