• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Xbox is Back to the 360 Era

zcaa0g

Banned
So your definition of "diversity" is ....

1st person?

Those games are all very different BTW.

I've also never in my life heard the term 3rdPersonStation.

I hope Xbox can get back to it's glory days, sure. It really felt like something amazing and new when the OG Xbox hit. And I'm sure most around here remember the Wii60 duo.

No, that was a plea for Sony to at least do something different from 3rd person action games. I realize these are "all timer" 3rd person action games, but it wouldn't hurt to expand the genres.

Well, you have now heard of 3rdPersonStation because it is true.

Barakov

Gold Member
CloudyUnacceptableEmperorshrimp-size_restricted.gif
That's definitely the "well, at least I'll still be rich after this is over" face.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
First person shooter is a genre.

3rd person action games are a genre.

Nice try, PS fan boy, but first person shooters play very different from those 3rd person action games and they are different genres.
So correcting someone is being a fanboy now?Do you honestly believe Uncharted and god of war are the same genre?
Because based on that way of thinking there's like less than 10 genre in the whole gaming world....Rocket league,NBA 2k or live and wii sport are sport games, there's fps and action games wow that's a really nuance and deeply thougtout point there.
You know what all the manufacturer are doing games played on screens ... not enough diversity there...
You may just need to stop thinking about console war for a bit and try to be honest.
Are God of war and uncharted from the same genre?And if yes are State of decay and gears the same genre?Or maybe Journey and Crackdown the same?they're 3rd person camera afterall why bother construct a compelling argument when you can just spew bullshit?No man's sky and Halo Infinite are the same games by those standards.
Quit the console war and maybe consider that the poster I replied to might've been wrong calling all those games similar.
It is simply so reductive that you can't really be thinking that he's right.

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
In your opinion, what genres are GoW and Uncharted franchises?
One is a 3rd person shooter does that apply to god of war ?I mean I can understand someone calling Uncharted and Gears of war of the same genre because they are.
But How in the world is a shooter the same than a light RPG/Beat them all.

Edit: should we say lite or light RPG I always mix those 2 ... or both are valid?

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
One is a 3rd person shooter does that apply to god of war ?I mean I can understand someone calling Uncharted and Gears of war of the same genre because they are.
But How in the world is a shooter the same than a light RPG/Beat them all.

Edit: should we say lite or light RPG I always mix those 2 ... or both are valid?
Actually you agree with the other guy then.

He said the same thing breaking up genres into FP and TP, and then shooter and action game. Which makes sense as genres are broken up into key gameplay mechanic or topic, and sometimes camera. Typically shooters and action games get first person and third person variants too. Yet something like racing games, nobody say first person or third person racers. All racers get lumped together.

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Actually you agree with the other guy then.

He said the same thing breaking up genres into FP and TP, and then shooter and action game. Which makes sense as genres are broken up into key gameplay mechanic or topic, and sometimes camera. Typically shooters and action games get first person and third person variants too. Yet something like racing games, nobody say first person or third person racers. All racers get lumped together.
So to you and him they are the same because if you twist the logic and stay reductive they are the same ?The camera isn't representative of a genre, because based on that logic there are 2 genres.Do you really think that all the games he listed are the same and lacks diversity (not even acknowledging the plethora of games he left out).I mean I can also say that Halo,Gears,Crackdown,Killzone,Pokemon Snap,Lylat wars,Metroid Prime,Geometry wars,Dead nation and House of the dead are just shooters but you will probably agree that there is diversity there?
So even by following this twisted and totally reductive logic there's diversity.Which is my point since the beginning.
And I don't even mean compared to Xbox or anything simply that someone saying there's no diversity and using a strawman as argument is not a valid point.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Not when half your fucking list is 2023 or beyond.

"Team Xbox is looking like it's starting to head in the direction of wanting to be back in the 360 era" might be a better title.

You don't want to say it's like the 360. After three or four years all the games people left and then they stopped making games bringing on the era of the matrick.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
So to you and him they are the same because if you twist the logic and stay reductive they are the same ?The camera isn't representative of a genre, because based on that logic there are 2 genres.Do you really think that all the games he listed are the same and lacks diversity (not even acknowledging the plethora of games he left out).I mean I can also say that Halo,Gears,Crackdown,Killzone,Pokemon Snap,Lylat wars,Metroid Prime,Geometry wars,Dead nation and House of the dead are just shooters but you will probably agree that there is diversity there?
So even by following this twisted and totally reductive logic there's diversity.Which is my point since the beginning.
And I don't even mean compared to Xbox or anything simply that someone saying there's no diversity and using a strawman as argument is not a valid point.
Most people will say FPS and TPS are separate genres, even though both involve shooting.

As for GoW and Uncharted, I'd say GoW is an action game because for me I don't separate FP and TP for action games. To me, GoW, DMC and Dying Light are the same. Action games.

But for shooters, I split them into FPS and TPS, which Uncharted with its gunplay is a TPS (same for Gears), but COD is a FPS.

Vasto

That is a list at 6 months into the gen. Already better than the entire 360 generation. Just top it, Xbox has never looked this good. :messenger_ok:

Last edited:
I doubt we will EVER get close to the x360 era. Just to think that games like Otogi, Otogi 2, Ninja Gaiden, Gears of War, Ninja Gaiden 2, Forza, Dead or Alive 4, Halo, Project Gotham, Rallisport, OddWorld, Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Magna Carta, Alan Wake to name a few were exclusive to Microsoft systems. It’s just way too early at this point to declare Microsoft is back to their glory days. Those future games can come out and not be good. We should wait until we play them before claiming anything.

Pull n Pray

Banned
Are God of war and uncharted from the same genre?And if yes are State of decay and gears the same genre?Or maybe Journey and Crackdown the same?they're 3rd person camera afterall why bother construct a compelling argument when you can just spew bullshit?No man's sky and Halo Infinite are the same games by those standards.
The PlayStation store lists Spider-man, God of War, and Uncharted 4 as all being in the "Action" genre. The Xbox store lists Halo & Gears as "Shooter", and lists State of Decay 2 & No Man's Sky as "Action Adventure".

Obviously these are broad categories and a lot of diversity can exist within each of them. But still, PlayStation would benefit from adding some more shooters and RPG's to their first party lineup, and I'm sure they will.

b6a6es

Banned
Xbox future looks promising for sure, but I highly doubt it’ll ever reach the early 360 days, which was Magical imo with a massive diverse Library both western & Japanese, all of which was 100% exclusive.

Remember the 12TF power of tower vs the rushed overclocked 9TF machine?

Not to mention the fact Sony blew their load on last gen with GoT and TLOU whilst Microsoft was ready and prepared on next gen with Hellblade II.

Time is indeed a flat circle!

More like MS dropped the ball hard by releasing Series S/X too early with literally Zero 1st party titles (8 months & counting so far), Sony was clearly more prepared for it’s System launch with actual exclusives both at lanch & the months after (Like Returnal & R&C), and with all the talks about MS being late to provide dev kits (as seen by infernor performance of 3rd party titles compared to PS5) they should’ve honestly delayed the systems releases till March 2021.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Will have to wait for reviews, most these games havent been shown any gameplay and some havent even been shown yet.

Sales wise or “mind share”, Xbox isnt gonna be like 360 ever again for many reason

Hello Everyone,

Xbox's E3 has concluded. As we all know the internet has always created this myth of Xbox having no games. While that may have been true a few years ago, the last 2-3 years of studio purchases and new games/ip announcements have started to really showcase with what's happening over at Team Xbox. This thread is not being made to upset or piss anyone of, it's simply a thread too really sit down and take a look at a bigger picture of where Team Xbox is going and what is happening over the course of the next few years. I personally think the E3 show was quite solid considering what the developers were able to announce and show to the world after a horrible last year. While I didn't get too see all the games I truly wanted to see such as Everwild, Perfect Dark and Fable. I was still quite convinced that I liked where Xbox was going forward.

Game Pass continues to really impress and the amount of new games announced today also was content enough for me. For a show that had to deal with Coronavirus over the last year, I give the developers MASSIVE RESPECTS for their hard work and the will to keep going, props to the devs. Granted, if coronavirus did not happen, you could take everything in this thread and minus it by 1 or 1.5 years, but such is life. Looking over at this list here, makes me extremely happy. This generation of gaming already seems much more exciting than the start of 2013 with the PS4/X1. The lineup below really reminds me of the 360 era in some shape or form. You have a ton of RPGs coming out such as Elder Scrolls 6, Fable Starfield, Awoved and The Outer Worlds 2. Plenty of FPS games with Halo Infinite, Perfect Dark (assuming its FPS) and of course Redfall.

The release date windows are MY personal predictions. Let's take a peek.

Exclusive 1st Party Titles

1. Halo Infinite: Cross-gen Holiday 2021
  2. Forza Horizon 5: Cross-gen - November 9th, 2021
  3. Grounded: Cross-gen - July 28th, 2020
  4. Scorn: Next Gen Only Fall 2021 (MS Funded after Kickstarter, but NOT a 1st party studio)
  5. Flight Simulator Next Gen Only July 27th, 2021 (Out on PC)
  6. Psychonauts 2 Cross-Gen August 25th, 2021 (No PS5 Version, ONLY Series X but for Sony PS4 - not a true exclusive, but an exclusive in a different way, a black sheep)
  7. Age of Empires IV PC Only October 28th, 2021
  8. Starfield: Next Gen Only November 11th 2022
  9. Redfall: Next Gen Only Summer 2022
  10. State of Decay 3: Next Gen Only TBA 2023/2024
  11. Awoved: Next Gen Only TBA 2023/2024
  12. Fable: Next Gen Only TBA 2023/2024
  13. The Outer Worlds 2: Next Gen Only TBA 2024/2025
  14. Perfect Dark: Next Gen Only TBA 2023/2024
  15. Hellblade II: Next Gen Only TBA 2023/2024
  16. Everwild: Next Gen Only TBA 2024/2025
  17. Gears 6: Next Gen Only TBA 2024/2025
  18. Elder Scrolls 6: Next Gen Only TBA 2024/2025
  19. Contraband: Next Gen Only TBA 2023/2024
  20. Indiana Jones Next Gen Only TBA 2023/2024
  21. Forza Motorsport Next Gen Only TBA 2023/2024
Timed Exclusives

1. Warhammer 40K: Darktide: Next Gen Only 2021
  2. The Gunk: Cross-gen September 2021
  3. 12 Minutes: Cross-gen August 19th , 2021
  4. The Medium: Next Gen Only January 28th, 2021
  5. S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Next Gen Only April 28th, 2022
  6. The Ascent Next Gen Only July 28th, 200212
I am probably missing a few games, but these are top of my head. If I missed any timed exclusives or exclusives. Please let me know and I hope this gives people here a list too look forward too and see how the line up is shaping up. I think its quite diverse and has a lot of good and exciting games for many different kinds of people. I am quite happy!
You know just because some games are nextgen only doesnt really matter, the ascent, the medium are average looking games. Only forza 5 impressed me

Quantum253

That would be great. I mained Xbox360 and had PS3 for exclusives. It was the Xbox One / PS4 conferences that made me jump ship and move fully to Playstation. Phil and team have had a hard recovery, but I wouldn't mind jumping back into Xbox. I do like the idea of GamePass, so I might just play the games I can on PC.

Pull n Pray

Banned
I doubt we will EVER get close to the x360 era. Just to think that games like Otogi, Otogi 2, Ninja Gaiden, Gears of War, Ninja Gaiden 2, Forza, Dead or Alive 4, Halo, Project Gotham, Rallisport, OddWorld, Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Magna Carta, Alan Wake to name a few were exclusive to Microsoft systems. It’s just way too early at this point to declare Microsoft is back to their glory days. Those future games can come out and not be good. We should wait until we play them before claiming anything.
I agree that we should wait until they come out to declare them as successes. But I disagree with you about whether Series X will get close to the 360 era. In the end, I expect it will exceed the 360 era.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Most people will say FPS and TPS are separate genres, even though both involve shooting.

As for GoW and Uncharted, I'd say GoW is an action game because for me I don't separate FP and TP for action games. To me, GoW, DMC and Dying Light are the same. Action games.

But for shooters, I split them into FPS and TPS, which Uncharted with its gunplay is a TPS (same for Gears), but COD is a FPS.
Alright but that's like your opinion man (the gif wasn't working sorry) but look at any gaming website and it will not just say action adventure for all those games.
And yet again it doesn't invalidate the point that this list shows lack of variety.
And even better you agree with me that Uncharted and Gow are not the same genre.
So I will give you my opinion on the subjet and it is simple if it plays basically the same and has the same scope it's the same genre.
I think Scope is probably the most underrated aspect of a game nowadays, for example Killzone SF used in some form raytracing but was it at the same scope (or scale) than the raytraing games that are coming out ?Nowhere near.
So basically you can't draw conclusions from a very reductive and personal opinion toward anything.
You may not like them or even not like 3rd person or Fps but this doesn't mean that there is a lack of variety.

Too soon to say but MS future has never been brighter. Game Pass has evolved from a service that I first made fun of, to one I fully support and look forward to seeing more.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
As we all know the internet has always created this myth of Xbox having no games.
"We all know"? "Always"? :pie_thinking:

IsvMY.jpg

As a gamer there is going to be a steady stream of great gamepass titles that start landing within the next week all the way until next year….I really don’t see this as a bad thing at all.

I didn’t like returnal…I completed the fantastic ratchet and clank in about 8 hours and don’t feel the need to go back to it and horizon zero dawn 2 will most likely be a 2022 title so the Xbox is probably going to be my main platform to game on now

I’m currently enjoying playing through death of an outsider with the FPS boost…so much better

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Alright but that's like your opinion man (the gif wasn't working sorry) but look at any gaming website and it will not just say action adventure for all those games.
And yet again it doesn't invalidate the point that this list shows lack of variety.
And even better you agree with me that Uncharted and Gow are not the same genre.
So I will give you my opinion on the subjet and it is simple if it plays basically the same and has the same scope it's the same genre.
I think Scope is probably the most underrated aspect of a game nowadays, for example Killzone SF used in some form raytracing but was it at the same scope (or scale) than the raytraing games that are coming out ?Nowhere near.
So basically you can't draw conclusions from a very reductive and personal opinion toward anything.
You may not like them or even not like 3rd person or Fps but this doesn't mean that there is a lack of variety.
Maybe you should calm down. Why you are going hyper in a thread about Xbox and derailing it with genres and camera classifications is on you.

I never said anything about variety of games on a system. I was just giving you tips on how people can classify games based on camera or content, which every person and website can do their own way.

Your opinion on how games should be classified is no better than anyone else's.

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
The PlayStation store lists Spider-man, God of War, and Uncharted 4 as all being in the "Action" genre. The Xbox store lists Halo & Gears as "Shooter", and lists State of Decay 2 & No Man's Sky as "Action Adventure".

Obviously these are broad categories and a lot of diversity can exist within each of them. But still, PlayStation would benefit from adding some more shooters and RPG's to their first party lineup, and I'm sure they will.
That's basically what I was saying even if you broaden the definition to its maximum it absolutely does not represent a lack of variety.
For RPG they are pretty well placed in the Jrpg segment for wrpg (that I assume you are referring to)there's a problem but not where you mention it and that's a discussion that there's been a lot here ...What is a RPG .The definition is the player incarnate 1 or several characters that must fill a quest.Based on that logic a lot of games are RPG.God of war can be considered an rpg, there's quest, leveling etc, but journey is also an rpg based on that and honestly I don't think anyone can really consider it that way.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Maybe you should calm down. Why you are going hyper in a thread about Xbox and derailing it with genres and camera classifications is on you.

I never said anything about variety of games on a system. I was just giving you tips on how people can classify games based on camera or content, which every person and website can do their own way.

Your opinion on how games should be classified is no better than anyone else's.
Sorry if I sound harsh english is not my native language and I know I sometimes sound more crude that I want to be.
Exactly my opinion is as valid as anyone's, however I'm not claiming that X or Y brand lack of diversity, which is what the poster I was replying to was doing.I simply expressed him that his point was not valid, maybe you haven't seen his post about it.
He simply started by saying that there was a lack of diversity because a fraction of sony games where 3rd person.To which I just replied that it can't be the sole way of comparing games because otherwise there would be only 2 genres.

Kokoloko85

FIFY. Great games but genre diversity would be nice.

God of War: 3rd person
TLoU: 3rd person
The Last Guardian: 3rd person
Horizon: 3rd person
Days Gone: 3rd Person
Ghosts of Tshushima: 3rd person
Uncharted: 3rd person
Infamous: 3rd Person
Spiderman: 3rd person

They don't call it the 3rdPersonStation for nothing. Would like to see reboots on Killzone and Resistance.

They are 3rd person but they are different genres and very different to each other.

BloodBorne is 3rd person but its not the same as Ghost of Tsushima or Shadow of the Colossus which are also 3rd person. And they are different to Uncharted or God of War.
Same with Knack and Ratchet and Clank.

The only similar ones are Spider man, Ghost of Tsushima and Horizon and they all have great different combat.

Plus there was a Killzone at launch

Id like to see a Resistance sequel or a decent Killzone as I didnt like the last one.
But Id rather have some more RPG’s TBH. JRPG and WRPG’s, dont care if they are 3rd person.

Fighting games PS5 will be fine. King of Fighters, probably a Street Fighter 6 and Guilty Gear Along with the usual 3rd party fighting games.

Id like another racing game ala Motor Storm.

Tschumi

Sony not being the dominant force in the industry
Your word choice, not mine...

My point is that you're clearly operating in a echo chambered world that exists outside of reality.... I'm not trying to shit on xbox but there's no question that playstation is, at present at least, ahead of xbox. So like the things you say come across as someone with light shining out of their eyes spurting sweet nothings at a fountain in the garden of xbox whilst high on shrooms

Last edited:

KAL2006

Banned
List wars are pointless no one has time to play that many games or even interested in that many games. For example i know many who won't care for Flight simulator. I know people who will try Pschonaughts 2 but it's not something they are crazy about and must have. The best think for anyone is to see what game they must have and are seriously hyped about. Out of the games announced for me it's Forza Horizon 5. Also I would give Halo a try but it's not something I'm crazy about. Finally Starfield and Avowed could potentially be must haves for me but I haven't seen enough to confirm that. Potentially Fable as well based on Playgrounds making decent Forza Horizon games.

The same can be said about Sony, God of War Ragnarok and Horizon Forbidden West are both must haves for me as well as Miles Morales. Stuff like Returnal and Ratchet while look decent it's not something that would make me want to purchase a system for. So please people don't just list a ton of games make a note of games you genuinely care about when making these lists.

EnzoArt

No, definitely NOT!

XBOX 360 had exclusive games, playable only on XBOX 360.

XBOX today shares DAY ONE ALL GREAT GAMES with another HARDWARE, PC.

Kokoloko85

Plus the 360 was the absolute best place to play JPN games like: NG2, Vesperia, Star Ocean 4, Eternal Sanato, Lost Odyssey, etc.

Star Ocean and Eternal Sanato also came out on the PS3. Even though Vesperia and Lost Odssey were awesome.

PS3 had Tales of Xillia,1-2, Symphonia and Zesteria but Vesperia on the 360 was my favourite out of them.

360 had impressive JRPG’s and Japanese games but PS3 had more Japanese games as expected

PS3 had MGS4, Demon Souls, Ni No Kuni, Valkyrie Chronicles, Yakuza 5, Catherine, Disgaea etc Some of my favourites

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
List wars are pointless no one has time to play that many games or even interested in that many games. For example i know many who won't care for Flight simulator. I know people who will try Pschonaughts 2 but it's not something they are crazy about and must have. The best think for anyone is to see what game they must have and are seriously hyped about. Out of the games announced for me it's Forza Horizon 5. Also I would give Halo a try but it's not something I'm crazy about. Finally Starfield and Avowed could potentially be must haves for me but I haven't seen enough to confirm that. Potentially Fable as well based on Playgrounds making decent Forza Horizon games.

The same can be said about Sony, God of War Ragnarok and Horizon Forbidden West are both must haves for me as well as Miles Morales. Stuff like Returnal and Ratchet while look decent it's not something that would make me want to purchase a system for. So please people don't just list a ton of games make a note of games you genuinely care about when making these lists.
Yep and that has always been the best and only justification to why buy a console instead of another "I like their games more".
Whatelse is there to say?Just buy what makes you happy to buy and if others are happy with what they bought then good for them.
Well if they are not happy then it suck because those consoles ain't cheap (even though compared to smartphones they seem affordable).

Vasto

Yes, it's a list... And none of them are out yet 6 months into the gen. Do you play lists?

I did not buy my console for 6 months into the gen. I bought it for the generation and that list is already better than anything the competition has and we just getting started.

I play Game Pass baby. :messenger_horns:

#TheTruthHurts

Last edited:

gow3isben

XBox360 had great opening but really fizzled out at the end when PS3 had it by the balls releasing gangbuster after gangbuster.

It looks like the opposite here. End of Generation I can't see PS5 be anything but at the back foot here unless they get some more studios to deal with the sheer volume of MS's output. These timed third party deals are not going to work. As soon as third parties realize people are buying Xboxes due to all the exclusives they won't be wined and dined by Sony as easily anymore.

Last edited:
Top Bottom