• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Ninja willl announce 'several new titles' this year, and Nioh is seemingly done

Bullet Club

Team Ninja willl announce 'several new titles' this year, and Nioh is seemingly done​

If it ends, it ends

I could talk for hours about Team Ninja.

The studio that built its house on Dead or Alive but really made its name with 2004's Ninja Gaiden is one of the most fascinating action developers around. Ninja Gaiden (Black) is still an absolute classic, and its legacy coasted them through some tougher times. They even managed to snag a contract to develop Metroid: Other M, and helped Omega Force with Hyrule Warriors! They've accomplished a lot over the two decades and change they've been around.

But regardless of their prior accomplishments, I see 2017 as a turning point for Team Ninja. Nioh really knocked it out of the park, and showed us what this crew can really do; properly shedding them of the baggage of Tomonobu Itagaki. According to the studio, that Nioh journey is done, but they have a lot more in store for us soon enough.

Speaking to Famitsu, Team Ninja producer Fumihiko Yasuda states that the "development of the Nioh series will reach a resting point" after "seven long years of development." As a note, they're presumably counting the time between developing Nioh to the release of the final DLC for Nioh 2, and/or the upcoming remaster bundle.

I'll be sad to see it go, but if they want to hang it up, they've done right by the series. That said, 4Gamer also had the chance to chat with Team Ninja, and there are allegedly exciting things in store for 2021. Yasuda tells the outlet that they are "preparing to announce several new titles" from the studio this year, and to "look forward to them."

So based on Yasuda's prior comments, none of them will likely be Nioh related. This uncertain future is kind of thrilling! I hope the continue to build on Nioh's success.

End of Year Creator Interviews

Source: Destructoid

P.Jack

I’m a big fan of Team Ninja, so this is excellent news. Hopefully they’ll shape up Dead or Alive or better yet, make a new 3D fighter. I was rather disappointed with DOA6, especially coming from DOA5 which was the best 3D fighter not called Tekken.

Recently played through Ninja Gaiden 3: Razors Edge and it is actually a great game, despite what some would have you believe. My brother, who is a big NG fan, told me to not touch NG3 with a ten foot pole so I stayed away. I don’t know about the original NG3, but Razors Edge was a blast from start to finish. Made me want to replay the first two again.

So yeah, I’d love a Ninja Gaiden 4!

Elios83

I think they'll try to bring back Ninja Gaiden at this point while the DOA team will make DOA7.
But I'd like to see a new IP instead of the traditional series although they're safer bets for them.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Missed the most important thing. KT said that they'll announce games that will make fans say "Finally!" this year.

Kacho

Gold Member
Please bring back Ninja Gaiden. I don’t care for Nioh at all...

Missed the most important thing. KT said that they'll announce games that will make fans say "Finally!" this year.
Ninja Gaiden and Fatal Frame. Let’s gooooo

Last edited:
The two Nioh titles gave the modern incarnation of Team Ninja an actual identity. While I don't have any particular fondness for the current crew working under the studio's banner, I hope whatever is in their pipeline has had enough time to gestate and allows them to produce more Nioh-like success, rather than middling imitations of past achievements.

Aldynes

Ninja Gaiden please and bring back the essence system like 1 and 2, having to make split second decisions like choosing to keep the huge yellow essence to have money or instead burn it to an instant ultimate technique is key to the flow of the combat, I've never played anything quite like Ninja Gaiden it's my absolute favorite in the genre, the perfect marriage of a beat them up and versus fighting game, the plot and story was meh, but the gameplay is pure gold, I need my fix, i need this next game to be Izuna Dropped into my console!

GrayFoxPL

I’m a big fan of Team Ninja, so this is excellent news. Hopefully they’ll shape up Dead or Alive or better yet, make a new 3D fighter. I was rather disappointed with DOA6, especially coming from DOA5 which was the best 3D fighter not called Tekken.

Recently played through Ninja Gaiden 3: Razors Edge and it is actually a great game, despite what some would have you believe. My brother, who is a big NG fan, told me to not touch NG3 with a ten foot pole so I stayed away. I don’t know about the original NG3, but Razors Edge was a blast from start to finish. Made me want to replay the first two again.

So yeah, I’d love a Ninja Gaiden 4!
I even liked the original NG3.

cireza

Banned
They have been doing great games for many years now. Dead or Alive 5, 6, Razor Edge, Hyrule Warriors are all great games. I did not play Nioh it is not on Xbox, but it is certainly a good game as well.

Haha fuck Koei Tecmo.
This might be a surprise to you, but I bought Dead or Alive 6 and none of the DLCs. Because, you know, you can ignore the DLCs. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Bkdk

It’s pretty amazing that they manage to be so efficient in pumping out their games. That’s great, don’t wanna wait so long for a game anymore.

They were all sooo copy and paste from DOA 5 -_-
They have been doing great games for many years now. Dead or Alive 5, 6, Razor Edge, Hyrule Warriors are all great games. I did not play Nioh it is not on Xbox, but it is certainly a good game as well.

This might be a surprise to you, but I bought Dead or Alive 6 and none of the DLCs. Because, you know, you can ignore the DLCs. Hope this helps.
I'm guessing you bought the extra characters separately, but my point is 99.99$ for fucking costumes mostly is ludicrous and scummy AF, add to that KT titles never get decent on sale price they're always at best 30% off even that steaming turd DW9 had a shit load of overpriced DLC, Arc system work are even worse! Selling fucking colors not unique costumes fucking colors for over 12$!

Clarissa

Banned

Get Nioh 2 when it's out on PC. It's soo good!!

Rean no Kiseki Rean no Kiseki yeap I bought the dlc characters seperately but didn't bother with Rachel.

cireza

Banned
I'm guessing you bought the extra characters separately, but my point is 99.99$ for fucking costumes mostly is ludicrous and scummy AF, add to that KT titles never get decent on sale price they're always at best 30% off even that steaming turd DW9 had a shit load of overpriced DLC, Arc system work are even worse! Selling fucking colors not unique costumes fucking colors for over 12$!
I don't understand how someone can be so upset about costumes that don't alter in anyway the gameplay. Just don't buy them. The Dead or Alive games are already loaded with free costumes to being with, many more than in other fighting games...

Last edited:
my point is 99.99$ for fucking costumes mostly is ludicrous and scummy AF
Trust me, I do sympathize with what you're saying, but going back to DoA5, the season passes are money savers for anyone that wants everything. The real issue is Koei Tecmo not offering something like a basic season pass, comprising new characters, stages, and maybe a single set of new costumes for a reasonable price; instead, the only option for the last two series' generations are a la carte purchases or the buy-everything approach.

Windheim

Neo Member
My dream game from Tecmo would be DoA reboot with MK levels of blood and violence.
Never going to happen, i know.

I don't understand how someone can be so upset about costumes that don't alter in anyway the gameplay. Just don't buy them. The Dead or Alive games are already loaded with free costumes to being with, many more than in other fighting games...
I don't play DoA6 though i own DoA5LR and enjoyed it for the most part, i'm mostly playing SFV/GBVS/T7 right now, thing is T7's season passes are on sale frequently, SFV is also on sale very often and you can get those costumes with fight money, my dismay is aimed at KT DLC practices in general.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I think Ninja Gaiden could use a remake that tinkers with the camera and updates the graphics. It's still a fantastic game worth playing from start to finish, but the camera is a weak link and a new coat of paint would be a treat.

Of course, a brand new Ninja Gaiden would be ideal, but they may need to remind themselves how it is done and forget Sigma ever existed.

Last edited:

TomoItagaki

Neo Member
Ninja Gaiden 4, Project Progressive and Dead or Alive Code Chronos as Xbox exclusives.
Also, let me play DOA3 and 4 on a modern platform like PC or something.

Gediminas

Banned
very very sad news!
game series is just amazing.

i don't remember who, but from their team, one of the guy, maybe boss, said, that he really like celtic mythology and would like to make a game with that setting. i hope. it will be the case in one of those two games.

D.Final

Banned

Team Ninja willl announce 'several new titles' this year, and Nioh is seemingly done​

If it ends, it ends

I could talk for hours about Team Ninja.

The studio that built its house on Dead or Alive but really made its name with 2004's Ninja Gaiden is one of the most fascinating action developers around. Ninja Gaiden (Black) is still an absolute classic, and its legacy coasted them through some tougher times. They even managed to snag a contract to develop Metroid: Other M, and helped Omega Force with Hyrule Warriors! They've accomplished a lot over the two decades and change they've been around.

But regardless of their prior accomplishments, I see 2017 as a turning point for Team Ninja. Nioh really knocked it out of the park, and showed us what this crew can really do; properly shedding them of the baggage of Tomonobu Itagaki. According to the studio, that Nioh journey is done, but they have a lot more in store for us soon enough.

Speaking to Famitsu, Team Ninja producer Fumihiko Yasuda states that the "development of the Nioh series will reach a resting point" after "seven long years of development." As a note, they're presumably counting the time between developing Nioh to the release of the final DLC for Nioh 2, and/or the upcoming remaster bundle.

I'll be sad to see it go, but if they want to hang it up, they've done right by the series. That said, 4Gamer also had the chance to chat with Team Ninja, and there are allegedly exciting things in store for 2021. Yasuda tells the outlet that they are "preparing to announce several new titles" from the studio this year, and to "look forward to them."

So based on Yasuda's prior comments, none of them will likely be Nioh related. This uncertain future is kind of thrilling! I hope the continue to build on Nioh's success.

End of Year Creator Interviews

Source: Destructoid
And I can't wait to see them

Top Bottom