• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Sometimes it's good to just take a break from the game for a while because you are becoming jaded. I had not played TF2 ever since the 2nd day after Engi update and it has worked reasonably well.

Volcynika

Javaman said:
I don't know why but I've been having a shorter patience threshold lately and find myself getting annoyed with the game more often. I'm not sure why.

You were wishing I was there to make sure you knew the truth. That you're a nub.

Javaman

Kuro Madoushi said:

Hmmm, I don't believe so. It's still just as fun as always most of the time. Maybe I should take a little break.

Who am I kidding. LOL. That game still has it's claws in me.

Javaman said:
I don't know why but I've been having a shorter patience threshold lately and find myself getting annoyed with the game more often. I'm not sure why.

I've had that also lately.

The thing with TF2 is that the games ones plays are not very consistent in quality. Evenly matched rounds on good maps with players who take their tasks seriously are awesome. Then when you play a unbalanced game, or a boring map, you think, 'This game CAN be so much fun, and this is so far from it... it's annoying'

Javaman

perryfarrell said:
I've had that also lately.

The thing with TF2 is that the games ones plays are not very consistent in quality. Evenly matched rounds on good maps with players who take their tasks seriously are awesome. Then when you play a unbalanced game, or a boring map, you think, 'This game CAN be so much fun, and this is so far from it... it's annoying'

Maybe I need to just relax and stop worrying about even teams so much. That's what I used to do back in the day and my original intent of the 2 round limits to maps. If a game was nice and even it'll tend to last longer (not counting massive sentry nests or unbalanced maps like Egypt), while a big imbalance should be over pretty quickly with a map change after 2 quick rounds.

One major annoyance of mine is having to tweak the time limits in the middle of almost every map. It would be much easier if mp_maxrounds=2 (or whatever the command is) would work with voting but whenever it's enabled, voting gets all screwed up. As it is since there's such a large variety of maps and types there's no good default time limit to get roughly 2 rounds out of a map (especially with a steam roll). It's made even more complicated since different maps handle sudden death and round over differently. Case in point, the typical maps like Dustbowl, Gravel, and Badwater only end the match when the round timer is over. Upwards and several other new ones (and IIRC gorge) goes by the map timer (20min) so the second team usually gets shafted unless I set the timer to 0.

Volcynika said:
You were wishing I was there to make sure you knew the truth. That you're a nub.

Volcantika

Yeef

Javaman said:
It's made even more complicated since different maps handle sudden death and round over differently. Case in point, the typical maps like Dustbowl, Gravel, and Badwater only end the match when the round timer is over. Upwards and several other new ones (and IIRC gorge) goes by the map timer (20min) so the second team usually gets shafted unless I set the timer to 0.
I don't remember which maps, but on some control point maps Red wins automatically when the time runs out even if blu has 4 of the 5 points. It's so very frustrating to lose that way.

Javaman

Kuro Madoushi said:
Well, if you're sick of losing, it doesn't help switching to the team getting rolled to even things up of course :p

I don't mind losing especially when the teams are balanced. I just think I've been too concerned about team balance lately. Those two statements don't really work well together haaha.

Volcynika

Stacked teams! Javastack helps 99% of the time.

And I hope the other engie while on Dustbowl and stuff thought I was helpful :lol I think it was Perry or something. I had to keep his and my sentry up on the second map for a bit of time.

Inkwell

Banned
Most of the time teams end up being unbalanced because no one will switch to the classes that are needed the most. I can't tell you how many times I've been on a losing team because there are no/not enough medics, engineers, etc. I happen to be a terrible medic, engineer, and spy so I try to stay away from those classes. I don't know if it's worse not picking one of those classes, or choosing one of them and sucking it up hard.

Edit: I'm finally at "member" status, and it only took about 1 year and 2 months to get it.

Yeef

Boonoo said:
I'll get excited sometime in 2012 when that update actually comes out!
I was building up metal for some hats now that I have all the weapons. Guess that'll have to stop until I get all the new stuff.

Yeef

Won said:
Just tell me already what the knife does!
Considering the Aladdin reference my guess would be it'll get some sort of bonus when you get helped by a player on the opposing team (healed, dispensered, teleported and such).

Of course, they could always ignore the reference and make it do something completely unrelated.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Javaman said:
I've got an extra magistrate's mullet if anyone wants it.

Dibs

Assuming you're not asking for anything in return :D

Also a thought. Would any of the GAF Server regulars be interesting in trying to get a team together for the highlander tournament? I know we probably wouldn't even get picked anyways, but its a fun prospect. Don't expect to win, but I would expect to try and have lots of fun on the way.
If anyone is interested, I call engi

Yeef

Zerokku said:
Dibs

Also a thought. Would any of the GAF Server regulars be interesting in trying to get a team together for the highlander tournament? I know we probably wouldn't even get picked anyways, but its a fun prospect. Don't expect to win, but I would expect to try and have lots of fun on the way.
Depending on the dates and times I'd be interested
I call Pyro

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Finally, I can trade my football hat and the scout batter's hat. SOMEBODY GIVE ME A PYRO HAT NAO.

Blizzard

Banned
Hooray for all games and boards turning into trading places. ;p

It's actually almost annoying to get items ingame now. I believe I have at least double or triple of every single non-hat, non-event item besides the southern hospitality (only one), bonk drink (only one), and crit-a-cola (don't have ANY). I'm convinced Valve has been taunting me over the last months by not letting me craft the crit-a-cola. Yeah, I could probably craft it via some other arcane probabilistic formula but I haven't checked yet.

At any rate, my backpack was 100% full the other day, and if they're going to keep adding items without increasing the backpack size it is going to make things difficult. I have three refined metal if I'm not mistaken, could almost craft a another hat (I have already crafted two pyro hats), and I don't have much space left, AND I am trying to keep duplicates of everything so I can craft the polycount weapons! And this is without even using offline/idle servers to get more items. What to do, what to do! :lol

Boonoo

Blizzard said:
Hooray for all games and boards turning into trading places. ;p

I think if they do a pokemon style trading system it work well. Just stick the trade you want into a database and see if anyone wants it.

Yeef

I'm hoping that the trading interface is much more streamlined than the crafting interface. Unattended trading is a must.

Blizzard said:
Yeah, I could probably craft it via some other arcane probabilistic formula but I haven't checked yet.
Kritskreig + Bonk

At any rate, my backpack was 100% full the other day, and if they're going to keep adding items without increasing the backpack size it is going to make things difficult.
I was thinking the same thing. Hopefully when the pack is actually released they'll double the size and increase the drop frequency a bit. I also really wish they'd add a little check box when sorting the backpack to separate unique items. I generally move all of the doubles (and triples) of weapons to the last page so I know they're free to be used in crafting, but it's annoying having to do it manually every time.

Javaman

Yeef said:
I'm hoping that the trading interface is much more streamlined than the crafting interface. Unattended trading is a must.

Kritskreig + Bonk

I was thinking the same thing. Hopefully when the pack is actually released they'll double the size and increase the drop frequency a bit. I also really wish they'd add a little check box when sorting the backpack to separate unique items. I generally move all of the doubles (and triples) of weapons to the last page so I know they're free to be used in crafting, but it's annoying having to do it manually every time.

I'd just be happy if they split the inventory the same way that it's sorted. It's silly to split the double window in the middle and have sequential items on different windows.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
fallengorn said:
I hope they give us more space. Not going to have as much room for dupes to craft after the Polycount update.
At this point they might as well have a page for each class that sorts items into their respective slots. Then add couple pages of "general" space.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Had a crazy random drop today that consisted of 2 hats and 1 weapon in one go. Safe'n'Sound and the Tyrant's Helm (my god damn 2nd)

Javaman

Zerokku said:
Dibs

Yeah, I'd like to get some kind of hat. I'm not picky though. Cept for bills shine. WTF is that.

moojito

I don't really get the crafting system. Is it a case of combining items to get metal, then combining metal to get.. better metal, then repeating that using up a billion drops then you get a hat?

DogWelder

moojito said:
I don't really get the crafting system. Is it a case of combining items to get metal, then combining metal to get.. better metal, then repeating that using up a billion drops then you get a hat?
Yeah pretty much. You need a minimum of 54 items to get a hat from crafting.

Boonoo

Javaman said:
Yeah, I'd like to get some kind of hat. I'm not picky though. Cept for bills shine. WTF is that.

Bills shine is the best hatless, and better than a good portion of proper hats. He's a bald brother.

Edit: oh wait. Bills shine is the fucking scout hatless. Fuck that thing, i've gotten it 3 times.
I was thinking of the engie's hatless.

speedpop said:
Had a crazy random drop today that consisted of 2 hats and 1 weapon in one go. Safe'n'Sound and the Tyrant's Helm (my god damn 2nd)

You'll have no problem trading away that second Tyrant's Helm, so don't be too disappointed.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Blizzard said:
I only have one Bonk drink, and I haven't got an extra in at least 2-3 months if I'm not mistaken. ;_;
The TF2 wiki has all of the crafting combos. I'm sure you'll find an alternative.

Blizzard

Banned
Jangaroo said:
The TF2 wiki has all of the crafting combos. I'm sure you'll find an alternative.
BUT THAT REQUIRES WORK!

*goes to look*

I feel like if I craft it that way, then I've GIVEN UP, and Valve has won. :lol

Blizzard

Banned
Kuro Madoushi said:
Ok, now you're just difficult or trolling. There's a reason Valve lets you craft whatever. You're too lazy to look it up and do it and then complain?

GAF Server IP: 68.232.178.184:27015
Steam Community group: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/Neogaf-TF2
Well I'm lazy, but I did look it up before posting! Even if I have enough weapons to do it, I feel like I shouldn't have double/triple of every weapon (sans southern hospitality) except the one I want to craft, AND the one needed to make it without using tokens! If I give up and blink first, Valve wins! :mad:

I'll probably see if I can craft it this weekend or something.

Yeef

Blizzard said:
Well I'm lazy, but I did look it up before posting! Even if I have enough weapons to do it, I feel like I shouldn't have double/triple of every weapon (sans southern hospitality) except the one I want to craft, AND the one needed to make it without using tokens! If I give up and blink first, Valve wins! :mad:

I'll probably see if I can craft it this weekend or something.
I've probably gotten more Bonks than any other weapon. It's weird, because it seems like anytime I wanted a weapon (like Bonk or the Gunboats) I'd never get them and just end up crafting them. Then once I crafted them I'd get them through drops CONSTANTLY.

It's some kind of cruel trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom