• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trouble

Banned
Jangaroo said:
Fantastic news, I finally got the third Engie milestone today. Wrangler, hoohah!
I haven't hit the third milestone, but I've had 3 wranglers drop. Just smelted two.

I used an ambassador to craft the southern comfort, since I pretty much never play spy. I got a new ambassador as my next drop after that :p

At my current crafting/drop rate I may have my first hat by the end of the year (not counting the halloween and alien swarm hats). With my luck I'll have the exact same hat drop right after crafting one.

Started making a map again, CTF of course:

5lo4tc.jpg

9rkdg8.jpg

Proven

I've been gone for a while due to Monster Hunter, classes, Monster Hunter, Monster Hunter, and preemptive Monday Night Combat. What I miss?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
They're pretty easy to backstab or shoot in the head if they're not paying attention.

Or, you can get into someone's head, make them change classes if they keep bugging you by going spah and taunting them afterwards.

Javaman

Kuro Madoushi said:
No. King's Bounty killed the GAF server

Javaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa why aren't you on!? >:O

Stupid internet was out last night. Let's get a game going tonight! don't miss it, we're giving away free babies!

Orellio said:
Don't want anyone to actually play it, huh?

Plenty of servers out there running ctf maps 24/7 and are almost always full.

It's a shame valve decided to focus on the PUSH FORWARD AT ALL COSTS type gameplay that invariably ends up as two walls of sentries and ubers smacking against each other instead of the more freeform ctf modes.

Boonoo

Confidence Man said:
Plenty of servers out there running ctf maps 24/7 and are almost always full.

It's a shame valve decided to focus on the PUSH FORWARD AT ALL COSTS type gameplay that invariably ends up as two walls of sentries and ubers smacking against each other instead of the more freeform ctf modes.

But isn't CTF the most likely to end up with 2 walls of sentries? You know, in that CTF is based around to immobile bases that people are trying to break into.

It is a shame, though, that Valve is focusing on the PUSH FORWARD AT ALL COSTS payload maps rather than the more free form 5cp push maps that allow for a fluid back and forth between two teams.

I do like a nice CTF now and then, though, especially when there's only 1 engie allowed.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
How about a ONE flag that runs around. You have to kill it and then take it to your base? Or something?

It's just tiresome having to infiltrate a base as a spy or scout and see 2-3 sentries guarding the intel with both doorways covered. Doublecross alleviates this somewhat, but still hard to win if you have two engies who know what they're doing.

Also, if you use an uber to bust INTO their base...it still leaves you with the sentry guns to deal with. THIS is why I freakin hate CTF maps.

Those CTF maps that are always full, I've been on many and most don't seem to coordinate any attack. Just seems more like Arena tbh.

Proven

Kuro Madoushi said:
How about a ONE flag that runs around. You have to kill it and then take it to your base? Or something?

It's just tiresome having to infiltrate a base as a spy or scout and see 2-3 sentries guarding the intel with both doorways covered. Doublecross alleviates this somewhat, but still hard to win if you have two engies who know what they're doing.

Also, if you use an uber to bust INTO their base...it still leaves you with the sentry guns to deal with. THIS is why I freakin hate CTF maps.

Those CTF maps that are always full, I've been on many and most don't seem to coordinate any attack. Just seems more like Arena tbh.

It's honestly what makes Turbine not a completely terrible CTF map. You bust in to control middle, build uber, can then bust into the main hallway and rush for the intel. If you don't make it all the way, the hallway has enough corners that you can hold there for a short amount of time and build another uber to make the next push. Basically, the attackers have a spot in the enemy's base that they can use to pause, regroup, and build charge. It's the equivalent of taking the second point on a 5cp match.

One problem with 5CPs is trying to keep up a teleporter as an Engineer is virtually impossible. Any tiny change in the current balance (even just a point being threatened) and your tele probably became worthless.

It would be nice if there was a pad outside of every spawn on 5CPs, where if you put a tele entrance, it would automatically move back and forth with your spawn. Then you would just have to worry about destroying and rebuilding your exit.

Kuro Madoushi said:

There's a map I played where the intel was just a generic intel in the middle, touching it meant you had to run it into the enemy base to score. I think if an enemy killed you, they could pick it up, or else it reset to the middle quickly.

Ultimatum

Banned
5cp maps are my favourite, especially when you have some pretty even teams

I finally decided to try tf2lobby. it was really fun, got a good few games in, but I want an actual team to play with D:

firex

Kuro Madoushi said:
They're pretty easy to backstab or shoot in the head if they're not paying attention.

Or, you can get into someone's head, make them change classes if they keep bugging you by going spah and taunting them afterwards.
yeah, but backstabbing requires way more work (and I would say skill and map knowledge) than playing the point and click no credit to team class does. mostly I am just raging because even valve thinks being sniped sucks for the victim, and aside from killing someone (any class can do that so it isn't very unique) what else do snipers really do for a team?

in the end I think the sniper update was a massive failure because it didn't address this issue with the class. they got one good support item with jarate, but it's not like how an eyelander demo can actually play up close and not die as easily or how a soldier's buff banner can easily affect a lot of teammates, because snipers are meant to be hiding in the back instead of up close to jarate people.

although I really would like for them to be the ultimate glass cannon if they're going to remain a source of cheap kills. tables turned like that would make it so good snipers stay sniper and people who play it to whore points change pretty quick.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Okay you know what? I'm just going to delete this tirade of mine and just post this instead to be all amiable. You have no friggin idea how hard it is to be a good sniper and be appreciated for it. Us career snipers have it rough man. We are so credit to team.

10f9lcn.png

Blizzard

Banned
I can't snipe for the life of me. I was randomly getting some headshots a night or two ago, and they were when the cursor was practically an inch away and the player had already moved. And that was with like...40-60 ms ping for both players? :lol I think I may do SLIGHTLY better if I crank mouse sensitivity down for sniper and scout, but then I have to turn it back up to play something like heavy (i.e. constantly doing 180-degree spychecks behind me), so I usually just leave it up.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Kuro Madoushi said:
No. King's Bounty killed the GAF server

Javaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa why aren't you on!? >:O
It takes Starcraft 2 + King's Bounty + Minecraft to take down TF2 just for a few weeks. What a beast.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Jangaroo said:
Okay you know what? I'm just going to delete this tirade of mine and just post this instead to be all amiable. You have no friggin idea how hard it is to be a good sniper and be appreciated for it. Us career snipers have it rough man. We are so credit to team.

10f9lcn.png

It all started on harvest event! <3

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
firex said:
yeah, but backstabbing requires way more work (and I would say skill and map knowledge) than playing the point and click no credit to team class does. mostly I am just raging because even valve thinks being sniped sucks for the victim, and aside from killing someone (any class can do that so it isn't very unique) what else do snipers really do for a team?

in the end I think the sniper update was a massive failure because it didn't address this issue with the class. they got one good support item with jarate, but it's not like how an eyelander demo can actually play up close and not die as easily or how a soldier's buff banner can easily affect a lot of teammates, because snipers are meant to be hiding in the back instead of up close to jarate people.

although I really would like for them to be the ultimate glass cannon if they're going to remain a source of cheap kills. tables turned like that would make it so good snipers stay sniper and people who play it to whore points change pretty quick.

Lucksmen was their intention to 'change the class', but Sniper is just a unique beast. It's not so simple to whore points with Sniper in my opinion. Some maps lend themselves to it, but if you're poor aim, not a good spy check.. then you're probably inferior to opposing snipers.. so good luck with those points. Besides, Sniper is the most vulnerable class, and he'll really only be as good as his team.

'Credit to team' is different from racking up kills.

How often do you see a sniper cap a point? Or push a cart? Or grab a flag?

Hardly ever. They're the least team-focused, the least contributing class.

(Which is not to say they can not be useful.)

firex

I think scout is maybe more vulnerable just by nature of being in close quarters almost all the time, despite being so fast. Or spy because it's so risky, spy checking is so common, and it can easily kill you if you don't use dead ringer.

but like I said, I was just raging because I get annoyed at how sniper kills never feel like there was any degree of fairness to it. It's my most hated class in the game but I know it has a point. I just wish the point wasn't something that feels so cheap regardless of any aiming skill.

edit: also yeah, I hate that snipers aren't really good at anything else (capping objectives, assists, etc.) although they are good at point defense, obviously.

Yeef

Blizzard said:
I can't snipe for the life of me. I was randomly getting some headshots a night or two ago, and they were when the cursor was practically an inch away and the player had already moved. And that was with like...40-60 ms ping for both players? :lol I think I may do SLIGHTLY better if I crank mouse sensitivity down for sniper and scout, but then I have to turn it back up to play something like heavy (i.e. constantly doing 180-degree spychecks behind me), so I usually just leave it up.
Add zoom_sensitivity_ratio to your autoexec.cfg It'll automatically change your sensitivity while scoped based on your normal sensitivity (setting it to 0.5 will make your scope sensitivity half of your default, for example). I found out about that setting a week or so ago and it's really made a big difference in my sniping skills.

It doesn't work for the Huntsman though since it doesn't have a scope.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
perryfarrell said:
'Credit to team' is different from racking up kills.

How often do you see a sniper cap a point? Or push a cart? Or grab a flag?

Hardly ever. They're the least team-focused, the least contributing class.

(Which is not to say they can not be useful.)
I do all of those usually though it kind of depends on the map. You're not going to see me pushing the cart on Goldrush because the smart and sensible thing to do is you know, change into a more useful class. You guys must be playing with shitty snipers. Not to say that I'm great or anything (far from it) but I never knew there were people here who hated snipers. Besides flag maps because the only CTF map I touch is 2fort but we all know snipers only shoot snipers. Point is, good snipers will push the cart, cap the flag (I've done this quite a bit with the sniper on 2fort) and cap a point. You guys are just playing with crappy snipers.

firex

the crappy sniper:good sniper ratio is like 20:1 in my experience. maybe even higher. I've only really played with maybe 2 snipers that do something besides find a spot, hide, and poke their head out to try and headshot people (or fire wildly into crowds with huntsman since that works too well sometimes).

commissar

Lionheart1337 said:
Sniper is the most misused class. Period.
Yep. The assertion that the class is not a credit to team is stupid as it's all down to the player.

That said I was not much credit to team yesterday as I killed no one as heavy. But I sure served up a lot of sandviches :D

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
I think I played too much Minecraft over the weekend. As soon as I started playing last night, I thought my mouse sensitivity was way too high. :\

Boonoo

fallengorn said:
I think I played too much Minecraft over the weekend. As soon as I started playing last night, I thought my mouse sensitivity was way too high. :\

Strange. I have the opposite sensation from playing Minecraft. TF2 felt like I was caught in molasses; I've since started playing Minecraft at 400dpi compared to 1800 in TF2 to keep things more or less the same.

Javaman

fallengorn said:

That's the only reason Hydro won. It let people get their mining fix in TF2.

n0b

esc said:
n0b, you are a wizard in Dustbowl. We lost, but it was a pleasure to play medic to your heavy.
It was fun for me too, I try to reward any medic that trusts me enough to deal with my sometimes suicidal rushes.

Also, sorry to anybody I've raged at recently. Rage is why I had given up TF2 for a month, but it has returned to me quickly.

Javaman

n0b said:
It was fun for me too, I try to reward any medic that trusts me enough to deal with my sometimes suicidal rushes.

Also, sorry to anybody I've raged at recently. Rage is why I had given up TF2 for a month, but it has returned to me quickly.

I don't know why but I've been having a shorter patience threshold lately and find myself getting annoyed with the game more often. I'm not sure why.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom