• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Asobi Clarifies they won’t be making just platformers, have animators from Dreamworks and Pixar working on new projects

No lies detected.

Nothing wrong with this opinion at all I really enjoyed Astro I wanted more when it ended.
Honestly, they could keep doing bigger Astro games or they could even pick up the Jak franchise or as the OP mentions do something outside of platforming.

If anything i think they will be one of the longest lasting small studios along with haven and media molecule. They fulfill a niche that other sony studios don’t and Hermen Hulst has been on record saying their goal with the first party studios is to increase diversity of games.

Team Asobi stressed the fact that they have a third of the studio dedicated to R&D and doing new experimental stuff. I wouldn’t be surprised if Media Molecule and Pixelopus are the same even though we haven’t heard much from the latter in a few years.

I sure hope they are committed to diversity, because nearly all of Sony’s games are following the big budget “safe” formula. Last of Us, Horizon, Uncharted, God of War. I’d much rather see more Astro Bot, Returnal, Gravity Rush, Ape Escape, Legend of Dragoon, etc.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Jokes apart, I'm really excited for Team Asobi. Their games are just pure fun, much like HouseMarque's. I hope they grow rapidly, find amazing critical and commercial success at every turn, start tackling multiple projects, and give us fantastic games every or every other year.

I sure hope they are committed to diversity, because nearly all of Sony’s games are following the big budget “safe” formula. Last of Us, Horizon, Uncharted, God of War. I’d much rather see more Astro Bot, Returnal, Gravity Rush, Ape Escape, Legend of Dragoon, etc.

Thats what nintendo is for

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
  • Gran Turismo
  • Demon Soul's
  • Returnal
  • Sackboy
  • Destruction All Stars
  • Persistence
  • Dreams
  • Astrobot
  • Death Stranding
  • Concrete Genie
For every PS game with a "safe formula," we also get twice the number of experimental or "unsafe" games from PlayStation.

This actually makes a ton of sense for Asobi, especially if it comes to PC as well. Might even be an option for Sony for GaaS.
Sony don't need another "PC game". They need more PS5 exclusives (at least one) tailored for that console. For now they have only 3 (and and half) after 2 years in the market.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Sony is really the only ones making big budget non-japanese single player games outside of rockstar and the latter is pretty much regulated to GTA and RDR for the rest of time.
Crickets Reaction GIF

Top Bottom