• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TCL CES 2021 sneak peak

additional_0.jpg

additional_1.jpg

additional_2.jpg

All this is brought to you by Display Specifications.

TCL calls this the OD Zero Mini-LED. The "OD" stands for optical distance. The mini-LEDs themselves seem to be smaller thus allowing for thousands of zones of dimming. Not to mention an increase in brightness due to the mini-LEDs touching (from the looks of it) the diffuser plate. As a side note I'm curious to know if this is similar to what Samsung is doing. All this should, in theory, allow for greater focus of light and less blooming as a result. TCL seems to have continued their Vidrian technology despite not releasing it last year. I expect many of the traditional LCD layers to be fused into one sheet of glass substrate as Vidrian showcased. I would imagine a new image processor too but we'll have to wait and see.

Anyone else looking forward to what TCL is bringing to the table? A bit disappointed in Sony's LCD showing. TCL has the opportunity to knock it out of the park with this. Their new lineup could be the price to performance king. Hopefully their quality/reliability will improve too with the introduction of this new tech.

Last edited:

Rikkori

post here; been busy recently but will do full update after all ces info is out

TCL needs to fix their abhorrent quality control to be taken seriously beyond anything other than a budget brand. Particularly the issues with horrible dse and banding. Tighten that nonsense up and I can start taking them more seriously, which I would really like to do. They punch above their weight in many ways.

TCL needs to fix their abhorrent quality control to be taken seriously beyond anything other than a budget brand. Particularly the issues with horrible dse and banding. Tighten that nonsense up and I can start taking them more seriously, which I would really like to do. They punch above their weight in many ways.
Agreed. There's lots of quality control issues. Core changes to how their LCDs are made will be shown off on Monday. Some of this we already know based on what they showed off last year with Vidrian. Hopefully whatever else they've done will end many gremlins that plague their sets.

Bad quality control is why they can stay a budget brand. It keeps their prices low because people are surprised by what they get for the price.
I remain skeptical but hopeful. They're poised to really strike the higher-end brands if they can get that stuff under control. Lots of changes to how they construct their panels will come with this new tech, so hopefully it will eliminate some issues.

Top Bottom