• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Taylor Swift: Shake It Off (Album: 1989, Releasing 28th October)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mononoke

Banned
Drip drip?

I don't see where the drip drip happened :(

It's pretty bad quality. It cuts off at 16 kHz which means it's 128 kbps CBR. (Unless I'm wrong, I just saw it at a glance). But when you have music that relies on electronic and bass, it's pretty awful to listen to something at that low of quality. I've only heard the album once, but it didn't sound too hot on my headphones. I know it's really hard for fans to hold off on music coming out. But I seriously recommend waiting for a better quality rip (or the release) if you really want to hear this. But I guess that's up to the individual.

Oozer3993

[Tongue-in-cheek rant]128kbps WMA? Seriously? Who does that? What is this, 1997? And the tracks aren't even labeled! I refuse to listen just on principle. My ears deserve better than this.[/Tongue-in-cheek rant]

Mononoke

Banned
[Tongue-in-cheek rant]128kbps WMA? Seriously? Who does that? What is this, 1997? And the tracks aren't even labeled! I refuse to listen just on principle. My ears deserve better than this.[/Tongue-in-cheek rant]

It's awful quality too! Pretty bad leak all around tbh lol You will see a flood of fake "320" rips today, and they will just be transcodes of this 128 (so they will sound even worse then the original 128). Low quality leaks are always the worst, because there is always people out there that purposely transcode, or don't know what they are doing. I'm not complaining though, this is free. I've already paid for my copy, so I'll get it full quality eventually (even if it ends up being on release date).

MoodyFog

Big fan of her ass and legs.

image.php

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Blank Space, Style, Out of The Woods, and All You Had To Do are all top tier on the first listen
the other ones need more time to grow

Gawge

Amazing album.

Blank Space and Clean!!! Serious 10/10 songs there.

Not a bad song on there though. Out of the Woods and Shake it Off feel excellently placed too, already being big faves of mine.

Mononoke

Banned
Amazing album.

Not a bad song on there though. Out of the Woods and Shake it Off feel excellently placed too, already being big faves of mine.

There are only a couple spots, where I'm still trying to get my head around (some of the slower parts). But I feel pretty confident in saying this is indeed a very good album. I can't believe how good Clean is. Blank Space is incredible. There are a handful of tracks that I absolutely love. I'm not apart of Pop GAF, so I didn't know there was a Swift thread. But it's cool seeing other people love her music.

EDIT: for me, it's Bad Blood, Wildest Dreams, How You Get the Girl, that I'm not 100% on. I love tracks 1-7. 11-13 too. I'm not saying those songs are bad, just not 100% with them yet. I am finding though, the more I listen, the more rewarding some of these other songs are. I really am coming to like I Know Places quite a lot.

Gawge

There are only a couple spots, where I'm still trying to get my head around (some of the slower parts). But I feel pretty confident in saying this is indeed a very good album. I can't believe how good Clean is. Blank Space is incredible. There are a handful of tracks that I absolutely love. I'm not apart of Pop GAF, so I didn't know there was a Swift thread. But it's cool seeing other people love her music.

EDIT: for me, it's Bad Blood, Wildest Dreams, How You Get the Girl, that I'm not 100% on. I love tracks 1-7. 11-13 too. I'm not saying those songs are bad, just not 100% with them yet. I am finding though, the more I listen, the more rewarding some of these other songs are. I really am coming to like I Know Places quite a lot.

When you said "a couple of spots", How You Get the Girl came to my mind as a suggestion, but then it's right there in the edit. I just listened to it on it's own, and it is in no way a bad track. As for Bad Blood + Wildest Dreams, on my 2nd/3rd listens to the album, I did go into those tracks thinking "oh, we're in this patch", but then the songs come around and you get into them - probably just mild middle-album fatigue when power-listening?

But yeah, at the moment, thinking HYGtG might be a weaker one on the album, BUT that's not to say it's bad - it's still at least a 6/10 track.

I'm not part of Pop GAF either, and was unaware of a Swift thread. It's great how many people like her though.

Mononoke

Banned
When you said "a couple of spots", How You Get the Girl came to my mind as a suggestion, but then it's right there in the edit. I just listened to it on it's own, and it is in no way a bad track. As for Bad Blood + Wildest Dreams, on my 2nd/3rd listens to the album, I did go into those tracks thinking "oh, we're in this patch", but then the songs come around and you get into them - probably just mild middle-album fatigue when power-listening?

But yeah, at the moment, thinking HYGtG might be a weaker one on the album, BUT that's not to say it's bad - it's still at least a 6/10 track.

I'm not part of Pop GAF either, and was unaware of a Swift thread. It's great how many people like her though.

Yeah. I'm not sure if I think any song is bad per se. It's just, some parts I'm not sure if the flow works. But that could definitely change with more listens. I will say this, I think this album has A LOT of tracks I am loving. So I am pretty certain that this will be one of my favorite records this year (and that in general, it's a very good outing for Swift). It just depends after more listens, where I kind of land on the album as a whole.

But I'm really happy with this album (especially some of these tracks I love). And yeah, I'm into a lot of music. I listen to shit like Radiohead. No shame in loving Swift. :D

RoKKeR

Amazing album.

I haven't heard the album in full yet but I've heard New York and, well...

...already have to disagree.

I have finally gotten Out of the Woods, though. Very neat song.

kurona_bright

Neo Member
Going through my second listen right now. Haven't tried the bonus tracks yet, but the songwriting memos were really cool.

First things first: I was worried about repetitive choruses while listening to the earlier songs released. The rest of the album made it clear that it's not a huge problem. Style's chorus is pretty cool in my opinion. :)

Blank Space is awesome. "Darling, I'm a nightmare dressed like a daydream."

I Know Places is actually surprisingly dark for her. 'vultures circling around' ; 'they're the hunters, we're the foxes' are pretty interesting lines.

Bad Blood is pretty different from the rest of the songs, I think. And 'Wildest Dreams' is pretty much more suggestive than anything she's ever written. Some of the lines made me do a double-take, lol.

Either way, album is awesome. (Also, people who pop in just to say stuff like 'I'm a big fan of her ass and legs' are gross. This thread's for talking about the album and the songs, not about what about her gets you horny.)

Mononoke

Banned
I haven't heard the album in full yet but I've heard New York and, well...

...already have to disagree.

I have finally gotten Out of the Woods, though. Very neat song.

I really like New York. It's a very simplistic/formulaic pop song. SO I guess one could call it bad. But I love the melody. Makes me happy. :)

rtcn63

I hope she drops an all-acoustic version. Her voice is unique, tragic, wonderfully addictive like a good morning latte, why mask it with late night television static?

Peru

I hope she drops an all-acoustic version. Her voice is unique, tragic, wonderfully addictive like a good morning latte, why mask it with late night television static?

The voice memo notes are interesting in that she plays her sketch-like ideas acoustically so we get to hear what that could be like . To be honest, yes I still wish it was-singer songwriterly to the max, all simple production - but I have to admit that in spite of my best scepticism she actually pulled off this album, this experiment, and in some ways 1989 is stronger than Red because of its coherence and focus. Except the awful Shake it Off, and I'm getting used to misleading singles, she's managed to make songs that still sound all the way her and several of them among her best, and the producers add some atmosphere and edge but haven't meddled with her craft. I still think she could do the same with a straight acoustic sound though... but for now I'm mostly relieved that this album works as well as it does.

Mononoke

Banned

I'm a sucker for cheap pop, so I really like it. But as someone that really loves music (even technical stuff), I can always see the criticism of some of the production. I would agree, that some of these songs would be technically better with acoustic/or other arrangements then the production some of these tracks are.

I dunno. I can see it from both sides I suppose. I do like singer/songwriter stuff more. So I can definitely understand where you are coming from.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
This album. Yes. I'm doing everything I can to not download a leak and wait for Tuesday, but damn. The snippets and what has been officially released. I know I'm going to be obsessed with "Style."

Shadow780

I really liked every photograph in her Red album, not a fan of her songs but that album from design to fashion is just great.

InfernoNR

If all of her albums are "break up" albums, I think this is an album about her breaking up with her sound.
I mean this in a positive way.

Oozer3993

This album. Yes. I'm doing everything I can to not download a leak and wait for Tuesday, but damn. The snippets and what has been officially released. I know I'm going to be obsessed with "Style."

This. I haven't listened to the leak (beyond a little of Welcome to New York just to judge it's quality), but that snippet of Style from the Target commercial is one hell of a temptress. I don't know if I'll last the weekend.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
I really liked every photograph in her Red album, not a fan of her songs but that album from design to fashion is just great.
That entire era was flawless. Aside from "Stay Stay Stay" which she should remove from future album pressings and pretend never happened.

Tuck

Its solid.

Blank Space is fantastic. All you had to do was stay and style are great. Welcome to new York is fun*. Shake it off is catchy.

But, the album has the same failings as all her others. It feels like she is rewriting the same song ten times. They sound different, but they are the same song. Its too bad because she is a talented song writer, but she refuses to branch out her subject matter. I liked Shake ti off and welcome to new york specifically because they are so different in content.

*I agree with Azula - the chorus makes me happy. The song just has this great sense of wonder to it.

rtcn63

Shake It Off grows on you, liked it more than Never Ever by a long shot. Out of the Woods is probably the worst I've heard so far. Soulless. Empty. Not enjoyable to listen.

kurona_bright

Neo Member
This and WtNY sound they like they were written by Katy Perry's interns onto scantron forms.

Welcome to New York is very repetitive, but I find myself giving Out of the Woods a pass mostly because I love all the background vocal stuff she does behind the chorus. Also because it sounds like Bleachers and I loved Strange Desire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom