• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Talk up a game you haven't spoken about in 10, 20 years.

Tschumi

Great games are pretty well known, good games that had something magic about them exist too.

Lords of the Realm 2. An awesome game on the school computers of my youth, a kind of economic sim-cum-medieval citystate management/combat game, it was certainly far cooler than Oregon Trail.

Majesty. Another great RTS, it had a really fascinating spin on RTS gameplay - you didn't directly control anyone, you just motivated them with bounties and they fed the money they made back into your economic buildings, which you taxed for income... It's sequel is a fantastic game in its own right that i heartily recommend.

Claw. Sidescroller about a pirate captain mouse named Captain Claw, i think, it had great music and pretty cool level design, for a kid.. i only played the demo, but it was plenty challenging for me! Came on my Pentium 2 along with the Diablo 1 and Age of Empires demos.

Disney's Tarzan. Another sidescroller, 2.5D... this had wonderful atmosphere.. all the sounds of a jungle, great music, lots of fun enemies, secrets.. hidden passages done really interestingly.. a really well done licensed game.

Rollercoaster Tycoon 1. This is actually what i remember the US being like in the 90s (probably because i didn't most of my time there in Vermont), green evergreen trees, wood panelled hamburger shops, mountain country theme parks.

Encyclopaedia Britannica Mind Maze.
The encyclopaedia Britannica program on my windows 98 computer was really cool, had heaps of really interesting animated entries and minigames about things like landing on the moon.. and a really cool mediaeval maze quiz game that used some really cool artwork.

WTF my dude, I was just thinking about making a retro gaming thread.

I can think of Age of Wonders, a HoM&M-like which is pretty similar but has some cool unique things, like being able to explore caves and dungeons that are on the map, or starting a battle with multiple units at once.

Also it might not be as pretty as HoM&M3, but I still think it has age well and it's still pleasant to the eye.

AoW1-2b.png

PD: OP gets extra points for posting a Seth review. My fav youtuber by far, his reviews have a lot of comedy but also does a great job on explaining the game.

Rayderism

All those old "Gold Box" D&D games on the C64. (I think I played every one they made for C64) Went through so much graph paper mapping out the dungeons on those games back then. Not to mention the incredibly useful, thick and colorful instruction manuals that explained everything you needed to play them in great detail.

first game that came to mind was Digimon World (PS1). i still have a copy that i sometimes load up on my PS2. i wasn't any good at it but my friend was so i'd sit and watch him play it.

iu

Great games are pretty well known, good games that had something magic about them exist too.

Lords of the Realm 2. An awesome game on the school computers of my youth, a kind of economic sim-cum-medieval citystate management/combat game, it was certainly far cooler than Oregon Trail.

Majesty. Another great RTS, it had a really fascinating spin on RTS gameplay - you didn't directly control anyone, you just motivated them with bounties and they fed the money they made back into your economic buildings, which you taxed for income... It's sequel is a fantastic game in its own right that i heartily recommend.

Claw. Sidescroller about a pirate captain mouse named Captain Claw, i think, it had great music and pretty cool level design, for a kid.. i only played the demo, but it was plenty challenging for me! Came on my Pentium 2 along with the Diablo 1 and Age of Empires demos.

Disney's Tarzan. Another sidescroller, 2.5D... this had wonderful atmosphere.. all the sounds of a jungle, great music, lots of fun enemies, secrets.. hidden passages done really interestingly.. a really well done licensed game.

Rollercoaster Tycoon 1. This is actually what i remember the US being like in the 90s (probably because i didn't most of my time there in Vermont), green evergreen trees, wood panelled hamburger shops, mountain country theme parks.

Encyclopaedia Britannica Mind Maze.
The encyclopaedia Britannica program on my windows 98 computer was really cool, had heaps of really interesting animated entries and minigames about things like landing on the moon.. and a really cool mediaeval maze quiz game that used some really cool artwork.

holy shit Rollercoaster Tycoon brings back so many memories. Nearly every day after school I'd go to my friends house and we'd play that on his dads PC. other games we played were Command & Conquer Red Alert (1+2) and Grand Theft Auto (1+2).

tkscz

Tomba%21_NTSC.png

Tomba still holds up as my favorite Playstation game. Imagine a Maze-like (Metroidvania) with a mission structure for progression instead of items and fantastic platforming and you get this game. Fast paced and gets faster as you go, fun bosses, plenty of exploration, fast travel system helps with back tracking and plenty of side quest to do. It's such a fun little game. And while the story and characters are simple, it always gave me that feeling of old school adventure animes like OG Dragon Ball. The combat of jumping on things and throwing them fits perfectly with the speed the player moves at. Only problem I have with it is 100 percenting the game doesn't get you anything. Just a message telling you that you completed all missions. Still I go back and play this game and 100% it knowing it will yield nothing, and this is tricky as some missions get locked if you don't complete them before others.

Aion002

Ehrgeiz

Ps1/Arcade fighting game that has Cloud, Tifa and Sephirot from FFVII among the playable characters.

The gameplay is not good, but it is fun, specially if you enjoy FFVII. Other than the main fighting mode, the game also has an beat-em-up mode, which, if I am not mistaken, can be quite challenging.

Damn... It's been a long time since I last played this game... I wonder if I still have it...

Overall, it's not even close to Tekken 3 quality... But I like it.

Cattlyst

Project Snowblind was a favourite of mine back on the original Xbox. Don’t think I’ve thought about that game since I finished it in…2004? 2005? Either way, its a good story driven FPS.

Kuranghi

Powerstone 1 and 2, a game thats like smash bros with more a less a moving camera with interactive levels, not only did it have great items but the levels were also top notch

+1

Codename Eagle, proto-open world game WW2 game where you can pilot cars, planes and boats in huge (for the time) open levels that have scripting that triggers as you move around it, had such fun back in the day with it:

Last edited:
Top Bottom