• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Berseria |OT| The Band of the Crowe

Philippo

The credits are rolling at this very moment.

Good game but this was by far the worst Xillia-style gameplay iteration ever. Normal was piss easy (and Hard was the same just with more HP), the areas were even bigger and formulaic than usual and the battle system was way too Button-smashy. It was just a slog to play. I downed it to easy in the final dungeon and just set it to auto play.

However I will say that the cast is great without any resemblance of a black sheep. They were all well done and interesting. The story was okay and way more focused than past entries. There were clear goals and objectives unlike in previous games where things just...happen.

Velvet is also a good main imo. I felt that her motivation was well established and her attitude was justified. I expected ridiculous amounts of edge but they were nowhere to be found. Just a nice girl that was turned into a bitter tragic person. I really liked what they did with her.
The ending was especially well done although I hoped for a happier ending for Velvet ;(

However they really change the formula for the next title asap. As good as these characters were, they just barely carried the game for me. I can't stomach another round of 'plz enjoy these empty fields'

Well the next one should be current-gen only, let's hope that alone is enough of a motivation to switch to a modern engine.

Hikami

Just got the hover board.. man, I was so hyped for this thing from seeing it in trailers but it controls so awkwardly. Can't even adjust the camera while using it, both sticks are used for steering for whatever reason.

Better than wind step at least.

Ventara

Just got the hover board.. man, I was so hyped for this thing from seeing it in trailers but it controls so awkwardly. Can't even adjust the camera while using it, both sticks are used for steering for whatever reason.

Better than wind step at least.

Yeah, it was definitely awkward at first, but you'll grow to love it. It was pretty awesome surfing on it in the last dungeon in particular. Wish they had introduced it a bit earlier.

Hikami

Credits are rolling, whew.

Love this cast of characters. There's usually like one or two I dislike in Tales games (usually the obligatory child characters) but they were all great this time.

I was pretty meh on everything beside the characters though. There's no way they stick with the PS3 still for the next game right..? I imagine dropping that would solve some problems. Also just move on to UE4 or something already.

Just have to mention my favorite scene -
where Velvet goes insane and Laphicet saves her. Reminds me of a similar scene in Xillia which I also really liked.
--

I know I missed a bunch of side quests and stuff so I'd like to replay it eventually. Especially since I only really played with Velvet, Rokurou, and Eizen.
Probably won't happen though. I said I'd do the same with the future arc of Graces but I ended up selling my PS3 before I could.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I was pretty meh on everything beside the characters though. There's no way they stick with the PS3 still for the next game right..? I imagine dropping that would solve some problems. Also just move on to UE4 or something already.

They mentioned this was the last Tales of Game on PS3 and that they are moving to a new engine as well. This should be interesting to watch as they can show if the limitations we constantly said they had was engine wise or just that was the way they work. Also wonder if they will change to another artstyle.

Hikami

They mentioned this was the last Tales of Game on PS3 and that they are moving to a new engine as well. This should be interesting to watch as they can show if the limitations we constantly said they had was engine wise or just that was the way they work. Also wonder if they will change to another artstyle.
Good to know, looking forward to this year's Tales of Festival then.

kewlmyc

Honestly, I hope we don't get a new game announcement this year. A port like Symphonia Chronicles, sure, but not a whole new game. I want them to take their time with the series and hopefully produce something fantastic in the down time. Maybe an announcement next year with a release in 2019.

Cornbread78

Honestly, I hope we don't get a new game announcement this year. A port like Symphonia Chronicles, sure, but not a whole new game. I want them to take their time with the series and hopefully produce something fantastic in the down time. Maybe an announcement next year with a release in 2019.

No.

Give me Vesperia PS4!

Vazra

I realistically speaking expect a very vague teaser trailer, a port and a mobile game. I would cackle if the port is Tales of Graces F or Tales of Xillia Duology and them ignoring Vesperia.

kewlmyc

I realistically speaking expect a very vague teaser trailer, a port and a mobile game. I would cackle if the port is Tales of Graces F or Tales of Xillia Duology and them ignoring Vesperia.

It's the 10th anniversary coming up, so yeah, that would suck. A lot.

It's also the 20th anniversary of Tales of Destiny soon too. I wouldn't mind a port of Destiny R and 2. In fact, I'd prefer that.

Vazra

It's the 10th anniversary coming up, so yeah, that would suck. A lot.

It's also the 20th anniversary of Tales of Destiny soon too. I wouldn't mind a port of Destiny R and 2. In fact, I'd prefer that.

Oh I'd love ports of the Destiny games. Those haven't had enough love with the ports.
Gimme steam ports

Rpgmonkey

Assuming its handled similarly to Zestiria and Berseria, even if they announce the next game in June it's still going to be 14+ months away and more about getting the initial reveal out to fans than the actual start of the pre-release marketing run.

I wouldn't be too surprised if nothing else is in production this year since the next game isn't going to be a routine release on familiar platforms and likely not on a familiar engine either. Not sure if they'll want to divert internal staff or a development partner like tri-Crescendo towards spending 6-12 months on a port when they could have them more focused on the bigger obstacles in front of them right now.

Cornbread78

Boo. I'd take a next gen port for the next game to give them extra time to build a new game on current platforms.

Shahed

I'm really liking this game so far. I mean part of that might be because I skipped on Zestiria, and I didn't realise until my brother told me, but this is the first old school (PS1/2 style) JRPG I've played on PS4. Well except Star Ocean 5 which was shit. Maybe I've just missed it due to time away but it's quite enjoyable

I like the more personal nature of the story. Sure it may devolve into it later, but for now it isn't about the typical save the world stuff. The overall story is a means to an end, but it's the cast who are what matters and I actually like them overall a lot more than I have done in ages. Even the token kid character is likeable, and it's only Magilou that's annoying. Velvet can be a bit edgy at times and her default outfit is horrific nonsense (I switched to her Village instantly), but I like her as well. The overall narrative feels more driven and focused which is nice. It helps that they took it ease and toned down a lot of the anime and Tales stereotypes. Well the more annoying ones anyway. I've yet tobsee someone in their 20's called an old man

tjlee2

Neo Member
Finished the game yesterday (story-wise). Still need to do post game stuff.

I really enjoyed the game. I liked it as much as Abyss, which was my favorite tales game. I enjoyed the characters and combat system (which really should be played at Chaos difficulty for a proper experience) the most. The story was fairly standard but very well executed. Many things were made fairly obvious but still had a good impact, which is not easy to do and speaks well to how the scenes were constructed. Skits are thoroughly enjoyable and benefited greatly with full body sprites. I'm happy they used skits and let the characters carry the game instead of trying to get too cute with plot devices.

Villains were not as interesting due to lack of screen time is the primary problem for me personally, especially when compared to Abyss. No other really major complaints. Very solid game and was happy I didn't pass on this one like I did with xillia 2 and zestiria.

RPGCrazied

Got this today. Now that I'm finished with P5 I can get to it. Really hope the equipment system is better then Zestiria, that is what turned me off of that game.

Cornbread78

Got this today. Now that I'm finished with P5 I can get to it. Really hope the equipment system is better then Zestiria, that is what turned me off of that game.

Much easier to manage, but the game is balanced enough that you really don't need to go overboard worrying about maxing out the upgrades.

RPGCrazied

Much easier to manage, but the game is balanced enough that you really don't need to go overboard worrying about maxing out the upgrades.

Seems so far. Do you keep the stuff you learn on equipment even after removing it?

Also do the ! on the field just voice over text?

I thought those were side quests.

Lol at the sword user, I was like awesome, but he uses daggers.

ajim

Enjoying it so far, but i don't feel it is as good as Zesteria which is my favorite tales game in a long time. That cast was so much better.

Ventara

Just got my play last night at about 200 hours (though I wouldn't be surprised if 40 of those was just idling). I was taking my sweet time, so it's not a plat benchmark or anything. Anyways, here are some of my thoughts on the game.

Positives

-the characters were all amazing and grew to like them all. They're not your stereotypical one-dimensional characters either. They have depth to them. They have their good and bad moments, and they bring tons of personality to the story
-it's hard to separate the characters from the story, but I thought the story was pretty good. Not too convoluted or too simple and interesting enough for me to want to see what happens next
-full voiced skits, and a lot of them. And all the skits ranged from hilarious to interesting
-the music was nice. I've read some comments about how it was bad, and I can't agrre with that. My favourite tracks were True Will and Eizen's Theme
-designs were nice, from the main characters to the monsters/enemies. There were lots of palette swaps for enemies, but there were enough enemy varieties that I didn't mind it
-all the characters had a unique way of playing them, and although it felt easier to just use Velvet to plow through everything, it was nice to be able to switch things up and play a different style with someone else
-the geoboard. Traveling around on it was so much more enjoyable than running around the barren overworld. They should've introduced it earlier
-equipment skills. I like that there were benefits to trying out different gear, and managing my gear between all 6 of my characters was fun
-good side-quests and end-game content. They fleshed out characters and the world, and were fun to do

Negatives

-the overworld. Easily the worst aspect of the game, and it's a big part of the game. Thankfully, it gets better in the latter half. The first half of the game had a few areas that were too big and empty for their own good. They really should have cut those parts out/shortened them
-the dungeons in this game were far too simple and were almost as bad as the outside overworld. things never got past flipping a switch to proceed, and said switches were almost always right beside the door, lol

Other thoughts

-I did feel the combat was a little too complicated for it's own good. It really could've been simplified. Also, souls being needed for all attacks kinda hindered things, and it felt more like a gimped action game. Combat was still decent overall and fun when you got the hang of things, but definitely could've been better
-I wish the game did something more with the whole pirates theme. Maybe like actually be able to sail the seas and encounter stuff. All things considered, it didn't matter if it was a pirates ship or an airship or just straight up teleportation. There was the whole map exploration thing, which was nice.
-Alchemy. It felt like it would show up in the game, but nope. Felt like a missed opportunity. Though, I suppose items rarely ever felt needed in the game
-
I wish Velvet and Rokurou hooked up at the end. Oh, and the end was kinda gross with Innominat endlessly chewing on Velvet and Velvet sucking back the malevolence with her arm
-maybe I'm crazy here, but I really think this game could benefit from learning a thing or 2 from Breath of the Wild. A more diverse, 3-dimensional open overworld would make traversing it more interesting, and it really needs better dungeons

Anyways, I really enjoyed my time with the game once things got going. It was just okay at the begiining with the bad overworld and not having acquired all the characters yet, but things picked up pretty well. Overall, I'd give this game an 8/10.

This finally came in. Koto US is slow
FiqbOK3.jpg
Figure is excellent though. Real step up from every other Koto figure I have

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
good game, thoroughly enjoyed my time with it. of course dungeons are still a sad joke, I wasn't entirely behind Velvet's motives and story wasn't that layered, Symphonia simply dwarfes it in comparison, but still, if you like Tales games this one's a nice entry

Rokurou the best anyway

Bought this game this week along with P5. Obviously, P5 is my focus right now but when I eventually get to Berseria I hope it is good. I need a game that flows back into what Tales really is, similar to Symphonia. I'm kind of wondering though... since I haven't ever started Zestiria hearing this one is so much better. Since they're related, which do I play first? Thanks in advance for the help.

Giolon

Bought this game this week along with P5. Obviously, P5 is my focus right now but when I eventually get to Berseria I hope it is good. I need a game that flows back into what Tales really is, similar to Symphonia. I'm kind of wondering though... since I haven't ever started Zestiria hearing this one is so much better. Since they're related, which do I play first? Thanks in advance for the help.

Play Berseria first. It's a better game. Better story, better characters, better gameplay. Berseria's strong enough to stand on its own as one of the best Tales games out there.

If you like Berseria a lot and are curious to see how the world turns out 1000 years later, consider playing Zestiria. It's is a more flawed experience, but the characters are good, if more traditional. I felt like Zestiria's story was buoyed more by it connections to the events of Berseria than vice versa, and those connections help elevate what is otherwise a fairly straightforward good vs evil story.

Play Berseria first. It's a better game. Better story, better characters, better gameplay. Berseria's strong enough to stand on its own as one of the best Tales games out there.

If you like Berseria a lot and are curious to see how the world turns out 1000 years later, consider playing Zestiria. It's is a more flawed experience, but the characters are good, if more traditional. I felt like Zestiria's story was buoyed more by it connections to the events of Berseria than vice versa, and those connections help elevate what is otherwise a fairly straightforward good vs evil story.

I'm really liking the sound of this, thanks. I've been waiting for a Tales that can bring me back.

I'm feeling this game so far. The story went from 0-100 real quick at the beginning though xD

Right now I just arrived to the capital and Velvet sees Artorius for the first time in three years, and I'm doing the missions for the Shadow Gulid.

I wish I can take screenshots of Velvet in her Water Normin Outfit the Katz give you after playing the first round of their games... but it won't let me. I wore that outfit as I was entering the capital and I got stopped for inspection, that whole scene was hysterical with it on... like I'm not looking hella suspicious xD

The credits are rolling at this very moment.

Good game but this was by far the worst Xillia-style gameplay iteration ever. Normal was piss easy (and Hard was the same just with more HP), the areas were even bigger and formulaic than usual and the battle system was way too Button-smashy. It was just a slog to play. I downed it to easy in the final dungeon and just set it to auto play.

'

And here I was hoping the combat would pick up... : <
I'm even dodging the various monsters because there's no challenge and I don't find it engaging.
I preferred the battle system of Zestiria at the moment, here is "make a weakness chain on one button, press it"

RPGCrazied

Having a decent time. But I'm not getting this is better then Vesperia. I saw some people say that about this Tales. Not even close. I like Zestiria's characters more, except the skill system. But I like the battle system more in this Tales of. 20 hours in I'd probably give this one a 7.

Biggest compliant so far is the dungeons, very bland.

CEJames

Having a decent time. But I'm not getting this is better then Vesperia. I saw some people say that about this Tales. Not even close. I like Zestiria's characters more, except the skill system. But I like the battle system more in this Tales of. 20 hours in I'd probably give this one a 7.

Biggest compliant so far is the dungeons, very bland.

Yeah, both Zesteria(aside from the main elemental ones) & Beseria's dungeons were very bland and weak. Absolutely no music in them either which bored me to tears. I had to turn on my own music while traversing them.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Yeah, both Zesteria(aside from the main elemental ones) & Beseria's dungeons were very bland and weak. Absolutely no music in them either which bored me to tears. I had to turn on my own music while traversing them.

Technically wrong but I know what you mean.

Acrylic7

The user interface in the menus is awful. Scrolling text for super short descriptions, yet the screen has a bunch of space and can clearly display more.

Maxinas

The game is currently $16.66 at Fry's in-store pickup only: http://www.frys.com/product/9064487

Some stores do price match, best buy for example, so try them if there aren't any Fry's nearby.

It's an amazing price for a game that only just released, and probably won't reach that price until the holidays or even later for that matter; + it's a physical copy.

I like the story thus far. Though some of these cameos are really reminding me to finish Zestiria, I think I stopped at the water dungeon/trial and wanted no more of that game.

RPGCrazied

What happened to the anime cutscenes? I've only seen a couple, and they stopped. I'm like 36 hours in now. Is there a few at the end or what?

I finally whooped Artorius bitch ass last night and beat the game.

I liked it. Now I restarted Zestiria to see how much i can connect since I never finished that game.

Cornbread78

I finally whooped Artorius bitch ass last night and beat the game.

I liked it. Now I restarted Zestiria to see how much i can connect since I never finished that game.

The final scene reveals the biggest one. I almost want to go back and play it just to hear about all that lore again..

ajim

Wow. I just finished this game. Man. THis game. I was a big fan of Zestiria despite its short comings, and I loved the cast there. But playing this game blew me away, Velvet is amazing!! The voice actor portraying her aggression did a fantastic job, her shrieks and cries were intense!

This game also made Tales of Zestiria better with all the little connections and backstories too.

Sp. Damn. Awesome.

I have a feeling that you will change your tune by the end of it all.

You were right! *high five*

Top Bottom