• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Berseria |OT| The Band of the Crowe

dreamfall

Absolutely beautiful OT! Want to go in on PC but maybe after Yakuza 0. Really excited to read impressions, loved what I played of Zestiria. The Tales series always makes me happy!

silva1991

Saw cons from gamespot on visuals.

How does it look to everyone? From the screens I quickly saw looked fairly vibrant. Maybe not mind blowing but decent.

I played the demo on PS4 and thought it looked ugly. Vesperia is the last good looking Tales games still.

Shouta

I literally just finished Zestiria last night after 60 grueling hours.

That game just refused to end, with so much forced padding that it made the WW triforce hunt feel breezy. My interest and motivation nosedived hard in the back third as the story also went completely off the rails and became a confusing, illogical mess doing whatever it can to attempt an explanation to what is happening. My desire to engage with the muddled skill system and even character skits checked out long before the conclusion. All interest was lost as I just wanted to get my completion trophy and delete. Shame as I quite liked the game early on too, but Zestiria really did turn out to be my least favorite Tales game on the franchise(of those played). It's a mess and GAF was right.

That said, I am ready to jump into Berseria! Thought I would burnout playing both back to back, but I really am looking forward to a good Tales game especially now.

Berseria is gonna magnify those feelings towards Zestiria, lol.

8.8 is a really strong score from IGN. 7 from Gamespot sounds like the norm for media outlets here.

How does it look to everyone? From the screens I quickly saw looked fairly vibrant. Maybe not mind blowing but decent.

I played the demo on Ps4 and they looked fine. But I'm fairly lenient with visuals, as long as I'm have a good time, I really don't notice anything. Unless of course it blatant.

That game just refused to end, with so much forced padding that it made the WW triforce hunt feel breezy. My interest and motivation nosedived hard in the back third as the story also went completely off the rails and became a confusing, illogical mess doing whatever it can to attempt an explanation to what is happening. My desire to engage with the muddled skill system and even character skits checked out long before the conclusion. All interest was lost as I just wanted to get my completion trophy and delete. Shame as I quite liked the game early on too, but Zestiria really did turn out to be my least favorite Tales game on the franchise(of those played). It's a mess and GAF was right.

That said, I am ready to jump into Berseria! Thought I would burnout playing both back to back, but I really am looking forward to a good Tales game especially now.
We tried to warn you. Don't know how you're able to back to back a tales game after finishing zestiria. It's been about a year and I'm still not ready to come back.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

Its basically the same asset and graphics level from Xillia 1 on PS3. Which came out 6 years ago. Luckily the game's color pallet can be pretty bright and vibrant and 1080p 60fps helps as well

Yazuka

Gotta wait until Friday before I get my copy, gah!! The wait is killing me!
So hyped for this game. Been looking forward to it for a long time now.

Pacotez

• WW: January 27, 2017 (PC Release)

Soon

BplO8KFIMAEUyvB.jpg

Actually the thread reminded me I have finish Abyss. I will leave it for later. Gonna beat TW3 and Berseria first

I don't need to play any other tales games, this is standalone in terms of story right?
If so then I'll be getting it on pc but wait for the port reports first.

Datschge

It's a PS3 game (literally, it released on PS3 in Japan and was very competent for that), but rather clean at 1080p 60fps on PS4. Next Tales game won't be on PS3 anymore so it's then when we can expect Tales to step up the graphics some more.

Well, excuse meeee, Mr. Specificpants. You found it didn't ya? Lol.
I participated in that thread and it keeps annoying me how the TC started the thread with an obvious agenda so he couldn't update his first post. The whole censorship issue was fake overblown and misleading to boot (a lot of people thought Velvet's costume was censored) and we needn't repeat it. You triggered me by linking said OP. =P

Anoxida

I don't need to play any other tales games, this is standalone in terms of story right?

You dont need to play any other tales before this no. Some ppl might tell you to play zestiria since it takes place in the same world. It doesnt matter and dont listen to them. Zestiria is garbage fire.

I participated in that thread and it keeps annoying me how the TC started the thread with an obvious agenda so he couldn't update his first post. The whole censorship issue was fake overblown and misleading to boot (a lot of people thought Velvet's costume was censored) and we needn't repeat it. You triggered me by linking said OP. =P
ok buddy

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Malak = Seraphim

???

Should have reacted that fast in your own thread, buddy.
or you couldve PM'd me to add it. I'm not a mind reader.

I was still posting in that thread for a bit after the extra statement was posted, I see one post after I stopped posting suggesting to add it to the OP. I never read that.

OVDRobo

Hmm... after Zestiria I'm going to wait to hear a good number of impressions on this one and maybe for a price drop.

I'm kinda off the Tales of series recently due to the number of releases over the last few years and the lack of any discernible qualitative increase across them.

I've seen some decent impressions so far, and if anything the slight edginess to this game's story is a plus for me since I prefer that kind of thing to all the magic of friendship, love and courage stuff going on in Graces and Symphonia, but it's still not quite enough to sway me after how frustrating and bad the pacing and systems of Zestiria were.

Looking forward to some honest impressions within the next few days.

Edit: Oh yeah, how's the music? I really enjoyed the Go Shiina stuff in the shrines or whatever they were in Zestiria, but most everything else was forgettable.

Pacotez

A while back I heard theories about Berseria being on the same universe of
Zestiria.
Has it been confirmed?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Berseria is gonna magnify those feelings towards Zestiria, lol.

8.8 is a really strong score from IGN. 7 from Gamespot sounds like the norm for media outlets here.

I imagine so based on impressions.

We tried to warn you. Don't know how you're able to back to back a tales game after finishing zestiria. It's been about a year and I'm still not ready to come back.

Yea, I'll see how it goes and may need a break afterall after the last month of Zestiria. Granted I have taken a long hiatus with jRPG's with the only one I have real fondness playing in recent years being the PSN re-release of SMT Nocturne. Zestiria, despite its flaws somehow rekindled my interest in them, but it wasn't really because of any specific strength in the game itself(of which there are few).

After all the hate in the demo thread I decided to try it out yesterday... and I liked it quite a bit!

I love the new mobility that free running gives, and I feel that it's easier to grok just how many more attacks you have before you're out of "stamina" so to speak, since souls are just displayed as little diamond pips. In Zesteria I never had a full grasp of how much resource each attack consumed since the stamina bar was just one big blue bar.

And also I felt that Zesteria had huge animation priority that made it hard to dodge on command, that this one doesn't. I also like the break soul feature, especially the bonus you get if you hit with it.

Definitely looks like a day one purchase for me.

Inuhanyou

Edit: Oh yeah, how's the music? I really enjoyed the Go Shiina stuff in the shrines or whatever they were in Zestiria, but most everything else was forgettable.

Outside of the main theme, the music is easily the weakest link in the game besides the PS3 era visuals. Sakuraba has been on cruise control for a while.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Malak means "Angel" in Hebrew and Seraphim is another word for high ranking Angels in Christianity. Thus they are the same.

It's also used to differentiate the ages in which the games take place.
Thought so, cool.

Is it possible to use Eizen's pirate hairstyle without his hat?

Outside of the main theme, the music is easily the weakest link in the game besides the PS3 era visuals. Sakuraba has been on cruise control for a while.
A shame, because he used to be one of the absolute greats back in the PS1/early PS2 era.

Inuhanyou

Not sure if I'll jump in despite the reviews and impressions. Zestiria burned me pretty bad.

Yeah, Zestiria has burned a lot of people...but i'd still recommend playing Berseria, i try to tell people to skip Zestiria whenever i can

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I just realized this was the first game I hadn't imported for Tales. LMAO. RIP. I guess times change.

I'll probably pick this up after my free time laxes a bit.

EDIT: Interested in hearing how they handle Rangetsu-ryuu considering Rose's MA in JP was Rangetsu-ryuu: Kawasemi and localized into Jade Luminescence....

You're a stronger man than I; hated the game so much that I lost any interest in Berseria the moment I heard it was a prequel.

That said, IGN's score is a definite surprise. I'd heard this game was an improvement but to this extent?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I love the new mobility that free running gives, and I feel that it's easier to grok just how many more attacks you have before you're out of "stamina" so to speak, since souls are just displayed as little diamond pips. In Zesteria I never had a full grasp of how much resource each attack consumed since the stamina bar was just one big blue bar.

And also I felt that Zesteria had huge animation priority that made it hard to dodge on command, that this one doesn't. I also like the break soul feature, especially the bonus you get if you hit with it.

All of this is so true of Zestiria. I really disliked how stiff the combat felt in Zestiria overall. You never had a real sense of where in the 4-chain combo structure you currently were at without counting in your head, and the flow never felt tuned well either. (ie. too often spell casting bonuses failed to proc despite being in the last chain of the combo for whatever reason, and I yelled at the game everytime!)

I'd also add how irritating it was that enemies get free immunity following major combos for the sake of avoiding button spam.
Guarding was never fast enough as mentioned, making decisive reactions nearly impossible in cases.
Break Artes(forget name) were so slow to cast that most of the time you needn't bother as they are wasted due to the recovery immunity enemies are given at opportune moments.
Oh and anything you targeted just loved to run away forcing you to constantly switch to closer enemies or be stuck in a constant stun-lock state as off-screen or back attacks kept your character frozen.

The whole thing just felt like a mess of ideas that never flowed well together.

Cornbread78

Correct, you can jump right in without losing a beat.

You're a stronger man than I; hated the game so much that I lost any interest in Berseria the moment I heard it was a prequel.
That said, IGN's score is a definite surprise. I'd heard this game was an improvement but to this extent?

It's a completely different story and set of characters. Only the world is shared and some of the lore. It's about a 1,000 year time difference.

It was Rakugo wasn't it?

Sounds about right, lol.

Tohsaka

No delivery estimate for the standard edition on Amazon, yet Yakuza 0 and RE7 are both scheduled to arrive tomorrow. Going to try talking with a rep in a bit probably.

jonno394

I loved Zestiria, but for some reason the combat didn't click with me in teh demo, maybe it's because they just threw me in with everything at my disposal rather than me learning the stuff naturally.....will get this on PC, hope you guys post loads of good impressions :)

Bladenic

The ladies all look awesome in this game in terms of how they are portrayed based on demo and import impressions. I love Rokurou and Eizen designs. Only character I don't care for so far is Laphicet due to child character and the English VA being the usual woman trying to portray a male child.

Top Bottom