• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Berseria |OT| The Band of the Crowe

R0ckman

Hmm, malak is a "divine messenger" in hebrew, is that what they are called in Japan? Interesting, are they simplifying their terms from critisim of them becoming overly complex in the past?

This will be the game to tide me over until Zelda. I enjoyed Zestiria enough to beat it, and if Berseria is a better game I'm there day one. I have it pre-purchased on Steam already.

Bladenic

Hmm, malak is a "divine messenger" in hebrew, is that what they are called in Japan? Interesting, are they simplifying their terms from critisim of them becoming overly complex in the past?

I'm guessing malaks are the equivalent of seraphim from ToZ but they're still visible to humans?

Paltheos

Here's hoping for this one. I'm kinda iffy going off Japanese and import impressions. The people didn't like Zestiria, which is the best title since Graces (best overall since Vesperia?).

My CE at Amazon still doesn't even have a delivery estimate. Anyone else have this? I tried ordering a regular edition and it said the same thing, wonder what's up. I'm half tempted to cancel the CE and just get it on PSN tonight.

I hope we get costume DLC at a quick pace. That pirate costume DLC looks awesome and I want the cameo outfits too.

I had the reg edition with the same delivery estimate. I talked with cs, but they couldn't commit to a delivery time. So I just cancelled, and got it from Best Buy. I mean if you don't mind waiting, you could just keep it since you have the CE.

JPS Kai

Has anyone heard word on when PS4 reviews are going up? I know PC copies got out well in advance but PS4 has been rather silent.

aravuus

"OT, already?" was my first thought when I saw this thread, I didn't know the PS4 version is almost out already lol

Kinda feel like getting it, but I guess I've got Yakuza 0 to play tomorrow and Wednesday. I'll wait for the PC version.

JPS Kai

"OT, already?" was my first thought when I saw this thread, I didn't know the PS4 version is almost out already lol

Kinda feel like getting it, but I guess I've got Yakuza 0 to play tomorrow and Wednesday. I'll wait for the PC version.

Pretty sure Yakuza's gonna take you a week at least. ;)

Cornbread78

Could you delete the info on
Inomiat
in the OP? That's kind of a major plot spoiler.

done, I just deleted the whole section...

I wish sites would mark these things as "plot spoilers" instead of casually listing them with the rest of the characters...

Anyone know when the review embargo is up today?

Has anyone heard word on when PS4 reviews are going up? I know PC copies got out well in advance but PS4 has been rather silent.

I've been hitting F5 all day, but nothing....

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I literally just finished Zestiria last night after 60 grueling hours.

That game just refused to end, with so much forced padding that it made the WW triforce hunt feel breezy. My interest and motivation nosedived hard in the back third as the story also went completely off the rails and became a confusing, illogical mess doing whatever it can to attempt an explanation to what is happening. My desire to engage with the muddled skill system and even character skits checked out long before the conclusion. All interest was lost as I just wanted to get my completion trophy and delete. Shame as I quite liked the game early on too, but Zestiria really did turn out to be my least favorite Tales game on the franchise(of those played). It's a mess and GAF was right.

That said, I am ready to jump into Berseria! Thought I would burnout playing both back to back, but I really am looking forward to a good Tales game especially now.

silva1991

With all other anticipated games getting fantastic reviews, I wonder if this game will continue the trend and get decent and better reviews than Zestiria.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
With all other anticipated games getting fantastic reviews, I wonder if this game will continue the trend and get decent and better reviews than Zestiria.

Berseria is a notably higher game in quality than Zesteria is. So it stands to reason it would get higher scores...

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

Malak is literally Angels.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
It's nice to see a Tales game where the MC is not all "let's go on an adventure and do what's right!"

Velvet just wants to kill shit.

silva1991

Berseria is a notably higher game in quality than Zesteria is. So it stands to reason it would get higher scores...

I guess we'll see.

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/tales-of-berseria-review/1900-6416604/

Gamespot 7/10

Pros: story, combat, character
Cons: visual, dungeon design, repetitive

Yup that is my tales of series alright.
Im happy

That's.... pretty good actually if most reviewers will share the same opinion.

Visuals has always been bad after Vesperia, so it's not surprising.

Bladenic

Ign gave it 8.8, a really high score. I think the reviewer is the resident JRPG fan so that's cool.

Also, I'm strongly considering cancelling my CE at Amazon and just pre-ordering on PSN. If anyone is interested in the CE still, I can post here or PM when I cancel it so you can try to grab it.

Rpgmonkey

Expected harsher reviews. So far they're actually lining up pretty well with many of the impressions in the import thread.

Also I recommend playing this game on hard mode. Normal is really easy IMO.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Is the equipment and skills systems similar to Zestria?

The OP has a paragraph describing it. Sounds more like FFIX where each piece of equipment has skills attached you learn passively by equipping. Once you master learning each skill(likely via combat) you can swap the piece for something else and keep what you learned permanently. So yes, very different from Zestiria.

Datschge

kimsich

Neo Member
Expected harsher reviews. So far they're actually lining up pretty well with many of the impressions in the import thread.

Also I recommend playing this game on hard mode. Normal is really easy IMO.

How is hard mode compared to xillia difficulty? I found xillia normal mode enough challenging, not too frustrating but punishes enough if you are low on level and gear. Is berseria's hard mode equivalent to normal mode in xillia?

The OP has a paragraph describing it. Sounds more like FFIX where each piece of equipment has skills attached you learn passively by equipping. Once you master learning each skill(likely via combat) you can swap the piece for something else and keep what you learned permanently. So yes, very different from Zestiria.

That sounds great!
I am super ready for Tuesday!

Rpgmonkey

How is hard mode compared to xillia difficulty? I found xillia normal mode enough challenging, not too frustrating but punishes enough if you are low on level and gear. Is berseria's hard mode equivalent to normal mode in xillia?

To me Hard in Berseria would be around Normal in Xillia. The main thing in Berseria is that each character has special abilities that feel overturned in Normal Mode, and if you've already played Graces and/or Zestiria this game won't feel too unfamiliar, which can further reduce the challenge. It's fun if you just want to wreck stuff but I feel Hard mode asks for a little more finesse in normal encounters without necessarily requiring a super high understanding of the game or a lot of precision.

Saw cons from gamespot on visuals.

How does it look to everyone? From the screens I quickly saw looked fairly vibrant. Maybe not mind blowing but decent.

Top Bottom