• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Arise shipments and digital sales top one million

I own and have played it. Try not being an asshole next time.

It plays like a Ps3 game with prettier grqphics. The dungeons are small linear point a to b with a path toward a chest maybe. The Overworld is small open areas with nothing in them. Towns are still tiny with no exploration. Battles do not happen instantly they still have a transition screen. Xillia did all this years ago. I'm hoping the second half of the game changes this.
What makes a game a PS3 game exactly? I apologize but i was being "an asshole" because you came in a sales thread talking about nothing improving beside the graphics which didn't impress you (I don't know what you expected here) and talking about the gameplay having no improvements and specifically the towns and exploration, which shows me you know nothing about the series core premises.

Tales of has always been since it's inception meant to be Anime: The Video Game with an opening song and animations that changes mid season/game with a focus on action combat, that's why in EVERY Tales Of games there's 2 worlds, 2 opening animations, a character who's a traitor or harboring a secret connection to the villains and some kind of romance in the background, it's comfort food like Dragon Quest you go in knowing what you'll get, a fun and deep battle system with 6 distinct characters that usually changes between mainline titles with some good tunes and charming characters/character interactions (skits/side quests and battle banter) with a sometimes good story.

No one who played Arise's immediate predecessor (Zestiria/Berseria) can say with a straight face that nothing's changed.

Last edited:

Bodomism

Banned
I own and have played it. Try not being an asshole next time.

It plays like a Ps3 game with prettier grqphics. The dungeons are small linear point a to b with a path toward a chest maybe. The Overworld is small open areas with nothing in them. Towns are still tiny with no exploration. Battles do not happen instantly they still have a transition screen. Xillia did all this years ago. I'm hoping the second half of the game changes this.
This is so true, the game is too linear with little exploration and the map is also very small during my 5 hours of playing this game.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I do miss the more puzzle oriented dungeon design of the older Tales games like Eternia and Symphonia. I don't mind that it's linear though, J-RPGs still tend to be.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
This is so true, the game is too linear with little exploration and the map is also very small during my 5 hours of playing this game.
The map is same type as you see in DQXI also later on each map branches out to different maps.

Bodomism

Banned
The map is same type as you see in DQXI also later on each map branches out to different maps.
I'm currently at the icy stage and about to fight the lord there, so maps will get better later on?
Overall presentation wise it's step up above the past tales game but i hate skits so much.

Last edited:
I do miss the more puzzle oriented dungeon design of the older Tales games like Eternia and Symphonia. I don't mind that it's linear though, J-RPGs still tend to be.
Fuck no! The sorcerer's ring is just unfun and some of the old dungeon designs were obnoxious because most rooms or paths looked the same but you couldn't tell because there's no map to tell where you are! I think Zestiria's approach with different powers was more fun and got way less in the way of the meat and potatoes of the games, the battle system.

Graciaus

What makes a game a PS3 game exactly? I apologize but i was being "an asshole" because you came in a sales thread talking about nothing improving beside the graphics which didn't impress you (I don't know what you expected here) and talking about the gameplay having no improvements and specifically the towns and exploration, which shows me you know nothing about the series core premises.

Tales of has always been since it's inception meant to be Anime: The Video Game with an opening song and animations that changes mid season/game with a focus on action combat, that's why in EVERY Tales Of games there's 2 worlds, 2 opening animations, a character who's a traitor or harboring a secret connection to the villains and some kind of romance in the background, it's comfort food like Dragon Quest you go in knowing what you'll get, a fun and deep battle system with 6 distinct characters that usually changes between mainline titles with some good tunes and charming characters/character interactions (skits/side quests and battle banter) with a sometimes good story.

You can't have played Arise's immediate predecessor (Zestiria/Berseria) and tell me with a straight face that nothing's change.
I've played every Tales localized except Legendia and Symphonia 2. My issue with this game is it had a huge development time and if they had kept the same engine this probably could have come out years ago. The game is fine I just expected more after all this time. It's the same until I see otherwise. I am still somewhat early so I hope to be proven wrong.

KàIRóS

I've played every Tales localized except Legendia and Symphonia 2. My issue with this game is it had a huge development time and if they had kept the same engine this probably could have come out years ago. The game is fine I just expected more after all this time. It's the same until I see otherwise. I am still somewhat early so I hope to be proven wrong.

I think it's safe to assume that the next console Tales will use Unreal Engine 4 again, it's a very stable engine now and the devs probably got used to it while working on Arise, I also don't think the next console game will take as long to develop, there were a lot of changes on the dev team after Hideo Baba (the previous Tales producer) left Bamco, and the Tales dev teams weren't separated between Mobile and Console dev teams like they are now and obviously the biggest factor being that Arise had a lot of pre-planning in order to "ARISE" the sales worldwide, honestly I wouldn't be surprised if the next consoles Tales was already in development right now.

SF Kosmo

Fuck no! The sorcerer's ring is just unfun and some of the old dungeon designs were obnoxious because most rooms or paths looked the same but you couldn't tell because there's no map to tell where you are! I think Zestiria's approach with different powers was more fun and got way less in the way of the meat and potatoes of the games, the battle system.
See, I liked all that stuff. Eternia was probably my favorite game in the series in terms of gameplay. I never cared as much for the Grandia II-style approach of just letting the dungeons be battling and exploration.

Well the time it took to develope is easily excused for a variety of reasons:

1- Zestiria and Berseria were both LITERAL PS3 games that were developed for a 2006 hardware and was ported to the PS4/PC.

2- Moving to UE4, teaching programmers how to use it and having to do new assets from scratch takes time, Xillia took over 2 years to develope cause it was on a brand new engine and even had to split it's original vision into 2 games so they could push it out more quickly.

3- The changing of the old guard with the firing of Hideo Baba after the disaster that was Zestiria (look it up on google to see how big of a shitstorm it was especially in Japan) and with Yusuke Tomizawa taking the reigns of the franchise along with Katsuhiro Harada as general producer with the aim to make to make the franchise better and more successful, and now you're seeing the fruits of their labour with 1 million copies sold in under 5 days! And I'm glad that it took this much time, everything's polished and even Sakuraba has finally composed something good after years of mediocrity.

Last edited:
In my opinion it was right choice, some of the place you go in Arise is very hard to have proper battles and the camera would have been super frustrating. Battle transition is way more practical, especially the ones with party system.
That’s what the transition haters don’t want to understand. If you’re going to heave no transition between exploration and battles, you have to design the ENTIRE game around it, like Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy XII.

The complaining is especially unwarranted since the transition in Arise is very quick, much more than in old RPGs.

Half of those are PC sales...so good to see bamcos PC approach has paid off for them over the years. Once they saw that easy money for dark souls, they haven't stopped putting things on PC.

Also, PC version with npc mod fix and other tweaks, is best version.
How can half of those be PC sales if on Japan alone PS4+PS5 sold 200K Physical copies?? It definitely sold more than 300K in the rest of the world on PlayStation consoles alone, digital and physical.

Last edited:
Is one million good for a big budget game?

On Japan I think it sold 200k copies on its first week, while Monster Hunter sold 1.3 million copies on the first week.
You're comparing apples to oranges.

Monster Hunter/Pokeomon/Super Mario will always be big sellers in Japan, a million in like 5 days is big for a series like Tales of.

Go back and look at past entries sales, you don't need CoD numbers to turn a profit if you budget right.

oagboghi2

Totally diserved, it’s one of the best JRPGs in years and it puts Square recent output (including FFVIIR) to shame
The Rock Reaction GIF by WWE

I played the demo and really liked it. It's the first 'Tales' game that I've ever played. There's some other games that I'm picking up soon so I'll wait for a price drop.

YukiOnna

Eh i didn't think it did anything better than later entries, i know people love to bring up it's visual fidelity and it's saturated color palette and having a world map (something i don't miss really) as opposed to the Xillia engine games kind of muted color palette, but people forget that those games had waaaay better character models and animations which were closer to their concept art (so long chibi models) and also had in engine and in game cinematics which helped immensely with the storytelling, and really i think the Xillia duology some of the best and most distinct art direction im the series.

40421TOXi_20.jpg
40420TOXi_19.jpg
40422TOXi_21.jpg
ToX2_Apr222014_01.jpg
Oh i agree the visuals of Xillia were beautiful- Especially Xillia 2. I think it had the best art direction of that set. Skits were fun, too.

MagnesG

Banned
You're delusional if you think the bulk of the sales are on Steam. Tales Japan sales alone guarantees the bulk of sales are on PS.

Steam sales might gain steam down the line when there will be a price drop.

Now say thank you Playstation.
You're always delusional. Go back to being a deflecting, goalposting retard.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
You're comparing apples to oranges.

Monster Hunter/Pokeomon/Super Mario will always be big sellers in Japan, a million in like 5 days is big for a series like Tales of.

Go back and look at past entries sales, you don't need CoD numbers to turn a profit if you budget right.
I see.

It's just that it looks like they invested big in this game, to the point that even people that have never even heard of Tales before have given it a try.
Perhaps my expectation are a little off though.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

I see.

It's just that it looks like they invested big in this game, to the point that even people that have never even heard of Tales before have given it a try.
Perhaps my expectation are a little off though.
Probably seeing how Capcom succeeded with Monster Hunter and trying to do the same; more time, bigger budget, slightly dialed down anime tropeynesss.

SF Kosmo

Yea in America it was tales of destiny 2, Europe was called tales of eternia. Game still holds up today
Yeah I think that was the best one in terms of gameplay. Best battle system and best dungeons. Really nice background art too. The story was not my favorite but it's still one of the better games in the series overall.

ClosBSAS

How can half of those be PC sales if on Japan alone PS4+PS5 sold 200K Physical copies?? It definitely sold more than 300K in the rest of the world on PlayStation consoles alone, digital and physical.
Steam concurrent peaks rule my boy. 60k concurrent peak is 500-600k copies sold. Simple as that,. Said by a developer a long time ago. He said about 10x concurrent is real sales, over the years with steamspy that was verified to be true. At most, u have a 5% margin error, this why I am saying 500k-600k copies sold.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Just started the full game on PS5 last night after checking out the demo. REALLY love it so far! Combat system is fun, story seems great too and i'm loving the music and it looks great too!! If you're looking for a JRPG fix, this is it!!

SF Kosmo

Having finally finished both, I liked SMT5 more than Tales of Arise. I love the combat and the art direction of Tales, but the act 3 story dumps were painful, and the cast felt a little flat to me, maybe because the tone was so po faced and the humor that was there didn't work.

Not like SMT5 had some amazing narrative or characters, but it at least knew when to get them out of the way.

manzo

Roughly 20 hours now behind, full party finally. Keeping one fact in mind, the original SNES Tales of Phantasia is still in my top 3 best JPRGs I've ever played. I've only finished ToP, ToE, ToD, ToD2 (PS2) and Symphonia on GC.

The writing is basically braindead and the characters very boring. This didn't come as a surprise though, but god damn I've had problems playing the game even so far. Wanted to drop it many times.

The combat is fun, but the game feels just so fucking McDonalds JRPG as it can. It's on the same level of boring as S-E's Tokyo RPG Factory's output.

I can see that it's made for the certain Tales audience which was born after the original Wolfteam/Tri-Ace team stopped doing Tales, aka the Hideo Baba era people. Feels like playing Symphonia all over again.

I'm still playing this through so I can finally say that I'm done with the series. I'm now actually waiting to finish this one so that I can move the Ys IX instead.

Pejo

For me a Tales game lives or dies on its characters. I liked most of Arise's cast, but they were very heavy handed with the themes this time around, more than the other games I feel. I didn't really care for the Xilia games and I hated the cast in Zestiria, so Berseria and then this was a bit of a return to form for the series for me personally. Glad it's enjoying success but I had hoped it sold better, if I'm being honest. Let's just hope that Bamco feels that the extra budget was worth it for the series so we can keep getting them. With Final Fantasy being a huge question mark quality-wise the last few entries, this is one of the last JRPG series I can depend on.

Mercador

I did my part, one of the rare games I purchased at full price in 2021. For some reason, I stopped played it when the introduction video did change. Maybe on the Deck.

Top Bottom