• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Arise announced for PS4, Xbox One, and PC

Mista

Banned

Bandai Namco announced Tales of Arise for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC at the Microsoft E3 2019 press conference. It will launch in 2020. It will feature English and Japanese voice-overs, and English, Neutral Spanish, and Brazilian Portuguese subtitles.

Here is an overview of the game, via Bandai Namco:
Tales of Arise is the latest chapter in the popular Tales Of Japanese role-playing-game franchise. With Yusuke Tomizawa (head of the God Eater franchise) at the helm of the Tales Of development team, the franchise and its latest chapter promise to deliver new storylines, gameplay dynamics, and worlds for players to explore.

Tales of Arise takes place in a solar system containing the two neighboring planets of Dahna and Rena. The inhabitants of Dahna have always paid reverence to their planetary neighbors on Rena – a planet they can clearly see in their sky – as a land of the righteous and divine. For the people of Dahna, legends and lore about Rena and its inhabitants have been handed down for countless generations, and through time, have become facts in their minds that have actually masked a cruel reality for the people of Dahna. For 300 years, the people of Rena have ruled over Dahna, pillaging the planet of its resources and stripping its people of their dignity and freedom. Tales of Arise begins with two people, born on different worlds, each longing to change their fate and create a new future for themselves and perhaps their people. Featuring an original cast of characters, a dramatic storyline, dynamic combat, breath-taking environments, with some classic Tales Of elements included; Tales of Arise marks a new beginning for the famed JRPG franchise.

In a press release, Bandai Namco Entertainment America senior global brand manager Stephen Akana said, “The Tales Of series is a foundational series within Bandai Namco Entertainment and Tales of Arise marks an exciting new beginning for the franchise with Yusuke Tomizawa taking the helm in leading the Tales Of development team. Tales Of games have always delivered wondrous worlds for players to explore, dynamic characters for players to meet, and challenging battles for players to fight. Tales of Arise promises to take these tenants to new heights and we look forward to players enjoying this new adventure.”

Here the official fact sheet:
About

On the planet Dahna, reverence has always been given to Rena, the planet in the sky, as a land of the righteous and divine. Stories handed down for generations became truth and masked reality for the people of Dahna. For 300 years, Rena has ruled over Dahna, pillaging the planet of its resources and stripping people of their dignity and freedom.

Our tale begins with two people, born on different worlds, each looking to change their fate and create a new future. Featuring a new cast of characters, updated combat, and classic Tales of gameplay mechanics, experience the next chapter in the world-famous Tale of series, Tales of Arise.

Key Features

• The Next Chapter – Experience the next chapter in the Tales of series, brought to life in stunning HD powered by Unreal Engine 4.
  • Dynamic Action – Dynamic Action RPG featuring an updated battle system that retains classic Tales of gameplay.
  • Rich Story – Rich story featuring a vibrant world and new cast of characters.
  • Stunning Visuals – High quality animation created by ufotable.

Last edited:

Teslerum

Whole new engine and looks incredibly different from previous Tales games. Looks so much better too, can't wait to see more.

Really? Looks like a Tales game and the story sounds like a Tales game.

I mean it looks good, dont get me wrong. But I dont really see that massive difference to previous Tales games.

I mean it looks good, dont get me wrong. But I dont really see that massive difference to previous Tales games.
I meant graphically. Honestly the older engine was getting incredibly stale, so this new one is a nice change of pace.

Teslerum

I meant graphically. Honestly the older engine was getting incredibly stale, so this new one is a nice change of pace.

Ah, ok. Honestly I would just be glad if they finally figured out good 3D design. Since they gave up on fixed camera their level design didn’t do it for me. Xillia 1 and 2 were horrible beyond belief and Zestiria/Berseria were just ok. (iMO)

Exentryk

r4ZP978.gif

The look of the game instantly blew me away. Actually looks like a HUGE jump from previous games. This is what I was expecting going from PS3 to PS4 and we finally got it at the end of this gen.

Also, the glimpses of gameplay looks quite interesting. I think the Tales formula of "fighting in a small cicle" needed to be revamped and this could be a more open-ended battles. I can't wait to watch some full gameplay.

The look of the game instantly blew me away. Actually looks like a HUGE jump from previous games. This is what I was expecting going from PS3 to PS4 and we finally got it at the end of this gen.

Also, the glimpses of gameplay looks quite interesting. I think the Tales formula of "fighting in a small cicle" needed to be revamped and this could be a more open-ended battles. I can't wait to watch some full gameplay.

I agree its a big jump in visuals. Love it. I'll have to add this to my list of games to buy.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I like Tales games but am usually not super hyped for them. The new look has me hyped for this.

For starters instanced battles seem to be a thing of the past.

You show me this gameplay out of context and I would have assumed it is FFXVI (albeit with somewhat cringy character designs).

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Wow a Tales game with actual current gen graphics instead of budget PS3 weeb graphics! I’m intrigued. Hope the storytelling is as upgraded as the graphics.

Psajdak

Banned
This reminded me of when I played Tales of Abyss - its main character Luke had an amazing character development.

Visuals give me a stiffy. I love it and they finally break free from the low budget graphics they're known for. Really looking forward to this. I hope it's going to have some character customization as well.

Paltheos

I am so old - There's no mention of Utena in the comment section here or in the video's.

On-topic, definitely picking this up. I always play these games, and I'm happy this one looks so much better. Visuals have never been the selling point for this franchise (and never been something I've cared about *that* much), but if there's an update to be had, sure. As long as the writing didn't suffer as a result. The character dynamics are huge part of why I play these games.

Am a little concerned that they appear to be bringing back the 'in-world' combat from Zestiria. I like that game, but Tales combat on uneven, narrow, and/or constrained terrain was a big problem. The attacks weren't optimized for the new environments effectively. Maybe the team worked out the kinks this time.

Last edited:

gela94

Wow looks really good but ughh some japanesese designers have to stop overdesigning their characters.

Top Bottom