• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales from my ass: 95% of PlayStation games in 2023 are cross-gen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Dualsense, 60fps, ssd loadspeeds for ps5enabled games, quietness. I'm sorry, yoir argument is invalid.

The moment I turned on PS5 I only bootrd up PS4 to either move some games or pass a glitching part of tomb Raider. That's it
But for someone who hasn't experienced this doesn't really miss out on an experience they haven't had.

Just like console owners doesn't miss out on 160+ FP gaming, because they haven't experienced it.

I have a PC and an Xbox one x. Tbh I don't see a reason to upgrade to series x as long as there aren't any next gen only games that are interesting.

By the time they arrive the consoles are probably cheaper or there has been a new plus/series x x or whatever.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
PS5 is like paying for a nice upgrade to your PC. Same with Series X. Pay 500 pounds and get a nice upgrade in the speed, framerate and resolution.

But, all the marketing talk from Cerny about how levels will load differently, and games will be completely different was such bullshit and the worst marketing for sometime.

I'm still vexed about the "no copying" updates bullshit. my GOW Ragnarok took more time to copy the day one patch than install the game. Joke!

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Consoles have historically always had generations, with new consoles having all new releases created exclusively for the new console.

That’s a dying thing now, There’s more money to be made by not cutting out all the owners of the previous consoles.

Given the cost and risks of game development, it’s probably necessary now. Which is why they’ve branched into PC as well.

Last edited:

Roufianos

I think most of the major AAA games are current-gen only next year. Of course those shitty, pretentious looking indies in that video are also coming to PS4, it's not like they'll be held back.

Ev1L AuRoN

Consoles are like PC now, they share architecture so it is just the case of lowering the settings. I think Unreal 5 maybe change things around, but even then, taking Fortnite as an example, they can still turn off nanite and lumen and have pretty much a last gen version working in no time.

Entering the generation, I was hoping to see bigger worlds and better A.I. Zen 2 cores feel so much better than Jaguar Cores and more in-line with PC hardware, but it turns out the CPUs are still under powered and most of the extra processing is being used in more draw calls and BVM calculations and of course higher fps, make sense when you think of it, a bigger GPU needs more CPU to feed them. This generation will be a refinement of the last one, like the last one was of the one before, and frankly, I'm okay with it, it took all this time but now we have the majority of the games running at 60fps and with great IQ.

I do get where the OP is coming from. The PS5 is a really nice console, but it is generally being held back by outdated hardware and once again, I don’t see cross gen ending anytime soon as long as companies think they can make money off of last generation. Even if the games are good, it still can be disappointing when you see things could be better from a technical and performance standpoint because they probably need it to run on weaker hardware. It seems there are a few next generation exclusive games trickling out like Spider-Man 2, Black Myth Wukong and Stellar Blade(?), so maybe we will see some more current gen exclusives sooner rather than later.

Last edited:

Miles708

You buy a console before the games are out, so why do you complain?
If you wanted to be sure about what you were doing, you should have waited.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Sylvester Stallone Facepalm GIF

Roxkis_ii

It's like every week someone comes this realization.... I'm sure some kid is going to be super happy when you sell your PS5 out dissatisfaction OP.

Smaller titles, especially Japanese titles, but in general titles that have lower selling capacity are obviously going to continue to be cross-gen for a time given they need as many possible consumers as possible to drive their margins.

Some of these games would have been released on the PS3 as PSN titles and those are always going to exist. Indie titles might release on PS4 for the next 15 years, because why not? They'd probably release it on PS3 too if they shared architecture.

K.N.W.

Covid did slow down the whole world, don't worry next gen is coming soon on all platforms. With those Jaguar cores, old gen consoles have a limited number of steps to walk on this planet.

Who cares… are you trying to imply games would look even better and run better if they were ps5 only?
Bc games already look great. Ya’ll gotta play the games and stop bitching.
Every company wants to make money. They not gonna alienate a whole player base

midnightAI

PS5/Next Gen Only games revealed at The Game Awards 2022:

Death Stranding 2
Horizon: Burning Shores
Horizon: Call of the Mountain
Tekken 8
Final Fantasy 16
Remnant 2
Judas
Star Wars: Jedi Survivor
Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League
Crime Boss: Rockay City
Banishers: Ghosts of New Eden
Immortals of Aveum
After Us
Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty
Warhammer 40000: Space Marine 2
The Lords of the Fallen
Blue Protocol

Not all 2023 admittedly, but its certainly a good start and we don't fully know what Sony and MS have for 2023 yet but we do know about Spider Man 2, and I'm sure several third parties have games for 2023 which are next gen only also.

DavidGzz

I've come to terms with the fact that cross gen is needed if we want 60fps. We don't want games that push the current gen until the mid gen refreshes are out or else we must suffer with 30fps. There are a few devs that may give us both.

Last edited:

JCK75

Cross gen is not holding games back.. most games go to PC as well which means there are lower and higher quality assets included..
It's a great thing that these games will reach more gamers as not everyone has been able to get a PS5 yet.

Umbasaborne

Banned
I've come to terms with the fact that cross gen is needed if we want 60fps. We don't want games that push the current gen until the mid gen refreshes are out or else we must suffer with 30fps. There are a few devs that may give us both.
If you want consistently high frame rates, then i dont know what to tell you except to build a pc. Console games will always prioritize image quality, especially now that the cross gen grace period is ending

I still have not played the cross gen Ragnarok. Will be my only Game for Playstation in 2023. Then the System is getting boxed up and sent to Gamestop for trade.
I am back to PC. Sony can suck it.

DavidGzz

If you want consistently high frame rates, then i dont know what to tell you except to build a pc. Console games will always prioritize image quality, especially now that the cross gen grace period is ending

I have one but I also want to play games day one and PC isn't getting them all day 1 so far.

HTK

Banned
And 100% of PC games are crossplay and it’s celebrated.

Im okay with PS4 audience still getting games no reason to deny them that. For games that can only play on PS5 makes sense to stay on PS5.

Current-gen released right before the covid-pandemic, we have a war in Europe which affects the entire Western world, worldwide inflation, a slow transition from last-gen to current-gen is a logical result.

What else did anyone expect, really?

lachesis

Maybe we are looking at the evolution of consoles as they become more like a PC?
In any cases, yes - I would love to see the games to push the new hardware to its limits further and further - but it appears that cycle is delayed a few years.

Here's what I think - that it ultimately comes down to $$$. Development cost, installed base # and expected sales #.
If devs think they can make more money off making cross-gen games, they'll continue to do so - until desired (meaning public's reception, not entirely dev's reception) performance cannot be achieved by the previous hardware. If other games start looking so much advanced & start to affect sales # heavily like previous gens of hardware... then they'll have to move on.

In previous gens - there were key launch titles that set the standard. But these days, in layman's eyes - they look pretty much comparable - so perhaps that's why - that not everyone has super trained eyes like some of us who have a knack for highend graphics.

I just think we need to be a lot more patience, as the graphical power, dev's ability to take full advantage of it within reasonable dev cost and all. Eventually they'll come. Perhaps in a couple of years?

And here I was saving up a bunch of money to buy 130 games next year! Thanks op you saved me a bunch of money! Only ps5 exclusives from here onwards!

dugdug

Banned
Did no one else in here *actually* do the math?

There are 53 games on this list that are PS5 only. So, a more accurate title is:

"60% of Playstation games in 2023 are cross-gen"

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
We barely know what games are coming to ps5 exclusively next year outside of spiderman
  • Spider-Man 2
  • Stellar Blade
  • Final Fantasy XVI
  • Forspoken
  • Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
  • Viewfinder
If you count VR (as you should), then add the following:
  • Horizon CoTM
  • Behemoth
  • Firewall Ultra
That's 9 next-gen only PlayStation exclusive games scheduled to release within the next 12 months. That's already more than enough, but I'm sure there will be a couple more to be revealed later, e.g., Helldivers 2 and Silent Hill release date.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
SlimySnake SlimySnake meltdown INCOMING!!!! get into the bunkers quick!!!!
The big games are next gen only which is what matters. Forspoken, Star Wars, Starfield, Suicide Squad, Spiderman, FF16 are all next gen. Those indie trash games were never going to push hardware anyway.

Regardless, being next gen only didnt really keep Forspoken from looking like shit, or Star Wars from getting a massive downgrade from its first reveal. FF16 is next gen and looks last gen.

The industry is coasting right now and just killing last gen SKUs of these games like EA did with Dead Space and WB did with GOtham Knights and Suicide Squad isnt good enough. We need to see games look next gen and play next gen. GOW is a fantastic game, but just like I had predicted, people tired of the formula within the first few hours and hated crawling through walls every few minutes.

Lunarorbit

Yeah, try going back to not having an SSD in your console. It's awful. Started up Mario + Rabbids 2 last night and while fun, the loading is absolutely killing me after Ragnarok.

£500 for 60fps and an SSD is maybe unreasonable but that system IS still getting exclusives. That Demon's Souls remake was transformative, I'd play it again tomorrow.

PS5 is an amazing console and a huge upgrade from PS4. My gaming experience has elevated to new heights. Basically no load times. Improved frame rates in almost every game I played. Dualsense controller is awesome. Great BC support with PS4. And when talking games, Demon's Souls, Returnal and Ratchet & Clank have all justified the purchase on top of great cross gen games such as Horizon, Death Stranding, FF7 and God of War. PS5 not irrelevant in the slightest because I wouldn't go back to gaming on a PS4 even if they put a gun to my head.
I'd like to complain but deep down I feel like av and Mr Hyde. Squeezing thru cracks sucks in 2022 but the system is a beast

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
GOW is a fantastic game, but just like I had predicted, people tired of the formula within the first few hours and hated crawling through walls every few minutes.
And just like I had predicted you went ballistic over even the few next gen titles coming out next year. Never change SlimySnake

Umbasaborne

Banned
  • Spider-Man 2
  • Stellar Blade
  • Final Fantasy XVI
  • Forspoken
  • Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
  • Viewfinder
If you count VR (as you should), then add the following:
  • Horizon CoTM
  • Behemoth
  • Firewall Ultra
That's 9 next-gen only PlayStation exclusive games scheduled to release within the next 12 months. That's already more than enough, but I'm sure there will be a couple more to be revealed later, e.g., Helldivers 2 and Silent Hill release date.
I should have clarified i was reffering to 1st part

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom