• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Taking Vacations from VideoGames & Internet - [Have you ever tried?]

D.Final

Banned
In the last few times I have taken some time to rest.
With the summer heat, and with the Covid19 situation, I needed a vacation from everything.
So after finishing Nioh 2, I took a month full of vacation from everything, work, video games and even the internet.
And I also went to see the Grand Canyon for the first time in my life, and it was really cool.
Without thoughts and words, alone and immersed in the environment.

So I ask you, have you ever taken a break from everything?
Even from the internet?
Just to relax.

A.Romero

Not really. It doesn't really bother me so I don't think I need it. Plus I work on IT so I basically need to have my phone pretty much glued to my hand.

Shantae

Banned
Gaming, no...internet...I wish I could. If I had any kind of social circle, I imagine it would be easier to break from the internet, but I'm desperate for socialization...so I come here.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I went to a state park and stayed the night in a cabin. I went on hikes, had dinner, and enjoyed the sunset. I also went to a lodge for a day. We had fresh apple cider and enjoyed the trees. This was on an apple orchard. The best part was at night when I got to look up in the sky. It was like the stars shined brighter than they ever had. I felt these huge gusts of wind hit me and it was like I was one with nature for a couple minutes. It does help. I put my phone in the room safe and I brought along a book to read.

I think it’s good to clear your mind. I work with computers and my favorite hobby is in front of a screen. It’s nice to rejuvenate that feeling. I don’t always enjoy my phone because I use it a lot at work. I don’t want to feel exhausted when I go play my Vita or Switch.

zcaa0g

Banned
Yep. Got bit by a rattlesnake, chased by a pack of wolves and mauled by a bear so it was back to the great indoors for me.

I didn't game in May but pretty much all of my media consumption is digital - movies/books/music - so the Internet is essential to not going insane.

Zannegan

Took a four-month break from gaming while working on a personal/creative project because games ate up too much free time that would be better spent elsewhere. I still browsed GAF though, which was probably a mistake. Without that time sink, I probably would have finished in three months. Lol.

Damigos

I used to take 2 month break from everything gaming and internet related, but not anymore. I am connected during the whole year but I play less overall

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Well if you think you getting fed up I would say its good idea, but for me with video games that hasn't happened to me yet but with internet, it happens time to time.

Abear21

Banned
My vacations are video games and internet

Came in to post this. In my line of work I smile and talk to guests all day while managing a large staff, in my down time it’s leave me the F alone and veg out on games/phone! I don’t even like multiplayer because it’s my coworkers and staff trying to talk work w me while I’m gaming, sometimes the only way to escape is to shut it all off.

Caio

I just did it. Two weeks of Holidays, taking sun, playing on the beach, swimming, icecream, dinner with fish almost every day. Total regeneration.
Now I'm back :D

Sure but it was before smart phones being a thing. No internet or games for weeks during road trips and what not. Maybe a few hours of internet at Internet cafes or in hotel lobby. I have had ‘vacations’ from video games every time I have gone on vacations away from home.

xrnzaaas

I always avoid gaming or even browsing the Internet when I'm on vacation. It's nice to take a break from it at least twice a year and relax and enjoy the sun with people close to me.

Obviously this year's vacation plans have been ruined because of the virus, but I'm still hoping to go on a break in September if the situation in my country won't deteroriate significantly.

Last edited:

Birdo

Banned
I've taken plenty of breaks from gaming, but the internet is my only contact with other people. I'd go nuts if I didn't use it.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I don’t really do breaks from gaming as there’s always something fun to play (I have a huge backlog not helped by getting the Switch). The internet I could do with a break from but I’m a programmer so that isn’t going to happen. I’ve binned Twitter though so I have less in the way of unhealthy snacking internet.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
With the summer heat, and with the Covid19 situation, I needed a vacation from everything.
So after finishing Nioh 2, I took a month full of vacation from everything, work, video games and even the internet.
And I also went to see the Grand Canyon for the first time in my life, and it was really cool.

Even from the internet?
Just to relax.
So you using your imagination to relax yourself ? Or did you manage to download your favourites ?

Shai-Tan

Banned
I‘m starting to see why old people retire to the country, don’t own a tv, get out of touch, etc. Some combination of speed of life being too fast forward for too long, wanting to have it all and after a certain point, nothing new under the sun that you haven’t already experienced something like it before. I would love to have a month to do nothing.

GHG

Gold Member
Yeh I probably do it once a year.

The internet as a whole not so much because I need to use it for work but I'll only visit sites that I need to for work during that period.

The best thing to do is actually get away during this period if you can (I know its not possible for most people now due to corona). Last year when I did it I spent 3 weeks in the Seychelles (silhouette island) where Internet access was limited/flaky anyway. Feels great.

Portugeezer

Yes, but I have to remove myself.

If Internet is available it's hard to resist, and now it's everywhere so it's difficult to disengage, unless you do it consciously.

But boredom is good to reset your brain, at least what we consider boredom these days.

Impotaku

Impossible for me to take real vacations outside of a day trip i neither earn enough to travel on a far away abroad holiday. Plus add in the fact i have to look after my mother even if i could take a trip far away there's nobody to take care of her while i'm gone.

Videogames are my vacation escape same with other hobbies too i can retreat and switch off with those alone.

Last edited:

Ceadeus

You should have stayed away from here. You haven't miss anything. Forum turned into a next gen war and halo infinite forum.

sublimit

Banned
OP i had noticed recently that your posts had changed a bit. Before you were much more enganged in conversations (and fights about FFXV :p) but in recent months i noticed that you only posted a few words at a time. Glad that nothing bad happened and everything is working out for you.

As for your question i'm currently going through a very stressful period and the internet,youtube and forums like this one helps to keep me company when it's impossible to be close with real friends and family i care and love. Even if i'm not enganged i feel as if i'm part of a community and it helps keeping me "company" and keeping my mind away from real life problems even for a short time.

Last edited:

D.Final

Banned
So you using your imagination to relax yourself ? Or did you manage to download your favourites ?

Without thoughts, without internet, without work, without games, and without worries.
Meditating on my past and thinking about my future.
In lightness and with maximum relaxation.

OP i had noticed recently that your posts had changed a bit. Before you were much more enganged in conversations (and fights about FFXV :p) but in recent months i noticed that you only posted a few words at a time. Glad that nothing bad happened and everything is working out for you.

As for your question i'm currently going through a very stressful period and the internet,youtube and forums like this one helps to keep me company when it's impossible to be close with real friends and family i care and love. Even if i'm not enganged i feel as if i'm part of a community and it helps keeping me "company" and keeping my mind away from real life problems even for a short time.

Thank you :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:
The vacation period I took did me really good.
Considering the problems I had with Covid before my vacation, and considering everything I was playing at that time, including Nioh 2, Animal Crossing, etc ..., I really needed to unplug for a while and rest.

You should have stayed away from here. You haven't miss anything. Forum turned into a next gen war and halo infinite forum.

Between yesterday and today I saw a little something here on the forum.
And considering that I haven't seen any streaming events from Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft during my vacation, I notice that the topics of discussion have flared up regarding NextGen.
They said then at the end when they come out and at what price?

DESTROYA

No I have a life outside of video games and only on the internet to post on Gaf.

I’ve been unofficially retired for about a year and love it, I can do what I want whenever I want and it’s glorious, thank god I’m financially well off from busting my ass for years and then selling my very successful business.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Well, only do it if you're traveling, but internet and gaming are part of joy so it doesn't make enough sense to me.

D.Final

Banned
Well, only do it if you're traveling, but internet and gaming are part of joy so it doesn't make enough sense to me.

Even things that make you happy and or make you laugh, such as games and the internet, can become a daily routine that over time can be repetitive or sometimes stressful.
And this also depends on the different cases, situations or needs that a person looks for in his time or in his daily life.
This is why a break from these can do well.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Even things that make you happy and or make you laugh, such as games and the internet, can become a daily routine that over time can be repetitive or sometimes stressful.
And this also depends on the different cases, situations or needs that a person looks for in his time or in his daily life.
This is why a break from these can do well.

Yup, I have a blast here, I have a blast in whatsapp, I have a blast while gaming. I actually find them as a wonderful way to beat the stress. But if I'm traveling, I would still check my groups on whatsapp to throw some cheeky banter from time to time and keep in touch with friends/family! Gaming? Well, I can pause that when you're enjoying some quality time on another country.

It's better of course to give the tech less time and enjoy real life, but if you're having any kind of stress on the internet or gaming then maybe you should change something.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Was in the swiss alps some years ago with no internet or consoles.
I did have my 3DS, but the 12V electricity there obviously wasn’t sufficient to charge it.
We went on hiking tours, went out for dinner/lunch, took trips to other places, etc. most of the day. When we were home we usually spent our time preparing food, eating, drinking and talking. When we didnt have anything to do we just played family games instead.
Overall I didnt miss internet or videogames at all because there would not have been mich time anyway.
Not playing videogames or surfing the internet for a few days was a welcome change, but its not like it matters really.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties

Even from the internet?
Just to relax.
Video games, yes. I usually play every other week. I'm a very casual gamer. Internet, no. How else would I be getting on GAF? We've become a bit too dependent on internet to pull the plug. Cell phones though...I don't touch em. Never liked having a cell phone.

Top Bottom