• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Take-Two to buy FarmVille maker Zynga in deal valued at $12.7 billion

Kagey K

Banned
HoeExpect a GTA expansion where you farm with hoes.
stephen colbert ho GIF

oldergamer

thats-the-joke-ranier-wolfcastle.gif

Left MS in 2013, took them 7 years to get the Xbox Series out
Left Zynga in 2015, 6 years later major buyout

"Zynga's shares jumped 10.4 percent on the day the news was made public and another 5.9 percent in after-hours trading following the official announcement. On his first quarterly financial earnings call with Zynga, on July 25, 2013, Mattrick predicted volatility for the company over the coming 6 months to one year, stating a need to "get back to basics" and "take a longer term view on our products and business."

"By 2015, Zynga was struggling to make the intended gains in the mobile market and had seen its share prices fall. On April 8, 2015, it was announced that Mattrick had resigned as Zynga's CEO, "effective immediately"

I'm sure this is so we can actually get GTA:SA HD, Remastered Enhanced Edition done properly
So this had nothing to do with matrick as I suspected.

Makes Bethesda’s buyout look like a goddamn fire sale.

Which is why I've been saying for the longest Microsoft got a steal of a deal to get Bethesda for just $7.5 billion. I won't completely dismiss the potential of this deal, however. The engine used for Farmville could create a really, really damn good mobile GTA that's different from the main games, sure, but one that could still turn out pretty damn amazing and addicting in the mobile space.

Tutomos

Crazy that some thought Sony don't have the money to compete but a much smaller company made a bigger gaming acquisition than Microsoft.

Did you not use facebook 10-13 years ago? It was everywhere
Some didn’t have friends inviting them every 12 mins.
Pretty funny after there was so much 'concern' shown for a trillion dollar company like Microsoft buying Bethesda, and then fucking Take Two just go and spend double on Zynga.
I dont see how its funny. Or even comparable. Sony buying Activision would be a similar action, making COD a Xbox omission. Sony fully buying Scopely would’t gather any reaction.

I think whats most funny about this is people think only MS is capable of making these type purchases.. clearly this isnt the case, as most of us knew already.
If i had a dollar every time i read a post saying Sony couldn't spend 7b on acquiring a company...and now Take-Two buys one for 12 billion.

That just shows how any of these companies can do acquisitions this size if they want to.

Stuart360

I dont see how its funny. Or even comparable. Sony buying Activision would be a similar action, making COD a Xbox omission. Sony fully buying Scopely would’t gather any reaction.

The post above by Tiago explains what i was trying to say well.
I just mean Microsoft is this mega corp, and many on here was acting like the Bethesda deal was some huge gamble, and if it didnt work out it could effect Microsoft badly financially. And then along comes a much smaller company and spends double.

Crazy that some thought Sony don't have the money to compete but a much smaller company made a bigger gaming acquisition than Microsoft.

A far cheaper to maintain acquisition. ;)

It's going to be a lot more expensive for Microsoft to maintain Zenimax Media, Bethesda's publishing arm, and all those game development studios spread across the world. Now maybe I'm underestimating Zynga's workforce, but I suspect it isn't in the same league of ongoing expense and financial maintenance as Bethesda's operations are.

And of course Sony can compete. I may now personally think that Xbox has a nicer lineup of studios and IP, but it isn't about numbers. It's never just been a numbers game. Sony's quality output hasn't been a problem. Microsoft's, however, has been, which is why they needed to up their numbers drastically. Sony adding to an already strong first party operation will ensure they continue to make top tier AAA experiences. They'll never need to be more than what Microsoft produces so long as they are never too few compared to what Microsoft produces from its new studios.

Last edited:

levyjl1988

Banned
What value does Zynga have for Take-Two?

Zynga looks like a shitty company to invest in, you got shitty flash games on a Facebook platform. Farmville was only good at conning old people with a daily check-in system, you are better off with games like Animal Crossing New Horizons where you aren't screwed over.

A far cheaper to maintain acquisition. ;)

It's going to be a lot more expensive for Microsoft to maintain Zenimax Media, Bethesda's publishing arm, and all those game development studios spread across the world. Now maybe I'm underestimating Zynga's workforce, but I suspect it isn't in the same league of ongoing expense and financial maintenance as Bethesda's operations are.

And of course Sony can compete. I may now personally think that Xbox has a nicer lineup of studios and IP, but it isn't about numbers. It's never just been a numbers game. Sony's quality output hasn't been a problem. Microsoft's, however, has been, which is why they needed to up their numbers drastically. Sony adding to an already strong first party operation will ensure they continue to make top tier AAA experiences. They'll never need to be more than what Microsoft produces so long as they are never too few compared to what Microsoft produces from its new studios.

Both Zenimax and Zynga have around 2000+ staff

faraany3k

Banned
If console gamers think they can compete with Mobile money, they are delusional. With chip shortage and overly expensive console market, it was just a matter of time.

Just shows where their priorities are and where the gaming industry's mentality is.

You really have to look at the companies and what their strategies are.

Sony's going to make smaller purchases for the most part. What are they looking to do? They want to diversify their games. They want to dabble in PC gaming, VR, and mobile. They want support studios so they don't have to crunch as much. They want to slowly but surely build out their studios. Which isn't to say they won't make any large acquisitions, but it just doesn't make a ton of sense for them. It doesn't make sense for Sony to continue buying studios that fulfill what their current studios do, which is 3rd person action/adventure games.

Microsoft on the other hand needs an injection of talent. They overbought for Rare which just never worked out, Bungie left, Lionhead went belly up, and epic games started doing their own thing. At the same time Sony's studios were maturing. Sony used to be in a very similar position. Bethesda was a big get for them and a large price tag. We'll see how the move works out, but I anticipate Microsoft will continue to buy major studios. Microsoft/Bethesda did very well in this years Game Awards so it looks like it is doing pretty well so far.

kyoji

If i had a dollar every time i read a post saying Sony couldn't spend 7b on acquiring a company...and now Take-Two buys one for 12 billion.

That just shows how any of these companies can do acquisitions this size if they want to.
Precisely. Its just idiots trolling.

Vagswarm

Didn't someone just buy them a few years ago for a crazy amount, after Farmville & other crappy games exploded?

Hinedorf

Banned
To this day the video game purist in me refuses to play any cellphone game with time gates in place. The moment I have to wait for whatever bullshit currency equates to real time is the moment it's uninstalled. Same time gates always exist in MMO's endgame too which is normally when I bow out as well.

Last edited:

SSfox

Those subhumans company unable to add content in Red dead online since 2 years but they have money for this garbage?!!!

Bruh I wish Rockstar Editor house was somebody else than trash two.

Bluecondor

While we are joking about Take Two/Zynga bringing back Mafia Wars, I used to play Mafia Wars back in the day and the core game behind Mafia Wars had some elements in it that were enjoyable and compelling. The game had several different organized crime territories over the years. I remember that New York City was in the core game and dollars were the base currency for New York. Later on, they released Thailand, and bhat was the base currency for Thailand (and it was much more of a grind to generate than dollars). You would unlock everything in the territory by doing various criminal activities (all RNG based that was influenced by the strength of your character) in each territory - story missions and daily activities like robberies to make money and acquire items. There were even PvP activities you could do for money and for rankings on leaderboards that were based on your overall strength as a character. This was overlayed by the fact that rare items like diamonds would occasionally drop in robberies, which made you came back to it to acquire all of the rare items (I still remember completing the rare diamond collection through daily grinding of robberies).

It would be something to see a 2022 version of this based on the GTA locations (Liberty City, Los Santos, Vice City, Las Venturas, San Fierro) with a GTA storyline and GTA businesses/fronts in each location. I agree with others that this would be laden with microtransactions to lure whales, but TT/Zynga would need to make a base game that appeals to a large number of users to bring in the whales.

I would rather play a game like this than GTA Online (which I just reinstalled recently to see the new update, but I just can't get into it).

TransTrender

Gold Member
Bit of a Necro bump but here are their new earnings report.
Not sure how a swing of an annual earnings of $5 per share to a loss of $2 per share is good or how that's spun in to a positive.

Last edited:
Top Bottom