• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Take-Two CEO Strauss Zelnick says games are ten years from photorealism

Three

Mark Cerny isn't on the same level as Jensen or Lisa Su. He's actually no where close. Wouldn't take his "word" at all. And I'm sure I'll wake up to a shit storm of quotes, but the reality is just that. He works based off the bread and butter off others like Nvidia and AMD.
He is in charge of one of the most popular engines in games and one that is increasingly being used in movies. How exactly does he work based off the bread and butter of others like NVidia and AMD? His engine is hardware agnostic. It even supports ARM before it was Nvidia.

You seemed to be confused between Mark Cerny and Tim Sweeney because you have a chip on your shoulder.

Last edited:

Orta

Banned
Ten years. The PS6 and Xbox whatever will have just missed out then so it'll fall to the PC as ever to lead the way :messenger_sunglasses:

Geforce 8080ti, mark your calendar boys and girls.

Photorealism: Attainable this generation

Full Immersion Based Photorealism: Photorealism so refined you can no longer tell if you are viewing film as no animations or camerawork break immersion - probably 10 years away, would be less if dev's made that their focus this generation.

He is in charge of one of the most popular engines in games and one that is increasingly being used in movies. How exactly does he work based off the bread and butter of others like NVidia and AMD? His engine is hardware agnostic. It even supports ARM before it was Nvidia.

You seemed to be confused between Mark Cerny and Tim Sweeney because you have a chip on your shoulder.
No need to defend him. Let me know when he actually is on the level of those I started. Also, hardware agnostic? Where are his games on xbox and nintendo switch? Hmmm.... Didn't think so. He's no Tim Sweenie either, as his engine is actually used for movies and games.

Last edited:

NeoGiffer

Can he tell us when GTA 6 is gonna come out?

5dEel6J.gif

Sophist

what is the current state-of-art photorealistic game? i remember when s.t.a.l.k.e.r was, one decade ago.
34tj5pp8ojv41.jpg

ss_a492d7b035d9e99096b1kzi.jpg

HAL-01

Heh I actually remember watching this for the first time on a plane and thinking there was something off with the faces, I though they had been processed with a smoothing filter and digitally enhanced lighting, before learning they were cgi doubles. I still believe the best example of a photoreal person happened in that one scene in Blade Runner 2049

Three

No need to defend him. Let me know when he actually is on the level of those I started. Also, hardware agnostic? Where are his games on xbox and nintendo switch? Hmmm.... Didn't think so. He's no Tim Sweenie either, as his engine is actually used for movies and games.
What are you talking about? My point is that nobody mentioned Mark Cerny. You having a chip on your shoulder about PS5/Mark Cerny made you read Mark Cerny out of nowhere and go on a rant. Go read what you replied to.

Last edited:

Sethbacca

As long as gaming revolves around consoles that will not happen in 10 years

Given typical 5x/6x multipliers generation over generation, we're looking at probably 60tf consoles next gen, on top of architectural improvements and other shit we'll gain in efficiency and engine tech over that time. Consoles or not, we're approaching a point where system power won't be the issue, it will be the massive teams required to create these photorealistic mega games.

Top Bottom