• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Take-Two CEO Strauss Zelnick expects mid-generation console upgrades like PS4 Pro and Xbox One X, but doesn't expect them to impact the business much

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

One other console question we put to Zelnick is that of mid-generation console refreshes. It was about this point in the last console cycle that Microsoft first announced what would be the Xbox One X, and Sony soon followed with the PlayStation 4 Pro. We ask if we should expect to see such iterative hardware this time around, and whether or how they impacted Take-Two's business in the previous generation.

"We probably will," Zelnick says, "and they did not affect the business very much."

Topher

Gold Member
Jack Nicholson Yes GIF

Gamerguy84

Well I'm officially convinced as of just now. OK might be time to sell one of these PS5s and sit on the cash for a minute. I've got two and one of them basically isn't being used ever.

Day 1.

I wonder how much these Pro versions will differ from the base consoles.

Anyways I'm happy I waited. PS Showcase might give me reason to invest in a Pro console.

nashman

The PS5 and Series X came out too soon in relation to UE5. Nextyear the tidal wave of UE5 games hit and they will need more powerfull boxes to hit 4k60. It only makes sense.

Kataploom

Gold Member
It's not like last gen mid gen consoles set the world in fire, base consoles still sold the most by quite a big margin after they released

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

One other console question we put to Zelnick is that of mid-generation console refreshes. It was about this point in the last console cycle that Microsoft first announced what would be the Xbox One X, and Sony soon followed with the PlayStation 4 Pro. We ask if we should expect to see such iterative hardware this time around, and whether or how they impacted Take-Two's business in the previous generation.

"We probably will," Zelnick says, "and they did not affect the business very much."

Aka “have fun dreaming about buying specs, we will not do much work to optimise for them if any at all. As long as people are happy and consuuuume it is more like a You problem 😂”.

Last edited:

Three

What they mean:
"They might but we won't do much with it anyway if they did"

Take 2 hasn't even put out a RDR2 patch for the entirely new console generation, their midgen support is going to be minimal and relegated to their GaaS games.

Last edited:

HL3.exe

Dumb, if true.
  • Barely any '9th gen only' games released, this is the first year it's finally starting.
  • Effectively using these specs seems to be the issue, spreading task over multi-threaded processors. mOrE BeTtEr hArDwArE pLz isn't gonna fix this problem. It's a coding problem, not hardware.
  • The cost of chips has gone up, stagnating Moore's Law, so it's probably unappealing for consumers as well as manufacturers.
  • There is no meaningful leap that designers can't reach with this current hardware, these boxes are still pretty powerful tech wise, especially CPU and memory wise and current design limitations are more based on budget, manpower and skill, instead of raw specs/horsepower.
  • Like last gen (8th gen), those first iterations where actually underpowered and the then upcoming 4k screen boom made the logistical leap to do a mid-gen upgrade (to the GPU mostly) to accommodate this demand. This time around there is no such marketable demand.

Last edited:

mrmustard

Banned
People don't care much about it. I think it was like 8:2 for normal PS4 after the Pro release althought i was just 100 Dollars more for significantly more power.

kikkis

90% of games already have a very steady 60fps mode. Why would they need twice the CPU performance? It's the gpu that needs all the help it can get, especially when RT is involved.
if you max out ps5 cpu with 30fps, then obviously you need more than double the perf for doubling the framerate.

Skifi28

if you max out ps5 cpu with 30fps, then obviously you need more than double the perf for doubling the framerate.
Hypothetically yeah, but the vast majority of games are gpu bound. The cpus this generations are good enough for 60, maybe if people wanted 120 then it would be an issue.

Wildebeest

Sounds to me like they are having serious problems getting GTA6 to run at a stable 30fps, and they are trying to force MS/Sony hand.

FingerBang

Deffo in for a PS5 Pro. I'm selling my series X. As much as I like what MS did with the console, at the moment the Xbox is redundant with ridiculous PC.

Top Bottom