• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Take-Two attempts to shut down the “Red Dead Redemption PC Remaster” project

Helios

Last month, we informed you about a Red Dead Redemption PC Remaster project that DamnedDev has been working on. This project was basically a mod for the PS3 and X360 versions of Red Dead Redemption. Basically, think of it as all the texture packs we’ve been getting for the Nintendo Wii/WiiU games. However, it appears that Take-Two is currently trying to shut this project down.

Take-Two got in touch with the modder and demanded him to stop his work. As such, the modder decided to completely halt the development of this project, and promised to provide a video update at a later date.

Red Dead Redemption: Enhancement Project was aiming to improve the game’s visuals via the RPCS3 and Xenia emulators. This project would bring higher quality textures, UI/UX menu elements, and in-game HUD. Moreover, there were plans for draw distance optimizations, shader and model updates, and other features.

DamnedDev claimed that he is currently working with someone on the legality of the mod. Unfortunately, though, Take-Two can do whatever it wants with its franchise. Yes, this is a Texture/Graphics Pack for the original games, and should not be receiving any red flags. After all, there are already a lot of mods for various console games that rely on emulators. However, the fact that PC gamers may be able to play a game – which was never intended to run on their platform – is reason enough for a big corporation to shut it down.

Let’s not forget when Aspyr issued a copyright claim to the creators of the RPCS3 emulator for allowing PC gamers to play Persona 5. Thankfully, this copyright claim did not affect the development of the Playstation 3 emulator. As such, the development of this Red Dead Redemption project may soon resume too!

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Wait... Can they even do that?

I mean, legally, if this guy is not releasing g anything of RDR at all, other than saying “here download these files, and make sure you have a copy of the game”, they can’t legally tell him to stop this can they?

This would be like Nintendo telling me to stop selling hats, because I put up a YouTube video tutorial on how to draw an “M” on them?

Cravis

This is like the ultimate raping of the consumer. We are going to nickel and dime you to death with these micro transactions but we are not going to give you what you want and we sure as hell ain’t going to let anyone else do it, much less for free!

It really boggles my mind why they just don't hire these people, finish the project, ship it, and sell it. They've practically done the initial load of work. That in itself should ease some of the development expenses.

Its been really eye-opening for the past decade how publishers go against the passionate demographic of their audience.

stranno

It wasnt even a remastering project at this point. It was just a massive code hacking of the 360/PS3 games (for disable and enable features) and a bit higher resolution shadow map that could be even uninjectable into the game since there are no tools. All of them running under Xenia and RPCS3.

It doesnt even worth for Rockstar, they must be really bored.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Red Dead 2 on PC is mutually beneficial, I do think PC gamers tend to be more cocky with their hardware but R* has put their games on that platform before.

Thabass

All this tells me is that Take Two just confirmed that they ARE indeed doing a remaster for RDR1. So thanks for that confirmation guys.

FranXico

All this tells me is that Take Two just confirmed that they ARE indeed doing a remaster for RDR1. So thanks for that confirmation guys.
Just like Konami shutting down that Shadow Moses project was proof that they were working on an MGS remake? Yeah right.

Just like Konami shutting down that Shadow Moses project was proof that they were working on an MGS remake? Yeah right.

Maybe he was just being sarcastic, no need to be a douche about it. Also apples and oranges, Konami isn't Take Two and different project, different situations, ect.

MayauMiao

Wait... Can they even do that?

I mean, legally, if this guy is not releasing g anything of RDR at all, other than saying “here download these files, and make sure you have a copy of the game”, they can’t legally tell him to stop this can they?

This would be like Nintendo telling me to stop selling hats, because I put up a YouTube video tutorial on how to draw an “M” on them?

They could argue that it encourages piracy with that line since the only way you can play RDR with these mods is via ripping the game off the disc.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
DamnedDev claimed that he is currently working with someone on the legality of the mod. Unfortunately, though, Take-Two can do whatever it wants with its franchise. Yes, this is a Texture/Graphics Pack for the original games, and should not be receiving any red flags

Yeah... no.

Unless the art is being created from scratch, then the original, copyrighted artwork forms the basis for everything and as such is infringing upon T2's intellectual property.
Its purely a matter of whether they intend to enforce their rights when considering its legality, which if they've already sent a C+D, seems to be the case.

Last edited:
Top Bottom