• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Take It Off, You Terrorist!" - Woman Attacked For Wearing A Niqab (Video Inside)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Two Words

You're banned and this is late but I was never asked to provide photo ID when taking exams at university. All they asked for was my student number.

Potentially I could have paid another person to take my exam for me and as long as they had that number(which I would have given them to recite) they would have allowed them to take the exam regardless of what they were wearing.

Panicky fears about stealthy exam surrogates sneaking in under disguises of religious dress to take other people's exams for them are completely unwarranted when you can do it just as effectively in jeans and a t shirt.

This is of course me taking your supposed fears at face value and not the weird concern trolling they obviously are.

My university requires you to have your photo student id for all exams. I'm not sure how they would handle this. I feel like my school should be well within its right to say "If you want to take this exam, you need to let us know you are the actual person that is supposed to take this exam."

In general, I don't feel that a religious belief should make you immune to some rule as long as the rule is reasonable. Perhaps there would be another way to identify the student without requiring them to unveil their face?

My university requires you to have your photo student id for all exams. I'm not sure how they would handle this. I feel like my school should be well within its right to say "If you want to take this exam, you need to let us know you are the actual person that is supposed to take this exam."

In general, I don't feel that a religious belief should make you immune to some rule as long as the rule is reasonable. Perhaps there would be another way to identify the student without requiring them to unveil their face?
They would literally just ask a female staff member to identify the person if they needed photo ID.

This is such a non thing.

99Luffy

Banned
You're banned and this is late but I was never asked to provide photo ID when taking exams at university. All they asked for was my student number.
I would say that isnt the norm.

I wonder though, if she was allowed to wear a niquab for her student ID picture too.

caliph95

My uni has no Muslims students wearing niqabs but hijabs but feel like they would have a female identify them elsewhere and then let her in.

While even as a muslim i find a niqab weird this is such a non-issue.

quickwhips

How can you smile and wave when you have that on? Would the person know they were smiling? Something doesn't sound right but either way the other lady sounds crazy.

Breads

Banned
She knew that woman was not a terrorist or she wouldn't be harassing her like that.

Also Youtube suggested this to me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRpiwa3so8U

Pure madness

She looks unhinged. I would be afraid.

When I used to let my beard out (and honestly I only stopped because I started using a cpap machine) I used to get middle eastern quite frequently. In fact it was only during this time that I ever got stopped for secondary screening at airports!

I'm hispanic btw. The fragile kind don't dgaf tho.

She looks unhinged. I would be afraid.

When I used to let my beard out (and honestly I only stopped because I started using a cpap machine) I used to get middle eastern quite frequently. In fact it was only during this time that I ever got stopped for secondary screening at airports!

I'm hispanic btw. The fragile kind don't dgaf tho.

Now you know how it feels :p

She knew that woman was not a terrorist or she wouldn't be harassing her like that.

Also Youtube suggested this to me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRpiwa3so8U

Pure madness

DUFcwxw.gif

The Kree

Banned
The logic is incredible: physically harass someone you think is capable of blowing you up and taking themselves out with you with no qualms.

jax

Banned
holy shit shes like a zombie

I thought this was America, it's Australia .. weird

I guess racism is alive and well around the globe. sickening.

How can you smile and wave when you have that on? Would the person know they were smiling? Something doesn't sound right but either way the other lady sounds crazy.

When you smile it also affects how your eyes look. Who knows if the lady recognized it as a smile, but it's not inconceivable that you would have some idea of the facial expression someone is making just by seeing their eyes and eyebrows.

I would have gotten out the car and seen if she was really bout that life. See if she would really attack lmao. Pulling my door handles like that....must be crazy.

These discussions about Muslim women's clothing never cease to amaze me. Let them wear traditional garb if that's what they want.

holy shit shes like a zombie

I thought this was America, it's Australia .. weird

I guess racism is alive and well around the globe. sickening.
Yes, only white people actually think it went away anywhere.

This is happening all the time now. But we just make jokes about it. How can she smile? That's one of the reason it keeps happening. I wonder how many other minorities would be joked about like that after being attacked and viciously abused with slurs? I'm going to guess none.

I would suspect with an accent that thick that the Woman in the video is in fact a Chinese international student (there are loaaaaads in sydney), and while of course that doesn't forgive her behaviour, I think there is a definite possibility that she has had very little exposure to any Muslim individuals and is having an extreme reaction based off what she had seen in the media.

Anyway other than that pretty shocking.

I would suspect with an accent that thick that the Woman in the video is in fact a Chinese international student (there are loaaaaads in sydney), and while of course that doesn't forgive her behaviour, I think there is a definite possibility that she has had very little exposure to any Muslim individuals and is having an extreme reaction based off what she had seen in the media.

Woman wearing niqab waves at her, and this is her reaction. She's being a piece of shit to someone who is not harming her in any way. Regardless of her exposure to the niqab in the media, you'd think she's a functioning adult who knows people wear niqabs in public and aren't immediately evil.

vern

China has a massive muslim population though.

She didn't sound Chinese either but really was hard to tell... I think she's just batshit crazy.

China has a massive muslim population though.

She didn't sound Chinese either but really was hard to tell... I think she's just batshit crazy.

There's the Uygurs but they live in the far west of the country so most ethnic Han chinese probably wouldn't have much exposure to them
Anyway I'm not defending her actions just tring to understand them
but yeh she definitely is a bit crazy and deserves some help

maomaoIYP

There's the Uygurs but they live in the far west of the country so most ethnic Han chinese probably wouldn't have much exposure to them

I'm pretty sure the crazy woman wasn't Chinese.

vern

There are Muslims all across china. I'm standing outside a Muslim noodle restaurant in Shanghai operated by muslims right now. Your average Chinese person probably engages with muslims more often than your average American or Aussie.

Just putting this here so you know which veil is called which. You might have confused miqab for burka.

22_niqabgraphic2.jpg

There's one more called Abaya, which is a black cloak worn over the body by women in Saudi Arabia. It is combined with the head dressing Hijab.

yffnjm3.jpg

Abaya designs are a huge industry. Here's some designer collections

Designer-Abayas-and-Gowns-01.jpg

Here's Dolce & Gabbana
1-dolce-hijab.jpg

Turkish style

Top-Fashion-Sashes-Adult-New-Sale-font-b-Turkish-b-font-font-b-Abaya-b-font.jpg

Turkish style is seen all over the turkic central asian region. Also in that infamous Steven Seagal dancing like a gorilla gif

0zT7ZDb.gif

Zen Aku

I thought you were joking at first but you're actually serious. You can easily tell a man wearing a niqab from a woman. Look, dude, you might hate the niqab but wanting a ban in a democracy with freedom of religion expression is not ok.

I don't know man, Jackie Chan can pull it off.

disclaimer: it's a joke

Glad this crazy lady was arrested. Not even sure why she went off like that. smh. No normal person would seeing someone wearing that.

Vitten

Ugh, people showing their real face are always far uglier than the one's who are covering it.

But on the other hand, I don't see why a women should be made to wear a niqab in a modern western society when a hijab is all that's necessary to be in compliance with your religion. Just comes over as needlesly provokative. Those things are even banned in my country. ( for the pretence of security; you have to show your face in public so you can be identified )

Mr_Moogle

I always find it baffling when one minority is blatantly racist towards another.

I work next to an Indian guy who likes Pauline Hanson. I keep trying to explain to him that this woman is no friend to immigrants but he won't listen to me. He believes too many immigrants are freeloading and mooching off the system.

Jintor

my goddamn uni

goddamnit

that ending is amazing lol.

I'd be afraid to visit the states because of dumb people like that lady.

I'm Aussie (with greek ancestry), and your typical greek shares features with people from middle eastern countries.
I'd be so targeted lol

i don't remember, is wog offensive anymore?

I always find it baffling when one minority is blatantly racist towards another.

I work next to an Indian guy who likes Pauline Hanson. I keep trying to explain to him that this woman is no friend to immigrants but he won't listen to me. He believes too many immigrants are freeloading and mooching off the system.

That's the "fuck you got mine" mentality. Some minorities got established in a country long enough and don't feel like an immigrant anymore, so they can rag on other immigrants. It is hilariously ironic.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
that ending is amazing lol.

I'd be afraid to visit the states because of dumb people like that lady.

I'm Aussie (with greek ancestry), and your typical greek shares features with people from middle eastern countries.
I'd be so targeted lol

But... we're in a thread about a similar incident happening in Australia.....

Dalibor68

Banned
These discussions about Muslim women's clothing never cease to amaze me. Let them wear traditional garb if that's what they want.

Yes, only white people actually think it went away anywhere.
Is it traditional garb? I always keep reading that it's fairly new thing and has no basis in Quran.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom