• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Taito Type X2; how Taito dominated the arcade scene

VGEsoterica

I used to think that once arcade hardware went PC based it lost all of its unique charm and ability to impress in ways the home console scene couldn't...and for a while that was the case. But Taito bucked the trend with the X2 (and X before it) taking what was just PC parts in a box and building an entire distribution network around it to create not only a legit fun modern platform...but also a weird retro gaming throwback machine.

want to play Ultra SF IV Arcade Edition? You got it! Want to play Rastan? Also a thing you can do. Want a quick round of Puzzle Bobble in between rounds of BlazBlue? Absolutely. Sure its a giant metal case that sounds like a jet engine is running right next to you....but now that it can be multi'd and run at home it's one of the most fun and slept on pieces of hardware out there IMO. Cheap, relatively easy to setup...and a massive awesome library.

It's basically just another console you didn't know was a console and it swept the arcade scene to become the dominant platform

Curious if anyone on Gaf is into / collects for the X series of hardware?

Tarin02543

Keep those posts of yours coming, always something interesting and new to learn, and I have been in this field for 30 years.

Reactions: Fuz

Shifty

Very nice. Tetris The Grand Master 3 was a Type-X2 game, and a damn fine one as well - first arcade title I've played with a ranked account system to encourage player mastery, complete with skill-tracked promotion and demotion exams. It's like an online fighting game, only solo and without the salt :messenger_grinning:

One advantage of being PC-based is that loaders exist to run X2 games on modern systems, so a lot of the library can be played in HD or with other enhancements if you can get hold of the appropriate files. (via the Internet Archive cough cough)

JConfig Wiki

Last edited:

kalvinmaui1

Neo Member
It definitely is an amazing piece of hardware. I have a Taito Type X3 Multi in one of my Vewlix cabinets. It gets a lot of play bc there are so many games loaded on from retro classics, fighting games to shmups. Have an extended harness to link up my 2nd Vewlix to play 2P games on the X3.
qZUpfkb.jpg
9gg1DHn.jpg
gv12X3V.jpg
7U0Nvwh.jpg

VGEsoterica

It definitely is an amazing piece of hardware. I have a Taito Type X3 Multi in one of my Vewlix cabinets. It gets a lot of play bc there are so many games loaded on from retro classics, fighting games to shmups. Have an extended harness to link up my 2nd Vewlix to play 2P games on the X3.
qZUpfkb.jpg
9gg1DHn.jpg
gv12X3V.jpg
7U0Nvwh.jpg
I need to pick up an X3 next. On my list

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Me and my friend who grew up around all the good arcades in the 80's/beyond love this stuff.

Always nostalgic for rare arcade boards and unique unreleased games.

Top Bottom