• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tactics Ogre: Reborn |OT| Still Clinging Together

Komatsu

GxG60nt.jpg

Release Date: November 11, 2022
Developer: Square Enix
Publisher: Square Enix
Platforms: Nintendo Switch, Playstation 4, Playstation 5 and PC
Pricing: $49.99

A bit about Yasumi Matsuno, the man behind Tactics Ogre and Final Fantasy Tactics

matsuno-yasumi-dev.png

松野 泰己 Matsuno Yasumi was born in Niigata, a rural prefecture of Japan in 1965. He spent his early years in his small town obsessing over movies, TV shows and books.

Yasumi Matsuno's interview with 4Gamer said:
I was born in a small village in Niigata Prefecture, and obviously we didn't have internet or mobile phones. In the summer, you could play with your friends outside or baseball, but in the winter, we were buried under 3 meters of snow and couldn't do anything. Going outside to buy magazines was a hassle, so comics, novels, movies on TV were the only entertainment. If you wanted to do something else, daydreaming was the only option (laughs).

Speaking of movies, I was quite addicted to Star Wars. [...] I also loved building diorama when I was a kid, I would go out and buy 1/72 scale plastic models of tanks and build my own World War II diorama. I would go to the library and research so I could reproduce how the Eastern Front was during World War II, looking at photos and materials.

matsuno-yasumi-dev-career.png

Very early on, he decided to pursue a career in a creative industry - however, as he later admitted, he didn't want to work "too hard" to make a name for himself in an already established media, so as an avid PC gamer (a proud owner of a PC-AMIGA 88), he decided to get into gaming as the industry recovered from its early 1980s crash. A rare case of a college droupout in a country that puts a lot of emphasis on diplomas, Matsuno dropped out of Hosei University and worked as an economic news reporter for a little while before being hired by Quest in 1989.

His stint with Quest and Square is now legendary among industry observers. After working on a lackluster NES title, Matsuno became the company's main scenario writer and director and released, back to back, four legendary titles: Ogre Battle, Tactics Ogre, Final Fantasy Tactics and Vagrant Story. His main collaborators in these four titles were all the same: Hiroshi Minagawa, artists, Akihiko Yoshida, character designer and Hitoshi Sakimoto, composer. In 1996, he made the jump from Quest to Squaresoft, taking his crew with him, a couple of years before Square went ahead and gobbled up Quest.

Yasumi Matsuno's interview with 4Gamer said:
ABOUT WHAT IS A JAPANESE GAME, HOW TO COMPETE, ETC.

Even if a Japanese filmmaker tries to make a Hollywood movie, it won't be a Hollywood movie. For example, a J-Horror fad went on a while. Isn't that really a specific "Japanese" type of scare movie? I think Japanese people have no choice but to compete globally like "Japanese". In other words, Japan is a niche country in the world. So I think that being niche is key.

That is why it is often said by [JRPG] fans in Japan and overseas that it is not necessary to make something like an "American" game . On the other hand, I believe that [Ubisoft's] Assassin's Creed is a Japanese game.

matsuno-yasumi-design-docs.png
/center]
After his widely acclaimed games Final Fantasy Tactics and Vagrant Story, Matsuno was selected to direct FINAL FANTASY XII, the next mainline FF game. This production, which took over six years and $48,0000,000 dollars, would cause Matsuno's resignation from Square. Matsuno has never directed a big-budget title since. We don't really know what happened - Matsuno claimed he had health issues, there was industry gossip about how Square Enix suits thought Matsuno's take was too dark, too inflected with political intrigue and not appropriate for their target demographic. Matsuno himself, in interviews, says he struggled with Square's "democratic development culture", where the many leads in a team of hundreds of developers would seek to have input on his vision. At Quest, his team consisted of about "ten to twelve" people and he had, according to his recollection, almost "dictatorial powers" over what would be in the game. That was not the case at Square at all. He left the production halfway through the development cycle and wouldn't work with video games again till he was brought back as a consultant to work on the Tactics Ogre PSP remake, which serves as the base for this new release.

Information About the Game
[FROM THE GAME'S STAM PAGE]

Tactics Ogre, crown jewel of the tactical role-playing genre, is reborn!

Based on the 2010 release, the game features improved graphics and sound, as well as updated game design, bringing to life a new Tactics Ogre that remains true to its roots. Tactics Ogre veterans will experience a game that surpasses their fondest memories, while players new to Tactics Ogre will discover a game unlike any they've ever played. Reborn and deeper than ever, the game enables players to immerse themselves in the world and intrigue of Tactics Ogre like never before.

The Story​

The Valerian Isles, jewels of the Obero Sea. Long a center of naval commerce, the people of the isles struggled throughout history for dominion over her shores.
Finally there rose a man to put an end to this conflict: Dorgalua Oberyth. But history would know him as the "Dynast-King." King Dorgalua strove to stamp out the hatred among the people of the isles, and for fully half a century, Valeria knew prosperity.

Yet upon the king's death, civil war erupted anew as three factions vied for control: the Bakram, who comprised much of Valeria's nobility; the Galgastani, whose people made up the majority of the isles' population; and the Walister, who numbered but few.

The isles were soon divided between the Bakram and Galgastani, and an uneasy peace settled across the land. Yet none believed the calm would last...

Tactics Ogre: Reborn Features​

• Your choices affect how the story unfolds, and even how it ends, with a game system that allows for multiple paths through the game and multiple endings. The story takes place through the eyes of a young man named Denam. The decisions he makes will alter the fate of those around him, and shift the course of Valeria's history.

• Fight pitched tactical battles on three-dimensional battlefields. The completely revamped AI enables enemies to adapt their tactics to the situation, providing a battle system that always keeps you thinking and never grows old.

• The class-wide level management system used in Tactics Ogre (2010) has changed to a unit-by-unit level system. Theorycraft your way through endless combinations of classes, equipment, skills, and magic.

• Enjoy numerous playability improvements, such as a quicker pace of battle, auto save, and a complete overhaul to the controls and UI to make it easier to get into the game than ever.

• The unparalleled details of the characters and backgrounds from the original Tactics Ogre (1995) have been recreated in high definition, while the detailed pixel art that gives the game its unique feel has been preserved and enhanced.

• The cutscenes are fully voiced in English and Japanese, and all of the music has been rerecorded with live performances! The voices bring new life to the complex motivations of the characters that make up the factions and shifting political alliances of this epic story.

• When you advance far enough in the game you'll unlock the World Tarot, enabling you to travel back in the story with the power of your forces intact; an incredibly useful feature in a game where your choices have such a huge impact on how the story unfolds. If you wonder what a different choice would have led to, now you can find out!

• Traveling back isn't limited to the story; the Chariot Tarot lets you rewind up to a certain number of moves during battle. In a game of tactical battles where a single mistake can mean the difference between victory and defeat, you can play without worrying that you'll back yourself into a corner.

• Enjoy a wealth of endgame content such as the 100-level Palace of the Dead. A world of endless stories and intrigue awaits!

Media
ss-1e6d95aea4292f591c408a4d403ef65f907f94fe-1920x1080.jpg
ss-c05515200bdf1e50314f4dc76f1008ffdbd19d8e-1920x1080.jpg

ss-399b976817400a4ff98dcc7e3b59bff25608093d-1920x1080.jpg

ss-549ae5aec75bccd7e1ed242ae8d7c6dde28dc102-1920x1080.jpg

Where To Buy

Last edited:

Komatsu

LET US TAKE A TRIP DOWN MEMORY LANE!

The original OT for the 2011 PSP Remake:

A few LTTP threads created about this awesome game in the last 10 years:

Last edited:

Dynasty8

Haven't played this in 20 years, I remember it being really damn good. I do wish they updated the character models though since they look off. My only issue with the game.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
They went a bit overboard with the SuperEagle filter on those sprites man. Can that be disabled or replaced by the original sprites?

db4.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think I'm going to like the trophy list for this game. A quick glance makes it seem we would need multiple playthroughs, tactical save files to make different choices, etc.

Graciaus

I don't think I'm going to like the trophy list for this game. A quick glance makes it seem we would need multiple playthroughs, tactical save files to make different choices, etc.
There are multiple routes but you don't need multiple saves. After you beat the game you unlock a system that lets you jump to any of the branch points you've unlocked.

Komatsu

One cannot undersell how much better the game is with full voice acting, with a stellar cast in both English and Japanese. The PSP translation brought the Matsuno script to life, and the voice acting now makes it sing. Really, really outstanding and something I wish companies did more often.

Also, really surprised by how shocked people are at the high scores this game is getting. Ladies and gents, it's Tactics Ogre. One of the greatest games of all time.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
So what makes this over 11GB? Anyone found how to get the original sprites or remove that weird anti aliased filtering or whatever it is that makes them so bad?

Edit: so they're somehow still all square pixels within but their outline is now all curved and not really matching? And there's no way to actually smooth out the inside of the sprite with any CRT-like filter or anything? That's just weird.

Last edited:

Graciaus

Played 2 hours on the deck. Worked perfectly as far as I could tell.

New sprites are ugly and there are way to many buff cards on the field at times. Other than that it's still the 5/5 game I remember.

PhaseJump

Banned
Bought it on the Deck. Playing it now, between emulated Shining Force III trilogy and Dragon Force.

Still looking forward to the Sega Saturn fan translation being worked on.

Komatsu

Bought it on the Deck. Playing it now, between emulated Shining Force III trilogy and Dragon Force.

Still looking forward to the Sega Saturn fan translation being worked on.

I got it for the Switch but do want to double dip. It runs fine on the Deck?

Naked Lunch

Why does this game look like its stuck using the horrific 'smoothing' feature that no sane person uses for 2D games?
No way to turn that off?

Tactics Ogre is one of the best games in the history of the medium - not liking this treatment.
Im legit wondering if its better sticking the PS1 version or fan translations.

Komatsu

Why does this game look like its stuck using the horrific 'smoothing' feature that no sane person uses for 2D games?
No way to turn that off?

Tactics Ogre is one of the best games in the history of the medium - not liking this treatment.
Im legit wondering if its better sticking the PS1 version or fan translations.

Reborn is better than the previous versions in every single way imaginable - balance, party system mechanics, voice-acting, etc. It is leaps and bounds better than the PSP remake, which was fantastic. The PS1/SNES versions don't ever bear mentioning at this stage.

Yes, the Super2xSal filter is not the best but we'll get mods to address that soon enough..

Naked Lunch

Reborn is better than the previous versions in every single way imaginable - balance, party system mechanics, voice-acting, etc. It is leaps and bounds better than the PSP remake, which was fantastic. The PS1/SNES versions don't ever bear mentioning at this stage.

Yes, the Super2xSal filter is not the best but we'll get mods to address that soon enough..
I gotcha - thats good to know.
That sprite filter hits me hard though man - just disgusting.
Ill keep my eye out for mods - PC looks the way to go.

Alexios

Yes, that's where my linked screenshot to show the expanded view is from. But the sound cuts out in parts and that team is also known to enhance stuff. Like they have managed to fit more text in the Saturn dialogue boxes but the Japanese version seems just as limited as the others (at a glance).

Last edited:

Graciaus

I'm near the end of chapter 2 if remember correctly . I find this version harder than the psp one just because of the level cap. It's good that units aren't tied to class level anymore but this might not have been the best solution.

Fuz

Banned
Tried it briefly with a friend.

I'm VERY impressed on how good the "port" is, how many options we have and how good the controls are - both keyboard (2 possible bindable keys for every action, I always love that) and mouse (cancel with right click, super convenient). I'm surely not used to expect this level of attention to detail for an old port, especially from japanese devs. Excellent, just excellent.
Love the art style and the voice acting so far is quite good too. Music is fantastic, they don't write those timeless soundtracks anymore. Mechanically is just FFT, but that's what we wanted, what we expected and what we both like. Too soon for a educated opinion on the mechanics, anyway.
But yeah... the vaseline filter is ATROCIOUS and I wish we could disable that. Please tell me there's a mod already for that.

Last edited:

SeraphJan

Best SRPG ever, although I still prefer the original Super Famicom version due to game mechanic, but everything else in this version rocks, but mainly because of the remastered music from the psp version, I actually prefer mute character instead of voice acting

Last edited:

Xeaker

Watched some PS5 gameplay and it looked a little blurry, not crisp. Is it the video or does it look like this?

F2EOGmc.png

Because, if I zoom out like this on my Vita, it looks much more crisp.

Needlecrash

Watched some PS5 gameplay and it looked a little blurry, not crisp. Is it the video or does it look like this?

F2EOGmc.png

Because, if I zoom out like this on my Vita, it looks much more crisp.
Tactics Ogre Reborn added some emulator Super Eagle filter over the sprites. It looks pretty damn ugly honestly, especially when zoomed in. I'm hoping for a PC mod to put back the actual sprites, just upscaled.

Xeaker

Tactics Ogre Reborn added some emulator Super Eagle filter over the sprites. It looks pretty damn ugly honestly, especially when zoomed in. I'm hoping for a PC mod to put back the actual sprites, just upscaled.
That's very unfortunate to hear. I guess they always just have to fuck up at least one thing.

Alexios

Edit: so they're somehow still all square pixels within but their outline is now all curved and not really matching? And there's no way to actually smooth out the inside of the sprite with any CRT-like filter or anything? That's just weird.
Just to demonstrate the weirdness further. The sprites are pre-upscaled rather than doing that in real time by the resolution/zoom levels (which wouldn't be so bad on its own though it would still mean we can't apply CRT filters to a "native" resolution). They aren't really smoothed out with a filter since you can still clearly see the square pixels that make up the sprites if you zoom in. But they do have a weird mismatching outline that is smooth and doesn't even quite match the sprite. Plus there are various random black pixels all over the place. So with the characters being made of so few pixels originally (upscaled or not) these "small" issues with the outline and black pixels make up a big % of them and change a lot. Zoomed this in after taking the screenshot so that's why it's more blurry but you can still see the original square pixels inside it.
yuckwccl2.png

Original size screenshots so you can zoom in yourself in various sprites, two of them to show the sprites have black pixels as they animate too, some more than others, this character has the most, but the outline is bad in all of them.
https://abload.de/img/tacticsogrereborn_20245een.png
https://abload.de/img/tacticsogrereborn_20245een.png
So someone's gonna have to replace all the sprites in the game manually with the originals pre-upscaled to match the size or something. And then figure out how to get a CRT filter that takes the pre-upscaling in account to smooth them out as they should be and not like this. Something like that.

Last edited:

Graciaus

Chapter 3+ and the new changes are terrible. Boss battles can be way overtuned. They spawn with 4 cards and my last one I was outnumbered on a tiny map and it could do 1,000 damage every turn. You can't level up, they are 1-3 levels higher and then you are praying for the rng cards.

Could have just improved the psp version but instead had to make it artificially difficult.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Chapter 3+ and the new changes are terrible. Boss battles can be way overtuned. They spawn with 4 cards and my last one I was outnumbered on a tiny map and it could do 1,000 damage every turn. You can't level up, they are 1-3 levels higher and then you are praying for the rng cards.

Could have just improved the psp version but instead had to make it artificially difficult.
I haven't started the game yet since I'm close finishing Mario + Rabbits 2, but it wouldn't be bad idea if they done something similar to Odin Sphere Leifthrasir. That game also made lot of change to its gameplay but you also had option to play the classic mode which same gameplay style as PS2 version.

Needlecrash

Another gripe: training battles. Since this version of Tactics Ogre eliminates all random encounters, you have to do training battles; which only yields experience points. No goth (money), no spoils, no item drops. Which was a shit decision. Only way to get money is by story battles or selling items.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
The level caps before completing missions is a pain when all you want to do is grind out levels in training or random battles. Otherwise it’s awesome having this game again. I guess if you want to redo major missions later that that might pay off.

Xeaker

Dev1lXYZ

I’m just getting into Chapter 3 and am preparing for the worst! 😅
Maybe I shoulda concentrated on taming an Octo or Dragon in Chapter 2….
The AI has played most of the game and I had to turn it off for the boss battle.
I hope it holds up for Chapter 3! 😂

Last edited:

Deerock71

Having ordered this with a physical copy of the Atari 50 year celebration has unfortunately delayed getting this for another week. I cannot wait to have my strategic acumen ripped to pieces by my AI adversaries.

Graciaus

I’m just getting into Chapter 3 and am preparing for the worst! 😅
Maybe I shoulda concentrated on taming an Octo or Dragon in Chapter 2….
The AI has played most of the game and I had to turn it off for the boss battle.
I hope it holds up for Chapter 3! 😂
My advice is to just use the new systems and ignore old advice. The main thing is items are way better than healing magic and buffs/debuffs are killer. You can full heal for about $1,000 instead of a puny heal spell. Archers are pretty useless and ninjas don't just delete units. You might need to switch to a more tanky class at some points. Terror knights are extremely good.

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Finally started this up, man this soundtrack is god-tier 💯 Was just
betrayed by Vyce
, next few battles should be interesting. Loving the game though it confirms what I already knew, Matsuno's FFT is still the GOAT. Still, this is a great remaster, a lot of the character voices in particular are especially impressive.

Needlecrash

Finally started this up, man this soundtrack is god-tier 💯 Was just
betrayed by Vyce
, next few battles should be interesting. Loving the game though it confirms what I already knew, Matsuno's FFT is still the GOAT. Still, this is a great remaster, a lot of the character voices in particular are especially impressive.

No matter what decision you make, Vyce betrays you. You participate in the massacre? He leaves you but you can recruit him later, along with Ravness (as long as you don't KO her in battle). You decline to take part of the massacre, he kills Ravness, he gets executed and you fight him later as a Zombie. It's pretty cruel all around.

Yes, the soundtrack is fucking amazing. White Storm is one of the best tracks in the game. I'm PRAYING that if and when Final Fantasy Tactics gets a remaster/remake, that the soundtrack gets orchestrated too.

Last edited:

Graciaus

Finally beat it and it took waaay longer than I thought it would. Steam says 56 hours for the Law route. The final battle is annoying and I find the whole game artificially difficult at times due to new systems. Items are an absolute must now.

I hope they don't try and fix Final Fantasy Tactics when it is ported.

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
I'm a good way through chapter 3, it's been smooth sailing. Only did a couple of training battles for fun, otherwise haven't had an issue with character levels or gold, game seems really well balanced.

Finally got to the point where battles use all 12 slots. Still haven't had success recruiting a monster the few times I've tried. Brought them down to less than 10% HP, standing right next to them, success rate has never been more than 35% and with that I tried 5x in a row to no avail, I want me an Octopus! 🐙

Last edited:

Needlecrash

I want a Golem and an Octopus! I tried to recruit one but the percentage was around 3% or so. Considering I triple dipped, I am playing on the Law route on PS5/PC and Chaos on the Switch. Just got to Chapter 2 on all playthroughs.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I pissed at you fellow GAFers! It's your fault I bought this game. My entire experience playing (~2 hrs) has been putting my cursor on sprites to find out if they're friend or foe. This has been my face for the entire duration...

Jackie-Chan-WTF.jpg

Top Bottom