• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

T3 Editor: I tried PlayStation VR2 with Horizon at CES – it’s the ultimate PS5 upgrade

FalsettoVibe

Gold Member
Game Show Yes GIF by ABC Network

Crayon

That all sounds great. I'm still correcting for the fact that this is a really good set and people just might be getting the performance of the hardware conflated with the game being good.

People seemed to hate the circling combat system but I think it looks good. Smart solution. You could play regular horizon in vr with a controller and lakitu third person cam and that's one thing. Put it in first person and get hand presence and you are going to need to constrain that gameplay somehow.

Well, you don't have to but speaking as someone who was always mostly resistant to motion sickness, certain games would still fuck me up for a bit. It was the game's fault. I was able to play everything without motion sickness right off the baat including things like redout on the dk1 with dips under 60. Then 15 minutes into re7 and woof. Rigs, too. 5 second into the tutorial I jumped off a high thing and looked down. Woops. Pulled the thing right off my head.

All gameplay is constrained in some way. Making vr comfortable encourages constraints to speed, movement, and individual troublesome bits with a particular game. If the game was a little harder on the stomach, I could still handle it. They are considering people who need more comfort help. That doesn't mean it's gimped. That doesn't mean I'm short-changed. There is plenty of room to make good gameplay within limitations especially considering most of those limitations are self-imposed. It's called rules.

Nice to see some hype but only for the well heeled. I'm kinda tired of VR as I have 3 gathering dust so will wait for more novel and non tech demo experiences before jumping in again. I'll live vicariously through others for now. Shame there are no longer Blockbuster videos around to rent gear in a whim

Ozriel

M$FT
Please someone find me impressions from someone who tried this on with prescription glasses!!!

Thx

Hope the eye tracking stuff works with glasses too

Last edited:

Reallink

I finally got to watch the video and I see he's experienced with vr stuff. He wasn't talking so much about the quality of horizon as a game, but the performance of the set. I'm not surprised to hear good things. The spec is all right there. I'd rather have this than an index any day and that costs a lot more.

I should hope so, the Index is just shy of 4 years old and it's displays were middlingly unexceptional when it was new. PSVR2 should blow it out of the water at its price point as the majority of Index's cost is in its $300 laser trackers and $300 controllers.

Last edited:
I’m hoping that some clever clogs releases a PC driver for this too. I’ve got a bunch of VR games on PC that I’d like to revisit and with it being a USB-C I’m hoping that it’s relatively simple for someone out there to achieve. Makes it well worth the money in that case for me personally.

mckmas8808

Banned
I post a lot in these PSVR2 thread (negatively) but that's because I get frustrated knowing that Sony has the capability of producing a headset that will receive robust developer support but have done everything they can to ensure PSVR2 remains niche. Not a single tethered headset has broke out into mainstream success. The only mainstream VR product is the Meta Quest & you need a headset that can get to 20-30m units, so that developers can make money producing software on the platform. Meta Quest 2 is going to be the only game in town at this rate. Other than some initial launch support, Sony themselves aren't planning to support PSVR2, they're expecting indies to carry this wired, expensive headset.

Do you know how much money Facebook is losing selling the Meta Quest? I agree with you that 20 million units is that rounded figure that any platform needs to hit to be viable for devs to make money though.

mckmas8808

Banned
PlayStation-VR-2-2-1024x768.jpeg

The OLED display is one of the most impressive aspects of the PlayStation VR 2. Colours look incredibly vibrant, with rich detail thanks to the 2000 x 2040 per eye resolution – that’s almost just as pixel-packed as the $799 Vive Pro 2. As a result, I never noticed the screen door effect during the demo. And thanks to the graphical grunt of the PS5, the PSVR 2 is capable of displaying incredibly detailed worlds. Horizon Call of the Mountain is one of the best looking VR games I’ve ever played. This feels like a blockbuster PS5 title rather than a shallow VR experience.

The PSVR 2 supports advanced technology such as eye tracking, which makes menu navigation considerably easier than waving around a controller. I unfortunately didn’t notice this technology being used for in-game mechanics, but another upcoming VR game – The Dark Pictures: Switchback VR – will reportedly see enemies move every time you blink. It did take a bit of time to set up the eye-tracking technology however, as the PSVR 2 runs you through a couple of calibration tests to ensure pinpoint accuracy. You only need to set this up once, unless you’re passing it between friends which could then become a little bothersome.

I was impressed by how interactive the world was too. While in a boat, I was able to dip my hand into the river to cause ripples in the water, and push vines to the side to clear a path. The haptic feedback also provides little vibrations whenever your hand ever comes into contact with an in-game object to increase the level of immersion. The PlayStation VR 2 is one of the best VR headsets I’ve ever used. The high-resolution OLED display provides colourful and vibrant pictures, while the power of the PS5 can run highly detailed worlds with unprecedented levels of immersion. There’s also plenty of potential for features such as eye tracking and the haptic feedback. The high price will be a stumbling block for many, as will the requirement to be connected to a PS5. But if Sony is able to provide more experience as immersive and engaging as Horizon Call of the Mountain, then the PSVR 2 has the potential to overshadow even the PS5 console itself.

PlayStation-VR-2-9-1024x576.jpeg

Termite

Still waiting for that PS5 Slim. Hopefully when it comes out there'll be a Slim+VR2 bundle with $50-100 off.

Going to be hard to go back to wired, though. I'm imagining playing Walkabout Mini Golf on the original PSVR rather than the Quest 2 and I can imagine getting really frustrated. That game involves turning around a lot. Not having to worry about your legs getting tangled in a cable or pulling your expensive playstation from the shelf is a huge deal.

Crayon

I should hope so, the Index is just shy of 4 years old and it's displays were middlingly unexceptional when it was new. PSVR2 should blow it out of the water at its price point as the majority of Index's cost is in its $300 laser trackers and $300 controllers.

It's still my primary other option. You're right about those lighthouses. I can't believe how expensive they are. I love how well they work, though. People say the setup is a pain, but I never spent more than a couple minutes finding a place to set them down.

Reallink

IMO valve should throw them a bone and let somebody port it. Valve doing it themselves is probably asking too much but Sony has been furnishing Steam with their exclusives for a while now.

Not when Sony pays third parties to explicitly keep VR games off Steam, most notably Resident Evil. Valve would have to be the most retarded cuckiest cuck in the world to do that without Sony agreeing to some kinda quid pro quo. Which they clearly ain't doing considering Village and RE4 are also PS exclusive.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
A third party company are making lens inserts for psvr2, they make them for oculus and index, etc
PSVR1 I was able to play with the glasses on, but I will be looking into it if needed. I expect they will be pricey :/… still I am sure they will certify eye tracking works…? I hope so :/ those other headsets do not have eye tracking yet do they?

Not when Sony pays third parties to explicitly keep VR games off Steam, most notably Resident Evil. Valve would have to be the most retarded cuckiest cuck in the world to do that without Sony agreeing to some kinda quid pro quo. Which they clearly ain't doing considering Village and RE4 are also PS exclusive.

Where did this information come from?

FUD Influencers.

Seems weird that they would go out of their way to pay to keep VR games off steam, while simultaneously putting their big 1st party games on steam and giving their biggest VR competitor (Meta) games like Iron Man and Ghostbusters

The most likely scenario is like Meta, Sony paid for development of the RE7 VR modes and thats why its exclusive

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Seems weird that they would go out of their way to pay to keep VR games off steam, while simultaneously putting their big 1st party games on steam and giving their biggest VR competitor (Meta) games like Iron Man and Ghostbusters

The most likely scenario is like Meta, Sony paid for development of the RE7 VR modes and thats why its exclusive
That's exactly what it is. If PSVR never existed, nor would RE7 VR and beyond with that IP and VR.

Reallink

Where did this information come from?

The Capcom hack and Capcom/Sony themselves (iirc there were ads with asterisk fine print denoting a 1 year exclusivity window). And Sony paid them again when the original exclusivity agreement was set to expire, presumably making it permanent.

Last edited:
it better be when it cost £60 more than a PS5 :messenger_tears_of_joy:

for both a PS5 and PSVR2 you're looking at £1,000. a £530 accessory better bloody well be the ultimate upgrade.

I’m already exhausted by pc vr port begging, between the headset and the games

If there is any group of fanboys that feel entitled to game releases its pc gamers
out of curiousity what PSVR2 games, in your mind, are PC fanboys begging to be ported?

the only one i can think of is that Horizon one.

Last edited:

for both a PS5 and PSVR2 you're looking at £1,000. a £530 accessory better bloody well be the ultimate upgrade.

out of curiousity what PSVR2 games, in your mind, are PC fanboys begging to be ported?

the only one i can think of is that Horizon one.

Both resident evil games and PSVR2 itself. I would be able to pay for my PSVR2 if I had a dollar for every time someone said “man sony needs to make this PC compatible” or “I’d def pick this up if it was PC comparable sony is losing money”

And as far as VR experiences go the PSVR2 is the only high end device you’re gonna be able to get for under 1000 dollars. Its the cheapest device out that plays actual AAA games and most console gamers are going to eventually own a PS5 anyway.

They aren’t telling people to go buy a ps5 to play PSVR2 they are telling PS5 owners that instead of buying a second console just pick this up instead.

Last edited:

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Nah....VR makes me sick, literally. I have no desire to play something that is amazing, etc....if its going to make me want to hurl for an hour after i stop playing, no matter how great it is

midnightAI

And to get anywhere close to PSVR 2 game and headset quality you need a high end PC as well as the headset (even if it's a Quest 2), and how much does that cost?

Just face it, to get the quality of the PSVR 2 headset (headset specs and quality of games, especially first party) its the cheapest option by far.

Yes as I said, we can very reasonably surmise Sony reupped the agreement to likely lifetime exclusivity when they saw it was their only system seller.

Well, im glad you showed your hand cause you really have nothing here lol

This is the argument for every game sony has a marketing or timed exclusivity deal with not eventually being ported. Sony is apparently spending a lot of money on lifetime agreements for games that aren’t selling millions of copies.

RE7 isn’t even the best PSVR game

Reallink

Well, im glad you showed your hand cause you really have nothing here lol

This is the argument for every game sony has a marketing or timed exclusivity deal with not eventually being ported. Sony is apparently spending a lot of money on lifetime agreements for games that aren’t selling millions of copies.

RE7 isn’t even the best PSVR game

What are you even trying to argue here? I assume your first response/question was intended as a "gotcha", which I provided multiple receipts to. I mean I guess it's possible Capcom decided to extend an explicit 1 year agreement to permanence for unknown reasons, but it's certainly far more likely the party that paid for the exclusivity in the first place decided to pay more to extend the agreement. It's also curious that the sequels in question also appear to be exclusive to the party that paid for the prequel exclusivity. You're asking for a lot of coincidences here my guy.

Last edited:
What are you even trying to argue here? I assume your first response/question was intended as a "gotcha", which I provided multiple receipts to. I mean I guess it's possible Capcom decided to extend an explicit 1 year agreement to permanence for unknown reasons, but it's certainly far more likely the party that paid for the exclusivity in the first place decided to pay more to extend the agreement. It's also curious that the sequels in question also appear to be exclusive to the party that paid for the prequel exclusivity. You're asking for a lot of coincidences here my guy.

You really have no evidence to support anything you’re saying. Theres no proof of Sony ever “extending exclusivity” or “paying for permanent exclusivity” anywhere for any game. It’s just conjecture to cope with the idea of a company not bothering with porting a game to another another platform.

I could easily deduce that sony paid for timed exclusivity and provided resources and marketing, and after that deal was up Capcom simply decided its not worth the money to do the port, they got their return on the investment so they’re doing another similar deal for the next game.

These are just mutually beneficial working relationships, not conspiracy.

Last edited:

Reallink

You really have no evidence to support anything you’re saying. Theres no proof of Sony ever “extending exclusivity” or “paying for permanent exclusivity” anywhere for any game. It’s just conjecture to cope with the idea of a company not bothering with porting a game to another another platform.

I could easily deduce that sony paid for timed exclusivity and provided resources and marketing, and after that deal was up Capcom simply decided its not worth the money to do the port, they got their return on the investment so they’re doing another similar deal for the next game.

These are just mutually beneficial working relationships, not conspiracy.

It's possible, but the evidence we do have supports one of the hyptheticals and not the other. There is a clear through-line that can be followed on my claims. Unfortunately for your theory, we know Oculus has also thrown money at Capcom via RE4 VR and made thinly veiled accoladal statements on RE7 "hearing fan's" demands for PC ports. Again, while technically possible Oculus has not offered financial support or compensation "to make it worth their while", one scenario is far more likely than the other.

It's possible, but the evidence we do have supports one of the hyptheticals and not the other. There is a clear through-line that can be followed on my claims. Unfortunately for your theory, we know Oculus has also thrown money at Capcom via RE4 VR and made thinly veiled accoladal statements on RE7 "hearing fan's" demands for PC ports. Again, while technically possible Oculus has not offered financial support or compensation "to make it worth their while", one scenario is far more likely than the other.

Sleep Yawn GIF

None of this is based in reality, its just something you thought up because you can’t stand the fact the idea of Sony having access to big 3rd party exclusives. Its the same argument you all make in the FF7 threads

Ronin_7

Banned
Still waiting for that PS5 Slim. Hopefully when it comes out there'll be a Slim+VR2 bundle with $50-100 off.

Going to be hard to go back to wired, though. I'm imagining playing Walkabout Mini Golf on the original PSVR rather than the Quest 2 and I can imagine getting really frustrated. That game involves turning around a lot. Not having to worry about your legs getting tangled in a cable or pulling your expensive playstation from the shelf is a huge deal.
I've Cats, should be a fucking mess but the tech is absolutely incredible. Hope my cats don't fuck it up like they always do 🤦

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I can't remember, did they say they will have a 2d mode to play non vr games on this?

Top Bottom