• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

System Wars Wars

Which system war was best?

Atari 2600 v Intellivision
Atari 5200 v Colecovision
NES v SMS
SNES v Genesis
Gameboy v Lynx
Gameboy v Game Gear
PSX v Saturn
PSX v N64
PS2 v Dreamcast
PS2 v Xbox
PS2 v Gamecube
Gamecube v Xbox
DS v PSP
X360 v PS3

Vote! And give your reasons why your choice was the best system war!

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
SNES vs. Genesis, no contest. I didn't even give a shit at the time and you still heard about it.

Dreamcast vs. PS2 for about 10 minutes as the honorable mention.

A lot of it has to do with the fact that the companies and ad agencies even got in on it.

stewy

Genesis vs. SNES, mostly because that was the only time that one player didn't dominate the market.

Also the best time for games in general, imo.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
PSP vs DS.

because its the "Is nintendo really a beast in the handheld arena" test.

plus it's made nintendo go mad invent magic wands and stuff :D

VALIS

Yeah, it's gotta be SNES vs. Gen, but I'd like to throw in a "special achievement award" to Atari 2600 vs. Intellivision. Intellivision went right after Atari in all of their ads and commercials, playing up how much more sophisticated the games were and how much better the graphics were, even going as far as to enlist a celebrity (George Plimpton) as their Atari-bashing spokesman. That battle was hardcore.

I think SNES v Genesis, becuase it's oneof the few where I was seriously disinvested in either console. I didn't really care for console games of that period, at least not the popular ones.

Honorable mention: PSX v Saturn has a spot in my heart for all the pain it ultimately cause all the closed-minded, "old-school" gamers who were dead-set against any kind of change in their viedogame world, when I was all for a change to something better. PSX v N64 had a similarly satisfying feel to it.

Tiktaalik

edit: totally misinterpreted this post.

SNES vs Genesis was great because it was so close, and I was at the age where everyone could only own ONE, so it actually felt like it really mattered.

N64 vs PSX was pretty good too, but I think all N64 owners knew that the PSX actually was better, so it didn't make the battle as good.

GitarooMan said:
I agree, by far the winner, probably mostly because it was relatively even in sales in the US so the intensity ratcheted up even more...

Yeah, plus with no message boards around, you could argue without trolling or owl pics getting in the way.

God I miss those days.

Prine

Banned
SNES vs Megadrive

I remember laughing at my Megadrive owning friends, with no Street Fighter....a year later i was pwned :(

another vote for SNES vs. Genesis. Each company was really trying to 'up' the other one at every corner- secret weapons were thrown into the mix that would tilt the scale (i.e. SFII as a SNES exclusive at first, MK1 having blood and fatalities for Genesis) and because of that a lot of fantastic games came out through the whole generation.

Even though I'm currently not ready for the next gen, I really wasn't ready for the Saturn and PS1 in 1994/1995. I got my first PS1 at the tail end of 1996... wasn't even concerned with getting one before hand because of the SNES games still coming out.

jgkspsx

First place: SNES v Genesis... yeah, this was the one that actually influenced the formation of social groups in my middle and high schools.

Second place: PSX v N64... just for the nonsensical arguments between normally sane people in rgv*.

Third place: DS v PSP... annoying trolling abounds, but the war is caused by the fact that both systems kick ass in their own unique ways.

The common thread in all the above wars? Truly great software on both sides.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Commodore 64 vs Apple II
Commodore Amiga vs Atari ST

Those were dark and bloody days, they were.

iapetus said:
Ah, the infamous battle for second place to the BBC Micro. An intriguing choice...
The wha? :lol :p

1) SNES v Genesis - Two great libraries, fairly close in specs, SNES had Nintendo first party, but Genesis had EA Sports.
2) Atari 5200 v Colecovision - Two great libraries, fairly close in specs, 5200 had Atari first party (which was good back then), ColecoVision has a larger library with overlooked classics.
3) Gameboy v Game Gear - GG killed on specs, but Nintendo name led the masses to drink their Kool-Aide instead.
4) PS2 v Dreamcast - Sony's hype got everyone to discount great Sega entry.
5) PSX v N64
6) PSX v Saturn - Horrible Sega launch led to disappointment even amoung fans.
7) PS2 v Xbox (tie) PS2 v Gamecube - The PS2 was such the 500 lb gorrilla that fighting over which was best was pointless.
9) Gamecube v Xbox - Two groups of fans couldn't be more different.
10) DS v PSP - Little overlap in target demographics, and the functional differences between the systems seems to be keeping the fanbois at home.
11) Atari 2600 v Intellivision (tie) NES v SMS (tie) Gameboy v Lynx - The other platform was a no-show. Although really, the match-up should be 2600 v Odyssey2 and Intellivision vs ColecoVision/5200, neither of which would crack the top 10.

n/a) X360 v PS3 - So early, it's all based on hype. So basicly, everyone's full of shit.

Top Bottom