• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

System Shock Remake New Gameplay Trailer Revealed

CitizenZ

Banned
Deserves better, I mean this is a classic title in gameplay and design that thousands have copied. This update needed to be equal to The Callisto protocol. Im sure it will be fine but just disappointed.

Last edited:

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Aging Matt Damon GIF

Deserves better, I mean this is a classic title in gameplay and design that thousands have copied. This update needed to be equal to The Callisto protocol. Im sure it will be fine but just disappointed.
Where are those thousands of games that copied the gameplay and design of System Shock?

Ogbert

Is this a remake?

I liked the game when I played it decades ago, but it goes batshit crazy about half way through and I’m not sure it would hold up today.

Graphically it looks like it was developed for last gen but was unfortunately delayed too much. Regardless it's System Shock so I'll be happy to play it when it releases.

You mean story driven narrative FPS shooter? Too many to name.
Is this for real?
Alien: Isolation, SOMA, Bioshock, Prey (2017), Deus Ex, and many more.
System Shock, like almost every Looking Glass Studios title, has been a massive influence on the industry.
Yeah, they're influential. You won't find me arguing against that, I'm probably the biggest Looking Glass fanboy on this board. But I don't think being influenced by a game (either directly or indirectly) is the same thing as copying that game, and there are of course plenty of shooters out there that are nothing like System Shock in terms of gameplay and design, even though they're clearly narrative-driven (think games like Jedi Knight, Spec Ops: The Line, or Call of Juarez: Gunslinger).

Games that explicitly copy System Shock in terms of design and gameplay do exist, of course, and you've named a good chunk of them, but yeah... there aren't thousands of them, unless you set the bar so low that any shooter with a story will count. Hell, maybe not even then.

YuLY

I saw in the trailer there were a few moments where a futuristic city is shown , is that area actually playable? does anyone who played the original know this? I thought the entire game was on a space station, would be really cool if we had some playable sections in that city also.

KcQkdzU.png

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I saw in the trailer there were a few moments where a futuristic city is shown , is that area actually playable? does anyone who played the original know this? I thought the entire game was on a space station, would be really cool if we had some playable sections in that city also.

KcQkdzU.png

No, that’s most likely New Atlanta. The city from the intro. Cinematic only.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Looks so damn good. Really excited.

Kids these days have no respect for history.
Well, where are those thousands of games, then? And where do you draw the line? Is any single player shooter released after 1994 with a narrative more complex than "find all the keys, get to the end of the level" automatically going to be guilty of having "copied" System Shock?

Would Halo count? How would you prove that the narrative elements in that game were "copied" from System Shock rather than, say, Bungie's own Marathon series or its predecessor Pathways Into Darkness, a game that shares a ton of features with the first System Shock (free travel between interconnected levels, an inventory system, a narrative relying heavily on messages left by dead NPCs) but released a year earlier in 1993?

Rickyiez

Glad they ditched Unity . I don't care about whatever graphical comparison from the engine change but one thing for damn sure is that Unity always manage to run like crap .

Last edited:

They should have just taken more liberties with the attacking animations and attacking reactions since they took liberties changing a ton of other things. I'll still play it but it feels like one foot in the door one foot out. Even if they upset older fans a little hopefully it will be polished enough for those new to the franchise to enjoy.

Top Bottom