• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

System Shock remake is coming in 2022

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The System Shock remake we've all been patiently waiting for will arrive in 2022 by way of a partnership between Nightdive Studios and Prime Matter, a division of Koch Media that formed last year. To commemorate the deal, Nightdive has dropped more than a dozen new screens showcasing the dimly lit horrors of Shodan's first adventure.

This is Nightdive's first external publishing deal, and it represents "an important step in the growth of Nightdive Studios," CEO Stephen Kick said. "It will allow us to offer System Shock to fans all over the world, both in digital and physical goods formats, as well as fully honour our commitments to our fans and, in particular, to our thousands of supporters on Kickstarter, without whom this game would have never been possible.”

Terri Brosius, the original voice of Shodan, is returning for the remake, and Nightdive says it has worked closely with other members of the original System Shock development team as well.

tUPQ7JGjywUYaGb53wawdk-1280-80.jpg
mcGcPcpjCPE544aLs78YNn-1280-80.jpg
xpFpSLzBLYywQxhXsgbL7n-1280-80.jpg

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Certainly hoped so, really excited to play this. To say SS1 is dated is putting it lightly. Probably do this then SS2 straight after.

Barakov

The System Shock remake we've all been patiently waiting for will arrive in 2022 by way of a partnership between Nightdive Studios and Prime Matter, a division of Koch Media that formed last year. To commemorate the deal, Nightdive has dropped more than a dozen new screens showcasing the dimly lit horrors of Shodan's first adventure.

This is Nightdive's first external publishing deal, and it represents "an important step in the growth of Nightdive Studios," CEO Stephen Kick said. "It will allow us to offer System Shock to fans all over the world, both in digital and physical goods formats, as well as fully honour our commitments to our fans and, in particular, to our thousands of supporters on Kickstarter, without whom this game would have never been possible.”

Terri Brosius, the original voice of Shodan, is returning for the remake, and Nightdive says it has worked closely with other members of the original System Shock development team as well.

tUPQ7JGjywUYaGb53wawdk-1280-80.jpg
mcGcPcpjCPE544aLs78YNn-1280-80.jpg
xpFpSLzBLYywQxhXsgbL7n-1280-80.jpg
cBuVr7c.gif

ACESHIGH

Banned
I preordered this on steam. One of the few games I preordered, hopefully it does not dissapoint. The source material is amazing and the demo looked great.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
when in 2022 though?
The PC beta is in early 2022. But the whole thing is pushed back seemingly moslty for the sake of a multiplat launch.

This remakes has been delayed so many times, I try to put it out of my mind until it has a solid date. It does seem to have benefited a lot from the extra time, though. I am also somewhat glad to hear they are moving to a simultaneous multiplatform launch, as well, as the most recent beta I played had fairly poorly thought out joypad controls and you still needed the keyboard for some things. So I'm happy they will have this worked out by launch.

Last edited:
Certainly hoped so, really excited to play this. To say SS1 is dated is putting it lightly. Probably do this then SS2 straight after.
SS2 is getting a remaster soon-ish so I doubt they'll be remaking that one in the foreseeable future.

System Shock is great but I've applied like dozen of patches to vanila game to make it playable. Hope Night Dive will make a good job reintroducing it to modern audience.

One by one the games on my 2021 release list are slowly being confirmed as 2022. Just gotta figure out what's happening with the Rise of the Triad Remaster and PS4 World End Economica and I can put 2021 to rest.

On topic, I love the aesthetic of System Shock and have heard about it since original release basically, but never played it for some reason (I did play 2 though). Really, really looking forward to this.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
SS2 is getting a remaster soon-ish so I doubt they'll be remaking that one in the foreseeable future.

Aye, sorry, I meant I'll probably play the SS2 remaster straight afterwards if it's there.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

It's been a long road to get to this point from the 2016 Kickstarter, but System Shock is now "pretty much complete," in the words of Nightdive's Larry Kuperman, and headed into its final months of polish leading up to a release later this year. "Every level's here, every enemy is in place, every weapon is in place," Kuperman told me in a demo at this year's Game Developers Conference. It's playable from start-to-finish and going through QA now.

"Bug fixing is that last foray into the depths of hell" before it's truly done, Kuperman said.

The System Shock remake's six year journey included a 2018 U-turn, when Nightdive decided it was changing too much from the original game. "We tried to stay very true to canon. That was something that was really important to us, that our core audience who are fans of System Shock can look at this and go 'yes, this is what I was looking for. It's the game that I know, but with polish.'"

Where Nightdive touched System Shock's design, the changes have been minor: streamlining the number of grenades into a multi-function grenade, for example. "Every person on the team has invested hours and hours into how the original gameplay worked, but we also want to make sure this has a modern feel," Kuperman said. That meant adding touches like multiple reload animations for each weapon and messages that flicker across the screens of Citadel Station's CRT monitors.

Nightdive plans to release a beta build to Kickstarter backers when it's stable and has gone through a thorough QA process. For now, let's look at some weapons in beautiful gif form.

Top Bottom