• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

System Shock remake boss praises the Resi 2 remake for revitalising horror games

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Speaking to VGC, Nightdive CEO Stephen Kick said he couldn’t pinpoint the exact reason the sci-fi horror genre was enjoying a comeback, but mentioned Capcom‘s 2019 release as a main factor.

“I’m a really big fan of Dead Space, so I was psyched to see they’re remaking the first one,” Kick told us. “Callisto Protocol looks amazing, and of course we’ve got System Shock and like you say, they’re coalescing around the same time.

“I’m very happy to see it. Sci-fi horror is probably my favourite genre, so I’m always looking out for stuff like that, but I couldn’t tell you why right now, more than ever, we’re seeing kind of an influx in that. Maybe people are just getting tired of fantasy.

“It’s like an ebb and flow, right? You’ve got your World of Warcrafts and your Everquests in the 2000s, and then it kind of moved towards sci-fi, and then went back to fantasy, and now we’re back to sci-fi again. You’d have to kind of look at the history.

“But the thing that really surprises me is that traditionally horror sci-fi games didn’t sell that well, but I think with the advent of some of the more recent remasters, specifically the Resident Evil games, there’s been a huge influx in people just wanting to play horror.

“Resident Evil 2 did such a wonderful job, they really set the bar of what a remake should be, and it sold incredibly well. And I think that had to have been a major factor in why we’re seeing Dead Space being remade.

“I mean, Dead Space was a response to Resident Evil 4 when that first came out, so history is repeating itself.”

Kuranghi

I can't wait to get my 4080 just to finally be able to play RE2R and RE3R at max settings, 4K60 locked, will also have a peek at 8K30 but I believe the engine isn't really optimised to run at that kind of resolution so the issues that occur at 4K60 on a 10 or 20 series will be much worse, you'd need some massive overhead, but maybe lowering volumetric lighting and shadows from max would be enough to keep. I played through RE3R at 8K and it was just mind bogglingly clean and beautiful, but cutscenes ran at 10-15fps :messenger_tears_of_joy: Fuck, whoops... semi off-topic nerd rant!

I keep forgetting RE4R is a thing too, can't wait to see more of that.

I have the "recent" demo for SS installed, but haven't tried it yet, I'm told its basically just the old one though. I remember playing the original back then but I wasn't into games like that back then so it didn't work for me and I was too young to get to grips with it.

Apocryphon

Alien Isolation and RE7 too I guess, though RE2 is phenomenal. I'm playing RE4 HD on the Steam Deck atm and hoping that the remake is up to RE2 standard. RE3 was mostly disappointing and felt like a missed opportunity.

Ezquimacore

Banned
That would be Resident Evil 7
giphy.gif

Alien Isolation and Resident Evil 7 may have saved us from the endless Amnesia: The Dark Descent clones and asset flips, but I wished the had more new games complementing the remakes we're getting lately.

Top Bottom