• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switching Sides Sony, MS, Nintendo -- What would make you get the others, or another?

Honestly, let's discuss what we think would make us buy the other consoles, or change your "main" if you have more than one per gen.

Let's start with me, a huge Sony fan for many years now (owned both Nintendo and xbox consoles in the past)
Xbox: if MS starts to release amazing self contained Single Player games (that are of interest to me anyway).
Nintendo: I would like a Switch "PRO" that has a CPU similar to Apple's M1, comes with a regular controller (I don't care for the small ones, and buying a PRO controller as well as the console makes the purchase senseless to me).

That's it for me, keep it positive (tell what you would like to be fixed, no need to insult anyone).

LordOfChaos

I find it hard to care about Nintendo platformers, but I am interested in Metroid 4 and BoTW 2.

M1 is way, way too high a bar for a Switch Pro that's going to lead to disappointment tbh, and MORE so on the CPU side than the GPU side. I'd content myself with 649 GFLOPS (TX1+) + DLSS for upscaling, if Switch-like titles render at 900-1080p internally that would still look pretty good with DLSS upscaling to 4K. Nintendo is never as at the forefront as we would like, but DLSS would be a god tier upgrade for their platform.

Last edited:

Athena~

Banned
That's it for me, keep it positive (tell what you would like to be fixed, no need to insult anyone).
Switched to PC because of Sony turning into an authoritarian censoring woketard

How to fix it? Stop being an idiotic SJW woketard

Fbh

Currently own a Ps4 and Switch, though I use the Ps4 like 10X as much as the Switch.

To change my main for next gen:

-MS: Release more exclusives that interest me than Sony (more good single player games). Get comparable support to Sony/Nintendo from Japanese developers, things have been getting better with the likes of Dragon Quest and Yakuza coming to XB1/SX, but it still feels like it's not quite up there with the other.

-Nintendo: Release a system that's strong enough to play third party games with decent visuals/performance, release more exclusives that I care about than Sony, adopt a pricing model for games that's more like the rest of the industry, with price drops, good sales and budget games priced like budget games and not full price.

Last edited:

Sethbacca

I have Sony/Nintendo, the only way I'd consider adding MS to the mix is if I gave up on having a capable PC. There is literally no reason to own an MS console if you have a gaming PC IMO. The few exclusives MS has aren't compelling enough for me to really care about them. I do like Killer Instinct though.

Last edited:

kunonabi

My main will probably remain the same as my primary last gen was the WiiU and current gen will be a switch assuming they finally release a competent hardware revision for it.

Secondary console will possibly be a switch from PS to xbox if I decide to get one. I'm done supporting Sony's gaming division and the BC stuff from Xbox is really enticing since my 360 died.

Rolla

Banned
Games. That's all it comes down to. If a console has IP I feel I need to play then I'll be there. Day 1.

I don't care about what the gaming CEO has to say. I don't care about the leaderships most recent PR. I give even less thought about specs of a machine. Just create great IP and the gamer in me will need to play it.

Last edited:
As a SEGA fan that does not give a crap at all about the 3, i would say changing Nintendo and MS fan bases... it won't happen, so never will i buy again one of their hardwares.

But i have other reasons, including licences i don't care at all like Mario 3d, Zelda 3d, Metroid 3d... Nintendo should go back to 2d and the spirit of the 90's to win me back. It will never happen.

Last edited:

TBiddy

I enjoy my X1X, but I'm targeting the PS5. I was planning to get the digital version, but I'm probably gonna wait a few years. Hopefully there'll be a much smaller edition by then.

It all comes down to games and price.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Games, that’s only thing that will make me buy a system. I bought 360 before PS3 because it simply had more games that I enjoy more than early days of PS3.

Last edited:

KO7

I have a XsX and couldn’t secure a PS5 preorder. Planning to hold off until a PS5 Slim is available but what would make me make the jump sooner would be a Ghost of Tsushima PS5 remake/sequel and/or the next Capcom Street Fighter being a PS5 exclusive.

I already have a bit of post-decision dissonance mostly due to the new PlayStation controller being revolutionary for immersion and interactivity.

Already on board with Playstation and Nintendo, so it's just Xbox, and they just need to make great exclusives again.

They just need to get their management in order, focus on delivering great, fun games made with a vision beyond just making money with as little effort as possible.

Also stop the 'everything also releases on PC' thing.

Yes, people who don't want a console get to play the games too, which makes a bit of sense on paper given that MS also make Windows, but not only does that undermine game development, dividing resources by making every game multiplatform, it completely removes the reason 1st party games exist, which is to sell your own hardware and get people in your ecosystem.

I just cannot see a reason to own an Xbox ever again.

Maybe I’m a naive peasant but I just don’t believe you even need to pick “a side” in all this. Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony all offer gaming products/avenues that I enjoy and interest me.

I love my PS5, I can’t wait to hopefully land a Series X one day.

The Switch is awesome but doesn’t occupy/share the same headspace that PS5, PC, and Series X do for me. For my typical usage it kinda lives in its own bubble.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
If I was on a budget and could only pick one, I'd buy an XSS or X and get Game Pass, no question.

Not being on a budget means I have everything except those.

I switched from traditional consoles to Oculus. Many people switched from consoles to mobile, or never had consoles to begin with. Some few are already streaming from a variety of services.

Playstation was my house for the past 25 years but I don't like where they're heading. Nintendo was cool when I was younger. Xbox looks useless.

that's about it

Last edited:
I will stay with Playstation + PC.
Nintendo is on my absolute boycott list with Apple.
Xbox has a chance if it gets good exclusives again... I don't want GP. (No time for mediocre games, will curate my games library myself)

kretos

Banned
Exclusives, i owned all Sony consoles but i also had gamecube, wii, xbox360 because of good exclusives

might also get a switch by the end of it's cycle because i'm not willing to pay full price for 3-4 yo games, i'm not a sucker

exN98XM.png

I find it hard to care about Nintendo platformers, but I am interested in Metroid 4 and BoTW 2.

M1 is way, way too high a bar for a Switch Pro that's going to lead to disappointment tbh, and MORE so on the CPU side than the GPU side. I'd content myself with 649 GFLOPS (TX1+) + DLSS for upscaling, if Switch-like titles render at 900-1080p internally that would still look pretty good with DLSS upscaling to 4K. Nintendo is never as at the forefront as we would like, but DLSS would be a god tier upgrade for their platform.
While I agree, the main pain point for me is the controller + price/perf ratio.

-Arcadia-

Banned
For most of last gen, I picked. Not a lot different between all of them, until the Switch and the refreshes happened. I wanted an Xbox for a few games, but couldn’t justify it for years on years.

Now, it’s completely different. I feel like they all have their own appeal. Switch is obvious, and has been repeated enough times. PS5 has an amazing controller and good exclusives. Series X has GamePass, BC, and one hopes, soon enough, good exclusives of its own. Series S has that and a wonderful price tag.

I’d feel like I was missing out if I didn’t buy all of them.

Last edited:

drganon

Already on the Nintendo and sony trains. I'd only consider getting an xbox if they bought someone like sega ( next Wednesday), but even then they'd probably end up porting the games to the pc anyway, it'd probably motivate me to finally get a decent pc.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
owned every Playstation since 1995. got an Xbox Series X because:

1. more powerful hardware
2. more exclusive games that i want to play - Microsoft 8 - 2 Sony
3. gamepass
4. better backwards compatability - sony only has PS4 games. xbox has every xbox generation.

only reason i'd get a PS5 is to play my PS4 games and those 2 games which are Demons Souls + Horizon Forbidden West

Last edited:
I had a PS4, I have a switch.... And I went xbox this gen. Its pretty easy to get me to switch.

Bathesda and gamepass made me switch this gen. I'm sure I'll get a Ps5 when games like god of war and new naughty dog games drop

Eternal21

The only way I would switch from Sony to any other console, is if Naughty Dog became exclusive to that platform.

Don't currently have a PS5, Series X/S or Switch. Will likely get a PS5 first tho, followed by the Switch when I start to get bored of the PSVita as a handheld or the WiiU for Ninty at home. Xbox kinda shot themselves in the foot for me when they decided to put their exclusives on PC as well. If you're rocking a 2080ti/3070 then you will at the very least be playing the Microsoft exclusives as good as a Series X, so why buy one? Gamepass I have no interest in & I still have an OG Xbox/ X360 that plays all the games for the systems, not just the handful that are BC compatible on One/S/X. Microsoft got their work cut out for them I guess :messenger_grinning_sweat:

sandkiller

I have PS4 and Switch. Might buy Series X if the exclusives are good (waiting for 2021 releases) and if Genshin Impact comes to XBOX ^_^

Top Bottom