• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch worldwide sales top 79.87 million

MrA

Banned
AC' sales have slowed down significantly, which is normal considering the absurdly high sales it did the first months.
It only sold 1 million more than Mario Kart last quarter and this will keep on decreasing.

Both are doing exceptionally well !
mario kart was bundled this quater, fairly extensively too,
but animal crossing will need to slow down as this year was absolutely crazy, this year is going to be a tall order to top.

Kenpachii

I don't find it impressive. Its 2 markets in one it was always going to attract more sales because of it then 1 device in 1 market.

They basically funneled there entire handheld market into the console space or the other way around for example.

Honestly with corona and the absolute disaster of PS5 scalpers and PC hardware jumping up in price i would expect that thing to sell a whole lot more by now.

Last edited:

Sony4theWin

Neo Member
Congratulations Nintendo on such a massively successful quarter!! I'm so happy to see the Switch sell so incredibly well. It should comfortably pass the PS4 in the end and I predict PS5 will have no chance at reaching Nintendo Switch due to Switch absorbing many previously traditionally Playstation favored franchises such as Atelier, Ys, Trails, visual novels that have fallen out of favor with Playstation due to Sony censorship policy, and possibly even MLB The Show. It has been eating into the Japanese game niche Playstation previously held which should transition more Japanese game fans to Nintendo Switch.

UnNamed

Banned
80millions, 20millions a year, means more than PS4 sales which had a cap of 20M but it was 16/17 millions on average.

Nintendo can surpass 100M easily and avoid the Wii effect, which had a huge break after reaching its 100M. Nintendo could also completely replace the 3DS with a very affordable Switch Lite revision before launching a Switch 2, to extend Switch lifetime as a product for kids and sold even more units. There are many chance Switch could surpass PS2 in sales.

MrA

Banned
shit, well done Nintendo!

they could eventually outsell the PS4 easily lol.
easily is still a tall order, depends on how quickly the ps4 dies of (If it holds another 3 years, another 20 million units isn't out of the question, if it drops faster then it gets easier)
plus Nintendo can't rest on their laurels like they were all too happy to with the wii,

martino

if switch pro is a thing and bringing a high rez solution.
imagine how many will want to change for it....it's 80 millions without that kind of move....

Mr Moose

Here is the updated million-sellers list:
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 33.41 million
Animal Crossing: New Horizons – 31.18 million
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – 22.85 million
Zelda: Breath of the Wild – 21.45 million
Pokemon Sword/Shield – 20.35 million
Super Mario Odyssey – 20.23 million
Super Mario Party – 13.82 million
Pokemon: Let’s Go, Pikachu / Eevee – 13.00 million
Splatoon 2 – 11.90 million
New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe – 9.82 million
Luigi’s Mansion 3 – 9.13 million
Ring Fit Adventure – 8.68 million
Super Mario 3D All-Stars – 8.32 million
Super Mario Maker 2 – 6.91 million
Paper Mario: The Origami King – 3.05 million
Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity – 2.84 million (overseas)
Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics – 2.62 million
Pikmin 3 Deluxe – 1.94 million
Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition – 1.48 million
Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit – 1.08 million
mario_kart_pie_chart.jpg

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
easily is still a tall order, depends on how quickly the ps4 dies of (If it holds another 3 years, another 20 million units isn't out of the question, if it drops faster then it gets easier)
plus Nintendo can't rest on their laurels like they were all too happy to with the wii,
well looking at it the PS4 came out over 7 years ago and the Switch is almost 4 and matched 70.5% of PS4 sales. PS4 will not be selling much over the next 3 years. Switch we know has still a lot of good titles coming, new hardware revisions, maybe a new product category, and potentially a price cut.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I really hope a Pro model is launched. Nintendo will go for another three years easy with a Switch Pro

I don't find it impressive. Its 2 markets in one it was always going to attract more sales because of it then 1 device in 1 market.

They basically funneled there entire handheld market into the console space or the other way around for example.

Honestly with corona and the absolute disaster of PS5 scalpers and PC hardware jumping up in price i would expect that thing to sell a whole lot more by now.

At full price it's going to outsell the combined hardware totals of 3DS and Wii U by the middle of the year. It has already far surpassed the combined software totals of both. It's had many shortages throughout it's lifetime including the middle half of 2020 and still has at least a few more years to sell.

You were expecting a lot more?

MagnesG

Banned
We're seeing PS4 sales numbers dropping sharply after PS5 launched though, much much lower than the usual standards.

NahaNago

Now the question comes to when we will get the switch pro. Nintendo can easily sell tons of switches while the ps5 and xsx are struggling with supply issues. The next question then will be when will Switch 2 come out. Does it come out in 2022 or 2023. The later they release a new console the more closer in power the switch 2 will become and be able to easily get ps5 ports.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Expected more goalposts moving and mental gymnastics in the first 2 pages. Still, what we actually got so far is egregious, lol.

Haters still have to provide any shred of evidence that the Switch’s success is jeopardizing their favourite platform that isn’t made by Nintendo in any way. That’d at least provide some justification for the vitriol.

Anyway, impressive run for a machine that I myself am far from being fully satisfied of. Switch as a platform has ample room for improvement, and to be honest, the Super Mario 3D collection may be the only “big” first party release I got in 2020, with the rest of the year being filled by smaller titles.

A significant hardware upgrade (significant in Nintendo terms, of course) would have me open my wallet with very little remorse, I’ll wager.

Kataploom

Gold Member
We're seeing PS4 sales numbers dropping sharply after PS5 launched though, much much lower than the usual standards.
Not to mention that PS4 basically stop being produced to favor PS5 production.

PS4 died quickly, quicker than any other Sony console after the succesor came out.

Switch is gonna still surpass PS4 in total sales in less than two years, unless something happens.

Ogbert

shit, well done Nintendo!

they could eventually outsell the PS4 easily lol.

Without doubt.

1) People are buying more than one switch
2) People that own other consoles or PCs are buying the switch - it's in its own market, without competition (other than mobile)
3) Appeals to the widest demographic; kids, women and traditional gamers

Andyliini

I did not mention this on my original software update post, but Pikmin 3 Deluxe is not the best-selling Pikmin game ever. Also, if you combine sales from Wii U and Switch, Mario Kart 8 has outsold Mario Kart Wii, making it the best selling game of its franchise.

breaking all records, including the longest time waiting for Metroid, Star Fox, F-Zero, a worthwhile Mario game

but hey, with so much profit from their casual line for kids, they surely have money to spare to invest in their hardcore line, huh?

Kenpachii

At full price it's going to outsell the combined hardware totals of 3DS and Wii U by the middle of the year. It has already far surpassed the combined software totals of both. It's had many shortages throughout it's lifetime including the middle half of 2020 and still has at least a few more years to sell.

You were expecting a lot more?

Gamer markets are way bigger, way more gamers then ever before. And is growing massively while we are at it. and what are the sales of there only product really at this point the switch? 90m.

How many gamers do we have? 3 billion. that's what 1 out of the 35+ that has a nintendo product? today?

What was it when the wii/ds came out? 1 out of the 5 or something.

U find that impressive.

Look i didn't expect the switch to sell much more either then a DS would. the combined markets would probably give it a boost in sales as we see but even then will it overtake the DS? a 17 year old product in a market far smaller?in the next 3 years? doubtful.

MagnesG

Banned
Gamer markets are way bigger, way more gamers then ever before. And is growing massively while we are at it. and what are the sales of there only product really at this point the switch? 90m.

How many gamers do we have? 3 billion. that's what 1 out of the 35+ that has a nintendo product? today?

What was it when the wii/ds came out? 1 out of the 5 or something.

U find that impressive.

Look i didn't expect the switch to sell much more either then a DS would. the combined markets would probably give it a boost in sales as we see but even then will it overtake the DS? a 17 year old product in a market far smaller?in the next 3 years? doubtful.
Where did you find this 3 billions gamer numbers btw? Does it includes mobile games?

AJUMP23

Do they count MK8 attachment with all the switches that got that game as a pack in. Because I would assume MK8 has about an 80% attach rate.

John2290

It's crazy how good this system is, my only regret is I didn't buy it sooner and I didn't stretch for the OG system. I love the Lite, it's great and I've no intention of playing on the TV anyway but I could do with an extra hour battery life, three to four hours a day is my max play time for games anyway but it'd be great to have just an extra hour or two should I wake up early or a AAA game/online functions run it down under the three hour mark which has happened and is infuriating, I'll need to buy a normal switch in the Summer when I'll have to raise the brightness anyway but hopefully, I'm gonna buy a pro should they release one, as some games like that Age of Calamity definitely need better hardware.

I had a bit of a vendetta against nintendo for locking saves to the hardware outside of the online service and stayed away from this thing, I never quite understood the idea of the system from borrowing it or playing in one off sessions but now I finally get it and games I didn't understand and would have labeled a solid 7 like BoTW make sense with extended play, even that god awful weapon degredation has a purpose in the over arching scheme of the game... it's still shit, but less so and the JRPG exclusive like Fire emblem as so damn good, it's everything I wanted in that type of game short of throwing an overmap on top and adding in some grand strategy and maybe light RTS elements. I'm loving how every game (I've tried so far) has a japanese voice option so you can avoid the awful dubs or play a game that might be be out of ones style and change it where it counts, imagining something more mature or turn off the wall, anime style shit like Astral chain into something that is more tolerable while getting to enjoy the core gameplay.

It's a system that solves burn out by it's nature and it's AAA exclusives are designed so you can put them down for a month, pick it back up and have a fifteen minute session or a three hour session and still get the same experience and fun. It's perfect. Now if only I had the balls to hook up a third party battery pack or battery case, to the thing it'd be the best handheld system hands down.

10/10 system even if just using it as a handheld, with a little stain on the battery life and having no LITE XL option to rectify that.

Last edited:

John2290

Do they count MK8 attachment with all the switches that got that game as a pack in. Because I would assume MK8 has about an 80% attach rate.
I'd highly doubt it there are too many people buying this system to play solo, it's not a wii situation. MK8 isn't getting anywhere near 80%.

Orta

Banned

go-away.gif

Mozza

Not to mention that PS4 basically stop being produced to favor PS5 production.

PS4 died quickly, quicker than any other Sony console after the succesor came out.

Switch is gonna still surpass PS4 in total sales in less than two years, unless something happens.

The PS4 sold a lot better than the PS3, and is only behind the mighty PS2 in terms of sales, pretty decent considering you now have two major players competing for that market.

Kataploom

Gold Member
The PS4 sold a lot better than the PS3, and is only behind the mighty PS2 in terms of sales, pretty decent considering you now have two major players competing for that market.
Yet Sony killed it quick, IIRC even before the PS5 launched, no more PS4 are being produced outside some specific SKU in limited batches, different to PS2, which was on the factory for around 13 or 14 years.

Woopah

What an absolute juggernaut. I guess it's safe to say at this point that Switch will probably end up being the best-selling console of this generation despite PS4's 3+ year headstart?
PS4's headstart doesn't really mean anything when we talk lifetime sales, but yes Switch will likely by higher than it in 2 years' time.
Yet Sony killed it quick, IIRC even before the PS5 launched, no more PS4 are being produced outside some specific SKU in limited batches, different to PS2, which was on the factory for around 13 or 14 years.
I'm guessing it's because they have limited manufacturing capacity. A huge proportion of PS2's sales came after the launch of its successor, and that will absolutely not be the case with the PS4

scydrex

Here is the updated million-sellers list:
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 33.41 million
Animal Crossing: New Horizons – 31.18 million
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – 22.85 million
Zelda: Breath of the Wild – 21.45 million
Pokemon Sword/Shield – 20.35 million
Super Mario Odyssey – 20.23 million
Super Mario Party – 13.82 million
Pokemon: Let’s Go, Pikachu / Eevee – 13.00 million
Splatoon 2 – 11.90 million
New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe – 9.82 million
Luigi’s Mansion 3 – 9.13 million
Ring Fit Adventure – 8.68 million
Super Mario 3D All-Stars – 8.32 million
Super Mario Maker 2 – 6.91 million
Paper Mario: The Origami King – 3.05 million
Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity – 2.84 million (overseas)
Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics – 2.62 million
Pikmin 3 Deluxe – 1.94 million
Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition – 1.48 million
Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit – 1.08 million

A lot of people who owns a Switch own those games. Anything else to play on Switch beside those games or old ports?

Last edited:
Top Bottom