• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch was the "Pandora's Box" to Handheld Gaming PCs. How does Nintendo make Switch Pro not seem dated upon release?

Xellos

Nintendo/Nvidia can't make a portable device advanced enough to last through PS5/XSX generation; the gap is too big. However, they can make a device that runs Switch games at higher resolutions and framerates, maybe with some other improvements like draw distance and textures, and uses an OLED panel. Such a device would make Nintendo's games look very nice, and might also be able to run a few XBO/PS4 ports that a standard Switch could not. I think that's as far as they'll take it.

Kenpachii

Do people even care about specs? pro will be nothing but a update. maybe a bit faster cpu / gpu bit more memory and better screen and that's about it.

Pull n Pray

Banned
It will be outdated at release, and it doesn't matter. They're not gonna try to compete with the PS5 and XSX, they're not even gonna get to base PS4 level, but if it's at least a noticeable improvement over the original it's gonna sell very well.
It will be more powerful than base PS4. If not, that would be a huge disappointment.

Pull n Pray

Banned
This, Nintendo fans are like apple fans they just buy what's given to the them to keeping doing what they've always been enjoying, playing Nintendo games. Then they don't touch it for a while because that's all they can play.

Pandora's box was the vita, psnow streaming there. Nintendo saves costs by cutting corners and they know thier backwards ass approach to tech won't matter, thier fans will buy it anyway
Pandora's box is a negative thing. Opening it means you were messing with something you didn't understand and caused a lot of complicated problems.

Animagic

Banned
It doesn’t matter. It’s the form factor and hybrid concept.

It’s taking your actual games with you instead of having to pack a giant system for vacation or whatever. Or on a plane, or in the next room.

It’s what I personally wished the vita could do back when it came out.

Honesty iterating on specs every 5 years like Apple does with iPads will cement the Switch hybrid model as the dominant way to play games going forward.

brian0057

Banned
JPvapzH.gif

Fbh

They don't need to compete in Power. If the Switch isn't the most powerful handheld gaming device on the market it doesn't really matter.

All they have to do is:
-Continue offering affordable hardware.
-Continue having games like Mario Kart, Smash, Zelda, 3D Mario, Animal Crossing and Pokemon

For the vas majority of the Switch target audience it's basically irrelevant if there's some $900 handheld PC with better performance

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Handheld gaming PC's suffer from the same problem Steam boxes suffered from. No standardization and inconsistent experiences. The best ones are so pricey that you might as well invest in an actual PC.

They aren't going to make the next Switch seem dated because Switch isn't actually competing with them. People buy Switch because Nintendo, not because it's powerful. Powerful hardware isn't what makes Nintendo games fun.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Some people still don’t get it.

Most people don’t buy something because of the gpu or cpu or how “up to date” the hardware is.

It’s actually “Hey we can play the new mario kart on this!”

Or Pokémon. Or Zelda.

The idea that people buy for specs is so, so wrong.
Why make an upgrade at all then?

Aren't the rumors for the Switch Pro that they're going to have DLSS capabilities? They're still using Nvidia so I would imagine. I've read that, when docked, the Switch Pro is aiming for "4k" resolution. A simple hardware bump is not going to achieve that without the help of DLSS. Looking forward to what comes of this.

Anyone expecting more than a bump like PS4 Pro was for PS4 is gonna be disappointed. Its been 4 years already, they arent going to put in massive resources because for sure they want to have a new Nintendo console in the next 2 years. I know people say they dont directly compete with other two consoles but this is more about third party.

Switch is a great system for indies, first party and 2d games. New third party are starting to look like shit for example WRC9. PS5 and XSX are just going to keep getting more and more demanding games, they wont rely on Switch Pro to keep those going. So thats why I think this will be a little boost rather than some game changing difference to compete with teh current gen.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
Anyone expecting more than a bump like PS4 Pro was for PS4 is gonna be disappointed. Its been 4 years already, they arent going to put in massive resources because for sure they want to have a new Nintendo console in the next 2 years. I know people say they dont directly compete with other two consoles but this is more about third party.

Switch is a great system for indies, first party and 2d games. New third party are starting to look like shit for example WRC9. PS5 and XSX are just going to keep getting more and more demanding games, they wont rely on Switch Pro to keep those going. So thats why I think this will be a little boost rather than some game changing difference to compete with teh current gen.
This cycle of disappointment regarding power happens pretty much for every new Nintendo console but people never learn. I mean at this rate even a goldfish have better memory.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Anyone think ms is working on a handheld?
I think they are, just a matter of when they will release it. That is unless they do get Nintendo to agree to gamepass ........

Zannegan

Agreed.

It would be too expensive to try to get within porting distance of the PS5/XSX in a handheld barely a year after launch. But, even if they could do it for $400, where would the advantage be? A mid-gen refresh doesn't work as a ploy to "keep up" or "ensure ports."

Honestly, even treating a 2x jump plus DLSS (edit) as guaranteed is risky. The whole upgrade could conceivably be a bigger, OLED screen and a tiny jump in power. Unless they're expecting a successor (and even then) people need to keep their expectations in check... and Nintendo needs to hurry up and show it.

Last edited:

Davevil

I think they are, just a matter of when they will release it. That is unless they do get Nintendo to agree to gamepass ........
No need for MS... with Razer Kishi (or similar) , a powerful cellphone and GamePass they are full cover.

Woopah

This, Nintendo fans are like apple fans they just buy what's given to the them to keeping doing what they've always been enjoying, playing Nintendo games. Then they don't touch it for a while because that's all they can play.

Pandora's box was the vita, psnow streaming there. Nintendo saves costs by cutting corners and they know thier backwards ass approach to tech won't matter, thier fans will buy it anyway
The Wii U alone shows this is completely wrong. Just look at the history of Nintendo's hardware sales.
Why make an upgrade at all then?
Increase the average selling price of the hardware, encourage some households to buy a 2nd or 3rd Switch, and attract new customers who care about framerate and resolution.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
No need for MS... with Razer Kishi (or similar) , a powerful cellphone and GamePass they are full cover.

I dont think this is true at all, it's no replacement for lag free local gaming on a dedicated gaming device. There's also the issue of killing your cell phone battery when you need it for other things.

I think the switch selling as well as it has sort of proves that.

Last edited:

daclynk

Switch Pro will be fine with DLSS(if true) with NVIDIA and Nintendo's partnership lasting for about two decades so im ok. But the Switch 2 will be the most Advance Hybrid gaming system on the Market
giphy.gif

Last edited:

daclynk

so salty and so wrong. virtual boy and GameCube and wii u all prove it.

Zannegan

Maybe, if they can find a way to make an XSS-level handheld. Otherwise, I don't think they can feasibly add a third power profile for developers to worry about porting their current/next gen games to. If they are, I don't think it would hit in the next couple of years, but they might be able to make such a device in time to go head-to-head with the Switch 2. *shrug*

Last edited:

tassletine

How does it not feel dated on release compared to PC's?
The same way every console maker does. Hype it the fuck up.

You need more patience and skill to be a PC gamer. Only a little bit, but you'd be surprised at how lazy people are.

One of the reasons Switch did so well, is Nintendo worked extremely hard simplifying the experience.
Everyone is giving credit to Sony right now for their SSD but it was NIntendo that stepped up with fast loading times with the Switch.

That fact alone was a HUGE strategic move as anyone with a Switch PS4/ Xbox combo automatically turned on their Switch when faced with a software/hardware update.

NIntendo know what they are doing. They've never been about impressing people with raw power, but often how smart they are. Sony have that too. Microsoft not so much.

NahaNago

It's going to be dated on release no matter what. This is Nintendo and this is a handheld (most likely) so that pretty much destroys any hope for non-dated hardware.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
They'll release a Zelda and a Mario game, both will look and play great and order will be restored to the world.

Nautilus

Banned

I wouldn't say that Nintendo's 10th gen system will come out in the next 2 years, but yeah, the Pro is just a revision.I don't understand why some people think that Nintendo is going mobile with this, in the sense that it will make the Switch iterative.Different industries, different priorities. I don't think that would be even possible in the long term.

But people really shouldn't worry that much.As with we have been seeing, the impact that power has in game development is diminishing ever since the 8th gen, and given the massive success of the Switch, Square,Capcom, indies in general, will keep on developing for the Switch, regardless of the PS5 and Series X.

kiphalfton

Nintendo's key demographic is kids. So there's really no point for them to implement better hardware, since kids couldn't care less about graphics. Really this whole argument over Nintendo needing to improve their hardware is a moot point.

Last edited:

Woopah

Nintendo's key demographic is kids. So there's really no point for them to implement better hardware, since kids couldn't care less about graphics. Really this whole argument over Nintendo needing to improve their hardware is a moot point.
Nintendo's demographic are people who like fun games and don't care too much about graphics. Kids are only a small part of that.

Meesh

I'm thinking the pro is a modest bump, that's it. Nintendos waaaaay to conservative to do too much but will probably add some other features to make it more user friendly, like a better kick stand, charge port on top cuz holy that's silly.
I think the biggest improvements will be software and the online.

Last edited:

yurinka

Last edited:
A portable pc is still a pc, with all the manteinance it takes. A switch is a dedicated console.
And the cheapest portable pc I've seen costs like 800 bucks

Entroyp

I’m sure a few people would like to carry their nude mods to the toilet but competing toe to toe with a handheld Nintendo device? Nope.

MagnesG

Banned
It's been 4 years already, they aren't going to put in massive resources because for sure they want to have a new Nintendo console in the next 2 years.
Furukawa said the Switch is only halfway through its lifecycle in the last investor briefing in March. The new console won't come in the next 2 years.

target-audience-game-actual-audience-call-duty-black-op51-ifunny-ce-34064490.png

Ten_Fold

No, they don’t need to be at ps5/series X level. I think people will assume the pro will at least hit base ps4 level which means they will receive ports still for a while, and the games will look much better especially in 4K.

Top Bottom