• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch Pro Could Feature A Mini-LED Display, According To A New Report

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The latest rumour comes from Economic Daily News and suggests that an upgraded version of Nintendo's all-conquering hybrid console could come with a Mini-LED display courtesy of Taiwanese panel manufacturer Innolux Corporation.

The report suggests that Nintendo has recently visited Innolux, with the insinuation that it may be parting company with its current screen suppliers Sharp and JDI and using Mini-LED display technology from Innolux in an upgraded Switch rumoured to arrive next year.

For anyone unfamiliar with Mini-LED technology, no, this doesn't mean that a new Switch will incorporate some tiny little screen into an upgraded Joy-Con or anything zany like that (so you can stop imagining a VMU revival like we were for a hot minute!). Rather, the main screen on the new console would use Mini-LED technology as opposed to the backlit 720p LCD screen in the current models.

Still not sure what Mini-LED is? Well, it's probably best described as a 'hybrid' of current backlit LCD screens with OLED-style local illumination. Each pixel in an OLED screen emits its own light and can be turned on or off individually, whereas LCD screens rely on illumination from backlights which can result in light spill and dark areas of the screen that appear 'grey' rather than black (think about how the illuminated 'black' screen looks on your Switch when you first turn it on).

LordOfChaos

Nintendo doesn't exactly go for spendy bleeding edge features of late. They may visit a lot of factories in negotiations. Doubt until proven wrong, but I'd love to be, would be cool.

Still not sure what Mini-LED is? Well, it's probably best described as a 'hybrid' of current backlit LCD screens with OLED-style local illumination. Each pixel in an OLED screen emits its own light and can be turned on or off individually, whereas LCD screens rely on illumination from backlights which can result in light spill and dark areas of the screen that appear 'grey' rather than black (think about how the illuminated 'black' screen looks on your Switch when you first turn it on).

Should also note it's not the same as microLED, the holy grail where each LED is pixel sized. Mini LED is more like a further enhanced local dimming panel, but each LED may cover hundreds of pixels, so on hard situations there's still bloom unlike an OLED or future microLED. I.e a Micro LED TV might have 10,000 LEDs for 8.3 million pixels, a microLED one will have 8.3 million LEDs.

Last edited:
Obviously there will be a new Nintendo console/handheld but all this is rumor. Though I'm looking forward to it. I would hope a new Switch is backwards compatible. That and they fix the drift problem.

xBlueStonex

Please don't. Just give me an undockable Switch that has the power of modern consoles. Playing Breath of the Wild at 4K 60fps would bring tears to my eyes.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Please don't. Just give me an undockable Switch that has the power of modern consoles. Playing Breath of the Wild at 4K 60fps would bring tears to my eyes.
I wouldn't mind if it had display out via USB-C like the og switch so I could connect it to a display via powered USB-C hub with HDMI. And let me connect a pro controller to it. If we're going pro don't leave out what makes a switch a switch.

vmu_tetris.png__image_png

Whatevs'. NEXT!

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
right. i was hoping the Switch Pro would be traditional console that just plugs into the wall/TV. no screen of its own, no battery, no joycons.

give me a beefed up boring black box + a pro controller. i'd rather not worry about battery life and i want to be able to play on my 4K tv.

So it begins.... When do you think we will see the newest revision? Spring or Fall 2021?
got a feeling it's gonna be fall.

apple is rumored to have mini led ipads/laptops next year and they will probably be first in line for new stuff like this. but i don't know how many manufacturers there are of Mini LED displays... and of course a Switch would have much smaller display than any ipad/laptop so it could be that yields will be better suited to Nintendo.

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
unpossible, this is too expensive for Nintendo. At best, they get a 120hz oled screen, which are more commonly used now in phones, but still expensive.

You should be happy if Nintendo gives a >90% dci-p3, 400nits 10bit IPS with 1500:1 cr....

Last edited:

Fbh

Isn't mini led still fairly expensive?
Doesn't align with the usual "make as cheaply as possible, sell as expensive as possible" approach from Nintendo.

Top Bottom